Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mac Prey Demo

Macgamefiles now offers the Mac edition of the Prey Demo, which includes the first five levels of the game, just like the PC demo. Word is: "Intel integrated video chipsets are not supported." The demo is mirrored on 3D Gamers.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Rebuttal. Jan 15, 2007, 22:45 CreamyBlood

I liked your post too. Don't know why I implied you were a little dick. To me it seemed funny at the time, but in hindsight it comes across as me being an asshole. Not the first time, don't take it personally.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Rebuttal. Jan 15, 2007, 10:33 TorTorden

Oh, and in answer to TorTorden's point about not supporting integrated graphics: Reading between the lines, they don't support the Intel GMA900/950, which rules out support for the Mac Mini, the iBook, and the MacBook. The PowerBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro should be able to run Prey.

yes I would have to admit to not having any real experience with mac's. So the above was a nice clarification on my suspicions.

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

19. Re: No subject Jan 15, 2007, 06:32 Jerykk

True.

18. Re: No subject Jan 15, 2007, 06:24 Masa

Keep in mind that a publisher's definition of a AAA title is based on sales, not quality.

Or rather, how many resources and funding is dedicated to the game, indicating how much they expect the game to sell.

Sure, every dev wants their game to sell well, but sometimes you get lowered expectations.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 06:37.

17. Re: Rebuttal. Jan 14, 2007, 20:56 FreonTrip

Well, thanks. As a sort of peace offering, enjoy this footage of 20,000 pounds of metallic sodium being dumped into a lake circa 1947. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3825610222960975525&q=sodium+lake&hl=en

16. Re: Rebuttal. Jan 14, 2007, 17:22 nin

i cock waved at my little sis

15. Re: Rebuttal. Jan 14, 2007, 15:51 Shadowcat

FWIW FreonTrip, some of us were decidedly entertained by your post

14. Re: Rebuttal. Jan 14, 2007, 12:14 FreonTrip

I just felt like taking someone throwing out a worthless quip to the mat. It was late, I was tired, and I'm not really sure what you're getting into a snit about. At least it was a lucid response to a half-baked fragment of a post. Fuck it, I'm out. Enjoy accusing other people of cock-waving.
This comment was edited on Jan 14, 13:09.

13. Re: Rebuttal. Jan 14, 2007, 11:16 Rolphus

I believe that for now, it is more a matter of market share rather than technical problems that has kept many games from the mac. It might change.

Yes and no.

I'm a Mac owner (in fact, I own 2 Macs and one PC), and since the move to Intel CPUs, the Mac is at finally on a par with with a Windows box CPU-wise. That said, Macs generally don't ship with decent GPUs. The standard iMac (which, let's face it, isn't particularly cheap) ships with either an ancient Radeon X1600 Pro or a GeForce 7300GT, both of which frankly suck. Even the top-end 24" iMac only has an option for a 7600GT, which isn't awful, but it's by no means designed for high-end gaming on the integrated 1920x1200 panel. As the owner of one of these machines, it's not an awful GPU, but it's not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination.

Even the scarily powerful dual-dual-core Mac Pro (which will set you back approximately a bazillion pounds) ships by default with at 7300GT. There's an option for a Radeon 1900XT, which is a nice card, but let's face it - it's not top-end.

Hardware is only part of the story though. Aspyr (one of the key companies that port Windows games to the Mac) have found that Mac OS X's OpenGL stack is significantly slower than Windows'. This seriously hurt performance of Doom 3-engined games, and there's nothing any of the third-party developers can't do about it.

Bottom line, as far as I can see, Apple simply don't see the Mac gaming as anything even approaching a priority. It's a pity really, because Mac OS X is a superb operating system, and they make lovely hardware.

Oh, and in answer to TorTorden's point about not supporting integrated graphics: Reading between the lines, they don't support the Intel GMA900/950, which rules out support for the Mac Mini, the iBook, and the MacBook. The PowerBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro should be able to run Prey.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 11:18.

12. Re: No subject Jan 14, 2007, 06:17 Jerykk

Keep in mind that a publisher's definition of a AAA title is based on sales, not quality.

11. No subject Jan 14, 2007, 06:09 TorTorden

No imo Prey isn't a AAA title, and six months is actually a quite short time for converting this over to MacOS, the little tidbit of not supporting integrated graphics is going to be a chokepoint since that pretty much rules out most mac's out of the end model line up.

and there is a very simple explanation to why this exact title is so portable, it's OPENGL and not DirectX, sure it may use Directx to display in windows in some way and I am pretty sure that the xbox also uses some form of directX (for all games) optimized for the hardware, anything else merely seems like a waste of intellectual property from MS's side.

And it seems like I might just be forced into getting vista. The only reason I feel the need is all the 'commoners' (for lack of a better word no offense intended) that have been into my shop asking about when vista will ship. Maybe I should try convincing my boss to only get retail versions and place soft mat's around the shop so that when I tell them the price for windows they can land softly when they fall over.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 06:12.

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

10. Re: Rebuttal. Jan 14, 2007, 03:32 CreamyBlood

I admit, I made a mistake, I thought Prey was a AAA title. But perhaps I was wrong.

I'm just wondering, if we take your long winded and tired comparison of time and compressed it into the size of a singularity, how big would that make your dick?

9. Re: Rebuttal. Jan 14, 2007, 02:56 Cochonou

Indeed, a lot of AAA titles are portable and cross-platform, as they are also published for consoles.
I believe that for now, it is more a matter of market share rather than technical problems that has kept many games from the mac. It might change.

8. Rebuttal. Jan 14, 2007, 01:46 FreonTrip

"A little late tho , Prey came out eons ago for PC, mac is not for games,"

An eon is the largest unit of geologic time. If one were to create an analogous time scale for computing and began with the heady, highly experimental equipment available in the 1940s, it could be subdivided into a comparable number of "eons" based upon roughly industry-wide progress. Were one to state that the development of vacuum tube-based computers represented the dawn of computing (much as the formation of the Earth some 4.6 billion years ago represents the beginning point of geologic time, the Hadean Eon), the next "big" one wouldn't happen until transistors arrived on the scene in the 1960s. If it helps, picture that as being something like the beginning of the Archaean some 3.8 billion years ago, or the time when the Earth is thought to have developed a solid crust and begun to act something more like it does today. From there, you can say that the development of integrated circuits, home computers, and the internet have marked other "eons" in home computing, with other development being representative of eras, periods, epochs, and stages, from least precision and greatest time covered to greatest precision and least time covered, and all of them occurring within the previously mentioned eons.

Prey came out in mid- to late July of 2006. It happened, at best, an epoch ago by this timeline, and more likely just covered a couple of stages. Six months does not represent a vast gulf of time even in video games, except to the most distracted and attention span-deprived people. I'm glad that it's being ported to the Mac even though I don't own one, and entirely fail to see what purpose your post served. There's no reason to even dissect your last assertion.

In closing, I apologize for any omissions I made in constructing my weird little analogy. Thank you, drive through.
This comment was edited on Jan 14, 01:54.

7. Re: No subject Jan 13, 2007, 23:25 CreamyBlood

That's an amazing AI you got going on there, tb, is it homegrown China tech?

6. No subject Jan 13, 2007, 22:08 tweakboy

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 15, 02:14.

http://www.hammiestudios.com
Free Full Album MP3 Download!

5. Re: Mac Prey Demo Jan 13, 2007, 20:53 Elf Shot The Food

The game was okay, but like a movie trailer, all the best stuff was in the demo.

4. Re: Mac Prey Demo Jan 13, 2007, 18:41 CreamyBlood

Well that's a bummer. I only played the PC demo and thought it looked cool. My limited graphics card was hitching on it so I thought I'd save it for later. My Mac friends have the hardware to play it so I thought I'd pass it on....

3. Re: Mac Prey Demo Jan 13, 2007, 15:17 Enahs

From all I heard this was far from AAA.

It is good, and fun.
But the demo shows off all the fun and creative side. Instead of using the portals, spirit walk, and gravity paths in more creative and cleaver they just repeated the stuff in the demo over and over.

But it was still a fun game. You mostly just get pissed off because you can see all the potential stuff they could have done because they clearly have the talent and tech to do it, but instead they just chose to do a corridor game.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

2. Re: Mac Prey Demo Jan 13, 2007, 14:36 The Half Elf

From all I heard this was far from AAA.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo