Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Q&As

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Q&A, part three on Computer and Video Games wraps up this conversation with Oleg Yavorsky about GSC Game World's upcoming first-person shooter: "We implemented a whole bunch of vehicles in the game, ranging from old Soviet small cars (Zaporozhets, Lada Niva etc) to trucks (Kamaz), APC and even a tractor. After a series of play-testing, however, we came to the conclusion that vehicles just don't fit, neither the gameplay we wanted to achieve, nor the concept of the Zone. To explain in more detail, the game balance was constructed with cautious play-through and area exploration in mind. The player is meant to use detectors to check for anomalies and keep safe by meticulously avoiding them. The concept, however, doesn't work with vehicles. Indeed, there is not much fun driving 80 km/h in a Lada only to get constantly trapped and killed in anomalies. Vehicles have proven simply incompatible with the Zone." There is also a new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl Q&A on GameSpot.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. No subject Mar 19, 2007, 07:09 space captain

runs fine on my system - maybe your PC just sucks

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: context is key, or you are a dumbass Mar 18, 2007, 23:42 Jerykk

Hrm, this game runs like arse. Serious arse. Looks like they skipped the whole optimization phase. On the bright side, the AI is surprisingly good. Enemies constantly move from cover to cover and managed to flank and sneak up on me while I was reloading my weapon.

21. Re: context is key, or you are a dumbass Mar 18, 2007, 23:21 nomar

this game also runs on win 3.1.

20. context is key, or you are a dumbass Mar 18, 2007, 19:41 space captain

yeh the point about vehicles in STALKER was about quicker means of transportation, so you wouldnt have to run for 10 minutes to get where you are going

apparently they put too many zone-deathtraps in so the actual use of these same vehicles was rendered pointless and moot.. because you will have to navigate the maps on foot to stay alive

might also be because they chopped up the world map into smaller areas (but of course they wouldnt tell the press about that)

Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: well.... Mar 18, 2007, 18:16 Jerykk

I remember gaming before the vehicles became the next buzz phrase.

Amen. Vehicles only belong in vehicular-based games, like racing games or vehicular-combat games. They have no place in first-person shooters where combat is all about skillful, 1v1 ground combat. Fighting a vehicle is not the same as fighting a regular opponent, as the vehicles usually have substantially more health than you, forcing you to compensate by carrying gay weapons like heat-seeking missile launchers.

Alas, newbz love vehicles so they aren't going anywhere.

18. No subject Mar 18, 2007, 11:43 space captain

maybe you should find a functional brain instead

and heres a translation in case you dont understand:

you are a dumbass

Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: No subject Mar 18, 2007, 10:01 Calabi-Yau

Maybe they should have dropped the anomalies, which are just random clouds of instant death anyway.

Space Captain, can you please make sense or STFU, choose please.

16. well.... Mar 18, 2007, 09:24 Shataan

I remember gaming before the vehicles became the next buzz phrase. And for me gaming was way way better. (example) Joint Ops added vehicles to the fray. and those of us who like pure onfoot mil combat fun had to deal with all the road warriors after that.

Then they put Objectives so far apart we were forced to use vehicles. It sucked ballz. It is nice to see STALKER being an onfoot experience. I remember origianlly STALKER was supposed to allow the player to use a 1 man mechlike vehicle to get around. Too bad they changed that design.

I was hoping MP would be more along the lines of what GSC had in their old game Venom. Think I`ll stick to the sp if I buy STALKER. Definately wanna try a single player demo 1st.

15. No subject Mar 18, 2007, 08:58 space captain

dont worry kids, one day you will learn to seperate personal opinion from objective fact, but until then - go ahead and enjoy your ignorance... i know i do

Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: No subject Mar 18, 2007, 06:34 Jerykk

If you can't drive a vehicle around without hitting an anomaly every five meters, maybe they should have placed the anomalies in more obscure, harder-to-find-and-access places. Like the others have said in this topic, I believe that AI was the biggest issue and that they simply couldn't handle the vehicles in such an open environment.

13. No subject Mar 18, 2007, 06:23 Malakai

Maybe im a sheep, maybe im just following the flock or some equally apt phrase people might lay on me, but the reason given sounds a bloody good reason.

I wouldnt want to be in a car driving only to die because i drove straight through an anomaly. It'd have to be one or the other. Either have vehicles, or have anomalies. Plus i reckon that no vehicles would add to the game.

Either way i'm going to see how it goes, what the reviews are like and i'll probably get the game. I enjoy post-apocalyptic games.

12. Re: sleeping Mar 18, 2007, 05:46 Jerykk

Quest for Glory. and in ultima 7.

Both those games were long before my time. However, if I somehow recall beyond my years correctly, both those games were RPGs. STALKER is an action game with RPG aspects. Forced eating and sleeping in an action game is a big no-no, as they kill the pacing and make you focus on the mundane rather than the exciting.

11. sleeping Mar 18, 2007, 05:27 mysticmage

but sleeping and eadting worked so well in Quest for Glory. and in ultima 7.

why couldnt it work here as well.

now taking the vehicles out is plain stupid. more then likely they couldnt get their AI system to interact with them correctly. thats why they were removed. because if it was due to getting trapped by anomalies. I bet they would still be in game. and I bet that is why we will never see a Mod for vehicles. as the same reason we will never see children in oblivion mod due to the God awful 3d file format they decided to use.

10. Well... Mar 18, 2007, 02:52 Wilson

Given the fact that people have gone out of their way to make very detailed Morrowind mods (and probably Oblivion by now) that add in things like mandated eating and rest...

Maybe people just yearn for the old Quest for Glory days.

9. Re: No subject Mar 18, 2007, 02:46 MeatForce

They should sell a "shoelaces untie and you might trip" add-on at some point in the future. But I think to make it fair, after you reach a certain level, you learn to tie double knots.. Probably lvl20 for something like that.

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.
www.hammiestudios.com is nothing but motherfucking spam. Try www.stileproject.com instead.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

8. Re: No subject Mar 18, 2007, 02:25 Jerykk

Morrowind required you to find a safe place to sleep and that was just a annoying. You'd be sleeping soundly, then "You hear a strange noise..." and you wake up, only to find yourself being attacked by some level 1 Squig.

Though, I guess I can see some merit in that it adds to the survival tone of the game (STALKER).

Forced eating, on the other hand, is just an annoyance. It's like paying for gas in a racing game. An unnecessary hassle.

7. Re: No subject Mar 18, 2007, 02:16 Dreagon

I think making finding a safe place to bed down for the night part of the game WOULD add to the game. They should have had a "survival mode" setting in the difficulty settings that would allow for sleeping and eating.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 02:16.

------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

6. Re: No subject Mar 18, 2007, 00:08 Jerykk

i wouldnt mind a mod that puts the code for required sleeping and eating back in... seems like a interesting hardcore survivalist twist

Sounds extremely tedious and unnecessary to me. Might as well force you to take bathroom breaks too. Or find medicine after catching pneumonia for standing in the rain too long.

Realism and complexity are only good things when they actually add to a game. And by "add," I mean "add something fun and interesting."

5. No subject Mar 17, 2007, 21:41 space captain

that "feature" was cut like a year ago

btw, they also cut out co-op

please bitch some more

Go forth, and kill!

4. chortle. Mar 17, 2007, 21:05 Calabi-Yau

So S.T.A.L.K.E.R loses yet another feature. Hard to imagine there is much left. The Secret of the Zone is ... There Is No Secret!

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo