Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA's Mac Attack

Electronic Arts announces they are dipping their virtual toe in the Macintosh gaming market, and are preparing to dive in headfirst in a return to think different gaming:

Redwood Shores, Calif., – June 11, 2007 – Electronic Arts Inc., (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced a commitment to bring its portfolio of hit games to Mac OS X. The first EA Mac titles slated to ship this summer include the wizarding adventure Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix™, racing sensation Need for Speed™ Carbon, military action thriller Battlefield 2142 and the real-time strategy hit Command &Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars™. Being the first Mac OS X games published by EA, these blockbuster titles are being ported to take advantage of the Mac’s performance to run with stunning visuals and signature gameplay at blistering speeds. Later this year, EA will ship Madden NFL 08 and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08 in sync with their worldwide launches.

Frank Gibeau, EA’s Executive Vice President of Publishing commented, “These four games are just the beginning. We’re excited to deliver key EA franchises such as Harry Potter, Madden Football and Need for Speed to Mac gamers.”

"We're thrilled that the world's number one games company is making this major commitment to the Mac," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Game fans are going to love playing these new EA titles on a Mac."

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Macs Jun 12, 2007, 20:30 venomhed

This sums it up for macs:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: This is a good thing Jun 12, 2007, 12:39 Fartacus

Anyone that thinks this is a bad thing should be slapped. The more games that are made for different OS' the better. The lack of Mac/Linux games is one of the reasons MS could push out a turd like Vista and expect everyone to go "Yum!"

Don't hold your breath waiting for developers to target linux. The interest in Mac is no indication of an interest in linux. Linux and the linux community remains too commercially unfriendly for game developers and publishers to target.

27. Ahhh the Unix Linux Debate Jun 12, 2007, 12:16 venomhed

Hence the reason Linux will never be ready for prime time. At over 400 different flavors, with no one being able to get along or pull ahead, Linux ends up like Congress.

A bunch of talk, and jack shit gets done.

Go back to the server room. Run my web server and FTP site. The big boys are going to be up front with the Marketing Team women.

26. Re: This is a good thing Jun 12, 2007, 12:03 4D-Boxing

Bottom line, BIGtrouble77 & Fausticle are right!

25. This is a good thing Jun 12, 2007, 10:41 Fausticle

Anyone that thinks this is a bad thing should be slapped. The more games that are made for different OS' the better. The lack of Mac/Linux games is one of the reasons MS could push out a turd like Vista and expect everyone to go "Yum!"

24. Re: GREAT IDEA! Jun 12, 2007, 10:33 Zathrus

Uh, no. Linux may be Unix-like but is not based on Unix.

BSD, which OS X is based on, was based on Unix, but I believe all that old crusty unix stuff was replaced during the AT&T Unix/BSD legals.

Ok, if we want to jump the thread here and get all pedantic... what do you mean by "Unix"? There is no single source code base that is definitively "Unix", at least not for many decades now.

Linux is not strictly based off any traditional Unix or BSD codebase (as in, actual lines of code), but it's certainly Unix-like/Unix-based in concepts and methodologies (although the Open Group would like you to not use the trademarked term "Unix" in conjunction with it, thank-you-very-much).

BSD is definitively Unix-derived; however the lawsuit v AT&T wound up with it being completely freed of any possible infringement (some lines of code were changed in the process, as you note, but relatively few; far more infringement was found in AT&T's codebase than in Berkeley's).

OSX is definitively BSD-derived as well; there's no question of that.

Oh, and Unix is hardly "old crusty" -- the major remaining Unix players are AIX (IBM), HP-UX (HP), and Solaris (Sun). They're all excellent systems, by and large, even if I want to go beat the crap out of each one of them for various foolishness (yes, I develop for all of them; plus more).

Oh, and finally -- anything made for OSX doesn't make it instantly portable to Linux, especially given the nightmare that is 3D support on Linux right now.

23. Re: GREAT IDEA! Jun 12, 2007, 08:30 axeme

you mean to say mac os x AND linux are based on unix.

Uh, no. Linux may be Unix-like but is not based on Unix.

BSD, which OS X is based on, was based on Unix, but I believe all that old crusty unix stuff was replaced during the AT&T Unix/BSD legals.

For a timeline, look here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Unix_history-simple.svg

22. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2007, 07:41 Tom

its not so much a burden as it is a compatibility issue. directx networking uses components that cannot be ported to unix. i.e. active x and dcom.

This is BS. Relatively few games have used DirectPlay, and most of the ones that have have had crappy netcode problems as a result. (Midtown Madness 2 anyone?) MS has even officially deprecated DirectPlay for some time now. The vast majority of games have used Winsock, which is just a simple sockets based API very similar to what's available on other platforms.

21. Re: EA and Mac Jun 12, 2007, 07:31 Calabi-Yau

Re: Aspyr- sounds a very likely scenario to me.

Can't wait till we see the cross-platform benchmark comparisons, should be a laugh.

20. EA and Mac Jun 12, 2007, 06:54 Fartacus

I'm guessing that we'll see an announcement that EA acquires Aspyr soon.

19. Now Mac users can be nickled and dimed Jun 12, 2007, 06:12 ldonyo

I'm surprised EA hasn't made this move sooner. Mac users are used to paying a premium for their systems. EA is making it possible for them to pay a premium for game content, too.

Head Chef & Bottle Washer for LAN Addict - http://www.lanaddict.

18. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2007, 05:51 Optimaximal

This is awesome. Whether you like macs or not, MS should not monopolize the PC gaming market.
MS don't monopolise the gaming market... Games developers and publishers just choose to develop for Windows because of a) the easier dev. environment and b) the larger market share.

17. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2007, 04:47 zirik

I find it hard to believe that cross platform networking is a serious burden to any competent company.

its not so much a burden as it is a compatibility issue. directx networking uses components that cannot be ported to unix. i.e. active x and dcom.

16. If Mac's had similar developer support - Jun 12, 2007, 02:44 Toebot

I'd buy one. No, I'm not joking, I would shell out the bucks for a Mac if I could play most games, natively, on the platform. But I still wouldn't buy any EA title. Fuck EA.

15. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2007, 02:43 Propagandhi

having a linux version would increase the multiplayer community for mac users as windows games rely heavily on directx for networking. the company that ported directx networking code to the mac has been silent, it seems they ran into a wall of problems. so yeah, would be nice to have linux and mac versions.

I find it hard to believe that cross platform networking is a serious burden to any competent company.

I eat pasta!

14. Re: GREAT IDEA! Jun 12, 2007, 01:54 trog

I sort of find it hard to believe EA will keep Mac versions of BF2142 (and other games where the exact patch level is really important for online play) as up to date as their PC counterparts.

I'd love to be proven wrong, because it would be EA sending a clear message that quality is important in their cross platform offerings.

Otherwise this is great news for Mac, and gamers all over the place who are tempting to ditch the PC.

13. Re: GREAT IDEA! Jun 12, 2007, 01:19 zirik

Since the MAC OS is based on Linux

you mean to say mac os x AND linux are based on unix.

12. GREAT IDEA! Jun 12, 2007, 00:01 venomhed

Since the MAC OS is based on Linux, that means EA/M$ will make a Direct X type API for this platform.

Rip it off and free games for the Linux crowd?

11. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2007, 23:57 zirik

not that im very interested with EA sports titles, but if anything delays Crysis, watch out!

crytek made madden nfl 08 and tiger woods 08? wow!

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 23:58.

10. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2007, 23:51 Herb Tarleck

well the first bunch of games are back catalouge, but...
"Later this year, EA will ship Madden NFL 08 and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08 in sync with their worldwide launches. "

not that im very interested with EA sports titles, but if anything delays Crysis, watch out!

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 23:52.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo