Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tomb Raider Anniversary Demo

The Tomb Raider: Anniversary Demo offers the chance to sample the upcoming celebration of a decade of games starring gravity-defying archeologist Lara Croft. The 257 MB download that includes a portion of the game's Peruvian Lost Valley level is available on the Tomb Raider Anniversary Website with mirrors available on 3D Downloads, ComputerGames.ro, FanGaming, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot (registration required), and Internode Games Network.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. No subject May 29, 2007, 23:23 dryden555

Looking at Gamespot's release dates, the PS1, saturn, and PC version all came out within a month of each other. I recall the PC version getting the most attention from both gamers and the media because its graphics were better than the console versions, especially with the PC's 3dfx patch. Ya know in those days, PC gaming boxes took up easily half of an EB store, and consoles were mostly for teens and little kids. So if you were a teen or a kid, you might have played it on a console in 1996. Nothing wrong with that

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: No subject May 29, 2007, 14:40 Ecthelion

Read the other posts, you stupid fuck . It did start off as a -primarily- console game all the way. I remember playing it at a friend's place on his Sega Saturn before the PC version was even in stores (as far as I can remember). The graphics of the console versions were FAR superior to the PC version at first (it was made for consoles first and foremost after all) because they (Core) had no day one 3dfx support for the PC version. The 3dfx Voodoo support was patched in at a later date. The PC version was obviously an afterthought just like with many games today. Tomb Raider was primarily targeted at consoles all the way. Just look at the damn game. Even the blindest mole could see its console roots.
It came out on the PlayStation and PC simultaneously, and the Saturn a few weeks later.

As far as the 3dfx patch goes, the first 3dfx card came out the same month as Tomb Raider. You could hardly expect that it would be supported out of the box (especially since it was quite a few months before the card had much of a user base).

I still don't buy the "console roots" argument. There was a time when the PC had platformers, fighting games, and 3rd-person arcade games just like any console. It's only more recently that those genres have been console-based. Tomb Raider is as much of a PC game as a console game. More recently, of course, Tomb Raider games have focused on the console versions. But it wasn't always that way.

37. Re: No subject May 29, 2007, 04:04 Jerykk

i know on the chronicles site they asked if theyd make a TR2 remake, but alot of ppl didnt like the idea, i love to see TR2 with new graphics deserves it to.

Remaking a sequel is generally frowned upon. Remakes alone are unoriginal but when you make a remake of a sequel, it's a double whammy of unoriginality. Personally, I'd much rather just see a brand new game that's better than any of the previous ones.

36. Re: No subject May 28, 2007, 09:23 vacs

more games should have remakes, there always gonna sell especially if they make a good job of it, then atleast we could play them on XP instead of it crashin to the desktop

Tomb Raider 1 works perfectly with DOSBox 0.70 under WinXP. Just finished playing through the first three levels of the original game.

35. Re: No subject May 28, 2007, 05:18 kryten

although you can still use arrow keys, i still miss the old controls without mouse, tho the mouse was always gonna happen.

i know on the chronicles site they asked if theyd make a TR2 remake, but alot of ppl didnt like the idea, i love to see TR2 with new graphics deserves it to.

more games should have remakes, there always gonna sell especially if they make a good job of it, then atleast we could play them on XP instead of it crashin to the desktop

This comment was edited on May 28, 05:24.

34. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 21:16 Scottish Martial Arts

I thought this demo was pretty cool, but after my first playthrough here, it felt like there were a few things (puzzles) present that weren't quite "finished" even when the demo ended.

If the level matches up with the level in the original TR, then the demo ends before the end of the level. If I remember correctly, the third gear is located just past the T-Rex and with that you backtrack back to the beginning and the completed machine opens up the path to the level exit.

33. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 20:48 A51Abductee

Short but fun. If you enjoyed previous TR games this is just more of the same.

A note for any other lefty gamers out there: the game doesn't seem to want to cooperate if you attempt to assign the arrow keys for movement. Just assign the numeric keypad keys (8-4-5-6) and it will translate over to the actual arrow keys.

32. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 19:09 ReverendTed

I thought this demo was pretty cool, but after my first playthrough here, it felt like there were a few things (puzzles) present that weren't quite "finished" even when the demo ended. Perhaps that's intentional. I also never did find out what that "artifact" I found was for.

31. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 18:17 CJ_Parker

Um CJ again your a moron. Tomb Raider did NOT start off as a Console game.

Read the other posts, you stupid fuck . It did start off as a -primarily- console game all the way. I remember playing it at a friend's place on his Sega Saturn before the PC version was even in stores (as far as I can remember). The graphics of the console versions were FAR superior to the PC version at first (it was made for consoles first and foremost after all) because they (Core) had no day one 3dfx support for the PC version. The 3dfx Voodoo support was patched in at a later date. The PC version was obviously an afterthought just like with many games today. Tomb Raider was primarily targeted at consoles all the way. Just look at the damn game. Even the blindest mole could see its console roots.

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

30. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 15:25 Enahs

It started off as a PC game, and then was co developed at the same time for multiple platforms.

I always considered it a PC game first, since I first (and only) played it on the PC, but shrug. Whatever.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

29. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 14:50 manic half

well im with those who say it is/was a PC game.

28. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 14:02 PHJF

Considering it initially came out on PSX, Saturn, and DOS, it is, by default, more of a console than PC game. Considering it is a third person action adventure, it is, by default, more of a console game. Considering its fame, popularity and the majority of its profits came from the PSX version, it is, by default, more of a console game. Considering the name "Tomb Raider" is almost synonymous with PSX, it most certainly is a console game.

------
"If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome!"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

27. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 13:05 Scottish Martial Arts

Um CJ again your a moron. Tomb Raider did NOT start off as a Console game.

Uh, yeah it actually did. Tomb Raider 1 was technically a multiplatform title but the Playstation version was the lead SKU and the game was designed around that. Ever notice how the interface to Tomb Raider feels like it was designed for a console? That's because it was. I'm not intimately familiar with the development history of Tomb Raider but my impression was it started off as a console game and was ported to PC for a multiplatform release.

In fact it was bundled with most first generation 3D cards.

So was Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. Hardly proves anything does it?

This comment was edited on May 27, 13:09.

26. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 12:39 The Half Elf

Um CJ again your a moron. Tomb Raider did NOT start off as a Console game. In fact it was bundled with most first generation 3D cards.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

25. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 12:37 vacs

t has the same problem I had with legend, the sound just is choppy and breaks up. Annoying.

Start --> run --> dxdiag [enter] --> sound tab --> set "hardware sound acceleration level" to "basic acceleration"

24. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 12:01 CJ_Parker

a lighter less bouncy demo. i did not find any info on minimum system requirements. is it the same as TRL?

This one is performing much better on my rig (E6300 and a GeForce 7800GS) than Tomb Raider Legend did in "next gen" mode. It looks slightly less impressive though. Not bad graphics at all but a little worse than TRL it would seem.

You can also clearly tell the console heritage (checkpoint saves, interface, controls, aiming etc) which is something I do not like but I guess you can't really complain about it in this case since the whole TR series started off as a console game.

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

23. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 11:39 Enahs

It has the same problem I had with legend, the sound just is choppy and breaks up. Annoying.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

22. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 11:30 Overon

This thing is dated. The gameplay is dated and if you are looking for more of the same then go for it. I'm not so I say blah.

21. Re: No subject May 27, 2007, 11:23 DorkOff

Graphically, how does this compare to TR: Legend, with max settings?

20. No subject May 27, 2007, 07:16 zirik

a lighter less bouncy demo. i did not find any info on minimum system requirements. is it the same as TRL?

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo