Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fatal1ty Q&A

Gaming for Dollars: The Fatal1ty Q&A talks with pro gamer Johnathan 'Fatal1ty' Wendel about getting paid to play games: "It takes the same kind of discipline it takes to be a professional at anything. Only the best of the best make it to the top and make a living doing this. As for it being a passing fad, I can't see that at all. This will be a sport and is becoming a sport today and will be around forever hopefully, but I don't see any reason it would ever fade away!!! Gaming is here to stay and will continue to grow for centuries!"

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: wtf Mar 29, 2007, 01:45 Jerykk

May the gods save us all if the world ever deteriorates far enough that watching other people play games becomes a major pastime.

While watching actual people playing games is stupid, watching the games being played (via replays and such) is interesting to me. I always enjoy a spectacle of skill and replays also offer the chance for me to learn new tactics or tricks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: the antisocial sport... Mar 28, 2007, 18:29 Masa

Sport: –noun 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

A sport implies some combination of athleticism and skill involved.

I don't know, man! My wrists are strong as wrought iron are definition coordinated...

...but that's not from playing games, though...

Ya know, people shoot guns at targets for competitive sport. Yeah, aim and shoot and do better than your opponent.

Yeah, but you can compare that to Olympics events where the events had some tie to killing or evading one thing or another.

And if you really want to make a presumption (although probably not that inaccurate), you could say such events are really telling of the American mentality at large. That frontier and Wild West mentality mandated such practice and skills, which were carried over more for tradition than practicality.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 18:40.

13. Re: the antisocial sport... Mar 28, 2007, 18:19 Tony!!!

Ya know, people shoot guns at targets for competitive sport. Yeah, aim and shoot and do better than your opponent.
I don't think 'sport' is categorized by how many callories you burn.

-Tony!!!;)

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 18:20.

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

12. Re: the antisocial sport... Mar 28, 2007, 16:55 4D-Boxing

Social misfits yes! But which is why video games will never become popular like other activities.

Well last I checked video games were making as much money as the Hollywood Movie industry in North America.

Maybe it's an interweb myth but it would not surprise me....

Now does going to the movies fit you definition of activities..that is another debate.

Finally Yes gaming will always be a pass time just like sports (at least for the majority of people) very few can call sports their job!

Trying to call playing video games sport is like calling poker a sport just not a good idea!

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 16:56.

11. Re: wtf Mar 28, 2007, 16:45 Bhruic

May the gods save us all if the world ever deteriorates far enough that watching other people play games becomes a major pastime. It's bad enough with all the faux sports like bowling and figure skating and what not.

Why is watching people play video games any worse than watching them do any of the other things people enjoy watching? Personally, I find it more interesting than watching sports. And I enjoy and play a variety of sports. I mean, I could see you making a case for them all being dull, but I'm not sure you could make one that says that video games are, but sports aren't.

10. Re: wtf Mar 28, 2007, 14:49 Cutter

Sport: –noun 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

A sport implies some combination of athleticism and skill involved. Some sports may be games, but not all games are sports. Gaming in this instance is not a "sport". This most certainly is a fad and a niche one at that. May the gods save us all if the world ever deteriorates far enough that watching other people play games becomes a major pastime. It's bad enough with all the faux sports like bowling and figure skating and what not.

"No no no, I went the other road. Six figures, doing business with leadpipe cruelty, mercenery sensibility. You know... sports, sex, no real relationships. How about you - how have the years been treating you?"
- Martin Q. Blank

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: wtf Mar 28, 2007, 14:30 Overflow

It is only a sport if it has a ball. I can't remember the comedian that said that. Anyone know?

So, no, by that definition, it is not a sport.

I added the smilie, looked too serious.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 14:50.

8. Re: wtf Mar 28, 2007, 14:09 Tony!!!

Some people consider ping pong and billards a sport...no???

What is it you don't get?

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

7. Re: wtf Mar 28, 2007, 13:29 PointlesS

well the same way poker or chees is sometimes considered a sport by the people who play it...I don't consider all three a sport...but rather a competitive activity...to me there needs to be another word for it...that implies that it's like a thinking sport or something...because to place video games with football (either version) is just not right...

6. Re: wtf Mar 28, 2007, 12:37 Armengar

its as much as sport in the way I view football (soccer to our friends over the pond). Just a bunch of pansies kicking an inflatable around a field for 90 mins.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

5. Re: wtf Mar 28, 2007, 12:19 TorTorden

How is professional gaming in any way a sport?

I guess it became a sport when it became possible to earn a living doing nothing but play games, as for gaming being a sport, well I seriously don't like sports in general and the few broadcasts of local gaming sessions, like the BF2 broadcasts that usualy burns up som airwaves during easter has been absolutely incredibly boring, I honestly would have to say I have been more entertained by female soccer matches.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 12:20.

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

4. the antisocial sport... Mar 28, 2007, 12:19 zirik

...filled with social misfits.

nothing better than playing alone in your room against someone you dont see and have never met in person. unless you are in a lan party. but that is few and far between to call socializing. which is why video games will never become popular like other activities. gaming is and will always be a past time.

3. Re: wtf Mar 28, 2007, 11:39 ldonyo

How is professional gaming in any way a sport?

Head Chef & Bottle Washer for LAN Addict - http://www.lanaddict.

2. Re: wtf Mar 28, 2007, 10:52 Wowbagger_TIP

What makes anyone think this guy has anything insightful to say about gaming, the game industry, or anything else for that matter?
Well, he doesn't really have to say anything insightful. They interview professional sports players all the time. A lot of them can barely put together a coherent sentence. Few if any have anything insightful to say. But they make lots of money doing what they do, and people are interested in the games they play, so some of that interest seems to carry over into a willingness to listen to the players being interviewed.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

1. wtf Mar 28, 2007, 10:08 DrEvil

What makes anyone think this guy has anything insightful to say about gaming, the game industry, or anything else for that matter?

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo