Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Van Buren (Ex-Fallout 3) Tech Demo

No Mutants Allowed now offers downloads of the tech demo for Van Buren, Black Isle's long-cancelled project that was once intended to be Fallout 3 (thanks TacticularCancer and Duck and Cover). The tech demo is accompanied by warnings about the barebones installation, that several aspects of gameplay (like combat) in the pre-alpha code are not fully implemented, that it does not offer a great deal of gameplay (though there are multiple paths to victory), and that "in true Fallout style, the demo is very, very buggy."

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. No subject May 8, 2007, 12:26 dryden555

Its a shame gothic 3 was a buggy mess -- that could have sated folks like us for awhile. Everything being called "rpg" by game-makers right now is either a brain-numbing MMORPG or a console actiony RPG. Bleh. Hopefully things will improve for PC RPG's in a few years.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: No subject May 7, 2007, 17:29 Slink

Some of us 'elitist gaming snobs' are tired of being sold dumbed-downed streamlined crap shoveled into out mouths like it's the second coming, when it's really mediocre crap that we already played over a decade ago dressed up in a new shiny set of clothes.

Dumb-assed uninformed, uneducated knee-jacked little pissants like you that are too young to know better telling us what a good game is doesn't go over too well.

But, if you enjoyed Oblivion because you don't know any better, or you just liked it because you thought it was fun, then that's fine. Some of us expect more. Maybe I'm old and you're just stupid, but I want more.

You might be willing to settle for kids bits because you don't know any better, but some of us don't and won't. That's why we bitch and you can't.

Holy crap... you're like the Comic Book Guy of computer games.

You may be older than him (and that's yet to be proven), but your immaturity makes him a lot better than you. You're the reason companies are going to consoles more than PCs, because if not, they get a shitload of people like you who think they're better than the average person because they've been playing games all their lives. Grow up, get a life, and get some sun...

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

48. Re: No subject May 4, 2007, 13:02 Jerykk

Jerryk: You're more of a troll than I am. Name a few games from one or two PC generations ago and I'll get into them. Or try to.

I'm more of a troll than you? Last time I checked, telling people to shut their pieholes when they keep whining about games they knowing nothing about isn't trolling. It's common sense. And what exactly is a PC generation? Unlike consoles, PCs are constantly being upgraded so I'm not sure generations even apply.

47. Re: No subject May 4, 2007, 08:58 Bill Nakano

Gothic 1 + 2 - buggy and with odd controls but genius.

Gothic 3 - more bad than good I think.

Anyway. I tried the Van Buren tech demo for about 5 minutes. Didn't like the realtime combat and it kept crashing so I've filed it under curiosity and left it at that. The good thing about the old Fallouts was the humour IMO, and that's going to be the easiest thing to put back in if Beth's FO is as moddable as Oblivion.

46. Re: No subject May 4, 2007, 02:42 CreamyBlood

VT: I apologize for calling you names. Like you said, we're just talking about games. In the end, it doesn't really matter.

Creston: Could you please list some of those games you're talking about as I'm just about to finish KoTR and need a new one. I'm pretty close to finishing off all the 'accepted' golden ones. Somebody just gave me the Collectors Edition of Dungeon Lords but from the bashing it recieved here I doubt I'll install it. Should I?

Jerryk: You're more of a troll than I am. Name a few games from one or two PC generations ago and I'll get into them. Or try to.

45. Re: No subject May 4, 2007, 01:53 Jerykk

The publisher funds the money and is ultimately responsible for the quality of the product so I reject your argument.

Developers are ultimately responsible for the quality of the product. It's convenient to place all the blame on the publishers but they aren't the ones actually making the design choices, levels, sound effects, music, textures, models, animations, etc.

Polish? That's another matter. If a game is released in a very buggy state, it's probably because the publisher didn't provide enough time for testing. But even then, developers are still partially responsible. First of all, the skill of the programmers plays a large role in how clean and efficient the coding is. In addition, developers often take on large, ambitious projects without really considering budgets and deadlines. When they sign up to make a game, they agree to have the game finished by a certain date. The publisher isn't obligated to delay the game beyond the contractual deadlines.

So you can reject my argument all you want. You can also bash Fallout 3 without knowing anything about it. Or you can wait until something about the game has been revealed and then form an opinion based on that.

This comment was edited on May 4, 01:55.

44. Re: No subject May 4, 2007, 01:34 Sepharo

Well said VT but as Dagok pointed out, Creamy is going quite beyond being a snob and just acting like an asshole.

I just wish your post #42 was your first post because being a "snob" as you put it in your first post can honestly be justified sometimes. Obviously there are tons of people who love Oblivion but I still think it deserves the squandered-potential treatment it receives from a lot of us "snobs" at Bluesnews.

And that being said I really really hope Bethesda proves me wrong and Fallout 3 is amazing because after Oblivion I really don't have much optimism.

43. Re: No subject May 4, 2007, 00:52 Overon

Jeryk:
Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth was developed by Headfirst Productions. Published by Bethesda. Star Trek: Tactical Assault was developed by Quicksilver Software. Published by Bethesda. Star Trek: Legacy was developed by Mad Doc Software. Published by Bethesda. Pirates of the Caribbean? Developed by 7 Studios. Published by Bethesda.
The publisher funds the money and is ultimately responsible for the quality of the product so I reject your argument.

42. Re: No subject May 3, 2007, 19:24 VT Hoodlum

CreamyBlood, you are EXACTLY what I was talking about. You look down on people for liking different games than you. You acted like I personally insulted you when I said I enjoyed Oblivion. You called me and everyone else who liked it "mindless idiots stumbling around the planet," and that I must be some stupid, immature kid that doesn't know any better. CreamyBlood, FUCK YOU.

I'm only 25, but I've been gaming at least since I was 5 years old. I own Fallout 1 and 2. I own System Shock 2. Those are 3 of my favorite games right there. I played through and beat Wasteland. I love fucking Wing Commander, Ultima, and Monkey Island. While I've owned consoles, I always come back to PC gaming because that's usually where I can find the kinds of games I like. But you know what? I don't fucking think I'm BETTER than people that do mostly play console games.

You probably like some games I don't, and that's fine. I'm not going to sit here and call you names because the entertainment you like is slightly different from the entertainment I like. At the end of the day, remember, this is supposed to be entertainment, not the fuel for some holy war you seem intent on carrying out.

41. Re: No subject May 3, 2007, 18:53 Creston

Games these days outright fucking suck next to the golden girls like Fallout;

Really? I could have sworn I've played some really awesome fucking games lately. In fact, I could have sworn that in most genres, the games that have been released in the last few years are all considered to be "the best ever". While that's partially the sign of the times, it's also partially because these games are really, really good.

Now, there hasn't really BEEN a game like Fallout since Fallout itself, so it's kind of hard to get a good spiritual successor to it. But the idea that Fallout is some kind of Golden God compared to every other game it rather exaggerated, don't you think?

it is destroying PC gaming.

I think Oblivion's success is showing developers that the PC is a viable market and can sustain a good title. YOU didn't like Oblivion, that's fine. There's parts of it I really don't like, and parts of it I think are really fucking cool. And since all the parts I don't like have long since been modded into Oblivion (hahahaha *badum psssshhh* I'm here all week!), I think it's a great game.

Seeing as how it sold millions upon millions of copies, perhaps, just perhaps, "PC Gaming" doesn't really agree with what YOU think it should be?

*Gasp* Incredible, I know. What's next, people might not agree with your political views either?

In any case, what is this demo actually for? For the dead Fallout 3? Or for Bethesda's version of Fallout? If it's for the dead Fallout 3, I really fail to see what the point is in releasing it. So you can fondly remember the other Fallouts and curse heavily that you'll never get to play the real successor?

Btw, yes, Bethesda's games are hideously buggy, but at least we're not talking Derek Smark Doing Freespace 3 here. Bethesda HAS made some pretty decent games. Let's not set fire to their building for "ruining" Fallout 3 before anything is even revealed.

Creston

40. Re: No subject May 3, 2007, 14:19 Krovven

He isn't an elitist snob, just immature. As was VT with how he phrased his comments.

Most games these days I find just lack style. Too many developers going for the realistic approach to their graphics, or are just emulating what others have done before them in the same genre.

Baldur's Gate for the win. Arcanum was awesome too...but unfortunately rather buggy, never did finish it.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Titan Quest-Immortal Throne & Day of Defeat Source.

39. Re: No subject May 3, 2007, 13:58 jam777

what, only 10 years to qualify as an elitist snob? Some of us used to play police quest whilst coding lotus 123 scripts on our beefy 8MHz 286 and that was 20 years ago ....

(then of course we would go home and play on our brand spanking new amiga a500)

my god am I feeling old now.

(fallout forever btw)

Cool! I'm in!

38. Re: No subject May 3, 2007, 11:50 Sarzy

if you like the game because it has nintey gazillian fucktard points on some lame assed site that thinks that the mindless idiots stumbling around this planet...

CreamyBlood, you are missing the point. I'm not arguing about whether or not Oblivion is a good or bad game (in fact I've never played it). I'm arguing about whether or not you are an elitist snob, and your most recent comments have proved yet again that this is case (and pretty conclusively, too).

37. No subject May 3, 2007, 11:40 Sepharo

Some guys are like my 3rd roomate when roomate 2 and me get into a discussion: Constantly interupting screaming "Does it really matter?!?!" ... No! No it doesn't matter. But some people just like debating

36. Re: No subject May 3, 2007, 10:00 nin

but they taste to good!

The immature retards, the girls, or the boogers?

-----------------------------------------------------
Listen, now: http://yearzero.nin-thespiral.com/FLJoi4gjw2f/player.html

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

35. Re: No subject May 3, 2007, 09:56 DrEvil

but they taste so good!

This comment was edited on May 3, 09:59.

34. No subject May 3, 2007, 09:22 ^mortis^

jesus, this board is full of some ridiculously immature retards.

grow the hell up and stop whining about computer games.
THIS is why the girls avoid your stares...well, and the whole eating-your-boogers thing.

33. Re: No subject May 3, 2007, 08:34 Armengar

what, only 10 years to qualify as an elitist snob? Some of us used to play police quest whilst coding lotus 123 scripts on our beefy 8MHz 286 and that was 20 years ago ....

(then of course we would go home and play on our brand spanking new amiga a500)

my god am I feeling old now.

(fallout forever btw)

This comment was edited on May 3, 08:34.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

32. Re: No subject May 3, 2007, 04:35 Jerykk

Not yet. I can't be stoked about a game I know nothing about. Hopefully the teaser trailer will let me know.

31. Re: No subject May 3, 2007, 04:25 CreamyBlood

Of course not Jerryk, it's the best fromage since swiss cheese. I'm sure it'll just be fine. We'll all be pleasantly suprised.

After all, the guys that produced Oblivion are making it. I'm stoked. Are you?

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo