Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Science Article (Wired) Apr 4, 2007, 23:41 maplebob

Who freaking cares, Wired? Every single time: crapola!

I noticed Wired about ten years ago, I forget how I got there, but yeah, totally vapid and pointless. No idea how that mag stays in business.

I clicked on the link when I read the other reply and didn't even notice it was Wired. I just thought it was blogspot type blog.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Global Warming video Apr 4, 2007, 19:58 xXBatmanXx

I have been sent this video a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XttV2C6B8pU

Fixed the link for you.

I Am Trying to Believe - April 17th, 2007

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

22. Re: Global Warming video Apr 4, 2007, 19:07 The Truth

Interesting, I dropped www.bluesnews.com into google by mistake and the second result was this:

http://www.bluesnews.com/abrash/

Didnt even know it existed!

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

21. Global Warming video Apr 4, 2007, 18:10 Enahs

I have been sent this video a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XttV2C6B8pU
Apparently it was shown in England sometime somwhere? Who what is/did it?

I have not really watched it. I am mostly amazed that everybody keeps calling it a "short video" about global warming...its 75 fin minutes long. Well, at least according to the time bar thingie, as I said...I did not watch it all. F the global warming debate, how are people calling this a short video? That is the real question.

*edit* changed the link to the one Batman gave me...old one might have been to wide for some screens?

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 20:57.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

20. Re: Science Article (Wired) Apr 4, 2007, 17:53 MyRealName

Is that article really about science? He seems to be just lamenting the fact that there are no great methods for correcting eye sight.
Wired is really something else. I used to click the links because they sounded interesting, until the content consistently (read: every time) turned me off. Then, I started clicking the links for the opposite reason: to confirm the consistently crappy nature of the webzine. And it never disappoints. It is every single time, rambling, pointless, go-nowhere, crap. I thought this was going to be a heartwarming article about a guy who was legally blind, and his experience with some breakthrough technology giving him flawed, but restored vision. Instead, it is just this guy doing exactly what you said above.

Who freaking cares, Wired? Every single time: crapola!

19. Re: Your forgiven Blue! Apr 4, 2007, 17:21 Enahs

I've started replacing my lights as well when they burn out. Unfortunately, the color difference was a bit of a surprise (I didn't think it'd be so noticeable).

Yeah, at first they can be awkward. But now you can easily find 3 different styles that have different "colors". Not to sound to much like a girl, but some look a lot better in certain rooms then others.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):

- W. C. Fields

18. Re: Your forgiven Blue! Apr 4, 2007, 17:01 Frijoles

I've started replacing my lights as well when they burn out. Unfortunately, the color difference was a bit of a surprise (I didn't think it'd be so noticeable). Since replacing them, I've gotten used to the color, so I don't mind now. We do have one ceiling light that is shaped strangely and the CFL wouldn't fit since the long part wasn't quite long enough to screw in. I ripped the whole light down, so problem solved.

Now I need to figure out where to recycle them.

17. Re: Your forgiven Blue! Apr 4, 2007, 16:57 Warhawk

Try building a house in California - there are a lot of lighting requirements for kitchen, laundry, garage areas, etc.

Go here to look at all the lighting requirements:

http://cltc.ucdavis.edu/title-24-residential-lighting-design-guide-files

From the design guide:

The California Energy Commission (CEC) has
adopted new residential energy standards:
2005 Building Energy Efficiency Standards for
Residential and Nonresidential Buildings. These
updates to the Title 24 energy code include
comprehensive changes to residential lighting
for new and remodeled homes obtaining
permits. These standards will signifi cantly
reduce lighting energy consumption by
requiring the use of new energy-efficient
technologies.

50% of the kitchen’s permanently installed lighting
MUST be high efficacy, typically fluorescent; this can
include downlights, under-cabinets, over-cabinets,
pendants, wall sconces, etc.

Switching should be designed so the homeowner can
automatically turn off 50% of the lighting power, yet
retain illumination throughout the entire kitchen, with
no overly dark areas.

Fluorescent and incandescent light
fixtures MUST be controlled separately,
while different types of light fixtures
may also be controlled separately to
correspond with the use.

And they go on and on about bathrooms, attics, outdoor lighting, etc.

http://house-update.blogspot.com/

Last update: Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

16. Re: Your forgiven Blue! Apr 4, 2007, 16:02 Enahs

Yeah, I got a Hampton Bay ceiling fan the other day. It uses some hard to find off type of light. Stupid thing. They did not even have that type of fan at Home Depot, I had to go to Lowes to get it! And the other fan I bought for the other room uses those spot halogen lights.

But I use the CFL's in the bathroom and, laundry room and kitchen task lighting.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 16:17.

- W. C. Fields

15. Re: Your forgiven Blue! Apr 4, 2007, 15:51 wasp

"I just don't get why LED lights aren't dirt cheap yet. It would be great if we could just leap-frog the whole CFL thing and use LEDs by now, as they use even less energy and don't qualify as hazardous waste like CFLs do."

Being in the LED industry i agree. As for the price, there is not nearly enough LED manufacturers. LED has to compete in a market that has a 130 year old head start. Government intervention is necessary to kick start the whole paradigm shift. It's actually starting to happen (e.g. Australia).
To tech-savvy people like us, the future just can't happen fast enough :-)

shameless plug: www.eastcanada.ca

14. Re: Your forgiven Blue! Apr 4, 2007, 15:46 The Truth

I picked my lights up at Wal Mart (I try and avoid the place like the plague, but after reading about how they were pushing them I figured they should have a decent selection).

Im going to go back to Home Depot tonight and check to see whether they have CFL's in the size I need, and then probably head over to Lowes.

Ive seen some LED lights online, but again too expensive to justify the additional expense.

Anyone know what would happen if I put a non dimming CFL into a dimmible socket and dimmed it? Im pretty sure it wont blow up, but just curious.

------

13. Re: Your forgiven Blue! Apr 4, 2007, 15:38 Zathrus

it takes about a half-second to turn on when I flip the switch

Pretty normal, it has to warm the ballast up, etc. just like normal fluorescent lighting. I don't know exactly why this is, and I'm Googled out.

I'd replace more of my lights with CFL, but the lights I use 95% of the time are either dimmable or 3-way, both of which are not readily available.

I haven't had any issues finding 3-ways -- IME, Lowe's has the best selection (better than Home Depot at least). Forget both of their online sites though.

Dimmable remains an issue.

I just don't get why LED lights aren't dirt cheap yet.

Because they're really, really expensive per lumen to manufacture. And their color rendering stinks (it's vastly worse than CFL, which people still complain about).

They're not expected to overcome these issues until at least 2010, which means that you probably won't really see them until 2015 or later. So buy CFL now, and SSL will be ready right about when the CFLs are dying.

12. Re: Your forgiven Blue! Apr 4, 2007, 15:21 banddirector

As for the intermediary screw size, its literally that, about a 1/2inch screw

There's actually another one too, but you rarely see them anymore. I "inherited" an old floor lamp from my folks and it has a 3 way "mogul base" bulb. It's similar to a regular bulb, but the thing looks like a light bulb on steroids - - it's freakin' huge! The replacement bulbs are getting harder and harder to find. I might put the thing up on ebay as an antique and see what it'll fetch ...

-----------------------------------
Is Vista just Windows XP Service Pack 3 with eye candy?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

11. Re: Your forgiven Blue! Apr 4, 2007, 15:12 Jim

On an unrelated note, I just replaced my 6 kitchen can lights with flourescent bulbs, for just under $30 total.

Interestingly to buy ones that used 1watt less would have cost me double.

There not that bad, take about 30ish secs to warm up to full light levels, but thats a minor price to pay for the savings. Plus they also produce more light than the previous bulbs!

Win win so far! Next up I have to find small bulbs for all my ceiling fan lights, they have an odd intermediary screw size which im guessing im probably going to have to find online.]

A few months back I replaced my kitchen over-the-sink light with a CFL. Seems brighter than the one it replaced, and it does take about a minute to warm up. Strager though is it takes about a half-second to turn on when I flip the switch.

I'd replace more of my lights with CFL, but the lights I use 95% of the time are either dimmable or 3-way, both of which are not readily available. I was going to order online but couldn't find any that were reasonably priced, not to mention shipping costs.

I just don't get why LED lights aren't dirt cheap yet. It would be great if we could just leap-frog the whole CFL thing and use LEDs by now, as they use even less energy and don't qualify as hazardous waste like CFLs do.

Jim

10. Re: No subject Apr 4, 2007, 14:40 Cutter

Yeah, because we all know teachers take no abuse whatsoever. Please.

"No no no, I went the other road. Six figures, doing business with leadpipe cruelty, mercenery sensibility. You know... sports, sex, no real relationships. How about you - how have the years been treating you?"
- Martin Q. Blank

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Your forgiven Blue! Apr 4, 2007, 14:30 The Truth

And wow, that Grainger site needs help...

lots of help.

As for the intermediary screw size, its literally that, about a 1/2inch screw. The fans are Hampton Bay (From Home Depot). Not something I even thought about when we brought them, but its proving a touch annoying. I'll have a proper hunt around in a few days and see what I can come up with, but as they are some of the most used lights in the house, they are definatly going to get replaced.

As for the dimmable ones, the bulbs i got for the kitchen are dimmable, but I have no dimmer switch! And of course the fans are all dimmable, so im guessing they are going to cost more than normal, esp with the odd sized screws.

------

8. Re: No subject Apr 4, 2007, 14:26 mag

And this is just more evidence at how absurdly powerful the teachers union is in the US. If you really researched it, you'd be amazed at what kind of rules they enforce each year (such as one rule that states that children's books that contain pictures of elderly people, they cannot look elderly. Even though kids see senior citizens every day,) and what absurdity they get away with every year.

Yes. Because Toronto is part of the US.

7. Re: No subject Apr 4, 2007, 14:12 Fion

And this is just more evidence at how absurdly powerful the teachers union is in the US. If you really researched it, you'd be amazed at what kind of rules they enforce each year (such as one rule that states that children's books that contain pictures of elderly people, they cannot look elderly. Even though kids see senior citizens every day,) and what absurdity they get away with every year.

6. Science Article (Wired) Apr 4, 2007, 14:11 MorningStar

Is that article really about science? He seems to be just lamenting the fact that there are no great methods for correcting eye sight.

5. No subject Apr 4, 2007, 13:49 xXBatmanXx

Teacher who threw feces at boy may keep job.

Kids these days - can't handle a little feces treatment.

It sounds as though the principal was a victim turned suspect.

I Am Trying to Believe - April 17th, 2007

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo