Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

id Tech Demo Movie

GameTrailers has footage of yesterday's presentation in which John Carmack unveiled footage of id Software's new engine technology (thanks Kotaku). The shot-off-a-monitor footage is in classic ShakyCam style, but the resolution is fairly high for an internet clip.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: No subject Jun 14, 2007, 16:47  famished 

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. Doom3 shadows were RGB 0/0/0 - that is total lack of any color. That is not the case with this engine, there are details in the dark you can actually see. That's a difference.

Now that's progress!

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 16:47.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: No subject Jun 14, 2007, 07:26 _neolith_

I just installed the flashlight patch and watched it over again.
I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. Doom3 shadows were RGB 0/0/0 - that is total lack of any color. That is not the case with this engine, there are details in the dark you can actually see. That's a difference.

43. Re: No subject Jun 14, 2007, 07:04  famished 

Then I watched it again and turned my monitor a little brighter.

I just installed the flashlight patch and watched it over again.

42. Re: uugh... Jun 14, 2007, 03:56 Beaner

Games these days are looking great visually. I think a lot of us are getting too jaded or desensitized to all the miraculous things being done with game engines.

But if we are gonna be picky about judging graphics, Id have to say thus far the engine that has impressed me the most from just a visual standpoint is Crysis for its realism, lighting and such. iDs engine looks great, but it sometimes has a bit of that plastic look and like some mentioned it doesn't seem to showcase much in terms of wide open immerssive space. The Project Offset engine also looks impressive and from one tech demo, it showcases beautiful large open spaces. Im really curious to see whats done with the offset engine.

41. uugh... Jun 13, 2007, 21:42 OldScho0l

After watching this video, I can't help but notice that there are always cliffs or walls which limit the visual distance in Carmacks engines. I want to see large open areas in one of Carmacks engines for once. I'm not knocking the new tech. I just want to see large open areas like those found in Farcry, along with the new tech. I always feel like Carmacks engines are like the corridor shooters of old.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 21:44.

40. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 20:06 Fartacus

in case you and others who think that procedural textures are handled by the GPU. go to this website. it was featured by blue a long time ago. its a tech demo that uses procedural textures.

www.theprodukkt.com

and here is a quote from their tech section. GPU does not calculate procedural textures on the fly. its done when the map is loaded by the CPU.

First off, I'm a very seasoned graphics programmer, and I know that procedural textures can be calculated on a CPU, it is a general purpose processor after all. But traditional procedural textures are in fact generated in the fragment pipeline at the time the texture is sampled, whether or not that pipeline exists in the CPU or GPU. These days, the fragment pipeline usually exists on the GPU. Generating texture image patterns at load time eliminates one of the main benefits of procedural texturing, namely no aliasing or blurriness at any magnification or angle. And even if you generate texture images procedurally at load time, the generation could (and should) happen on the GPU.

39. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 17:26 _neolith_

in case you and others who think that procedural textures are handled by the GPU. go to this website. it was featured by blue a long time ago. its a tech demo that uses procedural textures.

www.theprodukkt.com

That's prerendered procedural textures. The ones that people were talking about are realtime procedural textures I think.

38. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 16:35 zirik

Actually, you may want to get a clue as to what you talk about before posting. The number of CPU cores has nothing to do with procedural texturing. Procedural texturing is done using fragment shaders on the GPU, and procedural texturing can run very smoothly on modern GPUs.

www.theprodukkt.com

and here is a quote from their tech section. GPU does not calculate procedural textures on the fly. its done when the map is loaded by the CPU.

You need that fast graphics cards to calculate the textures, right?
no. all the textures and models are calculated entirely doing the loading phase and by the CPU.

37. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 16:19 _neolith_

Did anyone else think "not again", when they went indoors and it was completely dark there for a while?
When I first saw it, those were exactly my thoughts.

Then I watched it again and turned my monitor a little brighter. When the cam enters the corridor the screen goes black for half a second or so. After that is adjusts - still really dark, but you can make out a lot of details even though there's not much light. There might be proper HDR in the engine.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 16:19.

36. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 16:04 Zarkov

Did anyone else think "not again", when they went indoors and it was completely dark there for a while?

Here's an idea. If they make these fantastic detailed levels, why not turn the lights on so people can see them.

35. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 15:14 zirik

Actually, you may want to get a clue as to what you talk about before posting. The number of CPU cores has nothing to do with procedural texturing. Procedural texturing is done using fragment shaders on the GPU, and procedural texturing can run very smoothly on modern GPUs.

did i not mention the level of detail shown on the demo? you think current GPUs can handle the amount of procedural textures if they had used it in the demo? nvidias demo for dx10 could only handle a handful of procedural textures. get a clue?

34. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 15:06 zirik

What? Are you the mouse in his pocket?

Who the hell knows...or really cares? Unless you are one of the rabid Apple lovers. And even then, you only care because it gives you a bit of anti-PC/Microsoft rhetoric. You certainly don't care because of the gaming aspect, or why would you be using a Mac to begin with?

nobody cares? right... even you replied. i am not an avid apple lover. have not bought one since the g4 series. and what i said was not rhetoric. its simple common sense observation about john carmack. which you could not even get out of your tiny brain.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 15:07.

33. No subject Jun 13, 2007, 14:56 DangerDog

DangerDog, next time try know what you're talking about.
Quake Wars will be the first game using megatextures which is exactly what the tech demo shows.

You’re delusional if you think QW is going to look this good, I wish it did.

Close, but no cigar.

32. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 13:56 _neolith_

Um, not so much 'could' as 'would' if you did it that way. And if you don't do it that way, then I'm afraid there is still a limit to bullet holes, because eventually you'll run out of memory. Unless you're writing all those texture modifications to the hard drive like a sort of texture diff file (but that doesn't seem much different to decals, really).
It is quite a difference actually, especially for the hardware. Decals work like additional objects - the more you shoot a wall, the more decals need to be created and kept in memory. If they don't get deleted, you've got a very efficient memory leak. Problems like these don't exist for the megatexture technology.

If I blow hell out of a level, then die and have to restart, I'd rather it started out looking the same as it did the first time.
Please. At least try to think outside the box.
Noone ever said that it has to be that way for every game. A F1 sim is a good example where this tech could be used - the racecars leave their skidmarks on the road, just like in reality. The more the track is used the easier it gets to see where you should ideally drive to cut corners with maximum speed.

Or imagine a multiplayer stealth shooter where you leave footprints in the snow for as long as the game goes or until it starts to snow - other players could try to track you down just through your footprints.
This comment was edited on Jun 13, 13:59.

31. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 12:05 vacs

Procedural texturing is done using fragment shaders on the GPU

Not necessarily, procedural textures don't need a GPU nor shaders. Unreal 1 for example had real-time procedural textures done completely with the help of CPU, years before Carmack even thought of using procedural textures.

30. Well... Jun 13, 2007, 09:30 Dreagon

...at least the corridors are bigger and textured like canyons.  
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

29. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 09:21 blah

DangerDog, next time try know what you're talking about.
Quake Wars will be the first game using megatextures which is exactly what the tech demo shows.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 09:23.

28. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 09:13 blah

Having megatextures allows the users to change the textures, for simplicity think skidmarks that stays. No more need for decals that shows bulletholes, you could add those directly instead etc etc. What this in turn means is that the computer won't have an extra load of decals and stuff to keep track of, as the basic texture itself is modified.
What it also means is that you can have unique texturing over the entire map, something never seen before.
Think having one texture and adding it ontop of an entire map.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 09:14.

27. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 08:38 Fartacus

john carmack never mentioned procedural texturing. procedural texturing at the level of detail they showed the demo would not run that smoothly even on an 8 core system.

You are right that he never mentioned procedural texturing, and I don't think procedural texturing is used in the megatexturing solution (since the artists paint the source texture, it would require fitting a procedural texture to the source art, which could be very hard). I'm guessing he's using some kind of proprietary compression with the decoding done in the fragment shader.

26. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 08:00 Jim

I don't see anything great about this engine at all. The artists can change the textures on the fly...so???

I thought they also claimed that about the Doom 3 engine. I want to see destructable environments?

The thing I want to see most is NON-LINEAR gameplay. The fact that the tech demo showed an expansive outdoor course was to me a bit promising, since it seems to abandon id's previous practice of making small, cramped, and way-too-linear game levels.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 08:05.

Jim

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo