Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Lord of the Rings Online Preorders

Turbine and Midway Unveil Revolutionary Pre-Order Founder's Program for The Lord of the Rings Online(TM) provides details on the preorder program for Turbine's upcoming Tolkien-inspired MMORPG. Word is that in addition to typical incentives, this program will offer a discounted subscription price:

This exciting Founder's Program rewards all players who pre-order The Lord of the Rings Online with special $9.99 monthly subscription pricing, early access to the game (beta version), character roll-over and unique in-game bonus items. Players can become a Founder by pre-ordering the title at www.lotro.com/preorder or at retail stores nationwide beginning February 1, 2007. This limited-time offer is exclusively available to pre-order customers.

View
23. Re: Turbine... Jan 26, 2007, 16:11 Kxmode

@MindTrigger

Well comparing LOTRO (which is beta) to WOW (which has been out for 2-years and has an expansion) is a little unfair.

But in terms of fundamental gameplay your statement is accurate but not the same as WOW. Turbine is overly emphasizing PVE, and merely adding PVP because it's a requirement in today's MMO's. Additionally Turbine is introducing really long chain quests called story quests with chapters and sub-chapters. These quests run concurrent to the novels. So while Frodo, Sam, and the fellowship are off adventuring you can aid their mission and journey to the same places they did; even being able to participate in an important step the Fellowship needs to complete their journey.

LOTRO's one gleaming aspect is that it's casual oriented. There's lots of content and quests... more than enough to solo. Or if you wish you can create a fellowship. LOTRO system benefits both solo and fellowships. For example fellowships have something called conjunctions that let all members jointly cast spells or summon creatures. Burglars are mainly the trigger points for these. When a conjunction is initiated you'll see big red, green, blue, and yellow buttons. As you might expect a combination of colors achieves different spells and summons. The most popular choice I've seen is an all-red conjunction that summons a ghostly Ent.

From the books and expanded universe LOTRO has a wealth of information to tap into. Because of this Turbine has made an interesting decision to center the launch game in the region of Eriador. This region covers the western mountains east to the Misty Mountains, and from Angmar in the North to the Southern Downs. It's a huge area broken up into WOW-like zones: The Shire, Bree-land, North Downs, and Lonely Lands, Ettenmores, Angmar and so forth. Here's a map I map for my guildmates which shows most of the POI in Bree-land.

http://www.kxmode.com/lotro/Bree-map-with-POIs.jpg

All of that sounds like praise, and it is, but I recently bought WOWBC. It has stolen me away from LOTRO. BC adds so much new content that WOW is addictive again; more addictive than LOTRO. The biggest downside with LOTRO is that it has this "yeah it's cool" aura but it never seems to get to the "damn this is freaking awesome" plateau. The game seems too much by-the-numbers to me. Other than fellowship conjunctions nothing really new has been introduced. I have guildmates who swear its way better than WOW evening claiming it's the greatest MMO ever made. At this point I'm a little skeptical. All I know is trying to overthrow WOW will be about as difficult as Sam and Frodo's journey to Mount Doom.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode
This comment was edited on Jan 26, 16:20.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jan 25, 10:37 Turbine... Tumbler
  14. Jan 25, 15:24  Re: Turbine... Kxmode
  16. Jan 25, 16:14   Re: Turbine... MindTrigger
>> 23. Jan 26, 16:11    Re: Turbine... Kxmode
  24. Jan 27, 23:10     Re: Turbine... CreamyBlood
  2. Jan 25, 11:02 No subject xXBatmanXx
  3. Jan 25, 11:31  Re: No subject Joss
  4. Jan 25, 12:03   Re: No subject Cabezone
  5. Jan 25, 12:35   Re: No subject Tango
  6. Jan 25, 12:40    Re: No subject AnarKane