Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Blizzard Teasing

The Blizzard Entertainment Website now offers further teasing of Blizzard's announcement this week in South Korea (story). The new intro page to the site offers a timeline of Blizzard games, currently highlighting the first two Warcraft games, with the titles that followed shown on a timeline leading to an intriguing question mark. Thanks R00fles. The announcement of what's being teased is expected on May 19.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: No subject May 14, 2007, 22:21 The Half Elf

Honestly with the monthly subscription fee and not a full MMO, Hellgate: London has shot itself in the foot. Time will tell.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: No subject May 14, 2007, 19:24 HellSlayer

lol omg:) Hellgate:london = no fan base? What type of crack have you been smoking? Anyone that knows alittle bit about games knows Bill Roper=blizzard North and blizzard north =Diablo and Diablo2:) Hellgate will be an awesome game, and with that thought why knock the fact they are still giving you options? I will go elite for sure, but you bums can still play for free:)Hellgate's fanbase is just fine, people all acrosss the globe are looking forward to this game:)

Btw the words action rpg was used first by people talking about Diablo:)Blizzard North created the first action rpg 0.x

"You know I am right!"
This comment was edited on May 14, 19:28.

o0

51. No subject May 14, 2007, 12:33 nightfend

Who the F-ing cares what genre it's categorized as as long as it's fun. You RPG purists crack me up...

50. Re: No subject May 14, 2007, 12:25 Krovven

It definitely won't be a WoW expansion...at least not just that. There have been bits and pieces of info released, and if you piece them together, it's most likely a Starcraft MMO.
It's just a guess, but I think they will also announce Diablo 3.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Titan Quest-Immortal Throne & Day of Defeat Source.

49. Re: Warcraft burnout May 14, 2007, 10:42 Jerykk

Right, you just described what makes the basis for an action-RPG, a sub-genre of RPGs, as well as hybrid game combining some of the biggest aspects of two major genres.

No, no, an action RPG is something that offers all the choices I mentioned but also has an emphasis on action. The Gothic games, for example, are action-RPGs. The Diablo games, however, are not.

48. Re: Heh. May 14, 2007, 08:10 Sepharo

I didn't know there way anything to call... It was obvious this was a timeline from the start... I was flabbergasted when I saw the first post on these comments trying to explain it.

47. Re: Heh. May 14, 2007, 07:03 The Half Elf

Whaddayaknow I called it in comment #3

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

46. Re: Warcraft burnout May 14, 2007, 05:36 Masa

Diablo is not an RPG. It's an isometric action game with stats.

Right, you just described what makes the basis for an action-RPG, a sub-genre of RPGs, as well as hybrid game combining some of the biggest aspects of two major genres.

If you really wanted to be a purist, you would argue the only true RPGs are tabletop games.

45. Re: Heh. May 14, 2007, 05:00 wonkawonka

trivial matters. :-)
Every day starting today is a different game. I got thrown off by the double-header yesterday.

44. Re: Heh. May 14, 2007, 03:46 PHJF

Except that this is the 14th, not the 15th, and there is no Starcraft involved.

------
"If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome!"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

43. Heh. May 14, 2007, 03:30 wonkawonka

Whaddayaknow, I was right (for once)!!!!! (read my earlier comment #20 for my prediction)

Today they shifted the home page to showcase Diablo.

42. Hmm... May 14, 2007, 02:27 Icewind

Did Bill roper leave on good terms? If not, they might announce Diablo 3. Doing that would put the final nail in the coffin of Roper's Hellgate: London. Especially now, afetr the "Elite" payment option.

That is, if they truly hate the Flagship guys for leaving. WoW money might have helped that wound heal.

41. Re: No subject May 14, 2007, 01:54 PHJF

[ Diablo would be competing with Hellgate and Titan Quest
Competing with a pay-to-play FPS and a game with no multiplayer fanbase? Diablo 2 was huge, easily enough to warrant another romp through the gates of hell. People were spending hundreds of dollars for Windforces on B.Net long before anybody knew what purple loot was.

------
"If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome!"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

40. Re: No subject May 14, 2007, 00:42 Animals for Crackers

Watch this end up just being another WoW expansion. That would so make me happy...so happy...

No, as opposed to a genuinely open-ended game where you can deal with every situation as you see fit (force, stealth, diplomacy, etc) and can make important choices that alter the course of the game.

Yeah I got you. But all that is considered fluff on most average games that are still considered RPGs. Diablo has very "loose", shall we say, RPG elements. I'd like to see more RPGs like you described done right.

This comment was edited on May 14, 00:45.

39. Re: No subject May 14, 2007, 00:38 AhrimaaN

Diablo would be competing with Hellgate and Titan Quest, so being in Korea it is obviously StarCraft related. Unfortunately I bet it will have a pay for mmo system in there somewhere Not a traditional rts

38. No subject May 14, 2007, 00:23 Xero

Cmon...we don't need a 3rd Diablo when we haven't even had a 2nd Starcraft yet. Starcraft 2 would kick so much ass at a time right now where we get all these flooded crappy RTS games with some exclusions. Let the king bring back one of the best. I still prefer Wc3 over any of these new RTS games at the moment.

Currently playing: Sanitarium, Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux

37. Re: Warcraft burnout May 14, 2007, 00:20 Jerykk

As opposed to a turn-based game with stats?

No, as opposed to a genuinely open-ended game where you can deal with every situation as you see fit (force, stealth, diplomacy, etc) and can make important choices that alter the course of the game.

Choosing a class in Diablo is akin to choosing a weapon in Serious Sam. The methods may differ but in the end, you are just mowing down waves of mindless enemies.

36. Re: Warcraft burnout May 14, 2007, 00:11 Animals for Crackers

Diablo is not an RPG. It's an isometric action game with stats..

As opposed to a turn-based game with stats?

35. Re: Warcraft burnout May 14, 2007, 00:07 Jerykk

Easy: Diablo. The RTS genre is clouded with quality while good Action RPGs are nowhere to be found, Guild Wars excluded.

Diablo is not an RPG. It's an isometric action game with stats.

34. Re: Warcraft burnout May 13, 2007, 23:45 The Half Elf

Still gonna say it's Starcraft 2. If you have seen any videos of their championships you'd know that if they announced anything non Starcraft. your gonna have a riot of millions of Koreans with those blow up sticks ya slap together rampaging. And probably the death via those sticks for whoever makes the announcement

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo