Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Announced

After inspiring considerable speculation, Blizzard Entertainment reveals that StarCraft II is their promised new game announcement, as a sequel to their much-loved science fiction RTS game is in the works for Windows and Macintosh. No release date is set at this point, but after all these years there's finally something to see at Starcraft2.com, where there is artwork, information, a cinematic trailer and an artwork trailer, and promise of a gameplay trailer tomorrow. That promise aside, there are already two direct-feed trailers showing off actual gameplay on GameVideos, the first clip runs just under five minutes, and the second clip is a bit under four minutes. There are also additional screenshots on ToTheGame, and the cinematic trailer is mirrored on ComputerGames.ro, Gamer's Hell, and PixelRage, while the artwork trailer is mirrored on ComputerGames.ro, Gamer's Hell, and PixelRage. Here's the announcement of the game:

SEOUL, South Korea – May 19, 2007 – Blizzard Entertainment® today unveiled StarCraft® II, the sequel to its award-winning real-time strategy game StarCraft, at the 2007 Blizzard Worldwide Invitational event in Seoul, South Korea. The announcement took place inside the Olympic Gymnastics Arena, in front of thousands of attendees, who received a presentation that included a StarCraft II cinematic trailer and a gameplay demonstration by the development team.

Designed to be the ultimate competitive real-time strategy game, StarCraft II will feature the return of the Protoss, Terran, and Zerg races, overhauled and re-imagined with Blizzard’s signature approach to game balance. Each race will be further distinguished from the others, with several new units and new gameplay mechanics, as well as new abilities for some of the classic StarCraft units that will be making a reappearance in the game. StarCraft II will also feature a custom 3D-graphics engine with realistic physics and the ability to render several large, highly detailed units and massive armies on-screen simultaneously.

“With StarCraft II, we’ll be able to do everything we wanted to do with the original StarCraft and more,” stated Mike Morhaime, president and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “We recognize that expectations are high following the long-running popularity of the original game, but we plan to meet those expectations and deliver an engaging, action-packed, competitive experience that StarCraft players and strategy gamers worldwide will enjoy.”

StarCraft II will include a unique single-player campaign, as well as fast-paced online play through an upgraded version of Blizzard’s renowned online gaming service, Battle.net®. In addition, the game will come with a powerful, full-featured map editor that will put the same tools used by Blizzard’s designers into the hands of players.

Blizzard is developing StarCraft II for simultaneous release on the Windows® and Macintosh® PC platforms. Further information about the game, including details on the single-player, multiplayer, and map-editor features, as well as system requirements, pricing, and availability, will be announced in the months ahead. To learn more about StarCraft II, please visit the official website at www.starcraft2.com.

View
173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

173. Re: No subject May 24, 2007, 12:11 Jerykk

Words don't have special meanings just to suit you in the context of which you prefer.

Did you miss the whole paragraph I wrote about the difference between "plot" and "story" or something? You can ask any film student or professor and they'll say exactly what I said. I'm sorry if you can't grasp this concept but context does change the definitions of words.

Your definitions are very twisted. This is going nowhere.

That's what happens when you start arguing semantics instead of actually considering the meaning of the underlying claims. Even if you disagree with my definitions of respect and tolerance, you should still be able to understand my argument.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

172. Re: No subject May 24, 2007, 11:03 Krovven

I said that dictionary definitions are too limited because they don't account for context or cultural usage.

You crack me up Jerykk. Words don't have special meanings just to suit you in the context of which you prefer.

Your definitions are very twisted. This is going nowhere.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Titan Quest-Immortal Throne & Day of Defeat Source.

171. Re: No subject May 24, 2007, 03:27 Jerykk

You have listed meanings that have been fabricated from your own head and not from a proper resource.

I think you may have misread my original comment or something. I said that dictionary definitions are too limited because they don't account for context or cultural usage.

For example, "plot" and "story" in relation to film. The dictionary will list them as synonyms but in film, they are not. A film's plot is specifically what happens in the film while the story is simply a general overview. Try looking up "diegetic" in the dictionary too. It is an actual word commonly used to describe film elements that belong to the film's reality (as opposed to non-diegetic elements that have no place in the film's reality). Of course, you probably won't find this in the dictionary because it is a word which is defined by context.

In the case of "respect" and "tolerance," dictionaries only give the broadest, most simplistic definitions. My usage of the words are far more specific and take into account the context in which I used them.

So, once again:

Respect: Something earned. A form of admiration. Something that people give willingly.

Tolerance: Something forced. You tolerate something because you have to, not because you want to. If you've read anything, you'll know that tolerance is never used in the same light as respect. Respect always has a positive connotation while tolerance is neutral at best.

You can go refer to the dictionary again and then call me an idiot and copy and paste the definitions once more, if you wish. It would be rather pointless, though, as I've already explained.

You weren't talking about (or discussing) games, you've been dictating to everyone how your opinions are right and everyone else is wrong.

Actually reading my posts would probably help you form better arguments. I've already stated that opinions are inherently subjective and that notions of "good" and "bad" lie within the eye of the beholder. If I think a game sucks, then to me, it is a fact that the game sucks. Why? Because to me, the game sucks and that is a fact.

So to sum it up:
1) If I don't like a game, I think it is a bad game. That I think the game is bad is a fact.
2) Bad and good are opinions. Not facts. I repeat, not facts.
3) I have no reason to say a game that I think sucks is good. Might the game appeal to other people? Sure. But I'm not representing them. I'm representing myself.
4) Respect is voluntary, tolerance is forced. I have no reason to tolerate your opinion if I completely disagree with it. Conversely, if I agree with your opinion, I will respect it.

This comment was edited on May 24, 03:35.

170. Re: No subject May 23, 2007, 20:35 Krovven

Unfortunately, those definitions don't relate to the usage at hand.

Then please show us the dictionary meanings that do refer to the usage at hand. You have listed meanings that have been fabricated from your own head and not from a proper resource.

None, really. If you're not going to talk about games, you shouldn't respond to my posts because, well, I talk about games.

You weren't talking about (or discussing) games, you've been dictating to everyone how your opinions are right and everyone else is wrong.

169. Re: No subject May 23, 2007, 16:43 Jerykk

Hence why I selected the definitions that related directly to the usage at hand, genius.

Unfortunately, those definitions don't relate to the usage at hand. I believe I've defined my usage of the terms pretty well in my posts.

I have still not and will not discuss the quality of the games with you because its pointless, how many times do I need to say this?

None, really. If you're not going to talk about games, you shouldn't respond to my posts because, well, I talk about games.

This comment was edited on May 23, 16:46.

168. Re: No subject May 23, 2007, 15:47 Krovven

I mean, it's not like the meanings of words change with context or societal application or anything like that.

Hence why I selected the definitions that related directly to the usage at hand, genius.

You are attributing the definitions to your opinions of the games again, rather than to how you interact with people. The topic doesn't matter. I have still not and will not discuss the quality of the games with you because its pointless, how many times do I need to say this?

167. Re: No subject May 23, 2007, 11:06 JaZeeL

Jerykk, You lost the respect/tolerance debate. Give it up.

This comment was edited on May 23, 11:09.

166. Re: No subject May 23, 2007, 07:57 Ecthelion

People really misuse the term "respect." If you believe in one thing and someone else believes in the exact opposite, you can't respect their opinion. You can tolerate it, but not respect it.
I see your point. However, for most of us it's not a problem to respect other people's opinions because we don't ever believe the exact opposite. There aren't any games that I outright hate. There are some that I strongly dislike and will never play again. But does that mean I think people who love those games are "retarded"? No, of course not. Even if they think a game I strongly dislike is the best game ever, I can still respect them, because I don't think that game is the "worst game ever." I'd be the first person to say that Halo is an overrated game. If someone says it's the best game ever, I would express my opinion to the contrary. But I can still respect their opinion. Maybe Halo is the only game that person played. Maybe that kind of game appeals more to that person's playstyle.

So I guess my answer is, don't have strong opinions about games. Making fun of other people's game tastes just makes you look like an armchair critic. We already have movie and music snobs - do we really need game snobs too?

Gaming isn't just a hobby to me, it's a passion. This is why I have such strong opinions. I don't play games as a way to pass the time. I play games because I love them.
I love games too, but gaming is still a hobby for me. I don't know if you're still living in your parents' basement (sorry, but the stereotype is more often true than not) or if you're living on your own, but as you go through life, I think you'll find your passion for gaming will (by necessity) start to mellow out. I'm beginning to realize that I only have a few years of regular gaming left - once my wife and I start having kids, I probably won't be able to squeeze in even an hour or two a day anymore. Enjoy it while you can... the end is near!
As you get older, you are probably going to realize that people who like casual games are not idiots, and you'll stop hating "bad" games so strongly. The last few years have definitely changed my outlook on things. Hell, I don't even think consoles are "the devil" anymore! But this is probably one of those things like drugs. Your parents and elders can warn you until they're blue in the face, but when it comes down to it, you still have to learn the hard way.

Hmm... I'm not sure if I had a point with all this. We old-timers tend to ramble.

165. Re: No subject May 23, 2007, 06:24 Kedyn

All you have shown is hatred, and by bringing religion and race into this topic (about games!) you have shown who you really are.

So I'm a closet Nazi now? And I hate black people?

Nah Jerykk, you're just obnoxiously smarter than most of the people on this forum. venomhed is the one who is a bigot.

Seriously, if someone says they don't like a game, that's their opinion. If someone says they don't like people who play a game, that's their opinion too, geniuses. You're not gonna make Jerykk have a sudden change of heart like on some cheesy sitcom by arguing with him. "Wah, wah, he hurt my feelings on a forum!!" Well, you're gonna have to either leave, or suck it up like an adult. Non-stop bickering about opinions isn't going to make him or anyone else "right" because there is no "right".

Fact is, Blizzard shits gold. End of story.

164. Re: No subject May 23, 2007, 04:33 MattyC

Admitting that is the first step. The second is to walk away

Like you I hate 'daily life' sims. I hate The Sims with a passion and cannot imagine how anyone could enjoy it. What do I do? I stay away from discussing those games because my bias will blind me to how good or terrible they are for that genre. Just leave those games to those who enjoy the genre.

I don't debate R&B songs for the same reason, they might all sound like crap to me, but if someone likes that stuff, more power to them.

163. Re: No subject May 23, 2007, 03:50 Jerykk

To me, that's the real criteria for a good game. How does it compare to other games in the genre?

In general, I follow that logic as well. However, certain genres I find to be inherently flawed. MMOs, Diablo-clones, daily life simulators... these all have design philosophies that I strongly disagree with. WoW may be the best MMO out there right now but it will always suck to me because MMOs are inherently sucky.

The difference, however, between statements like the above and what Jerykk is peddling is that he doesn't differentiate between his likes and quality.

The problem with using "quality" in reference to games is that it only really applies to how polished a game is. Everything else is purely subjective. Is Halo polished? Sure. That doesn't make it good. It just makes it a polished piece of crap. Diablo? Polished. Sims? Polished. Good games? Hardly.

So yeah, I have no problem admitting that games I hate can be "quality" games when it comes to polish. But polish means little if I don't like the actual game.

162. Re: No subject May 23, 2007, 03:43 Jerykk

Actually you are the one that obviously doesn't even know the meaning of Respect or the proper use for it. Look it up...here I'll help you.

Ah, yes, the good ol' dictionary references. I mean, it's not like the meanings of words change with context or societal application or anything like that.

To show acknowledgment, courtesy, or consideration is exactly how one would show respect to people/opinions/beliefs, when you believe in something the complete opposite.

Key word: show respect. Respecting something and showing respect are entirely different things. I could say, "Well, I disagree with your opinion but I think it is a valid one nevertheless." That would be showing respect. However, would I respect your actual opinion? Of course not. Why would I? If I completely disagree with it, what is there to respect? If someone proclaims that Halo is the best shooter ever, I'm not going to respect that opinion because I clearly disagree with it.

Respect is something you give because you want to. Tolerance is something you give because you have to.

With every example you have given, you have not been fair, objective or permissive.

Fair: Playing a game before passing judgment. Every game I've ever mentioned, I've played. Usually for at least 3 hours, though some genres (like RPGs) obviously require longer periods of testing.

Objective: Um, I'm stating my opinions on games. Not sure how this can be objective.

Permissive: Not even sure how this applies. Am I to permit you to state your opinions while I sit back and remain silent? Am I supposed to say that certain games are good even when I find them fundamentally worthless?

And when it comes to posting my opinions on games, I have no need of tolerance.

All you have shown is hatred, and by bringing religion and race into this topic (about games!) you have shown who you really are.

So I'm a closet Nazi now? And I hate black people?

161. ... May 23, 2007, 01:02 theyarecomingforyou

Look, we get it... Jerykk's a fascist. Let's move on.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

160. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 19:55 Gandhi

Can't we all just get along?

(Oh yeah, 160th post%) )

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

159. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 17:18 Krovven

People really misuse the term "respect." If you believe in one thing and someone else believes in the exact opposite, you can't respect their opinion. You can tolerate it, but not respect it.

Actually you are the one that obviously doesn't even know the meaning of Respect or the proper use for it. Look it up...here I'll help you.

someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment...to show regard or consideration for

To show acknowledgment, courtesy, or consideration is exactly how one would show respect to people/opinions/beliefs, when you believe in something the complete opposite. This is not TOLERANCE, this is RESPECT. You sir have not learned Respect, and every statement you have made here keeps proving it.

Just for the record, you do not even use Tolerance in the proper context...

1. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.
2. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.

With every example you have given, you have not been fair, objective or permissive. All you have shown is hatred, and by bringing religion and race into this topic (about games!) you have shown who you really are.

158. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 16:28 Bhruic

It's stupid to require some sort of link between liking a game, and thinking it's good. I don't like The Sims. But I think it's a good game. It does what it aims to do well. To me, that's the real criteria for a good game. How does it compare to other games in the genre? In that sense, I consider Diablo to be a good game. In my mind, it's better than most of the "clones" (Dungeon Siege, Titan Quest, etc). On the other hand, I think Halo 1/2 are bad games. Because I think that there are plenty of much better games in the FPS market.

The difference, however, between statements like the above and what Jerykk is peddling is that he doesn't differentiate between his likes and quality. In his mind (going by his own statements), if he dislikes a genre, all games in that genre are automatically crap. Oh, sure, he can come up with reasons for why he dislikes the genre, but they have no real bearing of the quality of individual games within that genre.

If you can't look at a game and admit that it's good, even if you don't like it, then your opinion really doesn't carry much weight. Nor should it.

157. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 16:27 Jerykk

You should be able to respect other people's tastes in games, even if you disagree with them.

Again, respect != tolerance. Tolerating means you simply don't openly oppose or attack things you disagree with. You don't have to respect something to tolerate it. For example, if I was a closet Nazi, I would still tolerate Jews and black people because if I went out and killed or assaulted them, I'd get arrested. My tolerance would stem from a sense of self-preservation, not respect.

When I'm expressing an opinion on an online message board, such considerations are irrelevant. If I disagree with your opinion, I'm going to say so and explain why. I have no need to tolerate opinions I find to be retarded.

Gaming is a hobby after all.

Gaming isn't just a hobby to me, it's a passion. This is why I have such strong opinions. I don't play games as a way to pass the time. I play games because I love them.

156. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 15:09 Ecthelion

"When you express opinion as fact, people don't care for it."

Sigh. So I have to add "In my humble opinion," before ever expressing my opinions? Whenever I say "this game sucks" or "this has crappy, mindless gameplay," those are subjective statements and inherently opinionated. Adding "In my opinion" to them is redundant.

That said, it is a fact that I think Diablo is completely worthless.
I think people are more upset with your insinuation that fans of Diablo are inferior to you (at least in their choices of games) than they're upset with your failure to warn us that your opinions are actually opinions. At least that's where I'm coming from. You should be able to respect other people's tastes in games, even if you disagree with them. I think The Sims is a dumb game, and I don't understand why some people love it. But I don't belittle its fans. Just because I hate a game doesn't mean it's a bad game. To each their own.

"Ah, so you support religious persecution."

Not quite. If I'm a hardcore Catholic, I won't respect other religions. I could say that I do but that would be a lie since I would only see my own faith as true. That said, I won't go out of my way to kill Jews or Muslims. There's a difference between respect and tolerance. People of one faith may tolerate people of other faiths but they will never truly respect each other's beliefs.
I understand that. Anyone who is fervently zealous about their religion supports religious persecution.

But you don't need to be fervently zealous about the games you like and dislike. Gaming is a hobby after all. Lighten up.

This comment was edited on May 22, 15:44.

155. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 11:39 Jerykk

When you express opinion as fact, people don't care for it.

Sigh. So I have to add "In my humble opinion," before ever expressing my opinions? Whenever I say "this game sucks" or "this has crappy, mindless gameplay," those are subjective statements and inherently opinionated. Adding "In my opinion" to them is redundant.

That said, it is a fact that I think Diablo is completely worthless.

154. Re: No subject May 22, 2007, 11:36 Jerykk

Ah, so you support religious persecution.

Not quite. If I'm a hardcore Catholic, I won't respect other religions. I could say that I do but that would be a lie since I would only see my own faith as true. That said, I won't go out of my way to kill Jews or Muslims. There's a difference between respect and tolerance. People of one faith may tolerate people of other faiths but they will never truly respect each other's beliefs.

What kind of treatment should I expect?

Well, since you don't think Diablo is great, I have more respect for you than the fanboys. However, since you don't think it is complete and utter crap so you'll never get as much respect as someone who does.

And I don't think comparing Diablo to American Idol is all that extreme. Both are mindless. Both have legions of fans.

This comment was edited on May 22, 11:42.

173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo