Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Lord of the Rings Online

Turbine and Midway Games announce that The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar is now online, offering more that a Tolkien chance to feed your gaming hobbit:

WESTWOOD, MA and CHICAGO, IL - April 24, 2007 – Turbine, Inc. and Midway Games Inc. (NYSE: MWY) announced today that The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™ is now available for purchase across North America. The game is the first and only massively-multiplayer online game based on the Books of J.R.R. Tolkien. In development for over four years, the game opens up the mystical world of Middle-earth and creates the opportunity for endless adventure.

Legions of fans have been waiting in great anticipation for the opportunity to start their adventure in Middle-earth and as of today, the wait is over! The Lord of the Rings Online delivers an interactive experience brimming with life and filled with the familiar people, places and monsters from the most beloved fantasy adventure of all time. From the quaint surroundings of the Shire to Angmar, the vile kingdom of the Witch-king, players will experience the world of Middle-earth as never before.

"The release of The Lord of the Rings Online marks a momentous occasion for MMO gamers and Tolkien fans around the world," said Jeff Anderson, president and CEO of Turbine, Inc. "Countless adventures await gamers eager to experience Middle-earth in an entirely new way and we're confident that once they’ve visited this epic world, they'll never want to leave."

"The Lord of the Rings franchise, with its incredibly rich history and extensive fan base, lends itself perfectly to the MMO genre," said Steve Allison, chief marketing officer, Midway. "We're thrilled to be able to partner with Turbine to bring The Lord of the Rings Online to North American gamers looking for a way to experience the world of Middle-earth like never before."

Turbine also announced today the first update to The Lord of the Rings Online. This free update, called the Shores of Evendim, is scheduled to be released this coming June and will include an entirely new landscape region, over 60 additional quests, the Battle for Helegrod raid, nine new monsters and major enhancements to monster play and the music system.

The Lord of the Rings Online is now available for purchase at major retailers in both a Special and Standard Edition. The Special Edition of The Lord of the Rings Online includes the game on a single DVD, 30-days of free play, the official 'Making of The Lord of the Rings Online' DVD, the official game soundtrack and an exclusive in-game item. The Special Edition retails for a U.S. MSRP of $59.99, while the Standard Edition of the game is available for a U.S. MSRP of $49.99.

For more information about The Lord of the Rings Online, please visit www.lotro.com

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: JRR Tolkien Hates You All Apr 26, 2007, 18:40 Slink

Hey look, another fantasy MMORPG. /yawn

I can't wait for some of these other games just so we can get some other genres as MMOs - one of the main reasons I'm playing City of Heroes/Villians right now. Can't wait for Tabula Rasa...

WoW: Darsius (Earthen Ring) / GW: Denarr Trueblade / BF2: Slinky317 / CoH: Spectris (Justice)

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: JRR Tolkien Hates You All Apr 26, 2007, 01:19 Happyclam

Hmm. Tolkien didn't invent much of anything as his work is a pastiche of European folklore. Even this in a traditional fantasy setting was done by people like Lord Dunsany long before Tolkien. Not knocking Tolkien for tying it all together though. Never really got into Tolkien. Preferred John Norman's Gor.

Hm, just a correction here. Tolkien actually invented the elven language he used in his novels, then, when he realized he had nothing to do with it, he wrote a series of novels using it.

As far as John Norman's Gor, where do you think he got his ideas? And as far as inspirational reading, Norman goes off the deepend with his depiction of female slavery, even so far as to spawn a following of his writings that roleplay his scenarios. A little Conan, a little Flash Gordon, a lot of Marquis De Sade. Go back far enough and you'll find all your great writers borrowed from someone, either contemporaries or the people before them.

52. Re: Fundamental Apr 25, 2007, 17:57 Zaridin

Lorcin,

Just because I'd hate to have you sailing through life thinking I'm a plant by some schmoozing company, I offer you this:

http://home.comcast.net/~snydeman55/

That's my website I use for my students. Don't worry though, I created it JUST to convince you I'm genuine. =/

There's a lesson in this: Not every person who likes something you do not is an advertising shiv. I'm sure there are things you like that I do not. That's kind of how it works.

A little more trust in humanity might help your day go by a little smoother, but that's really not my place to give advice that isn't asked for, so...sorry.

51. Re: Fundamental Apr 25, 2007, 17:39 Stanly Manly

Stanly Manly, spoken like a true Blizzard lemming, well done sir. of course we all realize you are speaking out of your asshole, but thats ok. LOTRO has more to do in one starting area than WoW does from 1-20, but thats ok if you dont know what the fuck you are talking about, you cant help your an idiot fanboy

Ah, the personal attack. Thanks, I always know I've won a debate at that point =). Good try though.

50. Re: Fundamental Apr 25, 2007, 16:23 Ruffiana

"Pretty graphics and good looks are all LOTRO has going for it. Characters suck, balance is non-existant, gameplay is shoddy. Don't worry, in a few weeks or so, when the "oh ah" factor has worn off from the pretty water reflections, people will see the game for what it really is. For now, take all the 9+ reviews with a very large grain of salt, since one thing that LOTRO does well is give a great review environment in those first few hours."

Stanly Manly, spoken like a true Blizzard lemming, well done sir. of course we all realize you are speaking out of your asshole, but thats ok. LOTRO has more to do in one starting area than WoW does from 1-20, but thats ok if you dont know what the fuck you are talking about, you cant help your an idiot fanboy

You realize you're kind of supporting his arguement right?

And I don't even play WoW, before you call me a Blizzard fanboi

49. Re: JRR Tolkien Hates You All Apr 25, 2007, 16:07 DarkCntry

Hmm. Tolkien didn't invent much of anything as his work is a pastiche of European folklore. Even this in a traditional fantasy setting was done by people like Lord Dunsany long before Tolkien. Not knocking Tolkien for tying it all together though. Never really got into Tolkien. Preferred John Norman's Gor.

You should note that I stated modern fantasy lore. Yes, he derived a lot of his inspiration out of Norse and other mythos, but also note that before Tolkien's work became spread that Dwarves and Elves were labeled Dwarfs and Elfs, note Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

48. Re: JRR Tolkien Hates You All Apr 25, 2007, 08:40 Bill Nakano

Other than Tolkien defined what is used in modern fantasy lore when including Halflings, Elves, and Dwarves? Nothing I guess. WoW, D&D, and pretty much anything in the modern culture of fantasy all have borrowed heavily from Tolkien and his works.

Zosa registered to post on this thread as well and nobody's calling him a shill for Blizzard or Funcom yet, how come?

47. Re: JRR Tolkien Hates You All Apr 25, 2007, 05:41 The Half Elf

Well maybe it's the fact that Tolkiens work is so detailed that the mental image alot of people got from reading The Hobbit or LOTR was very simular.

And I pretty much agree with the negative vibes about the game. Animations, models etc.

But my biggest complaints with the game is that, like in the tutorials you see some of the main characters from the movies/books, and have these nicely scripted events, but it totally looses any sense of realism READING the text over their head or in the chat box. Had these segments had voice overs I think it would help alot. Gandalf vs the Balrog, without Ian's voice just wouldn't have been the same.

My other complaint is that they don't have the movie license only the book license. It would have been alot 'cooler' (for lack of wording) if you could have visited scenes from the movie. Granted I read each book after seeing each movie, and saw the Animated The Hobbit cartoon, but there was nothing overly that drove me to think 'OMG I want to Elf City, or the Shire!' at all.

Overall the game feels very flat and so so.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

46. Re: Fundamental Apr 25, 2007, 05:40 Grounded

"Pretty graphics and good looks are all LOTRO has going for it. Characters suck, balance is non-existant, gameplay is shoddy. Don't worry, in a few weeks or so, when the "oh ah" factor has worn off from the pretty water reflections, people will see the game for what it really is. For now, take all the 9+ reviews with a very large grain of salt, since one thing that LOTRO does well is give a great review environment in those first few hours."

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 05:40.

45. Re: JRR Tolkien Hates You All Apr 25, 2007, 03:31 DarkCntry

So what's the difference between a D&D/WoW elf and Tolkien elf? How about hobbits and halflings?

Other than Tolkien defined what is used in modern fantasy lore when including Halflings, Elves, and Dwarves? Nothing I guess. WoW, D&D, and pretty much anything in the modern culture of fantasy all have borrowed heavily from Tolkien and his works.

44. JRR Tolkien Hates You All Apr 25, 2007, 03:22 Grandmaster Demonlord Toadeater

The Lord of the Rings franchise, with its incredibly rich history and extensive fan base, lends itself perfectly to the MMO genre

So what's the difference between a D&D/WoW elf and Tolkien elf? How about hobbits and halflings?

43. Re: Fundamental Apr 25, 2007, 01:49 DarkCntry

One of the things that really bugged me, and this applies to ALL rpgs...

I decided to make a run as far north as possible, just to see what I could see, and from what I could tell, the environment was populated with basically higher level versions of the same crap I was fighting at lower levels. So instead of level 8 bears, it was level 30 bears or whatever. At one point I was running away from level 37 birds of some kind, but they weren't big birds or anything, they looked to be about the same size as a large crow or something, just apparently able to kill a full grown human. I'm not saying we should look for realism in fantasy worlds...but some things still need to apply. I don't know if this started with Japanese RPGs, with their "killer butterflies" and such, but I just can't get excited about fighting a level 60 Badger.

Necessary evil actually...there's just so much actual content that can be unique without creating a huge sinkhole for space. Believe me, as things progress, they may look the same, but those mobs will do things a whole bunch differently than their weaker brethern.

The other problem I had was that I ran all the way to Rivendell, and besides a couple pretty buildings, there wasn't crap else to do. I think frodo said a couple random things if you clicked on him, like "ooo I hope the gaffer found some topical ointment" or some such, but bilbo or gandalf wouldn't even speak. They just stare off into space.

Sure, you ran all the way to Rivendell, what level were you again? Considering that the bulk of Rivendell has quests for the 39-45 range, it's quite understandable that people under that will find little to actively do.

Beyond that, Rivendell has the splendor to which most people will just sit and stare at, especially jsut looking out over the falls as the sun sets. Sounds corny, but it's just nice to finally get a feel for a place that is supposed to be a sanctuary.

I agree, the waterfalls could do some overhead work, but for the most part I have seen a lot worse from a lot more complex and current-gen games.

42. Re: Fundamental Apr 25, 2007, 00:57 AcidDrone

rufus i suggest you make your own game.

41. Re: Fundamental Apr 24, 2007, 20:20 Lorcin

Yeah maybe my brain is in meltdown - or maybe a single junior person in advertising can create a hell of a lot of good word of mouth using a few well placed comments and reviews.

You only have to look at the huge amount of studio planted film reviews that turn up on so called independent websites to see that the marketing men have caught on to the fact that, a lot of people will pay more attention to what is meant to be an unbiased indepedent reviews rather then notice as their pop blocker stops the latest advert.

And of course it is a fraction of the cost of creating an advert.

Then again I could be totally wrong and the guy could be totally innocent - we'll never know either way.

Oh btw X Files was never my cup of tea.

Vegetarian Logic: We'll save animals by eating their food

40. Re: Fundamental Apr 24, 2007, 18:37 Rufus

One of the things that really bugged me, and this applies to ALL rpgs...

I decided to make a run as far north as possible, just to see what I could see, and from what I could tell, the environment was populated with basically higher level versions of the same crap I was fighting at lower levels. So instead of level 8 bears, it was level 30 bears or whatever. At one point I was running away from level 37 birds of some kind, but they weren't big birds or anything, they looked to be about the same size as a large crow or something, just apparently able to kill a full grown human. I'm not saying we should look for realism in fantasy worlds...but some things still need to apply. I don't know if this started with Japanese RPGs, with their "killer butterflies" and such, but I just can't get excited about fighting a level 60 Badger.

Yeah, yeah, I know first hand that badgers are mean little bastards, but I'd wager there isn't one in this world I couldn't just kick until it stopped breathing, and I don't have the biggest or most powerful arms in the world, but I'm pretty sure I could kill any crow I came across, level 37 or no, with my bare hands, let alone a longsword +5 vs. angry avians or wtf ever.

The other problem I had was that I ran all the way to Rivendell, and besides a couple pretty buildings, there wasn't crap else to do. I think frodo said a couple random things if you clicked on him, like "ooo I hope the gaffer found some topical ointment" or some such, but bilbo or gandalf wouldn't even speak. They just stare off into space.

I dunno, I guess I'm nitpicky. It's a shame because the environments really are beautiful, except the awful waterfalls. They look like something from N64 waveracer. But the rest is beautful...I almost misted up a bit the first time running through the shire.

39. Re: Fundamental Apr 24, 2007, 18:12 Frijoles

I've been in since A2 also, and did end up buying it. I agree with Zoso's points though:

The first was the poor character animations. They have to be the worst I have seen in quite some time. The character models are not to far behind.

Character animation is indeed poorly done, and the character models all look the same. This was a huge disappointment in coming from WoW where the models were very unique.

The next reason was the small world.

Agree with this also. At first I thought the world was _HUGE_, and indeed, after all the expansions, it will be (if they get that far). It's 60% the size of WoW pre-BC. The first size increase will happen in June with expansions coming after that. Since I have yet to see everything (I was a very slow leveler pre-launch), I stuck around. The quality of graphics really make me want to see the rest of the world.

The last reason is the crafting is just a after thought.

I haven't seen enough of crafting to really know how it works in the higher levels. For now, I agree as well. Low-level crafting is a bit useless to me. When you pick a profession, you are set up with three different crafting options. I'd rather pick and choose. My character in WoW has herbalism and mining for the main purpose of making money. That's not possible in LOTRO (not that I've seen anyway).

And yeah, the UI does suck. It's my biggest complaint about LOTRO. I absolutely hate it.

Despite all the negatives, I do enjoy it. The storyline is ever-present. It really pulled me in. And I agree, it is a niche-game and won't kill WoW. I think it'll do well though. Certainly no worse than the other larger MMOs out there (eve, eq2, etc).

It'll keep me busy until TR or AoC comes out.

38. Re: Fundamental Apr 24, 2007, 17:56 Stanly Manly

I hear lots of talk about looks and pretty graphics.. why no comments on characters and balance?(italic)

Simple. Pretty graphics and good looks are all LOTRO has going for it. Characters suck, balance is non-existant, gameplay is shoddy.

Don't worry, in a few weeks or so, when the "oh ah" factor has worn off from the pretty water reflections, people will see the game for what it really is.

For now, take all the 9+ reviews with a very large grain of salt, since one thing that LOTRO does well is give a great review environment in those first few hours.

37. Re: Fundamental Apr 24, 2007, 17:46 Zoso

I have played LOTRO since A2 up until open beta. I stopped playing for a few reasons.

The first was the poor character animations. They have to be the worst I have seen in quite some time. The character models are not to far behind.

The next reason was the small world. The biggest problem I had is it's missing most of Middle Earth. I just can't feel like I'm in Middle Earth without Morder, Gonder, Mirkwood, Mines of Moria, Rohan, Lothlorien, etc...

The last reason is the crafting is just a after thought. Lot's of grinding for little to no reward.

A few other things that bothered me was the UI. You can not scale anything and on higher settings its hard to read the hotkeys for they are so small.

The mouse movement sucks for you have to click the right button first then hold the second to move.

The UI also feels slow like your running through mud. After playing Wow and getting use to how the mouse and key movements respond to your touch it's just painful in LOTRO.

The classes all feel the same. A 36 Hunter is the same as other 36 Hunters other then a few small differences with traits.

I feel the game will do well though not as well as some think on the forums. I liked the game over all but not enough to play and or pull me away from Wow for now. Maybe after a expansion or two if the game is still going and I'm not hooked on another game by then.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 18:17.

36. Re: Fundamental Apr 24, 2007, 17:45 Zaridin

I like the character classes, but honestly I've not played near enough to know how they flesh out over the long term. I know that the deed and trait system will enable you to differentiate yourself from others, but I say that only on the word of Turbine, so take that as it is...their word.

Balance is less an issue in a non-PvP environment, but from the arguments I've seen over which class is better it seems they are fairly well balanced. (Because of all the disagreement over which class is better, etc)

Too early to tell though.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 17:45.

35. Re: Fundamental Apr 24, 2007, 17:36 JeffD

I hear lots of talk about looks and pretty graphics.. why no comments on characters and balance? IMO one of the reasons Guild Wars is able to coexhist as a popular mmorpg with WoW is because its "not" like WoW, and has great character balance wich is what makes its pvp supperior. Also things like easily adjusting ability points allows you to re-tailor your build if you feel your current one is lacking something you want.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo