Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New BF2 Beta Map

This EA Forum Post offers word on the release of Highway Tampa, a new map for Battlefield 2, along with some screenshots. The map is available for download from EA (direct link), and while it is a beta, it does support ranked play (thanks Apo). Reading the accompanying blurb, it sounds like this map is also going to be ported to one of the other Battlefield games:

Through a collaborative effort Intel and EA DICE are rolling out a new Battlefield map for players to battle on. Highway Tampa is a vehicle focused map that offers a game experience similar to classic 1942 desert warfare. Explore this stretch of the Arabian Peninsula in your choice of vehicle and work with your team mates to conquer the map for your team. Download the beta, join in the servers, and drive, fly, and destroy your way to victory. Then drop by the EA forums and let us know what you think. Also keep your eyes to the future as this stretch of desert will see combat across two generations of Battlefield.

DICE Live Team
---------------------

Check out my Beta post for information: http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=231518

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: No subject Jun 6, 2007, 22:13 zirik

A new map - for an unsupported game where cheating is rampant.

yeah true. its hard to play on any server, even bf2142, where nobody is cheating. my favorite one to spot are those that use the spawn anywhere cheat on bf2142. they can land a pod anywhere on the map without using a beacon. its obvious too because you see the pod take right angle turns while decending.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: 2142 Jun 6, 2007, 17:59 JAGUART

Its True,

If you like the Battlefield series, BF2142 took a lot of concepts from BF2 and tweaked and improved them, esp the infantry combat. Its great fun.

I wonder if this new desert map was purposely introduced so the Forgotten Hope team could utilize it.

Public opinion version .12b Alpha build 2

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 18:06.

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

16. No subject Jun 6, 2007, 11:45 xXBatmanXx

A new map - for an unsupported game where cheating is rampant.

WTF!?

Gun Control isn't about guns. It's about control.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

15. Re: And Jun 6, 2007, 08:46 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

I reinstalled BF2 last night to check it out, it's totally different from Zatar Wetlands (one of my favorite maps). It's a big map, too. I look forward to the 2142 version.

As for 2142, I think it's the best in the series. If you like the Battlefield games and you are thinking of picking it up, you won't be disappointed.

14. And Jun 6, 2007, 05:42 Calabi-Yau

Anyway, about this map, why are they being coy if it's intended for BF2142 as well as BF2 - I'd rather beta test a new map with the newer game.

From the EA forum "It's just a reskinned zatar wetlands. I'ts not new."

(Rats, I hated Zatar Wetlands, all low viz and water traps. If that's true I will be v disappointed.)

Edit: No water traps at least - and here are some screens of the Intel Core2 ads and crates from the map.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/6b52a5c2c0c09ed44acb24df673f1876219a9217.jpg
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/7defb89a229310f2508a4e6b1591a6daa41b5ba2.jpg

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 05:54.

13. Re: Demo Co-op Mission Jun 6, 2007, 05:35 The Half Elf

As I have said in previous BF threads, 2142's infantry game is top notch, the vehicle game is the same as bf2, and the aircraft game overall blows.

If ya want just get 2142, and join 16 player servers, infantry only and you will enjoy it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: Demo Co-op Mission Jun 6, 2007, 05:30 Calabi-Yau

What's to block? You're likely to spot the ads on the billboards about 1 in 100 games. I don't recall ever noticing that they've changed. Since (in 2142) you're usually in urban areas it's barely noticable.

I would have been okay with animated/voiced ads myself, it's the future after all: "A New World awaits you in the Offworld Colonies! A chance to begin again, in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!"

To those BF2 fans who haven't tried 2142, are you perhaps "cutting off your nose to spite your face?" IMO you're missing out. It's not perfect but it's the best MP FPS out right now, bar none.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 05:37.

11. Re: Demo Co-op Mission Jun 6, 2007, 02:49 Desertfox

>Can you post those ip-addresses to block here?

...on second thoughts... I played the map for some time and I changed my mind: free gaming-content like this with some in-game advertisements like this is okay for me. The map is pretty good and I think the billboards are funny.

There is one other thing that crossed my mind: lately there seems to be a new hackcheat in BF2 that is undiscovered by punkbuster. People seem to find me even while I'm playing spec-ops (no UAV in sight) and come for me in a straight line. Players dolphin-dive and shoot one-shot one-kill and TV-guided missles hit from behind the horizon without the warning signal sounding in my armour... And the commander is able to drop a whole line of supplycrates. I've been playing BF2 since day 1 and when you have spent so many hours in this game, you notice the difference between better players and strange things happening
Maybe EA/DICE could address this too?
This comment was edited on Jun 6, 14:12.

10. Re: Demo Co-op Mission Jun 6, 2007, 02:48 wMute

lol @ people who act like they've never seen ads in their lives

9. Re: Demo Co-op Mission Jun 6, 2007, 00:42 LittleMe

DedEye yes there is absolutely a subliminal factor and advertisers know it. Search youtube for "Derren Brown NLP" where he uses subliminal messages to control a man's mind much like advertisers do.

2142 is great fun. I block the ads with my router. There are two IP addresses to block, and that stops the ads.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

8. Re: Demo Co-op Mission Jun 6, 2007, 00:28 DedEye

To me it just looks like EA is trying to port their ingame add system from BF2142 to BF2.

I picked up 2142 a few weeks ago. Fun game.

I look for ads whenever I have a moment, and quite honestly I have yet to see or notice one. Perhaps they're subliminal

7. No subject Jun 6, 2007, 00:04 TomeOne

The "b" in BF2 stands for Beta.

6. Re: Demo Co-op Mission Jun 5, 2007, 23:40 LittleMe

Thanks Apo. I was wondering why Intel was involved. LOL makes sense now.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

5. Demo Co-op Mission Jun 5, 2007, 23:09 Apo

To me it just looks like EA is trying to port their ingame add system from BF2142 to BF2.
The add billboards are scattered all over this desert map and look pretty misplaced. Who would advertise in the middle of nowhere? Also the viewdistance is extremly low on this map.
Maybe EA did not get enough customers with BF2142 for their ingame add contracs and now going to use BF2 also...who knows...

Edit:
SP and Coop are not supported.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 23:11.

4. Re: It's all about PR Jun 5, 2007, 23:08 LittleMe

Downloaded map.

Hey FloridaHoudini, 2142 is a good game! I love it. Just note that the smaller maps (Gibraltar and Cerbere) are best for 32 players but some servers have 48 or 64 players and that gets too chaotic, imo. 2142 is great.

3. Re: It's all about PR Jun 5, 2007, 22:40 ColoradoHoudini

I'm stuck playing BF2 (infantry only server, same map) until Quake Wars comes out...
sucks, no other FPS's to play.. ugh.

I was even tempted to pick up 2142. okay who threw that???

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 22:40.

2. It's all about PR Jun 5, 2007, 22:35 Techie714

Project Reality Mod!!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. New map Jun 5, 2007, 22:22 LIQUID-SEX

How bout some actual patches that make the game semi playable. :)The last patch screwed my BF2 multi all to hell. Maps are nice but if the game plays like ass, what's the point?

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo