Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dark Sector PC Cancelled

A recent Dark Sector interview movie on GameSpot (thanks 3D Gamers) has word that the PC edition of Dark Sector has been cancelled. We had concerns that this was the case when the PC CD logo was conspicuous in its absence from the relaunched Dark Sector Website (story), but repeated requests for clarification on this went ignored, but now it is confirmed (like the website, what he says is that the game is in development for PS3 and Xbox 360).

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Dark Sector PC Cancelled Jan 3, 2007, 21:51 |RaptoR|

Hmm, I wouldn't be pissed off about Halo 2 taking so long to port. The Halo series is mediocre at best. Now, what I am annoyed with is that Mass Effect will be a 360 exclusive for at least a year

I thought the same, being a PC First Person lover. I threw Halo 2 in the closet about 3 days after buying it for being such a disappointment, but recently found the motivation to beat it.

The game isn't technically the best ever, with tons of graphical glitches and sometimes repetitive gameplay... but the storyline in part 2 was fucking awesome. It really saved the game, and has made me look forward to Halo 3 in a BIG way. I wasn't even going to bother picking it up, but now I want to see the conclusion of the story pretty badly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Dark Sector PC Cancelled Jan 2, 2007, 01:59 Gutted

As far as FPS games go, Halo wasn't that great. It was a straight shoot-em up with bad levels and a poor plot. It did introduce some half decent AI to an otherwise standard FPS exerpience.

46. Re: Dark Sector PC Cancelled Dec 31, 2006, 02:30 Masa

The Halo series is mediocre at best.

Compared to what? Not much else on the market competes with it, on PC or console. Yeah yeah, you have the various Unreal Tourney's and CT, both PC games.

Go ahead and get a console, as long as you like dumbed-down games with clunky controls and obtrusive interfaces. Until console games get more "mature", I'll be a PC gamer through and through.

How much more mature than a PC game can you possibly get? A lot of game released year already are, and have been for a long long time. I mean, what constitutes "mature", really? Having adult themes? There's been plenty of lawsuits aimed at various companies in years past for having just that on the console.

45. Re: Dark Sector PC Cancelled Dec 28, 2006, 18:09 Jerykk

Hmm, I wouldn't be pissed off about Halo 2 taking so long to port. The Halo series is mediocre at best. Now, what I am annoyed with is that Mass Effect will be a 360 exclusive for at least a year.

44. Re: Dark Sector PC Cancelled Dec 28, 2006, 17:35 SpectralMeat

Go ahead and get a console, as long as you like dumbed-down games with clunky controls and obtrusive interfaces.

Being a PC gamer makes me feel like playing the dumbed down versions of the console games. How many PC games were released this past year that was something original and not a port from a console. Not too many. What about the great amazing PC game Battlefield 1942 look at the version that was released this year 2142. I have a dual core processor and an 8800GTX video card and i don't like to turn down eye candy or tweak around in the graphics settings to play the game smooth. I payed all that money for the high end video card to enjoy the game at its best. I was very disappointed when i got my hands on Rainbow Six Vegas. Same thing goes to GRAW it looked better o the 360 than on the PC.

I have been a PC gamer since the DOS and commodore 64 days and i know a few games but these past years were shit for PC gaming. And now Microsoft wants us to spend even more money other than the hardware cost to play games on the PC. Halo 3 will be 360 exclusive, and Halo 2 will come to the PC after what like 2 years or something since it has been out on the xbox. I am just pissed off about that thats all. and i dont see the end of spending money on the PC hardware and not seeing results in gameplay.

Steam: SpectralMeat

43. Re: Dark Sector PC Cancelled Dec 28, 2006, 16:47 nin

Games are made for consoles now because they are cheaper to develop.

They also sell a lot more.

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.richardcheese.com/ http://www.myspace.com/richardcheese

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

42. Re: Dark Sector PC Cancelled Dec 28, 2006, 16:38 Slink

I don't know why are you all surprised. Look at the games came out for the PC this year 2006. Did you see any blockbuster titles, or above average titles other than Company Of Heroes? I didn't. And now i should be buying a new DX10 video card and a new OS which is ridiculously over priced, and then buy the games which games are only ports and they will run like shit on my high end PC. Perfect example Rainbow Six Vegas. No thank you. I think i am just better off getting a console, so i can end spending money on the PC hardware to run my games like shit.

If the PC hardware is so superior how come we don't see any games looks and runs like Gears of War.

Oh and while we are at it. I thought Call Of Duty started out on the PC as well. And guess where it is now.

Games are made for consoles now because they are cheaper to develop. Typically, console gamers are younger, so they don't have to make games that have in-depth plots or deep gameplay, but instead just lots of explosions and T&A.

Also, with consoles you don't have to worry about the hundreds of different PC configurations that people will be playing it on. This results in a smaller beta testing period, which results in less money spent by the developer.

Gears of War could easily be run on the PC - but we don't get it because Microsoft is contracting such games to be console-only.

Go ahead and get a console, as long as you like dumbed-down games with clunky controls and obtrusive interfaces. Until console games get more "mature", I'll be a PC gamer through and through.

WoW: Darsius (Earthen Ring) / GW: Denarr Trueblade / BF2: Slinky317 / CoH: Spectris (Justice)
This comment was edited on Dec 28, 16:39.

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

41. Re: Dark Sector PC Cancelled Dec 28, 2006, 16:22 SpectralMeat

WTF Digital Extremes?! Wasn't their first game Unreal which was originally PC exclusive? This decision by developers to ditch their roots and hop on the console bandwagon is mind boggling! Maybe they just saw that Pariah was selling better on Xbox rather than PC and said O gee, I guess we'll go console only because everyone's pirating computer games nowadays. Well no Mr. Man, it's because Pariah SUCKED and was just a Halo clone compared to Unreal which was truly innovative for its time.

I don't know why are you all surprised. Look at the games came out for the PC this year 2006. Did you see any blockbuster titles, or above average titles other than Company Of Heroes? I didn't. And now i should be buying a new DX10 video card and a new OS which is ridiculously over priced, and then buy the games which games are only ports and they will run like shit on my high end PC. Perfect example Rainbow Six Vegas. No thank you. I think i am just better off getting a console, so i can end spending money on the PC hardware to run my games like shit.

If the PC hardware is so superior how come we don't see any games looks and runs like Gears of War.

Oh and while we are at it. I thought Call Of Duty started out on the PC as well. And guess where it is now.
This comment was edited on Dec 28, 16:25.

Steam: SpectralMeat

40. Re: Dark Sector PC Cancelled Dec 28, 2006, 13:36 Fantaz

WTF Digital Extremes?! Wasn't their first game Unreal which was originally PC exclusive? This decision by developers to ditch their roots and hop on the console bandwagon is mind boggling! Maybe they just saw that Pariah was selling better on Xbox rather than PC and said O gee, I guess we'll go console only because everyone's pirating computer games nowadays. Well no Mr. Man, it's because Pariah SUCKED and was just a Halo clone compared to Unreal which was truly innovative for its time.

39. Re: ... Dec 28, 2006, 11:30 Awesome Spume

Oh. How did you pass this up? Derek Smart is a black programmer. Can we still call them black? Jesus. I just called them "them"? I'm going to hell for that. What do you call a guy in the street who's vacationing from Kenya and a witness to a street robbery (performed by a naturalized US citizen from Poland, for the sake of the argument). Do people say, altogther inaccurately, that there was an "African American" witness to the event? Which is politically correct but actually factually incorrect. Meh. Just wondering...

Bioshock (360 and PC) is the spiritual successor to System Shock 2. Will be interesting to see if that one's been Obliovionised (which is still my favourite game for a long while, regardless of its console roots.)

The people who think Spore will be anything but dress-up doll aliens with shallow girl-friendly gameplay are in for a shock.

Good troll post from Venomhed there. Miles beyond his usual work.

-------------------------------------------------
www.digg.com

38. Re: ... Dec 28, 2006, 10:21 PHJF

Quiet, you little porch monkeys!

It's OK; I'm takin' it back.

To be honest I'd never even heard the term before seeing Clerks II.

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

37. ... Dec 28, 2006, 10:11 theyarecomingforyou

Despite the fact that Affirmative Action is wrong on the short-term, it is the only way to correct race-related faults in today's american Higher Education institutions in the long-term.
No, because white people are offended by the unfairness and the divide becomes more prominent. The ONLY way forward is to have a system of complete equality and to pro-actively prosecute businesses/persons that do not follow this. It also means forcing businesses to employ people based upon their merits and NOT the public perception - this means employing black receptionists if they are friendly and meet the other requirements, despite some bigots / closet bigots that would be offended.

The percentages and ratios we have today are a result of racism in the past.
No. They are the result of the PEOPLE. Those people are being let down by their parents who are constantly pointing out how their race is different and how society doesn't accept them, a message that is reinforced by the minority of bigots out there that they come across - however, ignorance is something EVERYBODY comes across. I have an eccentric dress style and ride around on a unicycle - most people are fine and it garners many a smile but there is a tiny minority out that seek to cut me down, criticise and shout abuse. Now I know that they are ignorant fucktards but if it was my regarding my skin colour and the message was reinforced by my parents and the rest of the racial community then I can see how it could be twisted from being a problem with a minority to being a problem with society and institutionalised racism. It's a bit over-simplified, I know, but these people aren't just victims - they are part of the problem and must strive to better themselves FOR themselves, NOT for their race. That's why I get annoyed by FUCKTARDS like Halle Berry, saying that her Oscar wasn't just her but for every black woman and that the glass ceiling was coming down. So rather than being about her talent she has to turn it around to race and how the whole system is racist. Bitch. Rather than helping the situation she makes it worse. She's barely black anyway. Damn her.

Black people are as much responsible for their position in society as the redneck imbreds and ignorant members of the white "community" (I hate the word "community" being used to differentiate between race... not much of a community). I admit that the US has it bad for racism and ignorance, something not seen to even close to the same degree here in the UK (though fast becoming an issue with asians/muslims), but further dividing races with affirmative action is not the answer... even in the short-term.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

36. Re: No subject Dec 28, 2006, 08:36 ColoradoHoudini

I thought this was Dark Sector, the space'ish almost MMO-type game?
What the hell game is this? the screenshots look nothing like what i remember of a game called "Dark Sector".

can someone help me out please

35. No subject Dec 28, 2006, 07:46 Hump

Despite the fact that Affirmative Action is wrong on the short-term, it is the only way to correct race-related faults in today's american Higher Education institutions in the long-term.

except for a handful of southern baptist strongholds tell me where minorities are the victims of race related "faults" in American Universities? From what I've seen its actually whipsawed in the opposite direction. Then theres the question I posed as to what standard should be followed? IOW where does it stop? Is there a committee who will deem things satisfactory? If so do you really believe that anyone will be satisfied? The whole idea of affirmative action in the workplace and educational system is so vague and so open to abuse that only the most guilt ridden whites along with black leaders with an agenda will see any fairness in it at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

34. Re: Well Dec 28, 2006, 05:17 World war 3

The game doesn't look that good anyway. I don't care it's cancelled for the PC.

_______________________ __ _

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated November 16th 2005

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated April 17th 2009

33. Re: Well Dec 28, 2006, 05:15 Jerykk

Just look at South Korean gaming. All their games look awful and could be run on computers 5-6 years old. But everyone plays them. Sure it's a small market to begin with in comparison to North American and Europeean markets, but if that a formulate succeeds where you can have a whole family playing online games, I wonder if that would work here...

Um, no. All those South Korean games are MMOs and the western market for MMOs is already dominated by WoW.

That's what you get when Game Developpers on the PC focus more on pleasing Video Card manufacturers and making games that 'look pretty', rather than making games that 'play well' and run on computers that are equipped with 2 year old hardware.

Wait, are you blaming the lack of publisher support for the PC on videocards? The issue goes much further than that. Accessibility, for one. Console games are much easier to get into and play. All you need to know is what console you have. With PC games, you need to think about your CPU, RAM, videocard, drivers, Direct X version, Windows version and hard drive space. You basically you need to be competent with computers, a requirement that is far too demanding on the general populace.

Accessibility goes down into the design level as well. The vast majority of console games have low learning curves. Fewer buttons to memorize, simpler interfaces, more intuitive gameplay styles... compare this to the traditionally more complex games of the PC, such as space sims, war sims, RTSes, true RPGs (JRPGs aren't really RPGs), etc, and it's not surprising why consoles have broader appeal.

But this is all pretty redundant and has been stated many times before. In summary, console players need to die.

32. Re: Well Dec 28, 2006, 01:48 Beamer

Many minorities in higher education, such as our notable minority supreme court justice, would disagree with you vehemently.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Well Dec 28, 2006, 01:38 wMute

Besides, thanks to institutionalized and active racism, the poverty rate among black Americans is 25%, three times as high as among caucasians. You don't see many black programmers because: a) Minorities have less access to education; b) minorities are not as often hired even with the same qualifications; and c) you barely ever get to see programmers anyway.

Agreed.

Racism is institutionalized. The percentages and ratios we have today are a result of racism in the past. To correct this, we resort to Affirmative Action.

As for this game, it's cancelled on the PC because there's more money to be made on consoles. The PC market is small. Most of the budget for development would be wasted when you won't get that money back in terms of sales. Simply put, there just wouldn't be enough demand to justify investing into the PC side of the game.

That's what you get when Game Developpers on the PC focus more on pleasing Video Card manufacturers and making games that 'look pretty', rather than making games that 'play well' and run on computers that are equipped with 2 year old hardware.

An example? Just look at South Korean gaming. All their games look awful and could be run on computers 5-6 years old. But everyone plays them. Sure it's a small market to begin with in comparison to North American and Europeean markets, but if that a formulate succeeds where you can have a whole family playing online games, I wonder if that would work here...

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 01:40.

30. Re: No subject Dec 28, 2006, 00:54 Beamer

To do this, they negated the PC's greatest benefit: speed. A mouse can aim much more quickly than a gamepad and it can also be used to turn much more quickly. The developers therefore nerfed the mouse advantage by reducing weapon accuracy whenever you move the reticle.

This is what the guys making Huxley were thinking about doing, or close to it.
They had said, in interviews, that PC gamers would dominate 360 gamers, so they needed to come up with a way to alter that. They were kicking around simply disabling faster rates, so you'd be stuck with an agonizingly slow mouse.

I wouldn't play the game if that were the case.

This is also why the 360 doesn't allow you to hook up a USB mouse and keyboard for gaming. The PS3 does. I wonder if anyone is noticing this destroy the balance in Resistance.
edit - I was wrong, Resistance does NOT support mouse and keyboard. I'm fairly certain Sony said, repeatedly, all games would support it. Resistance doesn't, due to balancing issues.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/
This comment was edited on Dec 28, 00:57.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: No subject Dec 28, 2006, 00:42 Scottish Martial Arts

why would *any* person want to get an education if they can do either of those?

Perhaps so that they can be knowledgeable and wise?

Let me paraphrase a selection (it's far too long to type out a direct quote) from the Platonic dialog Euthydemus :

Does everyone want success?

Of course.

Does success consist of having good things?

Yes, but not just material things but also intangible things such as the virtues (temperance, courage, etc.).

Can one be successful merely as a result of possessing good things, or must one use them to be successful?

One must use the good things one possesses if one is to be successful.

And it would not be enough to simply use them, but also to use them correctly. Is that right?

Of course.

And we call someone wise when he has knowledge of how to use things correctly, do we not?

We do.

Then if one is to truly be successful, one must therefore be wise?

It would appear to be so.

I am sure you would not disagree with the premise that all people want success. What your comment seems to imply is that success is a function of how much money you make. Money however, has no intrinsic worth; we only value money because we can use it to buy stuff. If we accept for the sake of argument that skill at money-making is necessary for success, one still has to know how to spend that money if one is to be successful. One must therefore know how one ought to live, something which cannot be found merely in the acquisition of a skilled trade. The answer to how one ought to live, among many other questions, is one of the things that education is capable of providing. Unfortunately, education in America has become conflated with vocationalism and as a result fewer, and fewer students are able to conceive of education being anything more than a path to a skilled trade at which they can make a living. Rather than encouraging students to think great thoughts, and to expand our understanding of the world around us, we instead encourage students to aim low, and merely find some practical trade at which they can make a living, such as Marketing, Mass Communications, or Recreation Management.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo