Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Patches

New patches are now available for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, updating GSC Game World's just-released first-person shooter to version 1.0001. There are separate patches for the U.S., Russian, and International editions, with mirrors and change-notes listed in the VALUE5games Forum (thanks Matt). Numerous bugs are addressed by this update, which is accompanied by a warning that saved games from the old version cannot be loaded after patching. The U.S. edition can also be found on ActionTrip, FileFront, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, Internode Games Network, The Patches Scrolls, and Strategy Informer. The international version can be found on ActionTrip, FileFront, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, Internode Games Network, The Patches Scrolls, and Strategy Informer. Finally, the Russian version can be found on the Russian S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Website and mirrored on Gamer's Hell and The Patches Scrolls.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

82. Re: Never thought I would say it... Apr 1, 2007, 17:43 zirik

I see military patrols all the time since I wiped out the checkpoint. Not that it really matters, since I pwn them and steal their sausages.

did you own them or did they own you by giving you their sausage? it seems you like sausages.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

81. Re: Never thought I would say it... Mar 29, 2007, 08:39 PJ

"I see military patrols all the time since I wiped out the checkpoint. Not that it really matters, since I pwn them and steal their sausages."

Is it just me or did that just not sound right?

I took the plunge. Patched and restarted the game but made a back up of all my saved and even the old game directory before patching. So far I am glad I did. Just in the starter zone and have already had several different occurrences which I don't recall from previous game-play.

I am progressing quickly even though I am doing some of the side quests. Speaking of side quests. Last time around I stole "the perfect suit" this time I found a suit just like it so I was able to complete the quest and keep a suit to.

I think I may reinstall the game and see if it clears up the crash to desk top while trying to save the game. It didn't start happening until I was about twenty hours into the game so my guess is it's a bug. But after patching I am still getting it on occasion but this time from the very start of the game.

Even so I am very happy with the game. A classic for me.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 20:22.

80. Re: Never thought I would say it... Mar 29, 2007, 01:34 Jerykk

I've never even noticed a military patrol in my games at all.

I see military patrols all the time since I wiped out the checkpoint. Not that it really matters, since I pwn them and steal their sausages.

79. Re: Freaking morons Mar 28, 2007, 21:28 Halo

I found all I could on SS2 mods. This site seems to sum it up.

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?PHPSESSID=bb5b3acbd9d8ef147a779fe5b53744df&board=2.0

78. Re: Freaking morons Mar 28, 2007, 17:20 4D-Boxing

I think I'm going to load up SS2 again with the graphics update.

Did they ever finish that? I remember downloading it but I think it was still a beta version.

Appreciate any info on the subject when you have time.

77. Re: Never thought I would say it... Mar 28, 2007, 14:18 Cabezone

I've wiped out that checkpoint 3 times in different games and never noticed any additional patrols. I've never even noticed a military patrol in my games at all.

"You faked cancer to get high?"

-Cameron

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

76. Re: Freaking morons Mar 28, 2007, 10:28 Halo

Guess we will have to wait for Bioshock.
I think I'm going to load up SS2 again with the graphics update.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 12:17.

75. Re: Freaking morons Mar 28, 2007, 10:18 Dreagon

Russians shouldnt make games, just vodka

Those Russians are probably your only chance of ever seeing non dumbed down PC shooter hybrids again.

The days of Deus Ex and SS2 are over as far as American development teams go. All you are ever going to get from them is console ports from now on, that have been simplified for the lowest common denominator.

------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

74. Never thought I would say it... Mar 28, 2007, 09:11 PJ

...but Jerykk and I have finally agreed on one small thing.

"The loot you find is randomly generated and if I restart, I'm going to lose it all..."

That is the main reason I don't want to restart. I have just started helping the Scientists (through the tunnel). I have too much money and nothing to buy but ammo on occasion. I have killed hundreds of bandits and rival Stalkers. I have sold dozens of artifacts but tend to just leave them where they lie unless they are something new.

I have five of the best artifacts with a couple spares to swap out when needed and three of them alone add up to -60% to radiation damage. That's huge. I can't just throw that away since it has helped me gain access to areas I would not otherwise be able to reach until getting the better biological suits (which I am just now finding with a certain vendor).

Is there a cheat code I could use to regain my money and in that way repurchase my gear in the newly patched restarted game?

I'm stuck on the fence here. Not wanting to loose what I have but also wanting the benefits of the new patch. Minus the suit degradation. I too think there should be a gun repair/cleaning kit. But as long as the vendors now have more suits I guess repurchasing them is ok too.

As far as weapons go I am assuming they are not random drops. At least the upgrade ones are not. I assume they are dished out at certain parts of the game to give you your progression to harder areas.

****Warning Slight Spoiler****

I attacked and killed the three man Military patrol (near the starter camp) so they sent out eight or nine troops to look for me. I fragged half of them with a few well placed grenades as they scattered and shot the rest of them. I then took out the three remaining in their check point. After that I noticed a change. Now you run into random Military patrols in the entire starting zone. Has this happened to anyone else?

73. Re: Freaking morons Mar 28, 2007, 08:43 toon

Wow, what a douchebag you are Halo. I'm not even gonna rip your comments appart, because it's all blissfully obvious.

72. Re: Any tips? Mar 28, 2007, 08:12 Morgan19

What will really be interesting is if future patches break old savegames, as well. Once is forgiveable, I suppose, but if they keep it up that's going to be ridiculous.

m19

71. Re: Any tips? Mar 28, 2007, 02:42 Jerykk

If you are playing straight through the main quest, then yeah, it doesn't take a long time to catch up. However, if you're like me and have done many sidequests and exploration, restarting is a no-no. The loot you find is randomly generated and if I restart, I'm going to lose it all, as well as my ranking and stats. Really stupid of GSC Gameworld to make a patch that breaks savegames. Hell, Boiling Point had a patch that actually added new features (*cough*weaponrepairs*cough*) to the game and didn't break any old saves.

70. Re: Any tips? Mar 28, 2007, 02:24 Tango

I'm debating whether to patch and restart or not
I had been through the tunnels and back and still restarted. In a couple of hours I got back to where you are now. It's much quicker when you know where you're going. The patch is worth installing, too. I've noticed various improvements.

69. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2007, 00:06 Bhruic

this is nothing like deus ex or SS2. Those games actually had a story, decent game mechanics and were actually immersive.

You're arguing quality when everyone else is talking structure. Structurally speaking, STALKER is much closer to SS2 and DE than it is Oblivion. That's just a given.

Feel free to argue about subjective quality as long as you want, but that's a whole other (unprovable) issue.

68. Re: D'oh! ere we go again. Mar 27, 2007, 23:59 Cabezone

You clearly do not understand the lighting system they used. It is much more intesive at first than lighting done traditionally, however, you can add as many light sources to the screen as you want with no performance hit.

I recommend you do some reading before shooting your mouth off, just makes you sound loud and ignorant. They chose to go with a much mroe advanced lighting system than most people, it was not "tacked on". On a 7800GTX is runs fine maxed out at a mid resoulution, which is pretty good. On a 8800GTX it runs maxed out at a high res, with as many light sources as you could want in a scene, all without breaking a sweat.

"You faked cancer to get high?"

-Cameron
This comment was edited on Mar 28, 00:01.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

67. Re: D'oh! ere we go again. Mar 27, 2007, 23:42 Slink

The game is interesting but it's not polished and that's obvious. The dynamic lighting isn't very well optimized, as you can tell this game was designed to work for DirectX 8 and they tacked shaders on later. From everything I'm hearing, if you have anything less than almost the highest end graphics card, dynamic shaders kill gameplay.

And don't tell me "Run it in static light!" because that's running the game in DirectX 8 mode... and no game in 2007 should be so unoptimized enough to force anyone with mid-range systems run in DX8.

WoW: Darsius (Earthen Ring) / GW: Denarr Trueblade / BF2: Slinky317 / CoH: Spectris (Justice)

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

66. Re: D'oh! ere we go again. Mar 27, 2007, 23:33 Halo

Nuclear fallout and amnesia, That's not exactly top quality story material right there unless you're doing a summer blockbuster movie.

The game is fun though, the only immersive part would the dark, quiet, spookiness that is the underground. The story draws you in a little but in an opened ended game the story comes together near the end, and not during most of the game where you care more about getting cash and quests done than the story.

65. Re: D'oh! ere we go again. Mar 27, 2007, 23:03 wasrad

"Of course you can say the opposite but that doesn't make my statement untrue"

Yes. Actually, it does.

64. D'oh! ere we go again. Mar 27, 2007, 21:05 PJ

"this is nothing like deus ex or SS2. Those games actually had a story, decent game mechanics and were actually immersive."

Saying that just shows how closed minded you are. And sounds pretty stupid too. I find this game far more immersive than SS2. Though that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy SS2. It wasn't as easy to get into as this game is, that's all.

Plus arguing over opinions is a waste of time anyway.

This game is simple the best FPS to come out in quite some time. Of course you can say the opposite but that doesn't make my statement untrue. Just look at the posts. Everyone agrees the game has bugs or issues of certain/different types but the majority of the people seem to be enjoying the game for what it is.

I like the fact that the Russians are trying to make something different not just a clone using a cookie cutter design doc.

63. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2007, 20:57 Halo

LOL, I'm sorry that I brought those up earlier. I was comparing them in the fact that they are NOT straight FPSs, and have more to do then run down hallways holding down the left mouse button.

This game is nowhere near the level of them. There really is no other game like SS2(SS1?) or DE that's what makes them so special.

Sure this game is fun and different because it's an FPS where you pick your own adventure. I see the term "Oblivion with guns" a lot and that may soudn pretty good but atleast oblivion has character development.
I'de rather call the game "Far cry with quests" it's not as pretty as far cry but at least you play at your own pace and not how quickly you run through the level.

So once again this game is like the rebound girlfrien of SS2 and DE. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it'll do till something better comes along.

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo