Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis and Older PCs

Crytek: Crysis Will Run on 2-3 y.o. Rigs on Next Generation offers reassurances that Crysis will run on older machines, since so much of the discussion of Crytek's upcoming shooter focuses on its cutting edge DirectX 10 support. They quote Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli, who does warn against spoiling the DirectX 9 experience by getting a look at it playing under DirectX 10:

We work hard to give everyone a great experience," he states. "You should not miss anything when [only] playing it on DX9, but if you get a chance to play it on DX10 you might [miss the fidelity when going back to DX9].

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2007, 21:28 Riley Pizt

He didn't say anything about the game being released in "2-3" years
neither did I. My point is that 2-3 years from today is NOT the same as 2-3 years from a year from now when the game might be released.

so all indications are he meant "2-3 year old rigs" from today.
No, that is not indicated by his comment. He simply stated that the game will be playable on 2-3 year old PC's. He didn't specify from when, and it is more likely that it will be from the date of release rather than today since he said "will be" not "is."

Definite clarification on this point from him is still needed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2007, 14:01 Masa

Is that 2-3 year old rigs from today, or 2-3 years old when the game is finally released?

Cevat Yerli made the following comment:

...We believe clearly that Crysis will be enjoyed by a large audience that dates back to gamers with two- to three-year-old gaming rigs."

He didn't say anything about the game being released in "2-3" years so all indications are he meant "2-3 year old rigs" from today. That and he comments on the difference in playing between DX 9/10, essentially saying if you're going play the game cheaply, you probably don't want to see what you're missing in the upper-scale range settings.

What amuses me is all comments lamenting the game to be a "Vista exclusive" when it's been stated numerous times (and again here) the thing will run DX9 (which isn't exclusive to Vista, IIRC).

40. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 00:05 Jerykk

All you had to do was walk along the river, ducking most of the way, and you'd make it to a downed helicopter with a chaingun turret and more supplies.

Haha, yeah, I figured that out after a few tries.

39. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 18:43 Evil Timmy

Far Cry's most brilliant moment, the one that truly realized the potential of the game, was the level Rebellion. There were three distinct paths through the map, a few more secret ones, and many sub-variations on each. The open areas where pitched battles went on were awesome, and gave huge amounts of tactical freedom. The map itself was beautiful and varied, and much of that design is what lent itself to the myriad ways to play through the map and experiences to be had. Along with Half-Life (up until Xen), System Shock 2, and Deus Ex, it's on the shortlist of FPSes I happily and repeatedly replay.

As for that bit in Far Cry with the trigens and getting dumped with no ammo...ehh...it _was_ easy. All you had to do was walk along the river, ducking most of the way, and you'd make it to a downed helicopter with a chaingun turret and more supplies. If you wanted to take your time and plan out an attack with your limited ammo, it was doable with a bit of trial and error (that's what quickload is for), you just had to find one of a few nearby stashes of weapons quickly. They were trying to move away from the masses of firepower you could dish out and force somewhat different strategy for at least some of the game, and although it may have been questionable, it wasn't abysmal, just required you to adapt to changing circumstances for a bit.

38. No subject Feb 7, 2007, 15:48 nightfend

Crysis will run on an older machine, but the graphics will be set so low it will look like you are playing the original half life.

37. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 09:19 Reactor

Oblivion felt more like a first-person melee game with RPG elements.

I agree, but people say fps because it's a gaming fad word, instead of fpm

36. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 09:18 The Half Elf

As much as I love a game like Serious Sam, I did enjoy that folliage, using silenced weapons, and rocks played a huge part of how you could tackle the game in Far Cry.

Yeah it's number one selling feature was the large great looking outdoor levels set on tropical isles that had lush jungles, but the AI was great, how you could approach objectives was great as well.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

35. No subject Feb 7, 2007, 09:16 Riley Pizt

Crytek: Crysis Will Run on 2-3 y.o. Rigs on Next Generation
Is that 2-3 year old rigs from today, or 2-3 years old when the game is finally released? By the time the game is out, that difference will not be trivial.

34. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 09:10 wMute

I'd say the opposite.

Oblivion felt more like a first-person melee game with RPG elements.

33. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 09:01 Reactor

Just to confuse you, Oblivion is an rpg with fps elements, because it's more of an rpg than a shooter. SS2 and Deus Ex are more shooters than rpgs, and that's why it's more correct to call them fps games, if you're going to be black and white about what you call them. What is an rpg anyway? An fps is fairly easy to define (first person, shooting, etc) but asian 'rpgs' are just stories with a few stat tweaking elements, while western rpgs are often games with elements taken from the original non-computer based role playing games, where you actually had to play a role.

Anyway, everything's just a big jumbled mess

EDIT: I love the additions to the quote above. I couldn't help read it as...

"You should not miss anything when [being a complete loser you're only] playing it on DX9, but if you get a chance to play it on DX10 you might [miss the uber-amazing awesomeness when going back to loserish DX9].
This comment was edited on Feb 7, 09:06.

32. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 08:53 Buttercup

So by your logic Oblivion is an FPS.

Technically, isn't it? It is a game where most of the shots are taken from the first-person perspective. Therefore, on a literal interpretation of the label, it's a first-person shooter, just like Deus Ex.

Edit: I suck at italics.
This comment was edited on Feb 7, 08:57.

31. dimpusize your meal? Feb 7, 2007, 08:48 Buttercup

This sounds like they're barely conceding anything to DX10. They're trying not to piss off and alienate the fanbase by saying "OMG DX9 is teh sux0r" and instead acting like salesmen pushing a barely superior product over a nearly-equal but less expensive one. I don't want a large Farva, I want a goddamn liter of cola.

I'm glad I bought a new computer when I did (October). The reassurance from developers that the game will still run on your minimum-spec machine is the "don't worry, this happens to a lot of guys" of PC gaming.

30. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 08:41 Elf Shot The Food

So by your logic Oblivion is an FPS.

29. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 08:35 Reactor

System Shock 2 and Deus Ex aren't FPSes anyways. They're RPGs.

No, they're first person shooters with rpg elements. 90% of those games are shooting from the first person perspective. The other 10% is upgrading your gun or a few basic chatacter stats.

It's interesting to hear people liked Farcry. All I've heard over the last few years is people talking about how crappy it was in the gameplay department. For myself, I didn't play any more than the demo because the graphics looked a heck of a lot like Lands of Lore to me, with ugly sprite plants and badly textured and lit terrain. Obviously Crysis looks much better... but I'm not holding out for it to be playable on my old FX5600... or for it to have amazing gameplay.

Nolf 2 multiplayer- the best.

28. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 08:06  famished 

Funny thing is, online, you say something like that and people laugh and call you a noob

Noob.

27. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 07:50 Elf Shot The Food

System Shock 2 and Deus Ex aren't FPSes anyways. They're RPGs.

26. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 06:02 Jerykk

Ahh yes, obviously, since noone is doing the whole "difficulty sliders" things anymore.

It seems you managed to miss the point of both his post and mine. He was complaining about that one specific level in Far Cry where you get dropped into a jungle filled with very dangerous mutants and only one bullet to spare. This is a level design challenge, not a difficulty slider challenge. Difficulty sliders only adjust the amount of damage you give out, the amount of damage enemies give you and, on occasion, their accuracy. In this case, difficulty sliders wouldn't have made any difference because you only have one bullet and are badly outnumbered.

The issue isn't a matter of damage values and accuracy, it's a matter of the developers presenting the player with challenging level design. This isn't something that can be resolved with a slider, so it becomes a matter of who the designers cater towards: the young or the aging. Like I said before, I'd prefer they cater towards the young because I enjoy a good challenge.

25. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 05:06 Cpmartins

Ahh yes, obviously, since noone is doing the whole "difficulty sliders" things anymore. Too complex to code, takes dev time from teh graphix.

24. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 04:46 Jerykk

My gaming ability started to decline when I graduated college (Nine years this summer) so I've been slowly sliding downhill since then in terms of reflexes & patience.

Ah, but now we have the classic dilemma: Do developers make games easier for the aging crowd or do they keep them challenging for the younger crowd? Personally, I think the latter is the only reasonable choice. God knows games are simplified enough as it is. If you don't think you can keep up, you should probably switch to a different genre or a different hobby altogether.

23. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 04:03 Icewind

Well, I am pretty masochistic. Still, I don't see anything wrong with the mutants. It's not like they were invincible or had unavoidable attacks. Now, if you want a genuinely annoying enemy, fight the last boss in Omikron. Cheapest boss evar.

I didn't have anything wrong with the enemy mutants, not at all. My gripe, which I described in detail in an earlier post, was the scene in which you are dropped off with a sliver of health and a few bullets, and have to run through a jungle full of them.

Funny thing is, online, you say something like that and people laugh and call you a noob (Wait for it, it'll come to this thread!) and brag about how they coasted through it on their first try. I'm fine with that, but I had three FPS-fan friends who I gave the game to after I was done, and they all quit after getting to that very same part.

While it may seem like nothing to you (and I envy you greatly for having that ability), to the older crowd, it just isn't something we have patience for. My gaming ability started to decline when I graduated college (Nine years this summer) so I've been slowly sliding downhill since then in terms of reflexes & patience.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo