Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Halo 2 & PC Live in May

Microsoft service to link console, PC gamers online announces plans to release the Windows Vista edition of Halo 2 on May 8, which will also be when the Vista version of the Live service goes, well, live. The announcement also has word to expect the PC edition of Shadowrun in June:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. on Wednesday said its Live online service, which has attracted 6 million Xbox 360 console gamers, will be open in May to PC gamers who use its new Windows Vista operating system.

The move comes nearly a year after Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates said the company's vision was for "anywhere" gaming that would link video game consoles, cell phones and computers, and is a key step toward reaching that goal.

The PC version of Live will debut on May 8 with the launch of the Windows Vista version of "Halo 2," Microsoft's popular alien shooter game.

In June, Microsoft Game Studios will release "Shadowrun," the first game where Live will support competition between players on the Xbox 360 and PCs.

Live members will need just one account, whether they play on the Xbox 360, the PC, or both machines.

Microsoft offers two Live subscription levels. Silver membership is free and the Gold level, which includes cross-platform play and other multiplayer features, costs about $50 per year.

Microsoft's online gaming service has been a key selling point for its Xbox 360 video game console, which was released in November 2005 and competes with Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news).'s PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s Wii for top billing in the $30 billion global video game market.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

67. No subject Mar 17, 2007, 08:35 [VG]Reagle

[Quote}Fuck you both, and your mothers
That's real mature. At this point you're just insulting your own intelligence; which I imagine must be pretty minimal to begin with.{/Quote]

This my friends is why I love the internet. No matter how noble and thoughtfull the topic, it allways degenerates into a nice name calling pre-teen insult-a-thon.

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. Re: they did it with dx10 and now... Mar 15, 2007, 15:34 CJ_Parker

first directx was developed to follow opengl

Wrong. It was developed because everyone was tired of making their games compatible with Matrox, 3dfx, SiS, ATI, nVidia and OpenGL-based cards. Microsoft just satisfied the demand for standardization by delivering Direct3D as a unified API for every type of hardware out there.
Besides, if DirectX followed anything at all then it would have been 3dfx/Glide since 3dfx held over 85% of the graphics 3D accelerator market at one point. OpenGL was always pretty insignificant in comparison to Glide or D3D.

but everyone bought into directx because it was cheaper

No. Because of the standardization (see above). OK. Fine. It was cheaper in an indirect sense since the engine programmers needed less time to make the engine work with every single card manufacturer's own proprietary crap. They just needed to focus on DirectX as a unified API for everything 3D.

now that directx is defacto and a must for vista everyone is asking what happened to opengl.

Who is that "everyone" that you're talking about? Other than a bunch of hardcore Linux fanatics who can't get over the fact that no one is making games for Linux and except for id Software, I don't really see any overwhelming support or anyone asking for OpenGL.

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

65. Re: Back on Track Mar 15, 2007, 15:21 nomar

screw that trash,im still running quake 3 on win 3.1.

64. Re: Back on Track Mar 15, 2007, 04:11 Beaner

The whole concept of closed gaming networks annoys me. And Im not against the pay to play model I understand these companies need to make money, but for god sakes, use the internet and a pay to play model to connect to a server. Pretty soon we are going to have all these fractured closed game networks for gaming. What a mess. Its like AOL in reverse.

And regarding Halo. I really could care less with Crysis, Quake Wars and some of the other nice looking multiplay games coming to the PC. Granted I may need Vista to play some of them.

63. Back on Track Mar 15, 2007, 01:16 Tanto Edge

*groan*
Reading over my posts is embarrassing, but I won't make excuses. I'm hot headed over this issue and lashed at folk who have every right I do.

I'm really not one to freak as such... moreover online where a delete/edit/proof function is always applicable.
You pissed me off, I wrote nasty shit, you got me back. Sorry guys.

It's your right to post here inasmuch as it is mine, but I don't like reading drivel as I posted anymore than anyone else. I wasn't thinking clearly.

I'm not one to delete said posts though, as one can't do this in real life either.

I wasn't stating Beamer was beneath my scorn, I was trying to say he was above it...

Yes there is a post aside my blithering:

I hope this whole Live system tanks. To be reborn amongst several developers.
Networking everything together is good. Standards are good. Modularity is good. While all these companies are in competition, we'll never see all this stuff come together.

There's never going to be a proper union between PC and XBox, there will be a union between XBox and Vista, or Windows Media Centre, not PC.

Such being the case, who's got a lead on a Linux based XBox friendly operating system that will let them stream media as other systems do? (Stream, not Linux)

Yes, it does take 3rd party software to accomplish this task on the PS3 and Wii... but no 3rd party software will do this for the 360.

Googling it is interesting as there are lots of groups trying to make various operating systems for the 360 itself...

Edit: Added witty subject.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 01:21.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

62. Re: No subject Mar 15, 2007, 00:20 zirik

I also suspect that the XBOX games will have aiming assistance to compensate for the lack of speed and precision

everyone i know who plays halo on xbox live does not believe that. but i do notice it. there is aim assist on the console version of halo, not so on the pc. the hit box is also larger on the console version. head shots on the console version should be called hit anything over the shoulder shot.

61. they did it with dx10 and now... Mar 15, 2007, 00:09 zirik

first directx was developed to follow opengl. but everyone bought into directx because it was cheaper. now that directx is defacto and a must for vista everyone is asking what happened to opengl.

now lets look at windows live. its cheap, its made by M$ so it must be good. forget gamespy. M$ will not force everyone to upgrade to the next operating system after vista just so they can keep up with windows live when it becomes defacto multiplay protocol. no?

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 00:10.

60. Re: Lets get back on track. Mar 14, 2007, 21:04 Riley Pizt

I wouldn't worry about what that, as I'm sure non-Microsoft owned developers will offer Windows Live, plus their own internet matchmaking like they always have (via Gamespy or some other program).
I am sure they won't offer both. No publisher or developer is going to pay for more than one multiplayer solution. Live will most likely get the nod and become the defacto standard supplanting Gamespy because it is less expensive and because it is from Microsoft and supported in its SDK's which the developers are already using for the development of their games. For XBOX 360 game ports to the PC, using Live will be a no-brainer since the porting XBOX live code is relatively easy according to Microsoft.

The more I read about Live, the more I hate it, but I am afraid we are going to be stuck with it for most PC games in the future.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 21:06.

59. Re: Lets get back on track. Mar 14, 2007, 19:52 Ayii

I wouldn't worry about what that, as I'm sure non-Microsoft owned developers will offer Windows Live, plus their own internet matchmaking like they always have (via Gamespy or some other program). It's just another option for those that want the unified gamertag, achievements, game awareness, cross-game voice chat, and other benefits of Live.

58. No subject Mar 14, 2007, 19:46 Ayii

Actually Tanto, the "wireless" in "Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel" describes the connection to the 360, not whether there are any wires used with the peripheral at all. There are wires that connect the pedals to the wheel and if you want force feedback, you need to plug in the AC adapter. I'd rather have that than 3 battery packs (one for the foot pedals, one for the wireless connection, and one for the force feedback).

Also, it will work on the PC, but naturally it's Microsoft, so it only works on Window XP or Vista and being that it's wireless you'll need the wireless receiver for it, which is around $20 bucks.

It's a good deal if you've got a 360 and XP/Vista and love racing games. I don't have it, as I'm not big on racing games, but the reviews have been quite positive.

57. Lets get back on track. Mar 14, 2007, 19:32 Smellfinger

Windows Live restricts your multiplayer options unless you pay for the Gold subscription, and even then you're forced to use Windows Live. This is counter to what id Software started with the original Quake. It's counter to the spirit of online PC gaming.

56. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2007, 17:46 Scottish Martial Arts

Ok asswad, I apologized to Beamer, but I don't owe you shit.

If you act this way in real life then you owe an apology to every person you have ever met.

Frankly, he called me a moron and I still apologized, which imo is dumb, considering the best evidence he cited is Wikifuckingpedia.

That was an apology? With your comment about Beamer's post history showing that he was beneath your scorn, I'd have assumed the post was just another veiled insult.

You didn't read my fucking post before deciding to slam me.

I did read it. You did not clearly admit you were wrong, and the amount of time you spent explaining why you think Microsoft would never allow free Windows Live multiplayer lead me, and I would imagine most readers, to believe that you still thought a Gold Live account was necessary for any sort of PC multiplayer. Perhaps if you could learn to write in the English language and compose a sentence that does not use Fuck for every other word, we could have avoided any confusion.

Fuck you both, and your mothers

That's real mature. At this point you're just insulting your own intelligence; which I imagine must be pretty minimal to begin with.

55. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2007, 16:27 Tanto Edge

Did you even bother to read that before you posted it? From the link
LOL!
Yes, yes I did...

Ok asswad, I apologized to Beamer, but I don't owe you shit. Frankly, he called me a moron and I still apologized, which imo is dumb, considering the best evidence he cited is Wikifuckingpedia.

You didn't read my fucking post before deciding to slam me.

Fuck you both, and your mothers. I made amends, but you jumped on me. Who the fuck are you? In other words? I wasn't aware we needed you to clarify a chart which I took the ten minutes out of my life to find.

Fuck you for pointing out the evidences which I'm citing to prove myself wrong.

54. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2007, 16:14 Scottish Martial Arts

And now, after much searching!
http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/live/aboutLive.aspx
Official.

Did you even bother to read that before you posted it? From the link:

Silver Membership Features: Cost = Free, PC only multiplayer

In other words, if you want to play multiplayer against other PC players then you won't have to pay a dime. If you want to play against 360 players then you need to pay for Gold.

Maybe before you start insulting people you should actually read your own evidence.

53. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2007, 16:07 DrEvil

The 50MB limit no longer exists. They didn't just make an exception for that, the new higher limit applies to everyone last I heard.

52. Re: Halo the series... Mar 14, 2007, 15:54 nomar

What the hell is Halo anyway?

51. Halo the series... Mar 14, 2007, 15:45 Rain

Can't say this does anything for me.  

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

50. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2007, 15:35 Tanto Edge

Aww crap.

Ok, I want to apologize to Beamer (note I've left my previous posts unedited).
I don't usually insult folks, but you cast a stone, so I saw fit to retaliate. After reading some posts of your history, I've seen that you're not an individual deserving of my insults and banter. I thought you were wrong and slamming someone who didn't need slamming.

Anyhow, all that aside, I don't know if Microsoft will go either way. I think that despite evidences at this point, we still can't rely on any sources that say it'll be different. It makes sense to have a clear distinction, but if silver allowed PC people to play, 360 users would hit the roof... provided they knew about it.

I don't know that Microsoft would really want to place themselves in that sort of position.

This is one occasion where Microsoft has said this and done that. Another would be Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, for XBox marketplace. This game breaks their precious fifty megabyte limit.
Yet that was okay! That's alright, Microsoft will still sell this popular game despite whatever guidelines or stipulations Microsoft put in place.
We here at Microsoft believe in blurring lines, as long as it keeps the bottom one sharp.
This comment was edited on Mar 14, 15:39.

And now, after much searching!
http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/live/aboutLive.aspx
Official.
This comment was edited on Mar 14, 15:50.

49. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2007, 15:26 Riley Pizt

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/features/goodasgold.htm
That description only applies to the XBOX version of Live not the PC version.

Your post illustrates a problem I mentioned earlier with Windows Live which is that by allowing Silver subscribers on the PC to play in online games in at least some capacity, Microsoft is breaking the symmetry with XBOX Live which does not allow multiplayer for Silver subscribers. So, while you are wrong that Silver subscribers on the PC version of Live can't participate in multiplayer games, the reason for your confusion is understandable because Microsoft didn't make it the same as the XBOX version. Microsoft will likely rectify that later by requiring Gold subscriptions for PC users as well once Windows Live catches on.

48. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2007, 15:17 Riley Pizt

I see no reason to blame Live for this, and no reason to expect it to come to the PC.
I find it much harder to believe that Microsoft will redesign the service for the PC when everyone in the console world sings the praises of XBOX Live. Time will tell though.

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo