Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Subscription Hellgate: London

Shacknews has word on Hellgate: London multiplayer, saying online play in Flagship's coming action/RPG will be subscription-based, quoting Bill Roper as saying this will spark debate over whether the game is an MMO or not. Word is they have plans to roll out a beta test before this service goes live, and the system will include some provision for free or trial play. Multiplayer gameplay will be instanced, with some minor form of PvP.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2007, 18:15 Masa

Our game has also only been in full production for about three and a half years. That's hardly "an age" for AAA game development.

Has Ivan been sitting under a rock? Whole consoles have been unveiled and released in the time Hellgate was announced and now.

It looks like Flagship's management may not think this game will turn as tidy a profit as they would like.

Yeah, I'm going take this one off the list, too. Moozilla bitched about the delays of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and why no one should care, yet that game has been consistently in the gaming press for the past few years. Hellgate just kind of comes and goes.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 18:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. hellcanwait Jan 14, 2007, 14:01 Cheese

yeah me 2 im gonna scratch this one off the list, just the mere talk of them trying to get more money outta this when they already had everyone in there pocket is a bold greedy move on there part. no purchase just to teach you guys a lesson.

39. Re: No subject Jan 13, 2007, 23:34 Sempai

For what its worth i emailed Flagship last night and uh hum..was NOT nice with my choice of words to them for this whole possible charging a fee for multiplayer..

I just got this email response from them, quite surprised actually..

Hey Daniel,

Actually, we have not yet decided upon exactly how we're going to handle our online gameplay. We can at least promise that there will be a free multiplayer component. Of course, the entire singleplayer game also only costs the retail asking price.

Our game has also only been in full production for about three and a half years. That's hardly "an age" for AAA game development. We're right about par for the course, actually.

Now if I may offer a bit of advice... Don't accuse people or companies of poor practices before you figure out whether or not your accusation is even warranted, lest you discover yourself hypocritically claiming someone's jumping onto greed bandwagons when you are actually the one riding the bandwagon of hate at full speed.

Cheers.

-- Ivan Sulic

Flagship Studios

Heres hoping they dont screw this game up..
Thx for the response Ivan.)

38. Re: No subject Jan 13, 2007, 06:50 Sempai

How pathetic..

GG Roper!

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 06:51.

37. No subject Jan 10, 2007, 13:58 nin

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 10, 14:13.

36. Re: There goes my purchase. Jan 10, 2007, 13:34 Awesome Spume

Heh, don't forget Diablo 3 is in the works. And you know sure as shit that Blizzard won't be charging for the multiplayer part of the game.

You sure about that?

http://www.hammiestudios.com
Free Full Album MP3 Download!

35. Re: This will fail Jan 10, 2007, 11:50 Frijoles

I may still buy it for the single player game, provided it's long enough. I'll have to wait for reviews though.

34. Re: This will fail Jan 10, 2007, 11:47 Parallax Abstraction

Welcome to the Live Anywhere PC gaming world ladies and gentlemen.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: brokenxblm.blogspot.com

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

33. Re: This will fail Jan 10, 2007, 11:42 PHJF

O
M
F
GGGGGGG

THIS ISN'T PLANETSIDE YOU FUCKTARDS

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

32. This will fail Jan 10, 2007, 10:55 MMORPGHoD

This has already been tried with D&D Online, monthly fees for a fully instanced world (which I see there was news that DDO needed to merge 5 EU servers into 2 recently). Maybe if Guild Wars wasn't out already this tactic might work.

31. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2007, 09:57 Darks

Welp, bill roper just lost me as a buyer for this game. So now he can burn in hell with his game and his subscription fee.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

30. No subject Jan 10, 2007, 09:16 Brainp0wa

(sigh)

*Scratches Hellgate:London off his list of upcoming games to watch for.

29. Re: Never Jan 10, 2007, 08:56 UttiniDaKilrJawa

This news greatly saddens me. I was also REALLY looking forward to this game. Now with the subscription based multiplayer I will pass it by for now. Maybe when it hits the 15-20 dollar bins I might check it out. I can only play half the game with the money I pay for the box game then I want to pay only half.

On a side note, this could produce an unwanted side effect. If more games go for the subscription/multi-play and people stop buying these PC games. Then I become worried that the publishers won't come to the correct conclusion: that subscription based multiplayer is bad and should be removed. Instead I can see publishers going: hey look ANOTHER good PC game that didn't sell, guess we should just stick with consoles. Either way it seems like we are going to lose

28. Re: Never Jan 10, 2007, 08:45 Undocumented Alien

Is this idea 'borrowed' from XBOX Live where you pay a monthly subscription fee to play online?

27. Re: Never Jan 10, 2007, 08:13 Johnny

Sadly I don't think they're trying to court the hard-to-please hard core gamer market. It's all about the $$ nowdays.

How many millions of uhm... customers does WoW have? Yeah, they're going to cry over missing out on our dollars all right, cry all the way to the bank.

26. No subject Jan 10, 2007, 08:12 space captain

like everyone else - ive just lost interest in this game completely

what a bunch of fucking bullshit, how greedy can you get? also makes me wonder just how much focus they actually put on making the damn game if they are this hard up for cash.. maybe they just sit around all day thinking about how they can "maximize profitssss!!"

Go forth, and kill!

25. Re: There goes my purchase. Jan 10, 2007, 08:10 shinchan0s

Fuck 'em. The game looked like shit anyway. I hope Bill Roper accidently rams his nuts into a desk corner. He's a hack and he doesn't deserve to have anymore children.

24. Re: Never Jan 10, 2007, 08:03 Charlie_Six

Same here  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

23. Re: There goes my purchase. Jan 10, 2007, 07:47 Buckermann

Another 50 saved. I'm quite sure there will be enough other games I can buy this year. So, no big loss for me.

22. Re: There goes my purchase. Jan 10, 2007, 07:16 Tatsu

I am very scared. This is the second game to my knowledge attempting this tripe of "Oh we give you singleplayer for free, but the multiplayer is subscription based..." nonsense. I don't like that. I usually make sarcastic jokes when I post. This time I can only feel sick to my stomach and wonder just how far and how many developers will try it. I mean if enough of them (game publishing/developing companies) start doing it we might actually see the end of free multiplayer (not including homebrew hacks) sooner rather than later. If a whole bunch of companies with fantastic games start doing it consumers will more than likely roll over and take it. Now I can see paying a monthly fee for good MMOs (like CoH, DAoC or WoW to a lesser degree), but not a normal game. I want content updates with my fees. I want more classes, items and what have you. What are normal games going to offer as additional content? Mappacks? Skins? I am so not happy with this trend.  
-Tatsu Oyama
"I mostly hit stuff and it breaks..."

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo