Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of StarCraft?

StarCraft MMO blasts into orbit on Computer and Video Games says Blizzard will announce an MMOG based on StarCraft in two weeks at a Blizzard event in South Korea on May 19. They claim their confirmation of this rumor comes from "Well placed US sources," and the tone of the article is quite confident about its accuracy, even though their sources were not deemed worth of the 'reliable' appellation.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

27. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 20:34 Fion

I would take either. However, if it's another run-of-the-mill MMORPG I won't even bother. The MMO genre needs a good, swift kick in the pants.

It is. The swift kick is called Age of Conan.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 20:32 Fion

Planetside is freaking awesome fun. Especially when there are a lot of people online. Theres no FPS remotely like it. Think of playing Tribes, with 300 other people.

It's just to bad that theres nothing really to do besides the strait on PvP. You can change your certs easy enough, but the fun only lasts a few months, if that.

A Starcraft MMOG will be huge no doubt, but I can just see WoW instanced PvP garbage in Starcraft already.

25. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 20:29 Lorcin

Planetside required actual thought, dedication, persistence and teamwork...

yeah SOE really need to work on that launcher/patcher. Pity after you use the required actual thought, dedication, persistence and teamwork the game is shit don't you think?

Vegetarian Logic: We'll save animals by eating their food

24. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 20:21 Mead

Planetside required actual thought, dedication, persistence and teamwork...

Was any one side ever able to completely win the map?

23. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 20:20 Masa

The MMO genre needs a good, swift kick in the pants.

I agree, but I'd be willing to give Starcraft a try if it went that direction. I'm just so sick of fantasy-themed MMO's. There's a few scifi ones out there, but they're largely not worth a damn. That's why it broke my heart when MS detailed Shadowrun to be the game it is.

22. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 20:18 Hump

So it'd be great to be playing Starcraft but through a soldier's eye view, something like Battlezone 2.

Thats another great idea. A Battlezone FPS/RTS hybrid would work very well in an MMOG environment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

21. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 20:18 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

I know most people think it will be a MMOFPS, but what if it's an MMORTS

I would take either. However, if it's another run-of-the-mill MMORPG I won't even bother. The MMO genre needs a good, swift kick in the pants.

20. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 20:18 Masa

World of Starcraft??

I think Galaxy of Starcraft would be far cooler and more appropriate.

This comment was edited on May 5, 20:18.

19. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 20:16 Charlie_Six

That'd be cool. I want to see a combination of RTS and RPG. I like the first or third person view of RPGs. I don't like the Top-down view of RTS games. They take the visual spectacle of the massive battles out of the game, IMO.

So it'd be great to be playing Starcraft but through a soldier's eye view, something like Battlezone 2.

An MMOFPS would be great, but FPS games, to my knowledge, have zero appeal amongst female gamers, which is a big part of the MMO market. It'd be great if there was at least one or two classes in the game that were FPS oriented though. Like the Ghost unit.. maybe he could snipe at enemy weakspots or something.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

18. No subject May 5, 2007, 19:46 Hump

Please let this be a MMOFPS ala Planetside.

That would be absolutely perfect IMO.....which why it'll never happen .

Planetside required actual thought, dedication, persistence and teamwork, something sorely lacking with most of the young-uns nowadays.

I am a Blues Nazi.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

17. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 19:45 The Half Elf

Think it will be a MMOFPS based on Starcraft, no. Hope it will be yes, yes, and yes.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

16. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 19:43 Roofles

Yeah that's what I was thinking also.

All I know is if it's another MMORPG, I'll be very disappointed. (Oh god...WTB Upgraded Gauss Shells! 25 Vespene! LFG Tarsonis Raid! PST!)

15. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 19:35 Sixis

I know most people think it will be a MMOFPS, but what if it's an MMORTS, where you manage and upgrade a small group of units and then combine them into massive armies with other players?

Oh my, I think I need a new pair of pants....

14. DUH! May 5, 2007, 19:35 HardCore

Gee an MMO based on Starcraft, what a suprise.

People always seem to enjoy what they pay more for, so let the idiots enjoy...

I doubt it will be the only MMO announced by Blizzard there.

This comment was edited on May 5, 19:37.

13. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 19:33 Ihya

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Korean voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Seriously, South Korea will ask the north to train their nukes on Blizzard HQ if they fail to deliver Starcraft 2.

This comment was edited on May 5, 19:34.

12. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 19:33 Prowler

The big question I have is whether the game will be on multiple platforms or not. Personally, my hope is that it will be for PC only. Computer gaming needs a product like this to keep it alive.

11. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 19:16 nin

It would crush my fragile will and the shaky line I travel between maintaing a job and playing video games full time would disintegrate.

I'll see ya there!

-----------------------------------------------------
Listen, now: http://yearzero.nin-thespiral.com/FLJoi4gjw2f/player.html

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. No subject May 5, 2007, 19:13 Xero

I knew it! I've had this in my mind the moment I heard they would possibly be announcing a starcraft related product. Ghost got cancelled yet it gave them some ideas and experience in a Starcraft universe up close and personal. I figure they cancelled it so they could take it to awhole new level. Making a Starcraft 2 would be hard. I also don't see why they would when they are about to release a big Starcraft 1 patch in a week or so. But I've always imagined how cool this could be. More realistic graphics than WoW, finding crazy guns as gears and cool biosuits or something. Could be real cool stuff if done right. WoW was done right, I don't see how they could take any chances and not make this one right. Sucks though, I wanted SC2!

Currently playing: Skyrim

9. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 19:07 Sepharo

Oh god... I couldn't take a Blizzard MMOFPS.

It would crush my fragile will and the shaky line I travel between maintaing a job and playing video games full time would disintegrate.

8. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 19:01 Sixis

Well, if this is true, now we know what will kill WoW.

Of course, at Blizzard development rate, we won't see WoS until 2010.

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo