Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of StarCraft?

StarCraft MMO blasts into orbit on Computer and Video Games says Blizzard will announce an MMOG based on StarCraft in two weeks at a Blizzard event in South Korea on May 19. They claim their confirmation of this rumor comes from "Well placed US sources," and the tone of the article is quite confident about its accuracy, even though their sources were not deemed worth of the 'reliable' appellation.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

47. Re: No subject May 6, 2007, 01:14 The Half Elf

And that's one of Planetside flaws. I love the idea of Planetside, but the execution was/is horrible.

And I don't see them going for the console with a MMO. Reason for this is alot of people in the Asian markets play at cyber cafes. Now I have no clue about home internet access in that market, but I'd be willing to guess it's not as good as other countries.

As for a RTS MMO..... it's an interesting idea but as someone else said there are alot of gameplay issues I could cropping up, but who knows.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: No subject May 6, 2007, 00:47 Jerykk

Think of playing Tribes, with 300 other people.

Tribes with 300 players would be retarded. A total clusterfuck.

45. Re: No subject May 6, 2007, 00:07 Grounded

great

more faction grinding for the common man!

44. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 23:46 eunichron

Whatever it is, MMOFPS/RPG/RTS, I bet that they will try to tap the console market with this one.
I doubt it seeing as every attempt by Blizzard to tap into consoles has either failed (StarCraft 64), or been cancelled before it even came to market (StarCraft: Ghost).

My guess is it will just be an RTS. WoW is still flourishing from it's expansion, and even a decent StarCraft MMO would most likely kill WoW (I personally like WarCraft more than StarCraft, because I've been playing WC since WC1). Then again, even if half the WoW subscribers give it up for "World of StarCraft", that's still 4 million subscribers per title.

[EDIT]
Though, if they offered a dual subscription, say both games for $20, I'd probably do it. :]
This comment was edited on May 5, 23:47.

43. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 23:30 CJ_Parker

Whatever it is, MMOFPS/RPG/RTS, I bet that they will try to tap the console market with this one. They already got one extremely successful PC-exclusive MMORPG so from a business point, it would seem to make sense if they would try to take the lead in the console MMO space now. That makes an MMORTS unlikely so I'd expect a MMORPG or MMOFPS or maybe a hybrid (further "dumbed down" gameplay compared to WoW so it'll work with a controller only). Probably with voice chat as the only way to communicate with other players so PC users do not get an advantage from having a keyboard for communication. That is, if there will be a PC version at all...

We'll find out when they make it official I guess.

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

42. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 23:11 Sepharo

Despite the intense awesomeness that would be a StarCraft MMOFPS, I'd have to agree with Sixis and say that's probably not going to happen.

But at the same time if this "fact" that Blizzard is releasing a StarCraft MMOG turns out to be just that, a fact, then I'd hope Blizzard wouldn't just re-release WoW with a StarCraft theme. And the way they could do something different would be to make an MMOFPS.

But who knows, maybe they look at this as the sequel to WoW.

"Coming in 3 years a new WoW with better graphics, improvements and a whole new setting: StarCraft!"

Ugh now that I've typed it, it sounds like that's probably the truth of it.

41. Re: Starcraft May 5, 2007, 22:58 ColoradoHoudini

Well, I could easily see a MMORTS ... that would make a lot of sense. However, there are so many questions in that genre that would have to be answered.
(wasnt there a game called.. Ballerium(?) that was going to be a MMORTS?
How big would you let someones force get? is a faceless force enough to give me a personal connection to my troops? Do I get a main hero unit? The more I think about it, the more I don't see a MMORTS--to many questions.
FPS. well maybe.. and I'd be interested for sure.

or a regular Starcraft 2? sure.. why not. although I found that i didnt really get into Starcraft and found other RTS's better than both Starcraft and Warcraft.. off the top of my head.. Warlords Battlecry wtfowned Warcraft in every facet save for graphics.

If we are placing wagers.. I'd say MMOFPS.. why the fuck not.

/had a bit to drink tonight..rambling on

40. Re: Starcraft May 5, 2007, 22:44 Cutter

So really it'll just be WoW in space with different graphics. Thanks but bring on Diablo 3 already. At least there's no monthly fee.

"No no no, I went the other road. Six figures, doing business with leadpipe cruelty, mercenery sensibility. You know... sports, sex, no real relationships. How about you - how have the years been treating you?"
- Martin Q. Blank

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

39. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 22:41 Sixis

Here's why I doubt it will be MMOFPS, Blizzard makes games that will run on older machines, and they are pretty serious about not requiring perfect internet connections for online play. The Asian market is particularly sensitive to high system requirements. Blizzard has never released a game that had spectacular graphics, they have always made things work with simple engines and low detail (with amazing art direction).

But for a FPS (MMO or SP) on PCs you need to use cutting-edge graphics, and unless they can come up with an entirely new control system the player with the lower ping has a huge advantage. This is not Blizzard's style, they haven't made an action/twitch game in a long long time (Blackthorne anyone?).

38. Re: Starcraft May 5, 2007, 22:18 The Half Elf

Well if you compair the Warcraft franchise vs the Starcraft franchise especially in the Asian Markets, they would be all over this.

Now even if WoW lost half of it's subscribers to Starcraft, even at 4 million it's still a win win either way. With most MMO's getting a max of 250,000 subscribers, they can't loose money wise.

Honestly I wouldn't mind Blizzard pumping out a few MMO's and putting another nail in SOE's coffin.

Yeah that might take 7 years to make, but at the same time you are getting a very polished game. None of this Stalker Crap.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

37. Starcraft May 5, 2007, 22:09 venomhed

I don't think there is room enough for a Starcraft MMOG and WOW. It will compete against itself and who has time for both?

Talk about tools to further the demise of any social contact in America.

36. No subject May 5, 2007, 21:53 Cabezone

The actualy gameplay of Planetside was complete shit. It was an awsome concept bogged down by poor mechanics. None of the vehicles took any kind of skill to fly due to the complete lack of any kind of flight model. Vehicles didn't have any kind of driving model. Everything controlled like you were just a guy running around.

"Gun Free Zone" is Psychopath for "Soft Target"

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

35. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 21:33 Sepharo

Planetside did shit years ago that even the most advanced squad based shooters haven't even done yet. The problem is most people jumped into the game with the idea of playing a quick round as if it were Counter-Strike or Rainbow Six then hopping off. It wasn't like that. You had to spend time forming a squad and hook up within a chain of command to get the most out of the experience.

That's why I hope this is a MMOFPS because Planetside was before its time. I think that WoW brought big-clan teamwork to the mainstream. So if we do get our MMOFPS I think people will be ready to make the mega-clans and get shit done. That being said there also needs to be a loner experience but Blizzard has proven they can bring the mega-clan and solo experiences as they did with WoW.

34. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 21:21 AhrimaaN

I don't believe this. It would be fucking monumentally stupid for Blizzard to release this now as it would only eat into the massive subscriber base they already have with WoW - why kill off (well hurt at least anyway) the most successful mmog there already is for another one?

I call shenanigans

Starcraft 2 is coming. It will not be a traditional mmog - perhaps an rts mmog.

33. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 21:20 Hump

Pity after you use the required actual thought, dedication, persistence and teamwork the game is shit don't you think?

absolutely not. Ever get up on a weekend morning and see over 300 of your clanmates assembled in ground troop formation and/or battletanks, scouts, bombers, fast attack ground vehicles, support/supply/medic vehicles then set off to take back a continent?

Planetside did shit years ago that even the most advanced squad based shooters haven't even done yet. The problem is most people jumped into the game with the idea of playing a quick round as if it were Counter-Strike or Rainbow Six then hopping off. It wasn't like that. You had to spend time forming a squad and hook up within a chain of command to get the most out of the experience. You had to get the equivilent of XP points to get the good weapons and that took a bit of time as well.

The game is free now with a limit of battlerank "8" I beleive....not enough to get the best weapons and armor but enough to experience the depth of what it has to offer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

32. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 21:12 shinchan0s

Holy shit.

I don't want to believe this but if it's true and if it's anything like "WoW in space" I hope this blows up in their fucking faces.

It would be pretty cool if were similar to something like Shattered Galaxy though.

But you know it's a WoW clone. I hope every single executive at Blizzard dies in a horrible plane crash. I really do.

31. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 21:04 Ray Marden

I am curious to see what happens. I think this is the next inevitable MMOG from the established franchises (Diablo is too close in similarity to Warcraft; this offers more difference.)

Having said that, I would still expect the confirmation of SC2 over the announcement of the SC MMOG. I fully believe the SC MMOG to be in progress right now, but even with Blizzard's terrible development length, the MMOG announcement would be following on the heels of the first WoW expansion.
/yell Blizzard Plese make rogues more worthwhile in raids. KTHXBYE!
Noting time will tell,
Ray

-----
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

30. RTS May 5, 2007, 21:03 Decoy

Does nobody want to see a traditional sequel? Seems like everyone /wants/ a MMORPG/RTS/FPS hybrid.

29. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 20:55 manic half

I knew it! I've had this in my mind the moment I heard they would possibly be announcing a starcraft related product. Ghost got cancelled yet it gave them some ideas and experience in a Starcraft universe up close and personal. I figure they cancelled it so they could take it to awhole new level. Making a Starcraft 2 would be hard. I also don't see why they would when they are about to release a big Starcraft 1 patch in a week or so. But I've always imagined how cool this could be. More realistic graphics than WoW, finding crazy guns as gears and cool biosuits or something. Could be real cool stuff if done right. WoW was done right, I don't see how they could take any chances and not make this one right. Sucks though, I wanted SC2!

yes of course, you knew it while the rest of us were in the dark and didnt possibly think of this happening for a second! *cough*

28. Re: No subject May 5, 2007, 20:37 Lorcin

The swift kick is called Age of Conan

Erm yeah - Age of Conan. By the makers of Anarchy Online. I would really hold off until some indepentdent reviews of it start appearing before declaring it the next messiah.

Vegetarian Logic: We'll save animals by eating their food

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo