Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Patches

New patches are now available for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, updating Bethesda Softworks' RPG sequel to version 1.2. There are assorted patches for various language editions of the game on The Elder Scrolls Website, some or all of which can be found mirrored on 3D Downloads, FileFront, FileShack, and Gamer's Hell.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Gothic Mar 25, 2007, 21:31 Wowbagger_TIP

Just play Gothic, a far more engrossing game than ANYTHING Bethesda has put out.
I've heard of people trying to play Gothic. Most of them gave up in frustration.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Gothic Mar 24, 2007, 23:42 Jerykk

How many sand crabs do you know of that attack humans outright?

Mud crabs, not sand crabs. Mud crabs are far more vicious than sand crabs.

no kids.

And the reason why no open-ended games have kids is because of the potential for controversy. Player freedom + kids = dead kids. The last game I can think of that let you kill children was Deus Ex. Even in that game, kids were few and far between.

animals that do nothing, have no purpose, no schedules.

Animals have schedules? Really, though, many of these same faults exist in the Gothic games as well.

And it's not entirely fair to say that Bethesda is just pumping out the same stuff over and over. The combat in Oblivion was substantially better than in Morrowind and the AI is improved. In Morrowind, NPCs just stood around or wandered aimlessly. In Oblivion, they take walks, read books, sleep, eat, practice their skills, etc. Sure, none of these things really serve any purpose (other than immersion) but the same can be said for the NPC activities in the Gothic games.

28. Gothic Mar 24, 2007, 16:46 venomhed

Just play Gothic, a far more engrossing game than ANYTHING Bethesda has put out. Sure, Elder Scrolls games look better, have killer art, but completely are incapable of immersion.

How many sand crabs do you know of that attack humans outright? So sick of Bethesda and all it's praise. Everyone praises them because they are the only company putting out a decent game, but it is the SAME GAME OVER AND OVER, with the same mistakes.

no kids.
no pets
No windows that open in a house to look outside
Shop keepers are only interested in you
no a.i.
no wagons for horses
a secret ancient elven ruin ever 5 feet
animals that do nothing, have no purpose, no schedules.
no one ever works, has a job

Gothic does most of the above very well, but god damn those bugs too. Wish both companies would just team up and make a single player rpg game.

27. Re: ... Mar 24, 2007, 02:41 Masa

I'll be glad if we don't see another Oblivion for years. After Morrowind, Oblivion was just a bland, boring disappointment.

Oh yes, Morrowind's characters don't actually say anything, have no voice acting, and moved like an arthritic Gumby model. The storyline was a bit more original than Oblivion, I'll concede, but the damn character....I swear they were all clones of one another!

26. Re: Waaaa....? Mar 24, 2007, 02:38 Masa

Hmm, well, I'm guessing this has something to do with the impending release of Shivering Isles, as well as the recent release of the PS3 version of Oblivion. In that version, they fixed the terrain LOD issue and now this patch fixes it too. Coincidence? I think not.

Yes, but is there actually a coincidence...? Just a new game in the series being released and Oblivion being updated. Nothing unusual about that at all.

25. Issues Mar 23, 2007, 23:35 Creston

The patch apparently breaks both OBMM and OBSE. So if you use either of those, I'd wait for a fix before patching.

Edit : OBMM can be made to work by disabling BSA edits.

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 23:37.

24. Re: wow Mar 23, 2007, 22:52 Creston

those three are collectively known as FranOOOMMM

There's a new version of FranOOOMMM, btw, called Cry FranOOOMMM. It includes Oblivion Warcry. I'm waiting for them to come out with a guide on how to get all these delevelers working, seems a bit tricky to me.

I personally use :

AFlevel
OOO
Unofficial Patch
DarkUI (same as BTMod, but makes your UI dark instead of light, much better imo.)
A few texture replacers
Beautiful people
Atmospheric Weather System 2.0

And some other minor ones. The two main ones are OOO and AFLevel. Combined they take all the dreary shit out of Oblivion and turn it into an excellent game.

I agree that the levelled bullshit in Oblivion took away all the danger and excitement of the game. OOO definitely fixes that (as do MMM, Francesco's and Oblivion Warcry, btw, as well as several older ones.) I prefer OOO because Soto actually ties all his new stuff in with existing lore and quests, making it all feel much more cohesive.
1.32 is almost out, introduces some new quests, creates journal entries for all your old quests, and a bunch of other new stuff.

As for this new patch, the only thing I find even remotely interesting is the Distand LOD quality improvement (beth probably just stole an existing mod and calls it a "patch".)

Creston

23. Re: Waaaa....? Mar 23, 2007, 22:43 Jerykk

Hmm, well, I'm guessing this has something to do with the impending release of Shivering Isles, as well as the recent release of the PS3 version of Oblivion. In that version, they fixed the terrain LOD issue and now this patch fixes it too. Coincidence? I think not.

22. Waaaa....? Mar 23, 2007, 22:41 Creston

*blink blink*

Where the hell did this come from?

Bethesda did this just to piss off all the modders, who now have to release new versions of all their mods.

Creston

21. Re: Facts Mar 23, 2007, 19:11 CJ_Parker

PH33D ME, B!TCH!!!!111 U NO U WANT TOO LOLZZZ!@!!~1

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

20. Re: Facts Mar 23, 2007, 18:58 4D-Boxing

CJ_Parker
.....ok i know i know don't feed.....

19. Re: ... Mar 23, 2007, 17:47 Jerykk

There are so many places they could have taken it, yet they seem to have taken the least interest route possible.

Err, the Shivering Isles looks pretty interesting to me.

Glad to see they finally released a patch that fixes the LOD terrain detail. Unfortunately, it's a whee bit late. Also unfortunate that the new terrain looks like it is covered with pepper.

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 17:53.

18. ... Mar 23, 2007, 17:32 theyarecomingforyou

Are you a console gamer turned PC Gamer? Maybe, because this 21 year veteran of PC gaming considers end-user modding to be the sole reason why I buy the PC version of multi-platform games like Oblivion.
No. I have no interest in console gaming. Also, I agree than end-user modding is the biggest advantage that the PC has and is an amazing asset - that doesn't negate the fact that I don't consider it essential. Still, feel free to whip out insults and make illogical conclusions to everything I say.

The end result? I ended up juicing another play-through out of an otherwise mediocre CRPG...something that wouldn't have been possible were it not for gameplay enhancing mods.
Great for you. I, however, played through it 3 times without any gameplay altering mods and found it enjoyable. Don't get me wrong - it's far from perfect. The difficulty levelling system means that you have a similar experience to start from finish, instead of having offlimit areas for lower level characters. The main plotline was also dull in comparison to the guilds and side quests. However, so many aspects of the game were amazing and highly enjoyable.

I will likely startup the game again with some serious gameplay mods but I was waiting for them to mature - I got the game at release and the mods available were a bit unpolished and didn't know what they wanted to achieve.

I'll be glad if we don't see another Oblivion for years. After Morrowind, Oblivion was just a bland, boring disappointment.
Good for you. However I, like millions of others, have found the game incredibly enjoyable and extremely worthwhile and wish more games would follow its example. That way we could have some games that add more depth, whilst others can become more arcadey and narrowminded in their objective. Strangely enough there isn't going to be one game that suits everyone.

I'm just disappointed that the expansion pack looks pretty dull. There are so many places they could have taken it, yet they seem to have taken the least interest route possible.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: Facts Mar 23, 2007, 17:20 CJ_Parker

Daggerfall was when Bethesda peaked. It has been downhill from that point on.

Dude, even with JLo and my fav niggah Beyonce K, there ain't enuff ass in the world to make up for how much ass Daggerfall sucked . Those fucking retarded random dungeons deserve a place among the top three "Greatest fuck-ups in the history of video gaming". And pretty damned near the top, too.

Seriously, Daggerfall is retro fucktard shit, man. Just like Stonekeep. That stuff was kinda like the experimental age of gaming. Y'know like the same experimental shit as kicking shrooms. I'm just glad we've left that stage behind a long time ago and that we've finally arrived at grade-A crack like Oblivion .

*** Born to troll ***

16. Re: Facts Mar 23, 2007, 17:14 Badger

Lets keep things in perspective. Even the worst Elder Scrolls game is better than 90% of the crap out there. Oblivion had it faults, as did Morrowind, as did Daggerfall.

Daggerfall was great, but lets not forget the massive problems it had upon release. For starters it was horribly bug-ridden, more so than Morrowind and Oblivion combined. Second, the randomly generated dungeons were anything but fun. And third, generating income was a joke. All you had to do was steal from shops by night, and sell everything back to the same merchants by day! And that was only a small fraction of the game's problems.

Point is, you could bash any game in the series equally. However, Bethesda is the only company left that is making free-form virtual worlds of this magnitude (R.I.P. Ultima) without going the MMO route. They should be commended for that even if they don't pull everything off perfectly with each chapter.

15. Re: ... Mar 23, 2007, 17:08 CJ_Parker

Everything is automatically scaled in difficulty to your level. I can't imagine anything more boring than that. What's the point of playing if everything stays basically the same all the way through?

By that logic, playing *every* single linear game, be it a RPG, FPS, RTS or MMO or whatever other genre is pointless. So that makes only about 90%+ of the games that are currently out pointless.

Secret tip of the day: Games are meant to be played and played through (a.k.a finished). The system in Oblivion is effectively not any different from playing a first person shooter with levels where you progress from one level to another to face enemies that are designed so you can beat them. It's just like any and every other linear game. Levels in FPS games are designed so you can beat them. Missions and campaigns in RTS games are designed so you can beat them. And so are the encounters in most RPGs (if they are linear RPGs like the vast majority of RPGs).

Don't get me wrong. I dislike some aspects of the scaling as well (like the loot system and the scaling of the wild creatures) but the vast generalizations that some people are making about the system are pretty dumb for the most part.

*** Born to troll ***

14. Facts Mar 23, 2007, 16:27 Icewind

One of the great things about Stalker is that it does not hold your hand, just dumps you into the world and lets you figure it out, like Bethsoft used to.

No kidding. Talk about Daggerfall flashbacks.

I've said it before and was told I was only lying so I could seem cool to the rpgcodex (A lame site to be sure) **ck suckers, but I'll say it again:

Daggerfall was when Bethesda peaked. It has been downhill from that point on.

I'm glad you like the modding community - however, to say it is essential is a gross over-exaggeration.

Are you a console gamer turned PC Gamer? Maybe, because this 21 year veteran of PC gaming considers end-user modding to be the sole reason why I buy the PC version of multi-platform games like Oblivion.

As with Morrowind, I went through Oblivion once without ANY mods, just to prove I could beat the game without help. Then after decimating this painfully unchallenging game with a Breton Spellsword, I downloaded around 40 different mods (Mostly for GUI/Graphics/Sound enhancements) and re-played it as a custom class using custom made armor, weapons, and a few houses.

The end result? I ended up juicing another play-through out of an otherwise mediocre CRPG...something that wouldn't have been possible were it not for gameplay enhancing mods.

Then I went back to Daggerfall.

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 16:29.

13. Re: wow Mar 23, 2007, 16:23 Awesome Spume

I'm using Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, Francesco's mod, Martigen's Monster Mod (those three are collectively known as FranOOOMMM!

I still put in half a dozen hours a week using OOO. When I tire of my vampire I'll probably start another game using the full on FranOOOMMM but with a few more quest mods added to keep it fresh. I never understood the hatred for Oblivion. Morrowind had more to do out of the box but the combat and the NPCs were dire. I still haven't finished MW and I doubt I ever will because I couldn't go back to MW combat.

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.positech.co.uk - where nostalgia becomes reality.

12. Re: ... Mar 23, 2007, 15:20 Wowbagger_TIP

I too use many mods when playing, but none that affect the gameplay mechanics (as I feel that would devalue my accomplishments). The game can be enhanced with mods but it is ridiculous to say it is a waste of money without them.
Not ridiculous to say that at all. The leveled monsters system they implemented in this game already devalues your accomplishments. Everything is automatically scaled in difficulty to your level. I can't imagine anything more boring than that. What's the point of playing if everything stays basically the same all the way through? I can close an oblivion gate at level 1 or level 30 and it's just as hard each time. With the mods, I got my ass handed to me when I attempted an oblivion gate at level 4. I actually had to be careful where I went and what monsters I took on. I actually had to use some creative tactics to survive some of the dungeons. None of that happened when I played the vanilla game. I was always strong enough to handle any dungeon without too much difficulty. Where's the fun or adventure in that?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

11. Re: wow Mar 23, 2007, 15:14 Wowbagger_TIP

Mind mentioning which mods you find essential?
I'm using Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, Francesco's mod, Martigen's Monster Mod (those three are collectively known as FranOOOMMM! and can be downloaded together under that name along with a couple other mods that make them play nicer together), the Unofficial Oblivion Patch for a gajillion bug fixes, and BTMod for the interface improvements. I may also be running a couple other little ones, but those are the major ones. It's a whole different game when running these mods, and a MUCH better game at that. Some of them have options you can set to your liking or to tweak the difficulty. All those modders out there who have been helping to make Oblivion the game it should have been deserve a LOT of credit. They've done some amazing things without much help from Bethesda. I'm considering using Natural Environments as well, but had read a while back that it still had some conflicts with other mods, so I held off. I need to check in on it again. I should probably also check out the Landscape LOD fixes. I haven't had much time to play for the last couple months though, so I haven't been keeping up with the latest mods and updates.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo