Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

X3 Reunion Downloads

The Egosoft Website has a couple of recent updates of interest to owners of X3: Reunion, the space combat sequel. They offer version 0.7a of the XTended-Mod (XTM), which will "add hour upon hour of game play and transform X3: Reunion into a different game." They are also offering the X3 Reunion - Bonus Package 3.1.06, which bundles a number of new ships and other items for the game. Thanks Trueman832.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Copycrap Jun 28, 2007, 12:08 IQ

So is this one with a less amoral and crappy "protection" system than the first one?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: THIS is what I was talking about: Jun 27, 2007, 09:55 Wildone

Yea but what we saw in that tech demo, is easily achievable with todays graphics engines, EASILY! I guess no one 'gets it' that if they made a game like that it'd sell like hot cakes..

18. Re: THIS is what I was talking about: Jun 27, 2007, 04:23 BrutalDeluxe

Ah yes, Nexus, released in 04 if my memory serves me well (I'm a bit of space sim geek :D). Well it's not Elite-ish at all, it's more like homeworld. The gfx are good, but nowhere near that tech demo you saw on YouTube. More like H2 with some better light effects.

In terms of gameplay, well, as I said if you're looking for Elite you're going to be disapointed. You can't pilot a freighter or anything, you're stuck with that annoying 'alien' ship that can be upgraded. Personally I gave up on it after a few days.

17. THIS is what I was talking about: Jun 26, 2007, 23:07 Wildone

We should be playing this about now....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhZQEvg1V0Y

16. LOL Jun 26, 2007, 19:20 Cheese

X2 was ok esp bandana lol. I didnt try X3 but with this xtension mod its time for me to consider it. I remember xtension for X and it was great.

15. Re: Space sims dead? Not OUR fault. Jun 26, 2007, 19:00 Wildone

for $5 its worth it

14. Re: Space sims dead? Not OUR fault. Jun 26, 2007, 18:57 MMORPGHoD

IIRC the last retail release does not have Starforce at all, and in any case the recent patches removed it from the game. If you have the original X3 release, it will install Starforce along with the game, but you can then use a Starforce removal tool to purge it from your system, and then just patch the game.

Good. I think I'll get in on this deal then:

http://www.gogamer.com/X3--Reunion-Front-Page_stcVVproductId4761739VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm

I don't think I can go wrong for $5. OK, I'm sure there's someone out there that will tell me I'm still wasting my money. But hey, there was a time when I was looking forward to this game and if they got rid of SF I'll give it a try.

13. Re: Space sims dead? Not OUR fault. Jun 26, 2007, 18:14 Wildone

Im still trying to remember the space sim demo I saw..I have the video at home and will attempt to load it to Youtube later..it'll really blow ur mind;)

12. Re: Space sims dead? Not OUR fault. Jun 26, 2007, 18:13 Wildone

I loved IWar, and IWAR2 was ok but a missed oppertunity..I was a big Elite fan too and look forward to 2010 for the next one(?! long wait..)

11. Re: Space sims dead? Not OUR fault. Jun 26, 2007, 17:22 Shadowcat

Does X3 have StarForce ?
IIRC the last retail release does not have Starforce at all, and in any case the recent patches removed it from the game. If you have the original X3 release, it will install Starforce along with the game, but you can then use a Starforce removal tool to purge it from your system, and then just patch the game.

10. Re: Space sims dead? Not OUR fault. Jun 26, 2007, 17:20 BadIronTree

lol they remove it on the second patch... now they are in the 13 patch

9. Re: Space sims dead? Not OUR fault. Jun 26, 2007, 17:19 Shadowcat

The sectors where big but felt small.. nothing's in them aside from a few stations
Well... space is mostly empty. And if you had some kind of jump-gate technology, why wouldn't you group everything pretty close together around the gate? Spreading things out just for the sake of it would make no sense.

I'm not saying you don't have legitimate qualms with the atmosphere or gameplay (lots of people find the sectors to be all much of a muchness), but I'm not sure how much water this particular argument holds.

Sounds like you're not looking for an X game, at any rate.

Play "I-War 2", I say. It's freaking awesome.

8. X3's CD Check Removed w/ Patch 2.0+. Jun 26, 2007, 17:10 MysterD

The original CD (in the USA) and DVD editions (in Europe) of X3: Reunion comes equipped w/ StarForce...
...THOUGH, b/c of all the problems w/ StarForce, Egosoft decided to remove the CD checking (by Starforce) with a patch.
Installing Patch 2.0 (and above) updates X3 to remove the CD checking from the game's boot-up. It'll never check for the CD again.
(Though, if you installed either of these editions, you'd have to remove SF manually, if you so choose to.)

There's a new re-released DVD-ROM version of the X3 sold at stores now, which is X3: Reunion 2.0, which comes without StarForce period.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 17:18.

7. Re: Space sims dead? Not OUR fault. Jun 26, 2007, 16:45 MMORPGHoD

Does X3 have StarForce ? I seem to recall that and comments that mentioned it as buggy as my reason to avoid it.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 16:47.

6. Re: Space sims dead? Not OUR fault. Jun 26, 2007, 16:44 Wildone

I DO agree the ships and stations looked awesome in X3, but with the complete lack of feel when flying them it was just eye candy. Maybe if there was a cockpit it'd help a little bit, but they needed to work on how the ships handled..it was too 3d camera'ish flyin around.
The sectors where big but felt small.. nothing's in them aside from a few stations, I did'nt get the sense I was exploring space just going from 1 jump gate to another, with some factory's in them?
I dont see why they cant combine the exploration with the combat, with some intense graphics and scenario's..I wanna fly over the hull of a behemoth f*king mothership and get a sense of speed,detail, scale and excitment..I dont want a fleet management 3rd person crap..I wanna be IN the cockpit.

I saw a tech demo video of just such a game altho I forgot the name right now..but it had all these elements and showed whats possible with a current hardware..if I find it I'll post the link, or maybe someone else might.

5. Re: Space sims dead? Not OUR fault. Jun 26, 2007, 16:29 HardCore

I'm not understanding some of these comments, unless they are from just lack of time with the game. I know it's not everyones style...and it had it's share of bugs...but

X3 had plenty of immersive feel...
It felt like like real space more than probably any space sim before it. The ship scale feels huge, but the sectors are too big for people to get a sense of scale unless you are close to a ship or station, then you know.

The sectors are small??? List me 5 games that "render" that scale and size in it, too hard, ok list me 2. The sectors are very large X,Y,Z, almost too big because sometimes you have to search for things on the outskirts.

Oh and as for graphics, X3 has the best ship renders of any space sim. Unfortunately they had to tone graphics down a bit because peoples machines couldn't handle it.

People can complain if they didn't like the game or it's style, but some of those other complaints are not accurate. I too would like a Freespace style game again, but this is just a different style of game.

I'm still amazed Egosoft continues pouring free time to test and package bonus packs, etc. I applaud them.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 16:31.

4. Space sims dead? Not OUR fault. Jun 26, 2007, 15:59 BrutalDeluxe

Right so the space sim genre(s) is/are dead. There are 2 types really: 1) the Elite kind 2) the Wing Commander kind. And if you read the commentaries from the publishers both genre are dead because apparently we didn't buy enough Freespace and Freelancer copies. What a joke!

The genre is dead because space sims are always : 1) buggy 2) fugly. Seriously, it's as if the genre is cursed. After Elite, Frontier was released too early, too buggy. Every Elite clone that followed had the same problem, especially X3, which was unplayable until 1.3.

2) fugly because if you look at any of them, the ships are always a crap bunch of simple polys, when they could be so much more! Take Oblivion, remove the sky, the ground, the trees, well, everything and you're left with what? Character models. That's your ships in a space sim. With what they save on GPU/CPU usage not rendering environments, they could build incredibly realistic-looking ship models that break realistically, but no, always the same 3 polys. Just check out Sins of a Solar empire - even though I'm a big Stardock fanboy it's hard not to be disappointed at the poor gfx.Oh and before you start mentioning Haegemonia, please see point #1

It's quite sad that the only half-decent space Sim out there is a near-abandoned FOOS project (vegastrike). Oh Braben, where are thou?

3. ... Jun 26, 2007, 15:32 theyarecomingforyou

X3 was a complete waste of a game. It didn't have any feel whatsoever - nothing like Starlancer or even the antiquated Tie Fighter. There hasn't been a decent space sim in a LONG time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

2. Re: Where's Creston... Jun 26, 2007, 13:34 Wildone

I could'nt get past the feeling of the small size of this game..yes SMALL. Just fly between jump gates, new smallish area filled with a few factors. Wash & repeat x10000.
The 'ships' had no sense of weight or mass..it was like flying a camera around a starfield. Very un-interesting.

1. Where's Creston... Jun 26, 2007, 13:00 The Half Elf

I need his personal review before I consider reinstalling X3 again.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo