Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hellgate: London Subscription Fees

Hellgate Guru has word from the latest issue of Games for Windows magazine revealing the pricing structure for Hellgate: London, Flagship Studio' upcoming action/RPG. While there will be free basic online play, those willing to pay $9.95 per month for an "Elite" membership will get perks such as 24/7 support, no server queues, extra characters, a larger inventory, access to additional game modes, and more. The $9.95 rate is the North American price, the article mentions other territories will be priced differently, offering the Asian market as an example of where it will be much less expensive for an Elite account. There are developer comments on this on the Hellgate Guru Forums.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. No subject May 20, 2007, 01:30 Chris

I only play PC games so thats where my view point is from and unless im misinformed, PC developers are making more and more games for consoles, shifting resources away from PC dev. They are FOLLOWING THE CASH.... so the fact that you even have those 360 and ps3 games at all is apparently proof to that.

What i want is when a game takes 4 years to make and your looking forward to that sort of game, then if it takes 30 more dollars to ensure that they don't F it up and/or cut features so i have to wait another 6 months- 2 years for its replacement... Heck, i spent 6 months playing Rouge Spear muntiplayer online, and i only paid 4 hours wages for it and if i could pay %500 dollars to make it the most flippin kick ass mind blowing game i've played yet, i would with some games.

This comment was edited on May 20, 01:47.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: No subject May 15, 2007, 22:19 Creston

But its obvious that more money is one thing that will get us better games

Ahhahhahhahahahahahahahaa..

I think...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

No really, let me...

HAHAHHHAAHAHAAHAAAAAAAA

(hint : Xbox360/PS3 titles cost more, but are they better?)
More money means the publisher gets richer. It has no correlation whatsoever to game quality.

Creston

48. No subject May 14, 2007, 08:26 dryden555

The developer and/or the publisher got greedy. It looks like an interesting game but there's so many games out there why would I bother with one that wants 10 bucks every month? Unless this game is 100% amazing in every way, they goofed.

47. No subject May 13, 2007, 15:28 Chris

You guys are trippin out over 10 bucks a month! With my lowly house painter income i only have to work 40 fucking minutes to pay that MONTHLY fee! If monthly fees make the that much better then pay it!!!!! If not then go for something else!

I'm not even looking forward to this game. But its obvious that more money is one thing that will get us better games. Developing games is work, not fun......

This comment was edited on May 13, 15:30.

46. No subject May 10, 2007, 08:25 Gutted

I have never ever said anything like this before but I hope everyone not only chooses not to buy this game but pirate and hack the fuck out of it.

45. Re: No subject May 10, 2007, 01:02 Stanly Manly

Sadly, I'll have to scratch HG:L off of the very short list of PC games that I was interested in buying. The funny thing, is that up until the rumor about the new Starcraft game, it was the only one.

What got me was the idea of paying 10 bucks a month for quarterly content as opposed to just buying an expansion. I'm really disgusted here with their pricing model. Its a slap in the face to the gamers.

44. Re: No subject May 9, 2007, 22:10 Halo

I can see it now.

day 1 realease game - 50 bucks a pop.
shortly there after - $10*every monkey who takes the bait
close to a year - Expansion pack 30 bucks! BAM
every so often - Ultra premium super weapon $7
1 year reward - A sweet ass item = $120 (sucker)

I like how they just say they're "Rewarding loyal customers" "keeping the community happy"

I wish gamespy hardballed them and asked the BIG QUESTION.
What happens when a "suit" pulls the plug on support? and moves the team into the next new thing.

Then you have a "loyal fan base" realising they paid close to a thousand dollars for a game that's old.

Something like They'll get a free item in Hellgate 2!

43. No subject May 9, 2007, 21:57 zirik

the game developers are really trying hard to break my addiction to pc gaming. this one moves me one step closer to that goal. thanks f*gshit studios!

42. Re: No subject May 9, 2007, 18:30 4D-Boxing

I know UT games are not everybodys cup of tea but look at the amout of extra content from map packs to extra characters Epic gave gamers for free.

That is the type of support games need. Sure most of the mappacks where created by users trying to win that make something ureal contest but still..thanks to their support, good SDK they kept their games alive for a long time.

Hellgate will die a very quick death.

This comment was edited on May 9, 18:31.

41. Re: 3 strikes already May 9, 2007, 17:12 Roofles

HG:L is going to be Vista only? I've never heard this one before.

Also, Mythos is supposed to be free anyways since it's just testing the network for Hellgate.

40. Re: 3 strikes already May 9, 2007, 15:04 VultureMAN

1. requires VISTA
2. can't host game for Lan Party (D2 parties still occur)
3. pay $10/month for uncrippled game version (maybe if they threw in other games - Mythos? maybe)

Their actions show theyh forgot what makes D2 fun. Do we trust them to get game play right like it was in D2.

39. Well... May 9, 2007, 12:14 Mysdrial

If I can't play this co-operatively over my own LAN *for free*, then I guess I won't be buying it. Too bad, was looking forward to it.

Luckily, it shouldn't take long before someone hacks a free server for it, anyway. Kind of sad, but if you're going to screw the customers, we're more than happy to screw you back.

38. G4 May 9, 2007, 11:52 Kxmode

G4 was doing a preview of it over the weekend and it didn't look that amazing - kind of like an every day action game.

G4 is dead to me.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode

37. standard May 9, 2007, 11:48 Kxmode

24/7 support, no server queues, extra characters, a larger inventory, access to additional game modes, and more

AFAIK I think most of those offerings, save 24/7 support, is standard in most others.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode

36. Re: Stupid, greedy move = no sale May 9, 2007, 11:17 MMORPGHoD

Crappy news, although I probably wouldn't have made more than 1 or 2 chars. The larger inventory for $10 would really suck, not that I planned on playing it.

35. Stupid, greedy move = no sale May 9, 2007, 10:20 Xyggy

This is complete BS. Screw you, Flagshit. It's pretty bad when these developers are greedier than Blizzard (Bliz is probably better off without them on their payroll, imo), but then again they signed with EA, so that should say something right there.

34. Re: bad idea May 9, 2007, 09:54 Wowbagger_TIP

If Diablo 3 were to bury Hellgate, is it because it's actually a good game or is it just because it's called "Diablo".

You have to look at the whole package. Diablo 3 might just be a pretty good game that doesn't cost $10 a month to get features that it should have already. That should be enough to put it well over the top of the crap that Flagship is trying to pull. There's no way I'm paying that much per month for what they're offering. I could almost get a full WoW or other MMOG subscription for that, and those tend to give a lot more in return. Server queues? It'll be funny to see how well that goes over...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

33. Re: bad idea May 9, 2007, 09:43 Keilun

You are delusional if you think Diablo 3 won't have this exact same model. The days of a free "Battle.net" are long gone.

Guild Wars adopts the "Battle.net" model. It's far from gone.

This comment was edited on May 9, 09:44.

32. No subject May 9, 2007, 09:25 WebDemon

Uh yeah. Good luck with that.

31. No subject May 9, 2007, 09:19 Araes

This is a drawback of WOW's success, it showed developers and publishers that gamers don't mind paying monthly to play a game. Throw in the fact that they are losing money to piracy and we'll be paying montly every other online game in future.:|

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo