Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2: Episode Two Delayed Again

Valve and EA officially announce the two retail configurations for Half-Life 2: Episode Two, the Black Box, with Episode Two, Portal, and TeamFortress 2, and the Orange box, which bundles all that Episode Two-ness with Episode One and the original Half-Life 2. The announcement offers Fall 2007 as the release date for both boxes, which represents a delay from the previous release date of Summer 2007 (story). Here's word:

Redwood City, Calif. –February 7, 2007– Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS), the world’s leading interactive entertainment company, and Valve®, the award-winning studio behind the blockbuster franchises Half-Life® and Counter-Strike®, today announced the naming and product configurations The Black Box and The Orange Box, two of the most anticipated action game offerings shipping worldwide in Fall 2007.

The Black Box will ship for the PC, and includes Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Portal and Team Fortress 2. The Orange Box will ship for the PC, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, and Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system, and includes all the content of The Black Box, plus the original Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode One.

Innovative games included in The Black Box and The Orange Box include:

• Half-Life 2: Episode Two -- the second installment in Valve’s episodic trilogy advances the award-winning story, leading the player to new locations outside of City 17.
        • Portal -- a pioneering type of single player action game that rewrites the rules for how players approach and manipulate their environment – much like how Half-Life 2’s Gravity Gun reinvented the way gamers interact with objects in the game.
        • Team Fortress 2 -- an all-new version of the legendary title that spawned team based multiplayer action games. The game’s daring new art style features the most advanced graphics of any Source-based game released to date.

“In less than 18 months, we’ve shipped 10 new products to retail outlets with EA Partners,” said Gabe Newell, co-founder of Valve. “The Black Box and The Orange Box represent a new approach to publishing multiple products, on multiple platforms and we know through our experience that no organization in the industry is better equipped to successfully launch new product types on multiple platforms than EA Partners.”

“Valve is one of the world’s premiere independent developers and EA Partners is thrilled to help them bring the groundbreaking action games in The Orange Box and The Black Box to market as their publishing partner,” said David DeMartini, vice president and general manager of EA Partners.

The Black Box and The Orange Box are targeted for release in Fall 2007. For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

34. Re: ... Feb 7, 2007, 18:10 DeaderMeat

I honestly think EP1 was the victim of too much playtesting. Listening to the commentary they keep talking about how many things were changed to teach players the skills they would need later (e.g. push the car in the hole) - and how they kept tweaking and refining the thing.

I'm sure that's a great way to remove all the quirky/interesting/unexpected things from the game. I imagine HL1 would have been crap if they'd done the same thing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. No subject Feb 7, 2007, 18:06 DangerDog

So we're back to pushing boxes into retail space which is virtually nonexistent for the PC?

That should work out well.

32. Re: ... Feb 7, 2007, 17:30 SM0k3

Tanto Edge, hah yea I've already hit that stage...most games except Racing games feel that way and I'd be lucky if a game held my attention for longer than 15mins before I get bored of it....damn im getting old lol....

31. Re: ... Feb 7, 2007, 17:16 Tanto Edge

lol
I hate to break it to you, but as us gamers get older, more of these games will seem tedious and repetitive.
How many possible stories are there in Hollywood?
Something like twelve? Anybody know for sure?

Anyhow, Ep1 was good considering, yes it was short and yes it had gimmecky minigames.
So do all the other first person story driven games out there. They're all copying this
When Halo 3 comes out, just try and tell me it's not the same mind numbing shoot'em up it always has been.

Portal looks great, and Team Fortress 2 seems like it'll be evidence that Duke Nukem Forever will eventually be shipped
What do you mean I'm being too positive?

EditAddon:
Alright, here's the beef...

“In less than 18 months, we’ve shipped 10 new products to retail outlets with EA Partners,” said Gabe Newell.

This stuff was developed mostly by mod groups and had little to nothing to do with Valve. Furthermore, their Steam platform is nothing more than a control and advertisement device. But we knew that much already.

“The Black Box and The Orange Box represent a new approach to publishing multiple products, on multiple platforms"

Not really. Lots of games do this sort of shit, what they don't all do (but some do) is ship multiple types of games. Meaning Tetris and Mario 1 and 2 together, rather than Mario 1, 2, and 3 altogether.

"...and we know through our experience that no organization in the industry is better equipped to successfully launch new product types on multiple platforms than EA Partners.”

Meaning, EA is king shit at marketing shit. This we knew already as well. EA is great at releasing absolute crap for the masses to swallow like so much semen in downtown Vegas.

“Valve is one of the world’s premiere independent developers and EA Partners is thrilled to help them bring the groundbreaking action games in The Orange Box and The Black Box to market as their publishing partner,” said David DeMartini.

This cracks me up because it's basically like saying, "These guys do what we pretend to do, and we can't beat them or buy them. So we're happy they're letting us taste their pie."

Waitaminute.. One of the worlds premiere... I can only guess who they'd define as second banana...
Well they sure as hell aren't. They're not even a fucking developer! They're a clearing house for other people's stuff!
This comment was edited on Feb 7, 17:29.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

30. No subject Feb 7, 2007, 17:15 Nameless Again

So...riddle me this, Batman. Why does it take twice as long to get half the content nowadays?? Half-life 1 was released 11/98 and Opposing Force on 10/99, which offered hours of more gameplay than Ep 1. And OpFor even included new weapons and monsters on top of new level design.

And I don't want to hear crap answers like the tech has advanced and it takes more time. BS. Get your head out of your ass, Valve. Just finish up HL3 and release it already.

29. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 17:13 SM0k3

I agree, they should just release the damned thing(TF2) already....been waiting since HL1 =X

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 17:14.

28. ... Feb 7, 2007, 17:12 theyarecomingforyou

Just make EP:2 as good as EP:1 and I'll be happy.
Do that and I'll be pissed off. EP1 was far too short, devoid of any story (and what little there was had been forced together just to fit), absurdly linear (to the point of tedium), was full of gimmicky sub-games and was a thorough disappointment. I was appalled by how many positive reviews they got. They didn't progress the genre/game/universe, instead they played it safe and milked people (myself included).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

27. ... Feb 7, 2007, 17:08 theyarecomingforyou

I love how Valve stated that episodic content was the future and then proceeded to fuck it up so royally. These "episodes" are just expansion packs renamed and even then they're done really poorly. I will almost certainly buy it for Team Fortress 2 alone but I am fed up with Valve and their constant delays and content-lacking games (CS-Source, DOD-Source, Ep1 were all missing far too much content at launch).

I wish Crytek the best of luck and hope that they can knock down Valve a couple of pegs by showing them how to make an impressive game and within a reasonable timeframe.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

26. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 16:53 SirKnight

Who wants to bet EP2 will be delayed into 2008? It actually wouldn't surprise me.

At this rate, EP3 will come out by the time Vista is old and MS's next OS is out with DX11...or hell, even 12.

And Duke Nukem Forever will still be in development...

25. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 16:45 Krovven

Well it certainly is a shame, and a disappointment, that it has been delayed yet again pushing the gap between releases to over a year. I have no doubt this is due to them wanting to release across multiple platforms at once..hopefully they have learned their lesson and won't do it again.

But I don't live my life around game release dates, so I don't really care. It'll be released when it's released, and I'll buy it and play it when it does.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Day of Defeat Source.

24. Woohoo! Feb 7, 2007, 16:32 /FÂ\ SLI

..Duke Freeman Forever!!

23. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 16:28 MMORPGHoD

Didn't they already delay this to Q4 2007? I'm confused.

Clicking on the story linked in the news brurb, the last article said it was delayed until summer 2007.

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=72735

When I hear "summer 2007", I'm thinking June/July/Aug. Q4 2007 for most companies is Oct/Nov/Dec.. which is not summer 2007. It's probably not the last delay annoucement either. Why care? *shrugs*, something to talk about I suppose. Although I'm sure that some people would not have bothered with HL2:EP1 if they knew they'd need to wait a year and half for the next installment, especially after the latest SiN episodes failure.

Being spammed to a forum near you, www.hammiestudios.com .. complain here at www.siteadvisor.com/sites/hammiestudios.com
hammiestudios this buddy !
This comment was edited on Feb 7, 16:29.

22. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 16:25 SpectralMeat

I thought the whole point of this episodic content was to release games sooner than full blown retail games. Well that obviously does not work out the way it was intended to.

Steam: SpectralMeat

21. No subject Feb 7, 2007, 16:16 Hump

I think it was assumed that the game wasn't going to be released until Fall to begin with. I certainly didn't expect it until the end of summer at the earliest.

Just make EP:2 as good as EP:1 and I'll be happy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

20. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 16:08 Elf Shot The Food

Not a big deal to me, since I found HL2 to be rather underwhelming.

19. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 16:06 MeatForce

I still have yet to find a reason why game delays actually matter at all. Especially to those of us who merely consume them.

Life goes on, and when the games are out... you play them. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.
www.hammiestudios.com is nothing but motherfucking spam. Try www.stileproject.com instead.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

18. No subject Feb 7, 2007, 16:05 Kamakazie

Didn't they already delay this to Q4 2007? I'm confused.

17. No subject Feb 7, 2007, 15:59 strich

It's delayed again so they could decide on the color of their boxes?

wankers

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

16. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 15:54 Masa

Way to go, Gabe! I see time management skills are still top notch at Valve.

The School of Broussard of has touched many unfortunate souls who have derived inspiration from it.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R., DNF, Hellgate: London, bleh....

15. No subject Feb 7, 2007, 15:50 nightfend

Way to kill a series Valve. Good Job!

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo