Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s Loom

GSC Game World announces its plans to use next month's scaled-down E3 summit to unveil "several" follow-up games to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, their irradiated first-person shooter. No details on these projects are provided, all that's offered is a quote from GSC Game World's Sergiy Grygorovych: "We are very happy of the players' positive reaction to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. all over the world. This fills us with confidence the team is on the right track and adds us strength to go for next exciting accomplishments. It will be very soon that we present our new interesting ideas and solutions."

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Hours May 17, 2007, 23:02 venomhed

I agree that they should be wary of doing too much too soon in this type of game. How much Chernobyl can we explore? This is where Fallout has them, worldwide nuclear fallout.

Anyways, STALKER started with what I read, 8 people. THQ helped out immensely in getting the group focused.

I played an early alpha, actually 3 of them, about 3 years ago. Here was my experience.

1. No weather.
2. You could only play a female, with some strange armor and what looked like a jet fighter pilots helmet.
3. You had two bipedal droids with you, about 2-3 feet tall.

They would walk around you and all of a sudden, thousands of tracer type bullets would spray form trees, buildings etc, some by people some out the thin air. Your droids would do anything to protect you.

Weird huh? And look what the end product became. Now if you all got to try that, you would have said back then "this game is gonna suck ass!" but THQ really helped out in a reasonable time.

Is the game perfect? God no. But now that they know their is an audience, they can now get the resources to hopefully do what they really invisioned, again within reason.

lets hope and give them all the confidence and $ they can to do this. I wish them all the luck in the world and eagerly await their next PC ONLY title.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Hours May 17, 2007, 22:55 Creston

Oblivion is a great example of this. If it had 5 huge, interesting, lost Eleven cities, that would be cool, rather than 10,000 generic ones.

You do know you don't HAVE to do all of them, right?

Not that I disagree, the repetition of the dungeons is a big flaw in Oblivion, but whenever I play a new character, I just grab a few dungeons and that's it. I don't try to do all the dungeons with every character.

(Though with OOO, there are a few that I always do, just because the static loot there is so great.)

Creston

48. Re: Awesome May 17, 2007, 22:53 Creston

WTF BLIZZARD!?! My twenty-fifth run to Sethek and no $%@#%$ shoulders!

WoW sounds like SO MUCH FUN! Just as much fun as my frakking job...

Creston

47. Re: No subject May 17, 2007, 22:51 Creston

Creston, come on man, wasn't 7 years. They did their own game and took a HUGE chance on coming out with something NO ONE has done in an age of MMO's and sick to death of D&D games.

I didn't mean it in a bad way, I haven't played STALKER (doesn't sound like my cup of tea, if I have to explore respawning areas etc, then I WANT stats and character growth), but from the sounds of most peeps here, it's good, it's fairly fresh, and the devs are to be commended for doing something outside the regular, done-to-death, molds.

Having said that, they took a VERY long time (it wasn't 7? I thought it was 7, but okay) to do this one game, and had to cut like a bajillion features out of it just to release it in that timeframe.

I think for them to be thinking about doing multiple games in this universe is not a very smart idea, unless they're going to expand their worker base by 200%.

Their next move is JUST as important as releasing Stalker. GSC needs to play their cards right BIG time!

I agree, which is why focussing on multiple games at once is not a good idea. Just do like Crytek does, and focus on your next game. One game at a time. Devs that do that tend to release better quality games than those that have three things boiling at once, anyways.

Creston

46. Well May 17, 2007, 16:21 venomhed

the ability to build a fire would be cool, but not necessary. The half assed approach they did to eating wasn't good for anyone either.

No looking for a simulation, but more RPG elements. How about the ability to rest or wait, not in real time, so you don't have to wait for the sun to show. I waited several times for 20 minutes just to be able to see at the start of the game. The flashligh just wasn't good enough to guide me out of some of the dark areas in the forests.

45. No subject May 17, 2007, 14:50 Cabezone

Good god man, building campfires?, shelters from dogs? How about you have to catch fish and sit around the fire for ten minutes cooking it? Then you can sleep for 8 hours in real time, just so it's ultra realistic.

Sounds awesome!

"Gun Free Zone" is Psychopath for "Soft Target"

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

44. Re: No subject May 17, 2007, 13:48 Awesome Spume

Well, I'm not sick to death of D&D games, just BAD D&D games.

And there hasn't been a GOOD D&D game since 2002's Icewind Dale 2.

Truth!

43. Re: Hours May 17, 2007, 13:46 Tango

U can, its called 'Crysis'..
Let's hope so

42. Re: Hours May 17, 2007, 13:42 Wildone

U can, its called 'Crysis'..

41. Re: Hours May 17, 2007, 13:09 Tango

Still, I would love to see far more RPG in Stalker, more randomness, more survival techniques like building a fire, shelter to ward off dogs etc.
Meh, I'd rather see less of that and more FPS stuff - vehicles, fights (you can win) with choppers, seat-of-the-pants action. If I get the best armour half way through the game, I don't want it to be fucked by the time I get to the end.

I guess it just shows you can't please all of the people, all of the time. Fortunately, STALKER was good enough at both the RPG and the FPS to keep us both happy

40. Hours May 17, 2007, 12:48 venomhed

I like shorter games, around 20 hours. Anything longer and I lose interest due to the fact that games start repeating themselves. Oblivion is a great example of this. If it had 5 huge, interesting, lost Eleven cities, that would be cool, rather than 10,000 generic ones.

Stalker is not immune to this either, but is far less so. Still, I would love to see far more RPG in Stalker, more randomness, more survival techniques like building a fire, shelter to ward off dogs etc.

Good start, they hopefully will listen to the community about what went right and wrong, and not be arrogant like Bethesda, who just does what they want and repeats the same flaws every time.

39. No subject May 17, 2007, 12:45 fujiJuice

A very good game, my only complaints are bugs, and the endless backtracking, it was just so very tedious, it's obvious they had vehicles in to make it less so, however when they removed them it just became a chore.

38. Re: No subject May 17, 2007, 11:52 The Half Elf

I just want english voiceovers for the stalkers, especially the ones around the camp fires etc. Some of the translations people have posted on the stalker board are very entertaining.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

37. No subject May 17, 2007, 11:48 dryden555

a great game but with some notable faults too -- I like the idea of a follow-up game if they can refine the usefulness of sub-missions and offer some ways to customize your character's abilities

36. Re: No subject May 17, 2007, 11:34 PHJF

I did a lot of wandering around and exploring and dragged my time up to ~20-25 hours.

------
"If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome!"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

35. No subject May 17, 2007, 11:16 xXBatmanXx

For you guys that are finishing or near finishing STALKER - how many hours of playtime?

Gun Control isn't about guns. It's about control.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

34. Love it.... May 17, 2007, 08:31 Dreagon

....great game. It's not for everybody because it hasn't been dumbed down for them, but theres plenty of games for those people to go play so it's all good. It does have it's technical problems but I think the person who described it as a "diamond in the rough" has it right.

This comment was edited on May 17, 08:32.

------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

33. Re: Awesome May 17, 2007, 02:16 Ray Marden

I have the newest patch, though, and they really have not. There have been some very minute tweaks, but not what is needed, expecially for the more obvious flaws.

Great idea, but they still need to get it "right." I can play through it and it is overall enjoyable, but it is not what I would call a "great" experience.
WTF BLIZZARD!?! My twenty-fifth run to Sethek and no $%@#%$ shoulders!
Shrugging,
Ray

-----
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

32. Re: Awesome May 17, 2007, 01:04 Jerykk

Make stealth/hiding worthwhile.

Adjust the carrying capacity slightly.

Improve friendly/enemy Stalker identification.

Have quests display right coordinates.

Remove completed quests from map and journal.

Tinker with weapon effectiveness.

Tinker with game economy.

Improve friendly AI drastically.

Tinker with anomoly placement.

They've already addressed some of these issues with the patches. Unfortunately, they haven't addressed the issue of the save game converter they promised and have yet to deliver.

31. Great Game May 17, 2007, 00:50 Techie714

This really is a great game. It's nice to see something new & refreshing.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo