Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 4, 2007, 18:04 Jerykk

The 20 gig 360 HD should cost no more than $20. Even at $20, it's still a ripoff, costing $1 per gig. What MS should do is just allow players to use their own HDs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 4, 2007, 12:26 John

On a totally unrelated note, the 20GB X360 HD costs $100. WTF?
Yeah, its crazy. They should sell it for $50 or less and release a 60-80GB version for $100. However, I've seen some new 360 HDs on eBay selling for around $60 or $70. I think the $100 wireless network adapter is way overpriced too.

This space is available for rent

25. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 4, 2007, 06:46 Jerykk

Although, I also know the GPU is more important in gaming.

I don't know why Sony spent so much time and resources with the Cell Processor. CPUs really aren't very important anymore. They could have just slapped an Athlon 64 into the PS3 and it really wouldn't have made any difference. At 1920x1080, with parallax mapping, bloom, HDR, motion blur, depth of field, normal mapping, anti-aliasing, anistropic filtering, etc, GPUs take all the load. Sure, physics and AI are CPU-based, but we haven't come close to maximizing either of those.

On a totally unrelated note, the 20GB X360 HD costs $100. WTF? That has to be the biggest ripoff of the century. $5 per gigabyte... just wow. You can buy a 500 GB SATA HD for under $150 and MS is charging $100 for a mere 20 gigs. What a travesty.

24. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 4, 2007, 00:22 John

Any 360 owners on Blue's?
Yeah, I got one about a month ago since Micro Center had that $100 rebate and I have been enjoying it. This is the first console I bought myself. I've got GoW, Chromehounds, Kameo, PDZ, and PG3 so far along with a few games from the original Xbox.

Gears has to be my favorite right now. As MeatForce said, it doesn't "reinvents the slice of toast", but I really enjoy it. I've played through it in singleplayer and coop already. Now I'm trying to beat it on Insane difficulty. I haven't played much of PDZ or Kameo yet, but like what I did. Another thing I like is that I can get a lot of 360 games used now. Some games that I'm looking forward to are Lost Planet, Mass Effect, Dark Sector, Halo 3, and of course the Gears sequal.

I've only got a CRT monitor right now, but I'm planning to get some kind of HDTV in the near future. I brought my 360 to a friends house and played it on his 55" HDTV and that made me want one even more!

As for the New PS3 Cell Processor article, MS needs to get their hands on one of those. Their current CPU setup runs way too hot. I know they are going to release a new version of the 360 sometime this year to help that, but I'm sure it still won't have near the power of the Cell. Although, I also know the GPU is more important in gaming.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 00:30.

This space is available for rent

23. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 3, 2007, 21:45 |RaptoR|

I doubt I'll ever buy into the PS3. Overdone Japanese RPGs don't really excite me (or perhaps living in tokyo has jaded me) and 599$ for a video game machine is retarded.

This Christmas my family popped open the Wii and we bowled, boxed, golfed, and played baseball for hours. My 60 year old parents who haven't played a video game since the Intellivision were hooked... and that's saying something. Even the sister in law, who despises video gaming, was having a blast. At work, the buzz is all about the Wii and how their kids were all asking for it for Christmas.

At 599$, with no killer-app currently or in the near future... I don't think the PS3 will last too long... Jaguar 2.0?

And on the subject of Xbox 360: I've been fairly hesistant to buy one for the past year, but picked one up as a birthday present to myself and haven't been happier with a console. I find the only game I play on the computer anymore is World of Warcraft, and I can't stomach raiding so even that is played sparingly. I've fallen in love with it. Gears of War is rock solid fun, Perfect Dark: Zero was an unexpected treat that reminded me highly of Goldeneye, Doom on XBLA (Doom over the internet without punks crashing the servers, omg!), Rainbow 6: Vegas... all good reasons to own the system.

I'm done ranting. Playstation 3 was Sonys biggest mistake, and launching early at a loss was Microsofts smartest move. Nintendo has the gimmick/innovation to generate buzz and introduce non-gamers to gaming... PS3 really has nothing but a high price.

22. XBLA Worms Jan 3, 2007, 19:03 Sinistar

I really hope the Live Arcade version is fun. Too bad it's not coming out this week.

21. Oh ma gawd. It could happen, TB! Jan 3, 2007, 17:40 shinchan0s

What if Sony gets their asses handed to them by Microsoft and Nintendo here in the United States? I wonder if the West would continue to see the large influx of Japanese RPG's (like Persona or DragonQuest) and games (like Katamari Damacy) we have now. I doubt Japan would go through the hassle of porting those games over to the 360 and publishers here aren't going to bother releasing niche titles which need profits from high volume sales - which they got with the popular PS2.

If the PS3 tanks and the 360 is king then guys like me would have to wait every 3-4 years for Square/Enix to shit out another ugly, overblown Final Fantasy game (because Final Fantasy is all we'll ever get to see) for our RPG fix.

Why couldn't Sony just make a more powerful PS2? Fucking dumbasses. Let's just hope the Wii wins then :o.

/not a Nintendo fanboy!

20. Re: No subject Jan 3, 2007, 17:36 Beady

If the PS3 continues to be ignored by consumers for another few months, then I can see it becoming a huge problem for Sony.

Publishers will only release games on the PS3 while it has a small install base for a short time. If they see the PS3 not gaining much market share and begin to feel the cost of PS3 game development, they will simply not release games on that platform. Or they just release half-ass ports. Its all about return on investment.

Its already happening now: Look at the number of *big* exclusives sony have lost. And there are rumours that they will be losing a few more major ones soon.

Small install base = Small number of high quality games released = small number of new consoles sold. Its one of the reasons you need to launch early (or near the same time as everyone else), or have a really good gimmick. The PS3 has neither.

19. Re: No subject Jan 3, 2007, 17:08 TB

Well seeing as they're preparing for the proper launch, getting ahead of demand is a good thing. And they did indeed increase supply, while normaly theyd send a small shipment 1-2x a week, before xmas they sent a launch sized shipment. After xmas I dont think anyones going to buy a high priced item no matter how high demand is.

18. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 3, 2007, 17:03 Sugarman

Just bought a 360 myself, along with a Wii and a 46" sharp aquos lcd hdtv. I have always been a die hard pc gamer, but Dead Rising is damn fun, Gears of war is pretty cool, Lego Star Wars is a blast, my wife loves to play it with me, and Test drive unlimited is decent fun. Hooked up to xbox live and updated my 360 "bam" 1080p support was added. This thing looks friggin awesome on my tv. I had a 32" crt and I couldn't even read the subtitles on the 360, but it is amazing on my lcd tv.

Wanna make the 360 or PS3 the dominant system??? Support the god-damn keyboard and mouse in FPS games, I will never get used to using my thumbs for Gears of War, it almost takes all the fun outta the game having to stumble around aiming with that horrible controller. Wii boxing and bowling is a blast, its great when you have company over. If all the games for the 360 would be available for the pc I probably wouldn't have bought a 360, but we all know that will never be the case.

Im going to play a bit of Dead Rising right now as a matter of fact!!

17. Re: No subject Jan 3, 2007, 17:01 Zathrus

and with Sony shipping out large numbers of units before xmas, consoles on the shelf is exactly what they wanted

Yes, they really want to see consoles sitting on the shelf, not selling. That's great for business. After all, who really wants to have the hot item? Oh yeah.... every other company on the face of the planet.

MS also shipped out "large numbers" of consoles at various points shortly after release, and it simply didn't matter for 5 months. They sold out. Nintendo has been shipping out well over twice as many consoles as Sony (with first day sales close to 4x as many, IIRC), and nobody can keep them in stock.

Sony hasn't magically increased supply -- the demand is simply not there. That may change, but I'll bet it won't unless Sony is willing to drastically drop the price. It's just too damn expensive.

16. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 3, 2007, 16:59 Parallax Abstraction

I think I read there are around 8 million 360s out and about now. Sony had better get their act together.

Not that I think Sony doesn't have a lot of work to do, but just to keep things in perspective, don't forget that Microsoft had planned to have over 10 million units sold already so their targets are behind as well. They didn't extend that warranty out of the goodness of their hearts, they're trying to keep the spotlight.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Xfire: pxabstraction - Xbox Live: PXAbstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

15. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 3, 2007, 16:52 Rolphus

I own a 360, have done for about 9 months now, and aside from it currently being dead (some problem with the DVD drive), I've enjoyed played a huge host of games on it.

Just about the only game I really couldn't get into was Dead Rising. I play games primarily for the enjoyment, progression, and "wow" factor, rather than a harsh, unforgiving challenge, and Dead Rising, while a great game for a "good gamer" just wasn't for me.

14. No subject Jan 3, 2007, 16:46 TB

With the crippled Japanese motorstorm outselling MS's Final Fantasy killer I dont think there is any problems for the moment, and with Sony shipping out large numbers of units before xmas, consoles on the shelf is exactly what they wanted. Its now down to waiting for March to get thins rolling and then next march for some idea of how things are progrssing.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 16:48.

13. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 3, 2007, 16:39 MeatForce

Any 360 owners on Blue's? I bought one Saturday with Dead Rising. I'm not exactly enjoying it. My wife and I have spent more time playing the demo version of Bejeweled than anything else.

I downloaded demos for NFS:Carbon and Most Wanted, GRAW, R6:Vegas, the new WWE wrestling game and several others and none of them have impressed me. Am I missing something?

Is Gears of War the only game worth playing on this system? If I bought it, would it help me get through the wait for Forza 2? Was the original Forza any match for the Gran Turismo series (my favorite)?

I thought the original Forza absolutely smoked GT, but that said, I have found all kinds of things to like about my 360 so far (Dead Rising being an absolute gem of a game, IMO), so if you're not happy with what you've seen, then perhaps we don't see eye-to-eye on such things in general.

One thing I can say is that I've often found the demos I've played on the system don't tend to convey the quality of the full product as readily as they do on the PC side of things..

For example, the demo for Dead Rising only gives you a look at what basic zombie-bashing is like in that game, but you really don't get a clue about what playing the actual game is like from that little taste.

Another example of that is the Test Drive Unlimited demo, which features all the driving assists turned on at their maximum setting, giving the impression that the cars don't handle well -- not at all true in the retail version, and there's a good deal more depth to the gameplay than is evident from the demo as well...

Beyond that:

Gears of War is a great time (although I'm not quite sure it reinvents the slice of toast as everyone is claiming)
Splinter Cell: Double Agent is stellar
Viva Pinata is horribly addictive
The back compat catalogue now runs everything I want it to except Beyond Good and Evil..

*shrug* everyone's different, but I personally haven't found a reason to turn my PC on for gaming in a VERY long time - not that I've had a huge amount of time for gaming in general lately, but I love my little 360.

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

12. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 3, 2007, 16:14 Beamer

As mentioned:

1) The 360 was impossible to get before April of last year. My roommate had to cut a deal with a Gamestop manager to get one put aside for his birthday. It didn't pick up in May due to games, it picked up due to availability. Before that point none were on shelves.

2) Yeah, the PS2 is still selling best. Is this a surprise? It's $99 and has a ton of $20 games. It isn't selling best because it's the Sony brand, if people were into it for that reason they'd already own one (or, in our case, 3 that don't work.) It's selling best because it's the best value for people just now getting a console. The PS3 will likely never be the best value. The Wii and the 360 will be the two in that contention.

Some of the leaps of logic here are a bit false.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 3, 2007, 16:02 nin

Any 360 owners on Blue's? I bought one Saturday with Dead Rising. I'm not exactly enjoying it. My wife and I have spent more time playing the demo version of Bejeweled than anything else.

Really? I'm coming close to buying a 360 for Dead Rising. And Project Gotham Racing. And GOW. And Mass Whatever from Bioware. And Guitar Hero, when it finally shows up.

Seriously, what don't you like? As a potential buyer, I'd like to know.

Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.richardcheese.com/ http://www.myspace.com/richardcheese

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 3, 2007, 16:01 MMORPGHoD

Do you have a HDTV with that 360?

9. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 3, 2007, 15:39 TheLeech

I downloaded demos for NFS:Carbon and Most Wanted, GRAW, R6:Vegas, the new WWE wrestling game and several others and none of them have impressed me. Am I missing something?

Is Gears of War the only game worth playing on this system? If I bought it, would it help me get through the wait for Forza 2? Was the original Forza any match for the Gran Turismo series (my favorite)?

At this point I have a feeling I made a mistake by purchasing this thing. I have until Saturday to return it, and I'll have to pay a restocking fee, but I'd rather waste $60 than $500.

Feeling a bit taken,
TheLeech

8. Re: PS3 predictions Jan 3, 2007, 15:35 Zathrus

hat further establishes the user base that is most likely to upgrade to a PS3 once its price comes down

I disagree that PS2 users are "most likely" to upgrade to a PS3. The only reason to stick with a PS3 is if you're planning to sell your old console (which has little value), or move it to a different room (while wanting to play the games in both rooms).

I suspect most people will simply buy a new console and hook it up to their TV along side the old console. Or they'll simply box up the old console entirely and never look back.

The perpetual question is if Sony will have the 3rd party exclusives that made the PS2 so popular. Right now it doesn't look so -- virtually every single exclusive title is announcing support for the 360 or PC. If Sony can't stop that somehow, they're going to lose the NA and European markets (which dwarf the Japanese market in sales and revenue).

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo