Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rainbow Six Vegas Patch

The Rainbow Six Vegas Website is already offering the promised (story) version 1.03 patch and accompanying dedicated server for the tactical shooter sequel. This earlier post details changes in the new version.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2007, 02:29 Jerykk

A tactical shooter is one that requires tactics (and by tactics, I don't mean "Take cover. Shoot enemies in the head when they aren't looking") in order to succeed. This is because they are realistic and if you get shot, you die. Tactical shooters are squad-based because realistically, you don't try to take out a large group of heavily-armed terrorists/criminals with only one SWAT/Rainbow/Ghost member. This is especially true when there are hostages or bombs involved (as is almost always the case).

What you're looking for is an open-ended, semi-arcadish FPS. Unfortunately, there aren't too many good ones around. Deus Ex is, of course, the best single-player game ever, so if you haven't played that, you must. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is pretty good, though you have to patch it and play at the highest difficulty setting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2007, 00:59 CreamyBlood

I think I used the wrong words here,

Howabout: FarCry like but with, well nothing. How about something like FarCry, I can't stand it if I have 'teammates', leave that for 2014 when AI isn't irritating. A FarCry type of game would be good. I just played Half Life and it was okay, but let's move forward.... tactical FPS (arcadish) wouthout teammates.

I'm still not sure what the heck you guys are talking about. An FPS that is tactical and slinking, provides different ways for accomplishing your goal and, well that's it. The best of the early 2000's without any third person stuff (hence the FPS requirement). Or wonky console port/pc controls. You'd think it was a simple question.

24. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2007, 00:15 Elf Shot The Food

Hidden & Dangerous 2.

23. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2007, 00:13 MeatForce

Seriously, GRAW with its huge ass interface had shitty console port plastered all over it.

OMG, GRAW was seriously the most over-hyped game of the year, bar none.

I enjoyed the demo well enough, even though it left me with a few reservations as to it's "realism" (most populated city in the world completely devoid of life, for example), but all the glowing reviews convinced me that the full game must make amends for the choice of level in the demo....

WRONG!!!!!

The third -- maybe fourth time my AI dude shreiked "SHOOT, CAPTAIN!! SHOOT!!!!!!" on approach in the chopper in - what, like level two!?!??.. I knew the game was going to be short-lived in my universe.. a few levels later and I was done.

What a POS.

Think I'll wait until I can pick up Vegas for a really great price used before I try my hand at that kind of stupidity again, since the demo was just more of the same IMO..

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.
This comment was edited on Jan 17, 00:15.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

22. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 23:32 Jerykk

I thought Raven Shield took out the pre-mission planning? Even without that, the game was far more tactical and realistic than R6: Vegas.

Speaking of realism, whatever happened to realistic locational body damage? Soldier of Fortune 2 was the last game to have it. I miss being able to blow an enemy's jaw off. Raven needs to whip out Soldier of Fortune 3 using the Unreal Engine 3. Mmmmm... beefy.

I also tried a couple of Tom Clancies' (I guess that's Roughe Sphere, now that I think of it) and want FPS, not third person weirdness.

Third-person weirdness? The Splinter Cell games are easily my favorite Clancy games, though I'm a stealth junkie.

And if you want a good recent PC tactical shooter, check out SWAT 4. Consolitis-free.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 23:37.

21. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 22:43 doktor_tchock

I believe Raven Shield was, and probably will remain, the last RB6 game developed on PC before consoles. There was still a pre-mission planning map. If you liked the original RB6 & Rogue Spear, I think you'd like Raven Shield. The damage to your avatar is much more realistic, as is the damage that you dish out, compared to Vegas.

20. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 22:32 CreamyBlood

I'm still looking for an intense (well, FarCry-like) tactical shooter that isn't brand new, but more recent then around 2000 would be nice.

I'm seeing GRAW, Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear. Which one was the best PC game (that wasn't consolised) for me to check out? I'm leaning towards Rainbow Six - 'Three'. I'm lost here as it's a genre I missed out on except for I tried a Delta Force demo once. I also tried a couple of Tom Clancies' (I guess that's Roughe Sphere, now that I think of it) and want FPS, not third person weirdness.

Thanks.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 22:35.

19. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 22:23 CJ_Parker

Dunno about that. Even though GR:AW was modified for the PC audience, it still wasn't as good as the original GR.

Or Rogue Spear (my favorite)...
Seriously, GRAW with its huge ass interface had shitty console port plastered all over it. It sucked just as much as Lockdown. Both franchises were successfully ruined for the PC by Ubi by means of these two games IMHO.
They need to bring back the gameplay of Rogue Spear. I'm not even asking for the planning mode or anything. Just the gameplay.
But that will probably never happen because you can't bother 10 year old console kiddies with trying to figure out how to best approach/enter a target building or base or plane or whatever. Instead they crap out shiny, happy Vegas and all the kiddies are happy... *sigh*.

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

18. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 22:10 doktor_tchock

insanely difficult in a cheap, unsatisfying way

I agree; I'm to the point that I want to switch to normal just so I can resume having fun, but I can't. So do I quit and start over? I don't know if I could take that.

When I set it to realistic I was looking for... I don't know... realism. Pisses me off 'cause it's still pretty fun, I just don't like being dicked around by the auto-save artificially lengthening the game by forcing you to play certain parts over, and over, and over.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 22:11.

17. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 20:21 Jerykk

Dunno about that. Even though GR:AW was modified for the PC audience, it still wasn't as good as the original GR.

16. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 20:18 The Half Elf

But in the wake of crap that was no Ghost Recon 2, and Lockdown, they did an awesome job with Graw.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. No subject Jan 16, 2007, 19:54 nin

im busy playing ... um, nothing

14. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 19:36 SpectralMeat

Ghost Recon 2 was a console-only

Since when i thought that was coming to the PC as well. I don't want to get an XBOX just to play that game.

Steam: SpectralMeat

13. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 19:29 Charlie_Six

That feature is unique to the Xbox vision camera though. I'm sure they could've ported it over to webcams if they wanted to, but it was a big selling point of the vision camera, apparently, so I don't think they wanted to.

At any rate, the "add your own face" feature doesn't even work in the Xbox360 version because it takes an eternity for the face to upload to the server. So it's a broken feature no matter what

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

12. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 19:13 Jerykk

Personally I think that omission says alot about the direction UBI is going on.

Well, to be fair, that direction has been pretty obvious ever since Ghost Recon 2 was a console-only affair. Then we got R6: Lockdown and, well, that was the end of tactical shooters.

11. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 17:23 4D-Boxing

They even removed options (like adding your own face) that were available on the consoles.

Personally I think that omission says alot about the direction UBI is going on.

Has the widescreen & AA support issues addressed?

It's 2007, at the very least support anti-aliasing. I know the gaming community has already released fixes for both issues but official support is always nice.

10. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 16:58 Marvin T. Martian

They really didn't make any attempt to modify the port for the PC. They even removed options (like adding your own face) that were available on the consoles. And the last few levels become more like Serious Sam than a "tactical shooter".

9. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 16:03 Jerykk

Ubisoft is getting sloppy with their ports which is a shame because traditionally they have been very good with supporting the PC.

8. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 15:33 The Half Elf

problem is some major bugs have popped up.

Silent Nades, menu's still open when ya spawn so you really can't do anything, crashes when the server changes maps etc.

Useually they have been great with the patches (especially Graw), but this one is starting to get on my nerves.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2007, 15:26 PHJF

it's a decent game...I thought rainbow six 3 had the best combination of arcade and realistic gameplay

I will agree with that.

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo