Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ET: QUAKE Wars to Include Ads

A Word About In-Game Ads on the Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Official Community Site reveals plans to include in-game advertising in Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars, saying this will fund post-release support for the upcoming multiplayer shooter:

Hi, I'm Neil Postlethwaite, Splash Damage's Managing Director and one of the Producers on Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars. I'd like to talk to you today about the in-game advertising we have in ETQW.

For the last four years, we've put all of our effort into making Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars. So, we're not planning to ship this game and walk away. We want to keep supporting ETQW in as many ways as possible. We'll be maintaining the persistent stats servers and the community site, and continuing to support ETQW with updates and improvements.

To help cover this level of on-going support without passing the costs on to the gamer, ETQW will feature appropriate advertisements in select locations of our levels. The ads aren't intrusive and you won't have to interact with them; they'll just be part of the normal environment. In fact, there are some places it's quite odd not to have an advertisement - the sides of container trucks, for example. Great care is being taken to ensure that all our ads are appropriate for the game world and we have absolute approval rights in this area. If it's not appropriate or it's distracting, it won't go in.

The company providing the ad system does not and will not store any personal information or data that otherwise can be used to identify you. All they track is if and how long you look at the advertisements.

For those of you participating in the upcoming beta, you will get a chance to see them for yourself very soon. And of course we will be releasing a demo prior to the retail launch of the game so everyone can check them out first.

Choosing to place ads in Enemy Territory was not a decision we made lightly. However, in doing so we hope to be able to provide a higher level of on-going support to the Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars community than would have been possible otherwise.

View
211 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

71. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 20, 2007, 00:10 JD

Careful now. You *could* do that, but you couldn't use that as an excuse to buy the game. After all, it's the principle right? The ads themselves are not the issue. If you bought the game, you'd be supporting the practice.
I know you are being sarcastic, but actually your fake point is valid. If enough consumers accept this, it will become the norm. Every game will have this ad crap in it. Not only that but such blocking of the ads and tracking is also most likely a violation of the game's license agreement.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 00:11.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 20, 2007, 00:09 sponge

You are correct. If ad blocking was viable for this game then I could have a real dilemma. But this game has to be the second coming for there to be this dilemma.

I'm curious, what if modders were allowed to remove the ads, or custom maps made without ads? Or server admins were allowed to disable it on servers without the ranked stats tracking? Or hell, even a simple hosts block or something adjusted in the console?

It doesn't seem like the ads will actually have an affect on the SDK being released, the map editor, etc, as it appeared to with BF2142.

69. No subject Jun 20, 2007, 00:06 zirik

If it's not appropriate or it's distracting, it won't go in.

appropriate or distracting are things to consider. but the ads better be unique. ad that blends well with the games environment AND timeline are what they need. a good example are the intel core 2 extreme ads in bf2142. the tag line says something like "135 years strong". its appropriate and pokes fun at the games futuristic setting.

unlike the recent ad for the dvd release of ghost rider in bf2142. maybe dice should rethink what the future is like since the dvd is already being replaced by HD/bluray dvds. it would have been more appropriate if they said it was the 135th anniversary of the dvd release.

68. This is Stupid!!!! Jun 20, 2007, 00:05 ASAD

Why the hell i am gonna pay $US55 or more for a game and see stupid in game Adds!!!!!!

if they want to put adds so, they have to give the game for free!!!
i won't buy a game with adds!
they lost one more customer sorry.
i am so mad you pay to see adds, Awesome!!

67. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 20, 2007, 00:04 Brian

Overon: "You are correct. If ad blocking was viable for this game then I could have a real dilemma. But this game has to be the second coming for there to be this dilemma."

Hehe. You're a more reasonable person than I'd given you credit for. My apologies. :-)

66. Re: Chill (I am, is freezing) Jun 20, 2007, 00:04 JD

Do you get given free Tv sets or radios?
Your analogy is bullshit. A TV and radio is analogous to a PC not to game software/content. On TV and radio the bargain always was that viewers/listeners got free content in exchange for viewing (not being tracked but simply seeing and hearing) advertising. What game publishers are now expecting consumers to do is pay full price for content and then have to also endure both watching advertising and being watched by it. This would be like putting ads in pay-per-view television programming and making all viewers use one of those boxes which tracks their viewing habits.

if theres away to have zero ad,
It's called a URL filter. I never see ads and ads never see me on any website after the first visit. By the way most people would probably be shocked at all of the ad and tracking shit that gets downloaded behind the scenes during the loading of a webpage.

65. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 20, 2007, 00:02 Overon

Careful now. You *could* do that, but you couldn't use that as an excuse to buy the game. After all, it's the principle right? The ads themselves are not the issue. If you bought the game, you'd be supporting the practice.

You are correct. If ad blocking was viable for this game then I could have a real dilemma. But this game has to be the second coming for there to be this dilemma.

64. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 20, 2007, 00:01 Ray Singh

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really don't see it as an issue if done well. I have no problem if I see a Coke can lying on the ground instead of one that says Cola. Or a garbage truck with WM (Waste Management) on the side instead of Garbage Company X.

The majority of FPS's are quite dull and bland looking, every Quake is all a shade of brown. No Tampon company is going to pay money to place an ad in Quake Wars, thats just silly talk.

I pay for cable TV, yet I still have ads. I pay for cable internet, yet still get ads. I'd rather not have ads anywhere, but it's not that big a deal, there are plenty of more important issues.

63. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 20, 2007, 00:00 PropheT

Just because an ad is *noticed* doesn't mean that its intrusive, offensive or inappropriate for the aesthetic. Can we be rational about this? Or are we determined to throw a piss-fit here?

I, for one, will throw a piss-fit.

I hate it. I hate the idea of it. I absolutely hate seeing an ad plastered on something (or everything) every time I leave my house to do anything at all.

Billboards, signs, additional ads on those same signs, smaller signs nailed to the post of the bigger sign advertising something else. My mail is full of unsolicited ads, my email is full of ads. Every web page I go to is full of ads. TV is half ads, half show... product placement in movies, sometimes blatant. Radio is half ads, half music.

When is enough enough? Be rational about it if you want, but seriously...where do you draw the line? I do not want advertisements in my video games.

I prefer Hellgate's approach. I can pay if I want the ongoing support, not have ads foisted on me that I don't want regardless of how I feel about it.

62. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 19, 2007, 23:58 Brian

Overon: "Maybe someone will find the urls that are being used to serve ads and we can just add them to our hosts files so they are blocked...

I believe this was done with a few games with in game advertisements."

61. Re: Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 19, 2007, 23:54 Overon

Maybe someone will find the urls that are being used to serve ads and we can just add them to our hosts files so they are blocked...

I believe this was done with a few games with in game advertisements.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 23:58.

60. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2007, 23:54 sponge

But I still think a line has to be drawn about what is acceptable and what is not. Adware games are not acceptable, I rage against them because I don't want them to become the norm.

Fair enough. I personally don't see the harm, especially as I reserve the term adware for malicious programs that hide their intent. Regardless, I don't see a point in preaching either viewpoint like most of the posts here are keen on doing.

59. Inflamatory comparisons anyone? Jun 19, 2007, 23:51 Brian

Just because an ad is *noticed* doesn't mean that its intrusive, offensive or inappropriate for the aesthetic. Can we be rational about this? Or are we determined to throw a piss-fit here?

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 23:53.

58. Re: Another Lost Sale Jun 19, 2007, 23:50 JD

Shame on id for allowing their intellectual property to be soiled by this.
All of the major game publishers and now even Valve are in love with ingame ads. id probably had nothing to do with it. Activision makes this type of decision, and probably insisted on it. Which company actually hosts the stats site and official website for the game? That is the one to blame for these ads.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 00:05.

57. Re: Here we go again. Jun 19, 2007, 23:48 JD

Advertising is never "unobtrusive." You'll always notice it.
Exactly or it wouldn't be much of an ad. Plus here the ads will always notice you back.

56. Yup Jun 19, 2007, 23:47 Cheese

why put up with it? well if we could program a game as good as Quakewars will be programed then we wont have to put up with all the bullshitz but untill then theres nothing you can do about it except keep crying and hope we all take a stand aginst buying it.

Somehow I dont think thats gonna happen and even you know that much i hope. so why the ranting and screaming.

Its not new from you,do you even like games? are you so hurt that the perfect game hasnt arrived yet so you piss and moan untill it does?

Im glad to know ppl out here get all touchy about games but you get touchy about everything.

venomhed do you smile? im afraid to ask at what lol
but serious i have never seen the constant bickering about games.

Im gonna put you on the spot venomhed, you tell us what we should be playing, ok tell us what to spend our money on, you know we need your opinion to guide us you are a guru.

serious you must be, cause not one game measures up to your standards. wow what shrewdness what tact, what a gentleman. WRONG. go make yourself happy venomhed cause gaming is not it. or it might be what drives your nut case ass, who knows.

anyways I knda like you venomhed at least you speak your mind. even if i disagree i respect you just a tad. but dont get hard over that compliment i respect a lot of things just a tad. lol

55. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2007, 23:47 Overon

ts a future war with aliens. What pertinent ads could possibly be "unobtrusive"?

And, if the ads are truly "unobtrusive" and "hardly noticeable", then how the fuck did you convince anyone to actually pay to advertise in these "unobtrusive" and "hardly noticeable" areas? What was the sales pitch? "Hey advertisers - we have some very cool, small, and barely noticeable ad spots for sale. Interested?"
Ditto. Well put, good point.

54. Re: oops Jun 19, 2007, 23:46 Brian

Venomhed: Your "argument" is too ill supported to even address. Speaking of which, calling people "dicks" is probably not the best way to get your point across. At the very least try to use a variety of insults. Mix it up a little. You wouldn't want to give people the impression that you're slow. Oh, and it helps to understand what your point actually IS, before you begin speaking. Work on that.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 23:48.

53. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2007, 23:43 Overon

All i have to say is that I've been in the beta for about 5 or 6 months now and this game is sick.

you'll see... and when you do, you'll buy it.
You are right. I will try the demo no doubt. However I respect my buddy because his taste in games are largely similar to mine and chances are high if he does not like something I tend to agree with him.

But I still think a line has to be drawn about what is acceptable and what is not. Adware games are not acceptable, I rage against them because I don't want them to become the norm.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 23:46.

52. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2007, 23:40 sponge

I don't know. My buddy played it at some comic book convention and he said it was like bf2142 with nicer graphics with ton of weapon spam at chokepoints and the majority of players were playing covert ops. He weapon fire was weak, you had to fire many shots to bring people down.

TBH, I think there are better ways of judging the game than what a friend played at a comic book convention, such as the official demo which will still be released.

211 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo