Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New NVIDIA ForceWare Vista Drivers

New version 100.54 ForceWare reference drivers are now available for NVIDIA video cards. There are Windows Vista 32-bit drivers and Windows Vista 64-bit drivers, but nothing for other flavors of Windows at this time.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2007, 09:19 nin

You guys rely way too heavily on bechmarks. Vista runs much snappier for me than XP on the same hardware.

Oh, delicious placebo...

-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.richardcheese.com/ http://www.myspace.com/richardcheese
www.hammiestudios.com is nothing but motherfucking spam. Try www.stileproject.com instead.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2007, 05:06 CreamyBlood

I won't be paying to downgrade my performance.

No kidding. Why would anyone want to downgrade their system for $200 just to install a bunch of DRM and a draconian licsensing scheme that makes it almost impossible to upgrade your hardware with the 'OEM' version. Whatever. And people actually line up at midnight for this privilege.

Wait a year or two for the patches and drivers. Or go buy it, I don't care.

19. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2007, 04:35 Animals for Crackers

Why don't you actually try a clean install of Vista for yourself instead of blindly following benchmarks?

You said yourself that at the moment, Vista can't keep up with XP even if just by alittle bit. Which is what most of the benchmarks are claiming. Why would people go and "blindly" buy a product without some research or sort of pseudo-assurance that it's worth their hard-earned dollar? I won't be paying to downgrade my performance.

Until there's some evidence of marginal gains from having Vista on my system I'll stick with XP, thank you.

18. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2007, 01:04 Cabezone

there is zero reason for a gamer to upgrade to vista anytime soon. Early adoption of a new OS leads to mroe headaces than it's worth. There's isn't even drivers for half my hardware.

"There's always money in the banana stand." - George Sr.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

17. Re: No subject Jan 30, 2007, 22:23 tbrownren

Out of curiosity, how are games performing in Vista for you? I've seen mixed results, though most benchmarks (that I've seen, anyway) tend to show Vista as having a performance penalty (severe in a handful of cases). Have you noticed a similar trend or does it seem on par with XP?

You guys rely way too heavily on bechmarks. Vista runs much snappier for me than XP on the same hardware. (E6600 Core 2 Duo, 7900GT, 2GB DDR2). It makes sense because it actually takes advantage of my memory unlike XP. Game performance is not as good as XP but what do you expect with such shitty drivers? Once Nvidia and ATI get a real driver out then game performance will be on par if not better than XP.

Which hardware would that be? And do you have some benchmarks to back that up? The XP vs Vista article I read says otherwise when it comes to games and decent hardware.

Why don't you actually try a clean install of Vista for yourself instead of blindly following benchmarks? Like I said before the only reason why game performance is not as good is because of the drivers. It's not Microsoft's fault that Nvidia and ATI fucked around for months and still have not produced a complete Vista driver. Everybody has this negative feeling about Vista thanks to a few choice websites on the internet. Is Vista worth the 5 year wait? Of course not.. but when you consider they basically started over 2.5 years ago I'd say the final product is worth it. Buy OEM and the most you'll spend is 200 dollars for the Ultimate Edition.

16. Re: lets get real Jan 30, 2007, 20:23 reginald

When you can find any other company that has an OS that has to cover 90 percent of the computers in the world let me know about it. Considering what Microsoft is handling they are doing as good a job as any rational person can expect. Look at the Apple they control almost all the hardware that there OS is on. Thats a very easy way to seem like you have a very stable OS people. I personally blame the hardware makers for not having the drivers ready for prime time.

15. Re: ... Jan 30, 2007, 18:57 HardCore

Haven't you heard you won't need good drivers.
Microsoft is disabling hardware video acceleration in Vista and will give you uber quality software 3D.

14. Re: ... Jan 30, 2007, 18:28 Bone43

"Hahaha... he said "Apple or Linux gaming machine". Hahaha. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Gotta love 'em n00bs..."

Is this from a 12 year old M$ fanboy?

That said I see no reason to pay a shit load of money for Vi$ta until theres a reason which at this time I see none?

Of course M$ would like us to think we cant live without Vi$ta and that all future games will be Vi$ta only but I find it hard to believe developers/publishers other than maybe M$ are going to go that route anytime soon there are just to many XP users out there which equals lots of money.

13. Re: ... Jan 30, 2007, 17:46 Brick

I've added Suse 10.2 and Ubuntu 6.10 onto a second hard drive a few weeks back and I'm having some fun with 'em. Linux has come along way but it still has a way to go. Hardware support is still an issue but generic drivers usually do the job. Credit to Nvidia for it's driver support. God help you if you're trying to enable 3d on an ATI card.

For avid gamers WINE won't do and forget about Cedega (questionable performance, doesn't support every game and for it's cost you may as well pick up a base version of Windows and enjoy the game properly). But there's always hope.

It's a shame that institutions, namely school boards, don't adopt Linux.

12. Re: ... Jan 30, 2007, 17:01 MindTrigger

CJ, what are you like 11 years old? Call people n00bs when you grow hair on that little nub of skin you call your balls, junior.

You did note that I said *I'm hoping* and *In the future* right? I do this stuff for a living, and I've been gaming online since there was an "online". I plan to support ANY organization that wants to move gaming out of the bullshit Windows OS arena. Until then, I will be forced to use XP/Vista with the rest of you poor bastards.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 17:03.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

11. Re: ... Jan 30, 2007, 16:53 CJ_Parker

I'm hoping I can have a good Apple or Linux gaming machine

Hahaha... he said "Apple or Linux gaming machine". Hahaha. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Gotta love 'em n00bs...

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

10. ... Jan 30, 2007, 16:47 theyarecomingforyou

nVidia should stop messing around with these shitty graphics drivers and get their act together. Perhaps we could also get some chipset drivers, if it's not too much trouble.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

9. Re: not the first choice for gamers Jan 30, 2007, 16:45 MindTrigger

I'm with you, Cheese. I'm not leaving XP until I see that Vista is truly worth it. I'm already pissed about the DX10 bullshit, especially since there is no technical reason not to make it available under XP.

As a side note, all of this BS has really pushed me into looking at Linux and OSx. I installed Ubuntu on one of my laptops and I'm screwing around with Beryl and XGL right now. I'm also planning to remove windows from one of my PowerEdge servers at work and put Linux on it.

In the past I only messed around with Linux until I got bored with it. Now I'm serious about making it a regular part of my life, and relying on Windows only when needed. I'm hoping I can have a good Apple or Linux gaming machine in the future, and Windows will be demoted to my secondary computer instead of my primary. Microsoft is something I HAVE to deal with for now, but I'm looking for a way out.

This is an especially big deal for me because I've been a Windows Network Admin since like '92 and always enjoyed it until now.
This comment was edited on Jan 30, 16:52.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

8. Re: not the first choice for gamers Jan 30, 2007, 16:31 Hornet303

And interestingly enough, beta drivers for Vista dated back in Oct worked fine for my 5900XT (I know, shitty card, but for normal desktop work its fine), supports Aero and all that goodness.

When the newer WHQL drivers came out a bit ago, I went to install them and errors out saying no devices found that support this driver. Looking at the Nvidia site, it seems they are supprting 6/7/8 geforces..

Bummer for me I guess

7. not the first choice for gamers Jan 30, 2007, 16:03 Cheese

Is what ive heard so far. on all the tests that were done it barely keeps up with XP.

Im bummed about it, just got a 8800 card and a new CPU XE6800 but so far im sticking with Dx9 and XP till i see a reason to do otherwise.

6. Re: No subject Jan 30, 2007, 15:46 MMORPGHoD

Or an operating system that runs better than XP on my hardware?

Which hardware would that be? And do you have some benchmarks to back that up? The XP vs Vista article I read says otherwise when it comes to games and decent hardware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/

Even ignoring the god awful OpenGL results you get under Vista, it's still either break even or slightly lower performance than under XP.

Being spammed to a forum near you, www.hammiestudios.com .. complain here at www.siteadvisor.com/sites/hammiestudios.com/
hammiestudios this buddy !

5. Re: No subject Jan 30, 2007, 15:45 Darth Binky

an operating system that runs better than XP on my hardware

Out of curiosity, how are games performing in Vista for you? I've seen mixed results, though most benchmarks (that I've seen, anyway) tend to show Vista as having a performance penalty (severe in a handful of cases). Have you noticed a similar trend or does it seem on par with XP?

The darkness is coming!
http://www.darknessamongthestars.com

4. Re: No subject Jan 30, 2007, 15:30 tbrownren

for a bloated OS that has shitty performance. Seems like a good match.

Or an operating system that runs better than XP on my hardware? But how dare it use some of that expensive RAM I bought?!

Nvidia had months to make a proper driver and here we are still waiting.

3. Re: No subject Jan 30, 2007, 15:13 Darth Binky

the driver they have been promising for weeks is the same shitty one we had days ago...
for a bloated OS that has shitty performance. Seems like a good match.

Actually, rumor has it a new beta driver will be out in the next few days. I'm guessing this one is just a stop-gap effort since Vista is officially available now.

The darkness is coming!
http://www.darknessamongthestars.com

2. Re: No subject Jan 30, 2007, 15:09 Wes

and no SLI support....nvidia has really f'ed up this launch...

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo