Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mac Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Plans

Aspyr working on Mac Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars on Macworld (thanks Ant) has word that Aspyr is at work on a Macintosh edition of Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars, the upcoming teamplay shooter in the works at Splash Damage under the watchful eye of id Software. It is not clear at this time if Mac players will be able to interoperate with PC players, nor is a release date specified, so expect further details on all this going forward.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Mac's can play games? Apr 24, 2007, 10:38 DrEvil

Because non windows platforms are too much of an insignificant market share, DirectX has more useful stuff than OpenGL(it's more than graphics), and these days, because DirectX is required for any games that are going to the 360.

Just so happens that iD is one of the few remaining heavy OpenGL users, so it makes sense of them to have linux/mac versions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Mac's can play games? Apr 24, 2007, 09:54 Dante_uk

Funny, I've never had to tweak or configure my Nvidia driver on my Linux machine, plays Doom3 and Quake IV fine. Maybe you were one those unfortunate ones that thought ATI knew how to write a video driver on Linux

I also hate the fact that most developers ignore anything that doesn't have MS stamped on it.

A lot of people are saying the Dx10 is great and so much better than previous version, they are properly right, so why the f**k has everybody been using Dx7/8/9 for so long when they could have used open standards been able to port to Linux & Mac, hell the DoomIII engine made it onto consoles so obviously they have openGL drivers on console too!!

Obviously Valve are x MS employees so no change of them using any open standards or open anything.

id & Epic are the only ones that properly support OpenGL and linux - as two of the best game engines out there surely that proves the technology works!

6. Re: Mac's can play games? Apr 24, 2007, 09:01 Calabi-Yau

BIGtrouble, it is nonsense to blame the Mac's piss-poor 3D gaming potential on anyone but Apple. Apple have ignored gaming for years, and their machines are waaaay too low down on the bang-for-the buck-scale to appeal to 3D-gamers who need all the horsepower they can afford. Further, macs are effectively un-upgradeable, and of course they can't be home-built, or even customised very much.

Intel chips won't save them or make a difference either - Apple doesn't see gamers as a market they want to appeal to, and therefore they won't build computers that appeal. Much easier for them to cream off money from the fashion-led, money-flush adverstising/publishing industry, and its attendant trendy wannabes.

Just so you know - I rediscovered PC gaming about 8 years ago by playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein on an iMac. Unfortunatley for Apple, every single machine I've built or purchased since then has NOT been a mac, for the above mentioned reasons. I usually upgrade some major parts every six months, effectively building a new machine every year or so -- a machine that would outperform (in terms of 3D gaming) any comparably-priced mac by a factor of three of four times.

The iMac's still running, btw, and still good for emails/mp3s.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 13:13.

5. Re: Mac's can play games? Apr 24, 2007, 08:23 MrGrosser

If the game industry standardized on Open standards you would see cutting edge games on macs and in Linux.

Yeah, you sure would, and maybe you could those "cutting edge" games when you're finally done "tweaking" or as I like to call it, configuring your system. For the longest time, I thought Linux was an OS that you just sat and configured drivers forever.

4. Re: Mac's can play games? Apr 24, 2007, 01:24 The Half Elf

Next thing you know Halo's gonna be on the Mac... er wait....

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Mac's can play games? Apr 24, 2007, 01:23 BIGtrouble77

verybad,
That's an absolutely retarted post. (Not many) people play games on Macs because MS monopalized the industry by imposing DirectX on us.

If the game industry standardized on Open standards you would see cutting edge games on macs and in Linux. I don't like the fact that macs hardware is closed (why I don't own one), but it serves a purpose that has worked well for them.

2. Re: Mac's can play games? Apr 24, 2007, 01:01 verybad

Macs are for people that think a computer is a fashion accessory. I've heard of people playing games on Mac's, but I never believed the stories. Usually Macs are bought by people that like to say they're graphic designers "See, here's my webpage and my blog."

1. Mac's can play games? Apr 24, 2007, 00:45 maplebob

I didn't know you could play games on a Mac. I just thought they were big, expensive iPod ports.

Wonder never...

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo