Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Halo 2 & PC Achievements

The Halo 2 diary on MGS_HiredGun's Blog on IGN discusses translating the achievement system from Xbox LIVE to the PC edition of Bungie's shooter sequel, made all the more tricky since the Xbox edition of Halo 2 predates the whole GamerScore dealie. They discuss the thought process behind the achievements, and go on to reveal another area where a premium gold account will offer benefits over lesser accounts:

Earning Achievements (Silver & Gold)
It’s an exciting new era for “Halo 2” players, as a new frontier opens on Windows Vista. We are adding a lot to the game to make it a much richer experience, especially if you have a Games for Windows – LIVE service account. Silver accounts on LIVE can earn achievements on the single-player campaign, and play in multiplayer games. Gold accounts on LIVE have the added benefit of being able to earn achievements in both single-player campaign and multiplayer matches.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: No subject Mar 8, 2007, 08:21 Ecthelion

Right, right. Everyone on the internet hates Halo and Halo 2 and thinks it was the suckiest game ever created. And YET, it's one of the best selling series of all time. Hmmm...someone's obviously buying and playing the game.

It's so cool and popular to hate Microsoft!
I've never hated Micrsoft. I can't stand those idiots who go around calling them "Micro$oft" and I don't really have any major problems with Windows. No, my hatred of Halo is based solely on bad experiences playing the game, not blind hatred of its creators.

That said, I think Bungie is one of the most overrated developers ever. I still remember playing Marathon 2 on a friend's Mac, and wondering, "what the hell is this?"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Anyone else notice... Mar 8, 2007, 05:00 Jerykk

Heh, what's more amusing is that the PC Halo 2 actually have less content than the Xbox version. There is no co-op mode in the PC version.

Not that any of this matters. Halo has always sucked.

38. Anyone else notice... Mar 8, 2007, 01:34 The Half Elf

That Microsoft is trying to 'save PC Gaming' but at the same time just screwing over the PC Gamers more and more?

We're getting a game 2 and a half years later for the PC, yet have to upgrade to a new OS and for some of us new hardware, AND we have to pay to get everything out of the game.

I'm by no means the brightest crayon in the box, but when I start adding all this shit up it scares me.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

37. Re: ... Mar 8, 2007, 00:30 Tigger

As for Halo 2... fuck Microsoft. If they couldn't deliver it in a reasonable timeframe they shouldn't have bothered - then they decide to screw everyone over by making it Vista exclusive. It's okay for me because I'm already on Vista but that doesn't help the other 99% of gamers that want to play it - if I was to get it I'd have barely anyone to play against online. I certainly won't be buying it, even if it was the best game in the world - I will not support companies that screw over PC users like this (especially Microsoft, who made the PC platform what it is!).

Um, if you are not supporting Microsoft, why are you an early adopter of Vista?

But of more interest, why are you using Windows?

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 00:41.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

36. Re: What a sham Mar 8, 2007, 00:18 Tigger

Good point, but did they change the weapons, vehicles, and basic gameplay from the XBOX version? I know they changed the gameplay a bit (to adapt to the different controls), but I doubt they changed the weapons and vehicles. If they sucked on the PC (which I contend they did), they sucked on XBOX as well.

For the Halo PC port:

I think they tweaked the sniper rifle (changed the zooms if I remember)

They added the Fuel Rod Gun

They added Internet Mulitplayer

They TOOK OUT COOP.

I've played through Halo on Xbox in 480p and played through it on PC in 1280x1024. I think PC looked better, but the higher you cranked the graphics the slower it went.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 00:20.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

35. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2007, 19:31 FreonTrip

Um, you're probably better off.

34. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2007, 16:23 JaZeeL

My last girlfriend actually left me because the size of my e-penis didn't satisfy her

33. No subject Mar 7, 2007, 15:54 Brainp0wa

Last Thanksgiving I bought a lunchbox360, Gears of War, and then I got Halo2 from the fat man in red. That was my first experience with a Halo game on a console and I think the PC port of the original Halo is way better. Trying to drive a warthog with a controller is in no way preferable to doing it with a keyboard and mouse imho. Pushing a button to slide just seems so foreign to me when I am used to just whipping the mouse around to slide wherever I want to.

Of course it could be all the hours I spent playing race that makes me appreciate being able to use the superior control scheme to drive my favorite videogame vehicle evar.

I wish they would add the race gametype to Halo2:Vista.

As for the achievements, I don't really care about increasing the size of my e-pen1s so they don't interest me all that much.

32. No subject Mar 7, 2007, 15:29 nightfend

Right, right. Everyone on the internet hates Halo and Halo 2 and thinks it was the suckiest game ever created. And YET, it's one of the best selling series of all time. Hmmm...someone's obviously buying and playing the game.

It's so cool and popular to hate Microsoft!

31. Re: What a sham Mar 7, 2007, 15:21 Jerykk

You play a game on the platform it was designed for.

Which is why all FPS games should be PC-only. They have no place on consoles.

30. Re: What a sham Mar 7, 2007, 15:01 ViRGE

Good point, but did they change the weapons, vehicles, and basic gameplay from the XBOX version? I know they changed the gameplay a bit (to adapt to the different controls), but I doubt they changed the weapons and vehicles. If they sucked on the PC (which I contend they did), they sucked on XBOX as well.
They didn't change a thing, and that just compounded the suckiness. Just take a look at the performance, which was a result of inefficient code that Bungie refused to allow Gearbox to change(resulting in the release of Halo:CE), or the fact that they kept what amounted to a high rate of fire hit-scan weapon as the default weapon. It was a perfect port of how much the game sucked.

29. Re: What a sham Mar 7, 2007, 14:13 Ecthelion

Why is it that because Halo on the PC wasn't enjoyable for you all, you all naturally think that it is the underlying game that's crap and not the port?

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 14:13.

28. Re: halo 2 < ut2k4 Mar 7, 2007, 11:17 zirik

you cant call it a ripoff if it is a sequel to a series. halo took lots of game elements from OTHER games. now theyre doing it again with halo 2 PC by ripping off achievements made popular by bf2 and bf2142. let the ripoff games flood the market. its easy money for developers if they dont have to innovate.

27. Re: What a sham Mar 7, 2007, 11:15 zirik

agreed Pedle Zelnip, halo is not for the pc. hence we should not have it ported. lets also ignore the fact that halo was originally designed for the mac and pc before M$ bought bungie.

26. Re: What a sham Mar 7, 2007, 10:51 Pedle Zelnip

Why is it that because Halo on the PC wasn't enjoyable for you all, you all naturally think that it is the underlying game that's crap and not the port?

I have a 360 and played through Halo 1 & 2 on that platform and they were both very enjoyable gaming experiences. Best of all time? No, but certainly much better than many of the FPS experiences I've had on any platform.

Halo was designed for play on a console, not a PC, so to get the best Halo experience you need to play it on a console, not a PC. You play a game on the platform it was designed for.

This is why I think Gears of War on the PC is a bad idea, as it's unlikely that the control scheme will transfer over well to the PC.

PZ
------------
Reading: Nothing yet, planning on reading Isaac Asimov's "The Robots of Dawn" shortly

PZ
------------

25. Re: What a sham Mar 7, 2007, 10:14 Ecthelion

As for achievements, they're a great addition if done well. I like them to be challenges - things I probably wouldn't have thought to do on my own. It's amazing what a dumb little challenge will get you to do and how much replay value it will add. Things like going through the first level of a game using only a pistol or going the first minute without firing a shot... they just add tiny bits of added replay value. Cheap, sure, but still bring me back longer than I'd otherwise be there.
I can imagine achievements with a game like Hitman. Actually, Blood Money had achievements of sorts, it was just difficult to know how you got them. A game like Hitman lends itself to replay, doing weird or silly things. But a standard FPS like Halo? When I replay FPS's, I always find myself playing the same way. Every time I replay Half Life, for example, I try to keep the various Barneys alive. I replay FPS for the story and gameplay, not to try some silly trick. But a game like Hitman is fun to try with different solutions, since it actually affords you that opportunity. What fun is it to play a FPS again using only one weapon?

Hey zirik, if Halo multiplayer was just ripoffs of marathon, what was UT2K4 ripoffs of? 2K3? UT? Unreal? Quake? Doom?

I never had any real lag issues. Never had any real bug issues. And the weapons, maps and vehicles were so far better than UT2K4. I hated the vehicles in 2K4, they had such awful feel. But the Banshee and Warthog, particularly the Warthog, were great.
Okay, now I've heard it all. I'll admit that UT2k4's weapons weren't the finest ones ever to be seen in a FPS, but Halo's were complete crap. From the limited time I spent controlling vehicles in Halo, I'd say the vehicles in UT2k4 were far better too.

If Halo is truly the pinnacle of console FPS games, then that's just more proof that the genre belongs on the PC. Even the mediocre shooters on the PC are better than Halo.

24. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2007, 09:27 Riley Pizt

Now that Vista is cracked, I am sure you will see lots more Vista gamers online in the next 4 months.
Even if it were free, I wouldn't upgrade to Vista because I have plenty of peripheral devices such as printers, scanners, webcams, and game controllers that won't work with Vista. Why should I have to spend hundreds of dollars on new peripherals when all of my current ones are still in good working order? When Microsoft buys me all new peripherals or writes drivers for all of these, then I will consider upgrading to Vista.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 09:28.

23. Re: ... Mar 7, 2007, 08:51 toon

Yeah "fuck microsoft". " I will not support companies that screw over PC users like this (especially Microsoft". Blah blah blah.

Said the person running Windows Vista, just released and not needed for *anything* at the moment.

GG.
This comment was edited on Mar 7, 08:52.

22. No subject Mar 7, 2007, 08:43 dagger

Now that Vista is cracked, I am sure you will see lots more Vista gamers online in the next 4 months.

21. ... Mar 7, 2007, 04:00 theyarecomingforyou

I don't care what anyone says (and they all say I'm insane), Halo PC was lightyears better than UT2K4. The vehicles just felt so much better.
The vehicles were better, because UT2k4 had shit vehicle physics / design. However, Halo PC was shit and certainly not even close to UT2k4, let alone better. It ran poorly, had hugely outdated graphics, was slow paced and had poor level design.

As for Halo 2... fuck Microsoft. If they couldn't deliver it in a reasonable timeframe they shouldn't have bothered - then they decide to screw everyone over by making it Vista exclusive. It's okay for me because I'm already on Vista but that doesn't help the other 99% of gamers that want to play it - if I was to get it I'd have barely anyone to play against online. I certainly won't be buying it, even if it was the best game in the world - I will not support companies that screw over PC users like this (especially Microsoft, who made the PC platform what it is!).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo