Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Lord of the Rings Online SE Announced

Turbine and Midway announces plans for a Special Edition of The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, revealing the special-ness that will be included in the MMORPG SE. On a related note, a new LotRO video diary is now available on FileFront, Fileshack. and Gamer's Hell, and a new European LotRO TV commercial can be found on The Lord of the Rings Online Website and mirrored on FileFront and Gamer's Hell. Here's word on the special Edition:

WESTWOOD, MA and CHICAGO, IL – April 12, 2007 -- Turbine, Inc. and Midway Games Inc. (NYSE: MWY) today unveiled the Special Edition of The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™. This Special Edition of the highly anticipated massively multiplayer online game provides fans with exclusive items, including the “making of” DVD, a soundtrack of the game, and a special in-game item. The Lord of the Rings Online is scheduled to launch on April 24th in the U.S. and Canada and the Special Edition of the game is now available for pre-order at select retailers nationwide.

“We have experienced unbelievable anticipation and support for The Lord of the Rings Online throughout the development process,” said Jeff Anderson, President and CEO of Turbine Inc. “We knew that the game had to provide a terrific experience to the millions of Tolkien fans and we wanted to enhance that experience even more with this Special Edition.”

“We worked closely with Turbine to create content for the Special Edition that would appeal to even the most dedicated fans of The Lord of the Rings Online,” said Steve Allison, chief marketing officer, Midway. “With the bonus DVD, soundtrack, buddy pass, in-game item and more, we feel we’re providing great value for those that buy the Special Edition.”

The Lord of the Rings Online Special Edition will be available in limited quantities and contains a number of benefits & bonuses priced at just $59.99 MSRP. The Special Edition includes:

· Full Game on 2 DVD’s
    · 30-days of free online play
    · Free 10-day Buddy Key
    · The “Beyond the Shadows. . .The Making of The Lord of the Rings Online” DVD – A collection of videos that show how Turbine brought the Books of J.R.R. Tolkien to life. Hear from the game’s designers and see their work from concept to completion.
    · The Lord of the Rings Online Soundtrack – In-game soundtrack of the Shire, Rivendell, Bree, Thorin’s Hall and Angmar.
    · Exclusive In-Game Item – “The Glass of Aglarel” – Carrying this in-game jewel will increase your Hope to aid you against the effects of Dread brought on by the Witch-king and his minions.
    · A Full Color Special Edition Manual
    · Exclusive map of Middle-earth

Players can pre-order both the Standard and Special Editions of The Lord of the Rings Online at www.lotro.com/preorder or at select retail stores nationwide. Pre-order customers automatically become Founders of The Lord of the Rings Online and are among the first to experience this fantastic online world based on the Books of J.R.R. Tolkien.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: What? Apr 13, 2007, 01:18 PJ

Sorry, Cabezone. I see mostly black & white... not so much gray. If something is unimpressive it's not good. That is not a complementing statement. Meaning it's bad. Again I understand it's just your opinion but it makes no sense to me.

Now some of the other comments concerning the game have merit but do not distract me from the game-play. I've played about a dozen MMOG (probably more but I can't remember them all) and most hold my attention for several months at best. Several weeks is worst case scenario. I'll most likely play LotR for a couple months.

WoW had my attention for twice that during the beta alone. I lost track how many months I have played since launch but since then I have grown tired of it. So LotR Online is just the right distraction at the moment. Hope you find something else.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: What? Apr 12, 2007, 22:16 Zoso

I have been part of LOTRO since A2. The game has come a long way since then and has made many improvements. The world graphics are great but the biggest problem I have is the Character models and animations. They have to be the worst I have seen in quite sometime. If you really want to read up on it there is a few big threads on the subject at the main site.

I also have issues with the UI and mouse control and how sluggish it is. Again if you really want to read up on it you find many posts on these issues.

Other big issues in beta was the classes all being the same. A 35 Hunter is the same as any other 35 Hunter other then a few subtle differences with traits.

The world is to small. I can run from the Shire to Rivendell in about 35 min. The run from Buckleberry to Bree in less then 5 min. If you thought Wow was big then your going to be very disapointed.

Another issue is crafting is pretty much a grind for little reward. I found it to be pretty worthless for I always found quest items that were better before I could make a item of equal or better value.

The last issue that comes up is its a lot like wow. Well you will get many different answers on the forums. I myself have called it Wow light which I feel is not a bad thing but to many that is blasphemy. All I can say is give it a try its open beta right now.

I for one will not buy the game on release and will wait for most of Middle Earth to get filled in. I want to play in Middle Earth not a small part of it.

I hope by then they improve the Character models and animations which is my biggest issue.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 22:24.

23. Re: What? Apr 12, 2007, 21:54 Cabezone

It always amazes me how fanboys will blow shit way out of proportion. I mentioned that the graphics are unimpressive, and they are from a technical standpoint, and all of the sudden I hate the game because the graphics are medicocre. I never once said they looked bad.

I will grant you that the art style is pleasant enough looking but that is not the same thing as having modern detailed graphics. I'm not sure if anything in the game has any kind of bump mapping at all, not the old kind or the more modern techniques. Everything has a very flat look to it.

I accept that it looks better than any of the other MMORPGs, but that isn't saying anything. By and large MMORPG look like crap and are way behind the times from a technical standpoint.

That being said having an advanced engine is no garauntee of a good looking game. The EQ2 fanboys were slobbering all over the graphics in it but to me it always looked terrible, I much preferred to look of WoW.

"You faked cancer to get high?"

-Cameron

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

22. Re: What? Apr 12, 2007, 20:42 PJ

That is what is so baffling about human perception. If he truly played the game (and it sounds unlikely) then his perception was so screwed up it is as if he was playing something entirely different. Or smoking a crack-pipe and playing in an altered state. MindTripper that is not Cabezone.

When I hear complaints about graphics in any of the newer games it baffles me. Yes, to a degree opinion or your likes and dislikes play a part but saying LotR has bad graphics is like saying the sky is green and I am walking on it. At least from where I am sitting it just doesn't make any sense.

If you are running a top of the line card (8800 GTX) and have it max'd... even in the first betas this game blows-away the graphics in any other MMOG before it... again opinions can differ.

I took some amazing screenshots about four months ago and I only have a 7900 GT running the game on mostly high settings.

Maybe the 8800 drivers are screwed? I know there are numerous complaints about that card and the driver support or lack there of. I always skip a generation so I wouldn't know.

Either way I guess there is no pleasing everyone. But if you're put off by the graphics of a game you're not playing the game the game is playing you. Eye candy is just a small part of it for me.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 20:49.

21. Re: What? Apr 12, 2007, 20:30 The Half Elf

Dude I can play 'Wartrash' on my freaking ti4400 (the 6800 had to be sent off and this is my backup vid card). I don't think it's your video card that the problem it's the rest of your system.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

20. Re: What? Apr 12, 2007, 20:13 AnarKane

I vote the former of those two, Dark.

Hell, it looks and runs great even on my Radeon 9250. Lot better than some that came out before it, like EQ2 and yes, even World of Wartrash.

"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

19. Re: What? Apr 12, 2007, 19:43 DarkCntry

The first combat I saw in LOTRO was "kill 8 wolves" or some shit. What a joke. Do game companies actually think this is still ok?? The world itself looked nice, but the characters look like garbage and the animations are even worse. The HUD looked like a cheap knock-off of WoW. What the hell is the deal with having to PORT into buildings? Nice game engine. The quests I did were about as compelling as watching paint dry. The storied the NPCs were telling sucked so bad I had trouble even reading them through. "Blah blah blah blah. Kill 8 wolves"

Yea, first combat you saw was to kill 8 wolves...well if that were true, you sure as hell weren't playing LOTRO.

LOTRO's first combat is; as a Man inside a prison making a jail break right after you create them; as a Dwarf making a run to Silver Deep to fight various things including watching an in-game event of Gimli fighting a Troll; as an Elf, you're fighting various invaders and a rather large troll until Elrond arrives to 'save the day', and as a Hobbit, you're making your way through various spiders on your way to Archet, running into a Black Rider along the way. Each and EVERY one of these intros are part of an evolving story as you go through them, none of which require you to randomly kill something in sight. Sure, when you get to the newbie area and into the more open part of the world, sure there are side-quests to kill x number of such and such, but they are a means to an end to continue to main storyline of the Epic quests.

Sorry to say, my friend, either you're playing the wrong game or just trying to troll out how "bad" LOTRO is.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 19:43.

18. Re: What? Apr 12, 2007, 19:22 MindTrigger

I was really hoping this game would be decent. It sucks balls. I played it for about 4 hours, and as each hour passed I found my mind wondering on to other subjects more and more until I was so bored I left the game. My next move was to uninstall the turd.

Anyone who has played Guild Wars before will tell you how cool it is to be whisked away into an important quest right from the beginning of the game. I ended up not liking the lack of social features in Guild Wars (and WoW), but it had compelling content at least.

The first combat I saw in LOTRO was "kill 8 wolves" or some shit. What a joke. Do game companies actually think this is still ok?? The world itself looked nice, but the characters look like garbage and the animations are even worse. The HUD looked like a cheap knock-off of WoW. What the hell is the deal with having to PORT into buildings? Nice game engine. The quests I did were about as compelling as watching paint dry. The storied the NPCs were telling sucked so bad I had trouble even reading them through. "Blah blah blah blah. Kill 8 wolves"

I'm going to sit back and see how Conan turns out this fall. I don't hold out much hope for it though.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 19:31.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

17. Re: What? Apr 12, 2007, 18:55 Cutedge

High res textures make this game look miles better. If you have the preorder disc, they're on there.

16. Re: What? Apr 12, 2007, 18:31 Cabezone

8800GTX, what video card do you suggest I upgrade to? SLI?

The beta client had weak medium res textures. It didn't have much of any bump, parralax, normal mapping or any of the normal things that give textures some depth. Everything was flat looking.

I'm redownloading it with the high res client and I'll see if they've done any work in that area.

-Cameron

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

15. Re: It's Damn Good Apr 12, 2007, 18:19 Acleacius

Your joking right, wow looks good? For what a cartoon?
I mean come on wow has maybe the worst graphics of any 2002 + mmog and some pre 2002.

LotR maybe great looking, I havent seen or played it but clearly wow is not even in the ranking, unless of course you mean cartoon graphics.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succesion of violent images.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

14. What? Apr 12, 2007, 18:12 PJ

"For anybody in this beta, did they ever release the high end graphics client to testers? When I tried it out it only had the medium client and it wasn't very impressive."

We must be playing a different game (or your video card needs a replacement). I got in on Beta 2 and even on the low res textures it looked better than pretty much any other MMOG on the store shelves.

Not sure what texture this Open Beta has but it looks even better than before. I have the pre-order disc too. Maybe I should reinstall to see if it has the high-res texture on it.

Either way get a new video card or maybe just an eye exam if you haven't had one in the last year.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 18:13.

13. No subject Apr 12, 2007, 16:21 PropheT

It's good.

It's a WoW clone as much as WoW is a clone of the MMO's that came before it... calling it a simple WoW clone is like calling Half-Life a Doom clone.

It offers some new ideas and systems that really add to the genre in a good way; the deed system gives rewards for exploration and adventuring rather than the primary reward for playing just being to level and gear up. It's simple, but to me it really adds a new facet to the MMO genre that makes the "grind" of this kind of game seem more appealing.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 16:22.

12. No subject Apr 12, 2007, 15:37 Cabezone

DELETED, Double post
This comment was edited on Apr 12, 15:37.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

11. No subject Apr 12, 2007, 15:36 Cabezone

For anybody in this beta, did they ever release the high end graphics client to testers? When I tried it out it only had the medium client and it wasn't very impressive.

NM, aparantly only on the preorder disks

-Cameron

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 15:40.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

10. Re: No subject Apr 12, 2007, 15:36 Toebot

I'd say it's a strong WoW wannabe, looks good, plays good, cheaper. As IP's go, I've never cared for the Warcraft universe and WoW hasn't changed that. LoTRO has the best IP in all the history of fantasy, plus you get an original storyline set in the Tolkien universe. I'd say it can't miss.

9. It's Damn Good Apr 12, 2007, 14:29 PJ

For all you graphic-whores out there. This is the best looking MMOG so far in my opinion. Yes, WoW looks good but this looks great.

It will most likely be a distant #2 in the market. But WoW will not stay king forever. Even the mighty must fall.

I got through the Burning Portal only to find it more of the same but with much better drops.

I'll enjoy LotR for as long as I can but I am not expecting too much. It's a fun game and it's different enough from WoW to be entertaining... that is all that matters.

8. Re: No subject Apr 12, 2007, 13:33 DarkCntry

Actually, LOTRO goes retail on the 24th.

As for it being LOTR WoW, well sure, if you consider WoW to be UO/EQ/Merdian/etc WoW. WoW did nothing but bring the good aspects and widen the appeal of MMOs to players not accustomed to playing them. LOTRO does the same with a different group of people.

As far as I am concerned, in the world of MMOs, LOTRO has been the most polished and functional one through-out beta. Has also been one of the most entertaining to me, and I contend that it will have a stable community.

Sure, it will not appeal to everyone (Hardcore MMOers, PvPers) and they may find it less than stellar, but to the casual player, the one who doesn't mind taking the time to look around once and a while, and the ones who want to take a more story-centric will probably find this a pretty entertaining title.

Also, yes, you do run into major characters, as your role is parallel to that of the Fellowship. Your character, through the Intro part of the game, is thrust into more dire issues and thus run into various key players through the course, these characters then herald you into the bigger story which involves the likes of Gandalf and Aragorn/Strider. It's not that you are affecting and/or following the Fellowship, but you are taking separate adventures that parallel the course the Fellowship does take, so you do occasionally run into them, but it's not as jarring as you may think.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 13:47.

7. Re: No subject Apr 12, 2007, 13:10 TorTorden

This is definetely tempting more than wow, but that doesn't take much, and quite honestly I got the same feeling of bored disgust from playing stalker as I did testing the wow trial, wow made me want to find a cliff and jump off of it, while stalker gave me the urge to make a run for the closest anomaly. (Guess stalker just wasn't for me)

anywho, back on track, the above posted manual, seems to be a abit of a rough draft, although that is to be expected considering, it's still at least a few months for this game to go public, Well it honestly comes down to the fact that I would much rather run around middle earth than go jumping about in azeroth,,, but if I ever meet, or hear about the main characters from the novel's I'm canceling my account, seriously..

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

6. Re: No subject Apr 12, 2007, 13:09 Soylent Bob

Be prepared for WAR to be received exactly the same way, but probably even less polisth than LoTRO.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo