Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Q&As

• Team Fortress 2
    Valve's Robin Walker talks TF2 on Eurogamer is a Q&A on the coming remake of Team Fortress: "In the multiplayer space, you're obviously going to retrace your steps a lot, that's what multiplayer's about. Content you're consuming is generated for you by other players; that's what multiplayer is. And so we were thinking about how many maps we should build and so on, and one of the things that anyone who's played online PC games for some time has noticed is that if we build 100 maps it won't matter; the community's going to choose five or six they want to play and play them to death."
  • Hellgate: London
    Flagship boss Bill Roper explains Hellgate: London on Play.tm is a Q&A discussing the upcoming action/RPG: "We want all of the fans of Diablo to feel right at home within Hellgate: London, but also be experiencing some great new twists, turns and innovations. We're doing a much better job of immersing the player in the world, telling stories and making the character a central figure in the tale. There are more game play mechanics that we can explore because of the ability to play the game from both the first and third person perspectives. And, of course, being in 3D with true physics lets us do some very fun things that we weren't able to achieve in Diablo II."

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: No subject May 23, 2007, 15:30 Krovven

It has already been said several times by Valve that there will be 6 maps in the initial release. Read some previews.

UT2004 had how many maps? 100+ or some stupid shit? Most of which were crap, more of which were just imported from previous versions.

And to the person that questioned the time it takes to make a map...try making one yourself and see how long it takes from beginning to end, try 3 to 6 months, per map of creation and testing. And I'm not talking an orange box map...

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Titan Quest-Immortal Throne & Day of Defeat Source.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: I love it May 23, 2007, 14:04 sponge

I for one would rather have a few good, polished maps, rather than a whole bunch of shitty gimmicky ones.

Enemy Territory shipped with 6 maps, and it was absolutely no problem at all.

9. Re: I love it May 23, 2007, 10:20 Scottish Martial Arts

Btw, Scottish, yes, the original shipped with 6 maps. That was also a mod made by a few guys for free.

I was referring to TFC, the Half-Life mod, not the Quake mod. TFC was developed by Valve, not a mod team.

8. I love it May 22, 2007, 21:17 Creston

The way Valve puts forward the idea that by making 5 or 6 maps, they're doing the gameplaying community a favor. Because, after all, if there were a hundred maps, you'd have so much work in choosing your favorite 5 or 6. If they only make 6, you no longer have all that hard labor in choosing your favorite maps! Valve chose for you!

All rise and say "Thank you Valve!"

Btw, Scottish, yes, the original shipped with 6 maps. That was also a mod made by a few guys for free. TF2 is being shipped in an increasingly customer unfriendly package of content at nearly normal game price. But I'm sure it's still a GREAT thing for the gamers to only have 5 or 6 maps.

Btw, Valve, if the community only plays 5 to 6% of all the maps you make, that means they'll not play much of your 5 to 6 maps, now will they?

Btw, please, charge 70 bucks for your package, just to make it even more attractive.

Creston

This comment was edited on May 22, 21:19.

7. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 17:33 Scottish Martial Arts

Incase anyone hasn't noticed, this means valve is basically going to only make 5-6 maps for TF2.

Which happens to be the same number TFC was released with.

6. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 16:42 Beamer

I'm a firm believer in many maps.

I like things changing up. Having to adapt.

There were many reasons why I quit playing CS back in 2003, but the straw that broke the camel's back was de_dust. I absolutely hated playing that level ad naseum. It was hard to find servers that didn't go to it every other map.

Oddly, when I got into CS:S many years later the level no longer bugged me. Even odder, the server I played the most on was one that had three versions of assault on rotation and nothing else. Perhaps oddest of all, when the official assault was finally released I stopped playing because the official one blows.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 16:26 MMORPGHoD

They probably did make 15. They'll give you 5 with the game and will slowly release each of the 10 extra maps for $5 a piece over steam.

4. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 15:49 nin

I could have sworn PCGamer said 4, actually...

-----------------------------------------------------
Listen, now: http://yearzero.nin-thespiral.com/FLJoi4gjw2f/player.html

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 15:38 Tony!!!

5-6 maps. I sure hope not.
It does't take that much man power to put out 15 maps. Come on!

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

2. No subject May 22, 2007, 15:04 Igor

Incase anyone hasn't noticed, this means valve is basically going to only make 5-6 maps for TF2.

1. Hellgate May 22, 2007, 14:44 MMORPGHoD

Hellgate: London is being compared to Diablo? Noooo. Bill Roper better set the record straight and tell everyone it's nothing like it, so that they can continue to wait for Diablo 3 to be developed.

Who was it that told me Hellgate wasn't like Diablo and was more of a FPS? LOL.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo