Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ET: QUAKE Wars to Include Ads

A Word About In-Game Ads on the Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Official Community Site reveals plans to include in-game advertising in Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars, saying this will fund post-release support for the upcoming multiplayer shooter:

Hi, I'm Neil Postlethwaite, Splash Damage's Managing Director and one of the Producers on Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars. I'd like to talk to you today about the in-game advertising we have in ETQW.

For the last four years, we've put all of our effort into making Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars. So, we're not planning to ship this game and walk away. We want to keep supporting ETQW in as many ways as possible. We'll be maintaining the persistent stats servers and the community site, and continuing to support ETQW with updates and improvements.

To help cover this level of on-going support without passing the costs on to the gamer, ETQW will feature appropriate advertisements in select locations of our levels. The ads aren't intrusive and you won't have to interact with them; they'll just be part of the normal environment. In fact, there are some places it's quite odd not to have an advertisement - the sides of container trucks, for example. Great care is being taken to ensure that all our ads are appropriate for the game world and we have absolute approval rights in this area. If it's not appropriate or it's distracting, it won't go in.

The company providing the ad system does not and will not store any personal information or data that otherwise can be used to identify you. All they track is if and how long you look at the advertisements.

For those of you participating in the upcoming beta, you will get a chance to see them for yourself very soon. And of course we will be releasing a demo prior to the retail launch of the game so everyone can check them out first.

Choosing to place ads in Enemy Territory was not a decision we made lightly. However, in doing so we hope to be able to provide a higher level of on-going support to the Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars community than would have been possible otherwise.

View
211 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

151. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 20, 2007, 12:02 JD

Yes, advertising has already invaded console games. If we bar it from PC games (by refusing to buy PC games which have ads), that puts PC games even further behind their console competitors.
You are missing the forest for the trees here. I am advocating that consumers avoid ALL video games with this ingame advertising in them NOT just PC games. Sure I prefer to play games on the PC, but the choice of platform is not the problem on this issue because these ads and tracking systems are being incorporated into games for the console platforms too. PC games would only fall further behind consoles over this issue if consumers bought console games INSTEAD of PC games with ads in them. My point is that they should not buy ANY games with ads on any platform.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 12:03.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

150. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 20, 2007, 11:53 Brian

"This isn't a PC versus console game issue because ingame advertising is starting to invade games for consoles as well. Sure I greatly prefer gaming on the PC, but even if all PC games disappeared tomorrow due to consumer avoidance, advertising in video games wouldn't."

You're very much mistaken, and you've missed my point. Yes, advertising has already invaded console games. If we bar it from PC games (by refusing to buy PC games which have ads), that puts PC games even further behind their console competitors.

And PC vs. console development IS a factor, at least for the time being. It may happen that the two platforms converge at some point in the future, but right now... PC games are comparatively a development headache. With a console you have one set of system specs, whereas with a PC you have a myriad of hardware and software considerations, and those considerations cost money. As an end user, you have to go out of your way to pirate console games. On the PC, however, all you need do is borrow the game disc and download a crack from a certain popular web-site (which shall remain nameless.) PC titles hemorrhage a lot of cash to piracy. This does not make publishers happy. That's one of the biggest reasons that MMORPGs (and this includes Guild Wars) are so viable on the PC - simply because you can't pirate them.

149. Re: Here we go again. Jun 20, 2007, 11:19 Overon

Stroggs use Tampax?
Tampax is the Earth brand. Female Strogg use Stroggpax. Didn't you notice the ad on the side of that truck? The truck was ambushed during a routine delivery by the evil human GDF.

P.S. I believe the singular and plural is "Strogg".

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 17:34.

148. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 20, 2007, 11:15 JD

The people who sign the checks for PC game development want to see their product compete with console games. There's only so much shelf space to be had. We can either give a little, and help the platform out... or we throw a fit and potentially hamstring our preferred medium.
This isn't a PC versus console game issue because ingame advertising is starting to invade games for consoles as well. Sure I greatly prefer gaming on the PC, but even if all PC games disappeared tomorrow due to consumer avoidance, advertising in video games wouldn't.

147. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 20, 2007, 10:52 Brian

"hahahaha That has to be the most exaggerated analogy I have ever seen. The worst case scenario of consumers completely refusing to buy games with ads in them in nowhere near as dire as that. At worst there will be fewer games or games might cost a little more, but so long as there is demand for video games, there will be games on the market."

Actually it was a metaphor, and it's only exaggerated if you take it literally. :-) My point is that we need to leave room to *breathe.* PC games are already threatened by console alternatives. Developing on a console is cheaper and easier, and console games are harder to pirate (I can qualify these assertions if you need me to.) If it weren't for MMORPGs, who knows where PC gaming would be right now. The bottom line is, well, the bottom line. The people who sign the checks for PC game development want to see their product compete with console games. There's only so much shelf space to be had. We can either give a little, and help the platform out... or we throw a fit and potentially hamstring our preferred medium.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 10:55.

146. No subject Jun 20, 2007, 10:51 beigemore

Remember when everyone was saying they wouldn't buy a Wii when Nintendo first announced that it was going to be called "Wii?"

145. err? Jun 20, 2007, 10:47 ^mortis^

...saying this will fund post-release support for the upcoming multiplayer shooter

Yeah, like that Vampire: Bloodlines game...looks at all the support the publisher and developer have put out long after the game left store shelves...

OH, WAIT...

THAT WAS THE COMMUNITY, AND THEY DID IT FOR FREE.

regardless, assuming it's much ado about nothing, just like it was for BF2142...they'll probably fail or be such an outcry that they'll either not appear or disappear soon after release.

144. To be clear... Jun 20, 2007, 10:40 Brian

I don't want to be misunderstood. Yes, I think many of you are overreacting... however, I must say, that I'm really impressed with the passion and conviction I'm seeing here. If you guys honestly feel this strongly about the ad issue, then I sincerely applaud you for boycotting the game. If more people had the guts to deny themselves a luxury for the sake of their principles, capitalism would be a lot more attentive to we the consumer. Kudos, guys. Seriously.

143. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 20, 2007, 10:39 JD

I hear you, but let's not start off with a "zero tolerance" attitude or, like in our American schools, we'll wind up suspending small children for bringing plastic silverware to school on account of them having a "knife" in their possession.
hahahaha That has to be the most exaggerated analogy I have ever seen. The worst case scenario of consumers completely refusing to buy games with ads in them in nowhere near as dire as that. At worst there will be fewer games or games might cost a little more, but so long as there is demand for video games, there will be games on the market.

this isn't - in my opinion - the time to put our foot down.
No, this is the only time when consumers will be able to put their foot down. If consumers in significant numbers don't avoid the relatively few games that have this advertising in them now, then business will interpret that as marketplace acceptance and all games will have ads in them. Once that happens trying to get ads removed from all or most games will be impossible. The only argument will be how much and what kind of advertising to accept in them not if they should have advertising at all.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 13:48.

142. Re: No subject Jun 20, 2007, 10:27 _neolith_

My fucking god. Block the ip to the ad servers and shut the fuck up.

That's not the point - I don't want to have to turn off the ads that way.
I prefer my games without ads, so I'll vote with my money here.

141. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 20, 2007, 10:25 Brian

"Businesses like to push the envelope as far as they can. What starts off small could very well become a torrent of ads as has happened in the real world."

I hear you, but let's not start off with a "zero tolerance" attitude or, like in our American schools, we'll wind up suspending small children for bringing plastic silverware to school on account of them having a "knife" in their possession. We can't be reactionary about this. Yes, a slippery slope IS possible and YES we as community must be vigilant AGAINST this possibility, but this isn't - in my opinion - the time to put our foot down. If I EVER, and I mean EVER, catch a whiff of escalation, I promise you that I'll prove one of your staunchest allies. Until then, at least *see* what the game (and it ads) looks like before pronouncing judgment against it.

140. Re: Ads Jun 20, 2007, 10:25 _neolith_

Not buying a kick ass game because of ads is just fucking retarded.

That's called freedom of choice.

If I don't want ads in a game then I don't buy it. It would be retarded to buy the game even though I don't want the ads.

139. Re: Ads Jun 20, 2007, 10:24 kanniballl

I mean, the only billboard I can even remember from real life is some church group that got this giant billboard and it says "Jesus", that is it!

Here in Jersey, billboards are becomming less common. I mostly see them on only certain highways once I start getting near an urban area, though I've seen a few in Suburban towns near their business/commercial sections.

I also see them when I (rarely) visit NYC.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
This comment was edited on Jun 20, 10:24.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

138. No subject Jun 20, 2007, 10:21 JaZeeL

My fucking god. Block the ip to the ad servers and shut the fuck up.

Oh wait, I know one response, "we don't know if that'll be viable solution with ETQW." Who fucking cares, you'll find out eventually. It won't be the end of your pathetic lives.

137. Re: Ads Jun 20, 2007, 10:19 Enahs

I certainly am not saying that money is evil. There is no need to distort and exaggerate my position to make yourself feel correct. The problem here is a lack of balance. Having business generate a little less money due to reduced advertising is NOT evil and will not put them out of business. As a society we don't need to be pigs at the money trough.

I completely agree. And I was not doing anything to try and make me feel correct. I was only pointing out how you are coming off, which just in turn hurts your argument(s), which are valid.

It really comes down to personal opinion. Which I am personally for if done properly, and personally against if done improperly. Also, if they even work? I mean, the only billboard I can even remember from real life is some church group that got this giant billboard and it says "Jesus", that is it! I always thought Jesuses people should get into the modern media advertisement, maybe we will see some for him in ET:QW! hah hah.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

136. PEPSI Jun 20, 2007, 10:16 Fausticle

What better way to bitch and moan then while drinking an ice cold refreshing PEPSI?

Pepsi...its the right thing to do.

~PEPSI~

135. Re: Ads Jun 20, 2007, 10:14 Grounded

WHO

CARES

JESUS CHRIST you all argue like little grandmothers

JUST KILL THINGS

Fuck I play Rainbow Six Vegas with Mind Freak billboards all over the place who gives a flying donkey fuck???

If this is the worst thing you people have to worry about then you need something to do

Not buying a kick ass game because of ads is just fucking retarded.

134. Re: Time to ante up Jun 20, 2007, 10:14 Enahs

ave costs increased? Yes. Skyrocketed? Absolutely unprovable.

What?

Doom did not even cost a million to make. Quake maybe cost right at 1 million. The first Splinter Cell cost right around a million. Super Mario Bros cost a few thousand to make! Are you telling me that only sold a few hundred or a few thousand? They might not be a "few guys in a garage", but it was a small number of people not in a multi-million dollar building.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

133. Re: Ads Jun 20, 2007, 10:10 JD

You make ads out like they are evil, and businesses wanting to make money are evil.
Ads certainly directly benefit business and usually indirectly benefit consumers from a financial perspective, but still when given a choice, I and most consumers prefer experiencing no ads. Right now video game consumers still have a choice. There are still plenty of games on the market which don't contain advertising. However, if enough consumers start accepting these games with advertising in them now, in the future there will be no real choice. Not buying video games with ads in them will simply mean that not playing any video games.

You also seem to be implying that the government should regulate all private property and ban all ads.
Don't exagerrate my actual statements to suit your position. My point is that when given a choice, citizens prefer an unspoiled landscape. The problem is that citizens aren't given this option in most places. Sure advertising is a nececssary evil, but it need not be a necessary evil everywhere.

With out ads, most business do not make profit, with out profit from the "evil big businesses" we would not have the internet, computers, video games, cheap food, etc. All is not evil.
Reducing and limiting advertising from the obscene levels of it consumers now experience will not make these companies go out of business. The inundation of advertising into all aspects of consumers' lives is still a relatively new phenomenon from a historical perspective. One hundred and even fifty years ago it certainly wasn't this prevalent. The problem is that over time businesses have gotten so avid in their pursuit of profit, that they now seek to exploit every possible revenue generating opportunity at the expense of consumers. And no these extra profits are not being passed directly to the consumer in the form of less expensive goods and better customer service. They are being poured into companies coffers and stockholders' pockets. As a stockholder I am elated, but as a consumer and citizen I am repulsed. I would gladly give some of that money back for at least a small reprieve from advertising.

Money is not evil
I certainly am not saying that money is evil. There is no need to distort and exaggerate my position to make yourself feel correct. The problem here is a lack of balance. Having business generate a little less money due to reduced advertising is NOT evil and will not put them out of business. As a society we don't need to be pigs at the money trough.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 11:40.

132. Re: Time to ante up Jun 20, 2007, 10:10 _neolith_

Unprovable? Why do you say that? It is one of the most easiest and obvious things to prove. Games use to could be made with a couple of guys in a garage. Once games became a popular business, they where taking hundreds of thousands of dollars to make. They are now costing in the rage of tens of millions. HL2 took something like 40+ million to make.

The games that were made by a guy or two in their garage sold a few hundred, maybe a few thousand times. Today games can sell a few million times.

211 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo