Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Q&As

• Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword
    The Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword Q&A on Play.tm talks with Alex Mantzaris about the strategy expansion in the works at Firaxis: "The final date is still 2050 AD, although we did add considerable content to the modern era. For example, there are new buildings to support your espionage strategy, like the Security Bureau that makes it harder for foreign spies to perform missions in your cities, or the Intelligence Agency that enhances your espionage spending. Other buildings include Public Transportation, Industrial Parks, and Levees. There are new modern technologies like Laser, Superconductor, and Stealth. New modern units include the Mobile SAM, Mobile Artillery, Tactical Nuke, Attack Submarine, Missile Cruiser, and Stealth Destroyer. Finally, the Cristo Redentor Wonder allows you to switch civics without Anarchy."
  • Dreamlords
    The Lockpick Entertainment Q&A on The MMO Gamer talks with David Rosén about Dreamlords, Lockpick's MMORTS game: "Well, the Saga of Ina was just a demo but it’s true that we like to venture into several areas. The industry still has a lot of areas to evolve in and we’d like to contribute in several areas. Dreamlords is our first and so far only MMO. We’re proud of what we have achieved so far with it but we have a long way left until our vision of the game is fullfilled [sic]."
  • Near Death Studios
    The Brian Green Q&A on TenTonHammer has a near death experience with Brian 'Psychochild' Green of Near Death Studios about the dawn of the MMO industry with Meridian 59, and more: "The reasons for 3DO shutting down Meridian 59 were pretty simple: they took all the people off the project and most of us eventually left the company because we were not able to work on online games. When we all left they did not have anyone who had any technical knowledge of the programming system, so they decided to shut the game down rather than face the possibility of the game failing and them having no idea how to fix it."

View
8. Re: No subject Jun 6, 2007, 04:32 Psychochild

Heya, Brian 'Psychochild' Green here.

As far as sounding "professional", you do realize I make games for a living? Using a pseudonym isn't quite so professional if I were an insurance salesperson, but since I'm a game developer my colleagues usually don't look at me too funny.

The main reason why I use a pseudonym is because my given name, "Brian Green", is depressingly common. Doing a Google search for my name currently shows three other "Brian Green" or "Brian Greene" people before any reference for me. Doing the same search for "Psychochild" shows a page of results related to my work.

Even if you just look at the game industry, there are several other "Brian Green"s. There's a whole page at MobyGames (http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,32027/) credited to "Brian Green" that I have not worked on. My page work work (http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,257266/) has many fewer titles. Even the Wikipedia page on "Brian Green (game developer)" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Green_(game_developer)) shows another person (who goes by "The Colonel") that shares my name.

The reality of the situation is that in the game industry, you have to have to be memorable. A name like "Psychochild" is definitely more memorable than "Brian Green". Note that even my company name, Near Death Studios, Inc. has gotten a few stares. The lawyer that helped us set up the company thought that name was a bit odd. But, the name is memorable and it has gotten me a reputation for my quality work.

So, that's why I use the pseudonym. Ironically enough, I actually do spend a lot of time worrying about issues that relate to the game industry being under attack. I've posted extensively on my blog about legitimacy issues (http://www.psychochild.org/?p=257 for example).

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jun 4, 11:23 No subject the_culture
  2. Jun 4, 13:00  Re: No subject The Raven
  3. Jun 4, 13:18   Re: No subject dubfanatic
  4. Jun 4, 14:33    Re: No subject The Raven
  6. Jun 4, 16:48     Re: No subject the_culture
  7. Jun 4, 20:28      Re: No subject Masa
>> 8. Jun 6, 04:32      Re: No subject Psychochild
  5. Jun 4, 15:53    Re: No subject The Half Elf

footer

Blue's News logo