Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn Beta

The Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn Beta on FilePlanet offers a chance to check out the upcoming remake of the seminal MMORPG. A FilePlanet registration is required, but in this case those with free registrations are welcome as well as paying customers.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: True PVP Jun 4, 2007, 06:23 Muscular Beaver

The Fastest way to get rich was to kill some noob and take their 100 starting gold.

Not really. I remember making a lot of chars and giving their starting gold to my main. It really didnt add up. Then I started sewing and made much more money in a couple of mins.
You could make some decent money if you killed a plate equipped player or get some nice items from him to use for yourself. But it really wasnt bad to die by a PK. You lost a lot, but generally you had like 12 sets of armor and weapons in your house and bank anyway. I remember I was NEVER EVER frustrated to be killed by a player, but while in WoW, it can get really bad since those loser will start corpse camping you for no reason. Lots of WoW players are a real low breed.
I loved also how you could have your own vendor.
UO is still far ahead of other MMOs out there. You could do so many things... I really cant believe there STILL arent MMOs that reach this level.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. True PVP Jun 3, 2007, 12:15 qp

UO was lawless but it was not senseless. The main reason to kill someone was to take everything they had on them. The Fastest way to get rich was to kill some noob and take their 100 starting gold. The main reason to kill someone in WoW (outside of BG's and Arena) is only to disrupt their play. What’s more noble to kill to survive in a dog eat dog world, Or to kill because that the only possible way to ever interact with another player. Besides it was relatively easy to avoid pk’s (stay off the roads)

31. No subject Jun 3, 2007, 10:03 Tbh

So why arn't you guys just playing eve online then?

Quit your yapping, there's the prefect game for ya, it was created by a self confessed group of UO greifers for their own amusement, go sign up.

30. English? Jun 3, 2007, 08:33 Cheese

Stop your bitching and go die somewhere on Warhammer Onlines failed servers when that vaporware comes out, but quit pissing off the majority of the people that play MMORPG's for content, adventure value and the ability to play without being ganked by high level dipshits with nothing better to do on Saturday afternoon but grief people.
Learn how to write out the English language first, then type.

Other than that, I think most of the complaints people have are from people who think current MMO's are too "manufactured" and are more clones of one another than original ideas.

I mean, let's face it, UO probably retains much face in people's eyes due to it being their first MMO, but it has a class of its own that even WoW can't muster.

LOL he spoke just fine there sonny boy and made a good point as well wtf are you on about? UO sux its a ant farm damn stick figures got ya all soaked huh. I remember when my ant farm broke i was a happy boy damint to hell americans trying to make ants out as pets. least it was better than my pet rock. but serious UO sucks balls so does every MMORPG they all suck cept for Lost Soul which is free

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 08:36.

29. Skara Brae Rangers Jun 3, 2007, 08:18 Lev Arris

Oh the glory days of the SBR!! it was great fun. BOX!! BOX!

Die, oh well, still got newbie axe, go kill bird, go cut wood, make bow, make arrows, back into the fight.

Great fun!

28. Re: UO Jun 3, 2007, 02:51 Muscular Beaver

I never laughed so hard for your memory seems to be lacking. The griefing was so bad in UO that they had to put in a whole new rule set that kept getting stricter over time on the pvp crowd. Let's not also forget the thiefs who could steal right out of your packs. The gankers could loot your corpse and take everything you owned. They could break in to your house and steal everything right out of it

That was right after release and got fixed in a matter of weeks or months. For example breaking into houses were bugs that these people exploited. After that one got fixed in just a few days (look at WoW, it takes weeks or months for them to fix something bad, if at all!) they found another bug. UO wasnt programmed very clean.
When I quit it, it was very playable and even the thieves and PKs were making that game very interesting. I loved how you could chase down the thief that just stole something from you and own him to high heaven, without the guards interfering. And PKs were fun too. Of course you lost everything on your corpse if you died, but people forget how interesting this made the game. You really had to watch out ALOT. And you didnt die so fast either. Now in WoW for example, what happens if you die? OMG OMG you have to run back und pay maybe 1g for repair costs (if killed by a mob)... ROFL... really challenging...
Of course, carebears that only like PvE wouldnt fit in there, but them bashing UO NOW is really comical.

- Mojo Jojo

27. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2007, 01:04 Toebot

"Nothing quite as innovative or engaging as one of the hundreds of MMOs out there... "

Unless it's the next POS console port.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 01:04.

26. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2007, 21:01 Jerykk

Sad really as MMO's are where games are getting more interesting.

...right. Nothing quite as innovative or engaging as one of the hundreds of MMOs out there...

25. Re: Ultima Online... Jun 2, 2007, 17:57 Masa

Stop your bitching and go die somewhere on Warhammer Onlines failed servers when that vaporware comes out, but quit pissing off the majority of the people that play MMORPG's for content, adventure value and the ability to play without being ganked by high level dipshits with nothing better to do on Saturday afternoon but grief people.

Learn how to write out the English language first, then type.

Other than that, I think most of the complaints people have are from people who think current MMO's are too "manufactured" and are more clones of one another than original ideas.

I mean, let's face it, UO probably retains much face in people's eyes due to it being their first MMO, but it has a class of its own that even WoW can't muster.

24. Re: UO Jun 2, 2007, 15:00 FourPak

corp por from 2 screens away. wheee.

In fact the housing reflects the type of players - Ghetto

23. Re: Ultima Online... Jun 2, 2007, 14:45 Grounded

Ugh every UO announcement brings out the "oh wah I was leet PVP'er and now they took that away" fucking PWNZOR 15 year old crowd and its getting old

The days of ganking and being a fucktard in online games are over, if you want that shit go get Shadowbane out of the bargain bin or any other game where PVP is the focus and has failed because PVP bullshit in a Online RPG is fucking retarded, just look at WoW's constant unbalancing and dipshit crybaby Counter Strike mentality players

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 14:46.

22. Ultima Online... Jun 2, 2007, 14:20 JohnBirshire

I've played every MMORPG out there for the last 15 years, long before it ever became gaming mainstream. We're talking MUDs on Compuserve back when they cost $6 an hour. I still continue to play MMORPGs, and eagerly await the next round; such as Tabula Rasa and Warhammer Online.

That being said, not a single one of these games I played 1/3rd as long as I played Ultima Online. Off and on for almost 10 years, I swear I have quit playing that game for good roughly 20 times...just to start playing again a few months later.

It is nice to see the game is getting some attention, but I think the true spirit of Ultima Online is long gone from official servers. If EA wanted to do something interesting, they would open up new servers with "old school" rulesets. Like open servers called UO 97, UO 98, UO Summer 99, etc, where you could play Ultima Online in your favorite era. The old school feel of Ultima Online still lingers in professionally run free shards such as UOGamers:Hybrid, among others though.

21. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2007, 13:00 BigFreak

You guys are care bears. Whats the point in playing a game where there is nothing to lose? I wanna play a game which has danger in it unlike WOW where u feel like a spoon fed zombie and nothing interesting ever happens.
As for all this griefing stuff, that is good! players would form parties to hunt the evil pkers and this would add to the politics. Also check out how much depth and complexity there is in Ultima Online compared to modern MMORPG's its like they never evolved. UO is 10 years old and miles more advanced than all these other quest, combat games. Sad really as MMO's are where games are getting more interesting.
QFT. Yeah, UO has so much to give. It's a shame it's been ruined by the last bunch of expansions (elves, insurance, item propertie, etc). Undiluted UO has more depth, grab, player interaction, freedom and other stuff as well than any MMO since. Fact.

20. Re: UO Jun 2, 2007, 12:53 Gymper

Hell it's the only MMO EA hasn't canned yet.
No kidding. They canned the sequel. This might bring back some memories,
http://www.kxmode.com/tmp/uo2montage.jpg

Anyone have a link to the movies that were released for this? It rocked.

Found it for anyone who would like to take a look. This looked far ahead of it's time back when it was announced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EGWBSjHVGI

19. No subject Jun 2, 2007, 12:44 Bilbo

You guys are care bears. Whats the point in playing a game where there is nothing to lose? I wanna play a game which has danger in it unlike WOW where u feel like a spoon fed zombie and nothing interesting ever happens.
As for all this griefing stuff, that is good! players would form parties to hunt the evil pkers and this would add to the politics. Also check out how much depth and complexity there is in Ultima Online compared to modern MMORPG's its like they never evolved. UO is 10 years old and miles more advanced than all these other quest, combat games. Sad really as MMO's are where games are getting more interesting.

18. Re: UO Jun 2, 2007, 12:30 Zoso

Griefers paradise? How so?
If you met some PKs, you could simply run away. They killed you maybe one time, but thats it.

I never laughed so hard for your memory seems to be lacking. The griefing was so bad in UO that they had to put in a whole new rule set that kept getting stricter over time on the pvp crowd. Let's not also forget the thiefs who could steal right out of your packs. The gankers could loot your corpse and take everything you owned. They could break in to your house and steal everything right out of it.

Oh what great memories. NOT

The game did improve alot after the pvp changes and I had a good time then. The community is what made this game.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 12:40.

17. Re: UO Jun 2, 2007, 11:51 IMSabbel

Well, maybe they toned it down, but in teh beginning, it was total anarchy.

Whats going on in WoW is not "grieving", its a mild annoyance.
Grieving would be like in early UO, where you would be stripped naked after a PK, because you are perfectly lootable by the killer.

16. Re: UO Jun 2, 2007, 10:24 Muscular Beaver

Griefers paradise? How so?
If you met some PKs, you could simply run away. They killed you maybe one time, but thats it. In WoW you can get griefed much better, since people corpsecamp you for no reason with their 70. Those suckers even wait for you to waste your soulshard/food/water and then kill you. Ive had my free evening (or day) ruined by those POS serveral times.

And I am sorry, but thats just bullshit. Ive played a lot of MMORPGs and there were nowhere near as many idiots in UO or EQ as in WoW. WoW is the true king of the hill in that aspect. The chat channels alone prove that.
There were also FPS games that didnt have as many assholes as others. For example OFPs community was very mature. Same with Tribes 1 (Tribes 2 went down the drain already).
And those are only examples.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 10:37.

- Mojo Jojo

15. Re: UO Jun 2, 2007, 10:02 Asmodai

not these shitheads that infest WoW

Oh come on, UO was griefer paradise...

And every multiplayer game of note has had it's fair share of wankers in one form of another (mmo's, fps, etc etc).

Asshattery knows no boundaries.

14. Re: UO Jun 2, 2007, 09:27 Gymper

Hell it's the only MMO EA hasn't canned yet.
No kidding. They canned the sequel. This might bring back some memories,
http://www.kxmode.com/tmp/uo2montage.jpg

Anyone have a link to the movies that were released for this? They rocked.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo