Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Need for Speed Announcement Nears

There's a countdown on the Need for Speed Carbon Website ticking off the ten days between now and May 31, when an announcement should presumably be expected to go along with the tease line "A Revolution of Speed is Coming" (thanks Hookedgamers). To help get folks' engines running for the announcement, there is a teaser trailer showing off the battle scars on a car and a snippet of action.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. No subject May 22, 2007, 12:00 dryden555

If they brought back more open race courses that are interestingly designed for actual racing, that's great. But drag racing was 100% bogus and racing thru boring night courses over and over again? No thanks. The recent Burnout Dominator for PS2 has some nicely designed single-player race courses so someone out there knows how to construct race courses at least.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 10:29 Beamer

Going to be honest, it's a nice video. Damage modeling makes me giddy (how are we in 2007 without this being common and regular?), and the quick crash at the end looks like it's from an entertaining race.

I loved 1. I was a bit bored with 2. I loved 3 and played the crap out of it splitscreen. Loved 4. Got lost after that.

The first Underground was fun. I'll be honest, modifying the car was fun for me. Not because I wanted to make my car look "cool," but because I enjoyed making my car as ugly as possible.
It grew old by 2. And the racing in 2 was annoying. Hitting an invisible wall drives me insane. Plus everything felt like a brick. Drifting was fun, as was drag racing, but they're minigames at best, and the actual racing just felt off.

Things I want to see:
1) More open racing. I'd love a game like TD3 or Vette, allowing me to pick my route. Make a game out of this. Traffic and construction making you change on the fly. This is a real reach, but would be cool.
2) Daytime races on dry streets, and wet streets actually making a difference.
3) Performance modification on par with the visual, rather than just stage 1 stage 2 stage 3. RPGs let me make decisions on how to balance myself. Let me do the same with a car. Do I want a part to kick up acceleration or one to give me more handling or one to give higher top speed in 3rd gear or a bit of all?

NFS needs to find a groove. Burnout has arcade racing down. Console only, but it's racing model is incredibly solid, much better than NFS has been since 3.
NFS needs to go more realistic, then. But it needs to still be as smooth.
Flat-Out would have been a nice step-up from Burnout, as far as realism, but it had too many frustrating issues.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. No subject May 22, 2007, 10:07 Daggz

Daytime racing ftw.

Most Wanted was fantastic fun so I was sorely disappointed when they returned to the whole driving only at night approach with the last outing. Maybe it's about time they did a mixture of the two?

The tech vid looks spiffing and all but I'm more interested in reading about actual gameplay elements/changes/updates than basing it on how it looks.

This comment was edited on May 22, 10:07.

21. Next Need4Speed May 22, 2007, 09:25 joe2tiger

I really liked Most Wanted. That was a lot of fun. I would like to see that come back a little more.

To be different from the past games, they should perhaps allow motorcycles to be ridden in this next installment. We can then flame to death car versus bike. They are the biggest rivals.

Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

20. Re: Yawn... May 22, 2007, 09:23 General Ego

Really? I thought that after the (non-PS2) mess that was Hot Pursuit 2, EA sacked the Canada crew and made Black Box Studios the sole-developer of NFS games and everything from Underground 1 onwards has been their work.

that's what I thought, too

|[ Jesus is coming. Look busy! ]|

19. Re: Yawn... May 22, 2007, 07:23 Optimaximal

I've heard that there are two teams doing NFS games, and they take turns. One seems to put out good racing games and the other makes bling-bling nighttime horrors.
Really? I thought that after the (non-PS2) mess that was Hot Pursuit 2, EA sacked the Canada crew and made Black Box Studios the sole-developer of NFS games and everything from Underground 1 onwards has been their work.

18. Re: Yawn... May 22, 2007, 05:08 Joel

A Polish magazine PLAY has published a preview of "Need for Speed: Pro Speed". So what are they waiting for?

17. Re: Yawn... May 22, 2007, 04:57 CeeJay

My favorites were Hot pursuit(3) , High Stakes(4), Hot Pursuit 2 (6), and Most Wanted (9).
Also liked parts of Underground 1 & 2 , but they were too much about the bling-bling and style and not enough about the driving.

I've heard that there are two teams doing NFS games, and they take turns. One seems to put out good racing games and the other makes bling-bling nighttime horrors.
The last NFS game (Carbon) really sucked so maybe it's time for a great one.

I'm noticing some positive things about the upcomming game from this short trailer :
1) Damage modelling
2) Daytime racing
3) Racetracks ( I also like driving in the city and countryside , just not all the time - some diversity is nice.)

I'm the developer of SweetFX

16. news about news? May 22, 2007, 03:36  cliffski 

talk about milking it. everyone is doing this now, not actually releasing any fresh news, but news about upcoming news, in order to double their PR exposure. Its just lame. its like TV reporters saying "the president is rumoured to be thinking of saying something interesting next week". Thats not news, its just a trailer.
Either make an annoucement, or get back to work, dont clutter up real games news with this stuff.

http://www.positech.co.uk

15. Re: Yawn... May 22, 2007, 03:28 Jerykk

Oh, and bring back replays plz.

14. Re: Yawn... May 22, 2007, 02:46  CrushBug 

Please re-add the joystick support that worked so perfectly in NFS Underground 2 and all the earlier games that was ripped out for Wanted and Carbon. Please?

Derek French
Technical Producer, Live Team
BioWare Corp.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

13. Re: Yawn... May 22, 2007, 02:36 Jerykk

Nice to see damage modeling back. Now they just need to stop carving tracks out of big urban environments and return to making unique, point-to-point tracks that take place around the world.

12. Re: Yawn... May 22, 2007, 01:45 me

I think the problem here is that they are making games to sell to young Americans who think bling bling and 21 inch wheels are what make a car... I know the people who play these gamezs, I have seen them play these... it's not pretty. They spend an hour in the "shop", selecting a new paint job and choosing the right rims, then race for 5 minutes.

EA is capitalizing on this instead of developing a new game. As long as these kids buy this crap we are stuck waiting for a real racing game to appear. Too bad for them other developers will catch onto this and possibly.... hopefully, fill the gap...?

11. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 00:54 vap0rxt

On Gametrailers website there is a video for need for speed 2007.

Intel E6600, HD 2900XT, 2 Gigs OCZ DDR2, Antec Nine-Hundred Case :p

10. Re: Yawn... May 22, 2007, 00:53 PHJF

I'd like to see more gearhead options. All these fancy cinematic elements are well and good but I'd really like more depth in my car than "purchase Sports Engine Upgrade".

------
"If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome!"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Yawn... May 22, 2007, 00:26 me

Dude, you said it all.

EA suxors now with the "fast an furious" game, #17... *sigh*

8. NFS: PU May 22, 2007, 00:00 Greenish

Something more like Porsche Unleashed would be welcome, i still have fond memories of that game. The car handling was one of the best on any racing game. That and a remake of Rally Championship would make my day.

7. Re: Yawn... May 21, 2007, 23:14 Fion

Most Wanted was a blast to play. Carbon sucked unfortunately. I to am sick of nothing but night driving.

I'd also like to see the franchise return a bit to it's roots, with a modern touch. Why does it have to be all city driving now? I miss the scenic mountain roads and farmlands of Porsche Unleashed for example.

The high impact crashing and real time damage is a keen idea. But games have used it before and that basically made up the whole of the game.. a gimmick. If this new NFS takes that, makes it a bit less gimmicky and puts a solid racing game behind it that isn't just more street racing in dark cities, I'd buy it.

6. Re: Yawn... May 21, 2007, 22:10 The Half Elf

I liked parts of Underground 2 (HATE DRIFTING), really enjoyed Most Wanted except for the damn drag racing blacklist events. Tried the Carbon demo and wasn't impressed.
My guess would be some sort of expansion or Carbon 2.

[EDIT]

Seems like they finally re-added car damage to the series. About fucking time.

This comment was edited on May 21, 22:12.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: Yawn... May 21, 2007, 22:01 Elf Shot The Food

I liked Most Wanted a lot, but Carbon was a rather cookie-cutter outing. This teaser doesn't really hint at whole lot, although maybe it means vehicles will actually show damage this time?

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo