Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Blizzard's Next MMORPG

Empire offers an interview with Blizzard's Itzik Ben Bassat on the topic of World of Warcraft (thanks Kotaku). The final answer offers the obvious point that with over 8 million WoW subscribers, they are not looking to create the same game again in a remark that does indicate plans to further explore the MMORPG market in the future:

When we announce our next MMORPG it’s not going to be another WoW - we’re not a company that tends to tread the same ground. It’ll be something innovative and new that really brings entertainment to another level.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Haha Jan 24, 2007, 00:21 Beamer

Duke 3D was released in 1996.. Shadow Warrior was '97.

I know. Plus expansion packs. Plus numerous plublished games.

It was just an easy joke to throw in.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 23:35 Jerykk

Michael Bay kicks ass and Transformes is going to be friggin awesome but BB2 was a TERRIBLE MOVIE.

I thought BB2 was great. It had everything I look for in an action movie, mainly, really brutal-looking deaths. I can't remember how many times the audience said "Oooohh, shit!" when I watched the movie in theaters. That's always a good sign when watching an action movie. In fact, I'd dare say that Bay is probably the master of the "Pwnt" in action films. He has the ability to make even simple hits look extraordinarily devastating. Other scenes had me laughing which is another rare feat. I'll concede that the movie ran a bit too long but hardly enough to tarnish an otherwise highly entertaining action flick.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 23:39.

26. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 21:19 Undead Scottsman

3D Realms has made no games since 1995.

Duke 3D was released in 1996.. Shadow Warrior was '97.

25. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 20:34 Syntarsus

As much as I think Blizzard is highly overrated, I wouldn't go so far as to compare them with Michael Bay. The man hasn't made a single decent movie. The Island and The Rock were somewhat watchable (with enough alcohol) and that's about the best you can say about that hack. He's the 21st century Hal Needham.

As for Blizzard, they deserve praise for knowing how to cater to the masses and having stable programming, and the production values of their games are very good, but their interface just flat out sucks (talking about Diabacle and the RTScraft games here). Waaaaaay too much clicking and way too stuck in 1995.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 20:35.

24. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 20:15 Toughnut

World of Babecraft

23. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 19:28 The Half Elf

*slits Tumblers throat for the Transformer comment*

And don't EVEN make me bring up your history of BF2 Fanboi'ism!

Transformers were on Mars my fucking ass!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

22. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 18:46 Tumbler

...Michael Bay and he's directed some good action movies... Bad Boys 2...

You are crazy. I loved the other movies you mentioned but BB2 sucked. Every 5 min a cadavre would roll across the screen or fly out of a car. WTF was with all the cadavre's!?

Michael Bay kicks ass and Transformes is going to be friggin awesome but BB2 was a TERRIBLE MOVIE.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

21. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 18:39 dubfanatic

I didn't find anything easy about Warcraft and Starcraft... but that's probably because I'm RTS illiterate. I need turns!

20. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 18:09 pgoeleven

I meant that his movies are always so... "easy" I guess. Same as the Blizzard games y'know.

19. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 17:54 Jerykk

It's actually Michael Bay and he's directed some good action movies. Bad Boys 1 & 2, The Rock, Armageddon, etc. He's also produced some movies, though these have tended to be poor horror remakes.

I fail to see the comparison between Blizzard and Michael Bay, though. Michael Bay doesn't milk his franchises to death. There are only two Bad Boys, one Armageddon, one Rock, one Island, etc.

18. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 17:39 Mr. Tact

Ok, I'll bite. Who the hell is Michel Bay?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 17:30 pgoeleven

"Valve has made one game since 1998. Id has made one game since 1991. 3D Realms has made no games since 1995."

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

"we’re not a company that tends to tread the same ground"

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Blizzard is the Michel Bay of the games industry.

16. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 16:50 The Half Elf

Halo but what WoW lacks in high tech buzzword graphics it more then makes up for with.. whats the phrase I'm looking for.... artwork panache?

We had this debate awhile ago here on the forums. While Everquest 2 may be more technically advanced graphics wise, overall it suffers from everyone wearing the same stuff in 5 different colors, not to mention everything looks like plastic.
While WoW looks cartoon'ish I think it has superior art direction.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Blizzard Jan 23, 2007, 15:55 Grasman

If there is one game developer that I respect, it's Blizzard. The Lost Vikings was an ingenious co-op platform game. Warcraft was the groundbreaking RTS (yes I know that Dune came first, but Warcraft really defined the genre). Diablo was a great point and click action RPG, and is another wildly popular game that is still copied by many developers. Starcraft is a masterpiece of a RTS, and I don't need to say anything about World of Warcraft.

But what I like and respect most about Blizzard are their self-imposed standards of quality. Warcraft Adventures simply didn't measure up, so they canned it. They certainly could have released a mediocre adventure game and it would have sold decently, but they didn't. Starcraft: Ghost has been delayed and delayed some more as they try to get it up to snuff.

Blizzard was lucky enough to have made their money early on before developers became extremely reliant on publishers for funding, and have used the resulting artistic freedom to really get things right before they release a game. Looking at that list of releases, every single game from Blizzard since 1995 has been a quality release (except Justice League Task Force, I never played that). What other developer can make that claim?

14. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 15:03 Cutter

C'mon we all know it'll be a Diablo MOG or SC MOG. Blizzard most certainly does tread the same ground.

"I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!"
- Cal Naughton, Jr., Talladega Nights

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 12:43 Halo

I remember back in the day the anticipation my friends and I had for new Blizzard games. Just everything about the games were amazing and blew everybody away.
The thing that's the best about WoW is that in this day and age if a game has even 5 month old looking graphics people call it "LAST Gen" "crap graphics" ect ect. Nobody says anything about WoW, sure you can say "Oh it's supposed to look like WC3" that wont fly too far with the average stupid population. So congrads to Blizzard on this achievement, now please get back in the developing game business.

12. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 12:08 The Half Elf

But ya gotta admit. To take the jump from Diablo/Wacraft games into the MMO market, is a pretty remarkable task, not to mention how well it's paid off for them.

And ya have to give them credit with the History of Warcraft. With ADD I'm useually not the one who takes times to read thing, but I really do enjoy the rich history that's been presented in WoW that taps all the Warcraft games.

11. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 12:05 Syntarsus

World of Diablocraft

10. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 11:58 Fantaz

Well yeah, it's about time Blizzard's doing something new.

9. Re: Haha Jan 23, 2007, 11:46 Mr. Tact

On the one hand I find it difficult to believe they could do it and make it worth playing.

On the other hand, that's what I thought about WoW and I couldn't have been more wrong.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 11:47.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo