Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Steam Outages

This week's Steam Message acknowledges the extended Steam outages that resulted from the recent storms in the Seattle area, which has taught Valve they need some help from the department of redundancy department:

It was a busy and windy week here at Valve. As most of the community knows by now, last week a major windstorm hit the greater Seattle area. Power outages are fairly common in the area, but the magnitude of this storm knocked out our datacenter, resulting in about 20 hours Steam interruption. This was very frustrating for everyone here and we know it was frustrating for you as well. We learned a lot and are taking steps to make sure that when the next storm like this hits our area 15-20 years from now *fingers crossed*, people will still be playing games on Steam while we are buying flashlight batteries.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: ... Dec 26, 2006, 18:30 trashcan

Why anyoneone would think Steam is a good idea is beyond me . I bought and paid for HL2 and why should I have to contact Valve every time I want to play a game I bought.

As a customer I want the option of installing Steam myself . What a insualt to paying customers, to make them install something not related to the game they just bought. They will never get another cent from me and they wouldn't have gotten a cent from if Hl2 wasn't bunddled in a deal with my video card.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. ... Dec 25, 2006, 04:00 theyarecomingforyou

Anyone with even a semblance of intelligence and maturity can see that all you are doing is embarrasing yourself.
POT... CALLING... THE... KETTLE... BLACK!!!!!!

Ha. Riley loves cock. Ha. Cockmuncher. I will continue to respond with the same maturity that you demonstrate... ABSOLUTELY NONE. Ha. Cock.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

35. Re: ... Dec 25, 2006, 00:14 Riley Pizt

I don't think that writing "moron" every other sentence is especially witty
Neither do I which is why I don't do it. You must love being wrong. I have called you a moron only once in each of three of my posts in this thread and deservedly so. That is hardly "every other sentence" even by a figurative interpretation.

That is a COMPLETELY different point to the one you made originally...What you said was that myself and Valve were the ONLY people that considered it insignificant
It's not completely different. That was not the point of my statement. My point was that the outage was not insignificant to Valve's customers despite your presumptuous claim. My point wasn't that you are the only moron or Valve apologist in the universe who would label the outage as insignificant. You are simply being a literalist and arguing semantics because you were wrong to label this outage as insignificant.

No, they are not. I can be unhappy that a store clerk short-changed me for 10 pence but that does not change the fact that it is still an insignificant event.
You seriously need to become literate. Go grab a dictionary and find a literate adult (though not your parents since I doubt they can read) to read and explain the definition of "insignificant" to you. Insignificant means exactly what I wrote below. If something is insignificant, you would not be unhappy about it. If it were truely insignificant, you might not even notice it or at most be indifferent to it.

Just go suck your mom's cock and stop wasting my time.
You have plenty of time to waste because judging from your posts, your whole life has been a waste.

this is exactly why I mock you so.
Well if that is your intention, you are grossly inept at that as well. Anyone with even a semblance of intelligence and maturity can see that all you are doing is embarrasing yourself. If you seriously think there is anything even remotely witty or clever about what you have written, you are truely pathetic. Puerile doesn't even begin to describe it.

If you want to continue to demonstrate yourself to be a childish imbecile by posting in this thread, go ahead, but I have better things to do with my time than read and respond to your drivel.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 01:46.

34. ... Dec 24, 2006, 22:52 theyarecomingforyou

Then you haven't been reading me long enough to know that I am much wittier than that.
I don't think that writing "moron" every other sentence is especially witty... in fact it strikes me as rather unimaginitive.
It was you who labeled the outage as insignificant.
Yes, I did notice... it was intentional.
My point was that other Steam customers don't think so.
Yes, and I never said that wasn't the case. That is a COMPLETELY different point to the one you made originally. What you said was that myself and Valve were the ONLY people that considered it insignificant and that was wrong, as Tango demonstrated. YOU WERE WRONG. It's not semantics. YOU WERE FUCKING WRONG. Ha! (Cock) You're only embarassing yourself by trying to cover for your mistake. I know it might be hard for you but in grown-up land we have to accept when we were wrong and the embarassment that accompanies it... then we can learn from our mistake. Jumping up and down whilst calling me a moron doesn't improve your standing but instead further diminishes what little you have (mainly from people who don't know that you're a tit-wank-cock-munching-ass-licking cretin). I bet your mother doesn't even talk to you (apart from the groans during intercourse).
LOL! Of course they are.
No, they are not. I can be unhappy that a store clerk short-changed me for 10 pence but that does not change the fact that it is still an insignificant event. You claim to be reasonable but this is exactly why I mock you so. The thing with debate is that you are meant to look at things objectively... instead you just stick to your absolute viewpoint and will not let anything alter it. That means that when you make a mistake you just keep fighting to defend it until you are cowering in a corner with nowhere to turn. Just go suck your mom's cock and stop wasting my time.

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

33. Re: ... Dec 24, 2006, 22:06 Riley Pizt

No you didn't. A power outage does not offer any hint as to what Valve thinks of its paying customers.
Since you are so insistent for me to elaborate, here it is. Since Valve is obviously smart enough as a company to build the Steam network, then it is obviously smart enough to know that the network can also fail or become unavailable. And, that very thing has occured many times in the history of Steam. So, it's not as if the notion of having a working contigency in the case of failure was an unknown concept. Valve's lack of infrastructure and working contingencies to prevent this outage from negatively affecting its customers clearly demonstrates that Valve doesn't or at least didn't think that its customers were important enough for it to commit the financial resources and manpower necessary to acquire that infrastructure and implement working contingencies. To put it in simple terms you can understand, Valve didn't want to spend the money on a working backup because it didn't think that its customers warranted one. So, it's no wonder that Valve expressly doesn't guarantee the availability of Steam to its customers in the Steam subscriber agreement. It doesn't think its customers are worth the expense.

YOU ARE WRONG. Get over it.
You obviously never tire of being wrong. You are simply an imbecile, and unfortunately your condition appears to be chronic.

But that is completely different to the point that you made. You said that ONLY Valve and myself considered the outage insignificant and I challenged that. Yet more of your bullshit. Also, just because people are unhappy with it does not mean it can't be insignificant... they are not mutually exclusive.
No, it is not a completely different point. You are simply arguing over sematics because you are wrong on substance. It was you who labeled the outage as insignificant. My point was that other Steam customers don't think so. And, if the outage were truely insignificant, it also wouldn't be reported as news here.

Also, just because people are unhappy with it does not mean it can't be insignificant... they are not mutually exclusive.
LOL! Of course they are. You are so bereft of any valid or pertinent positions on the subject of this thread that all you have are arguments over semantics, and even those aren't valid. Look up the meaning of the word insignificant. Something which is "not worth considering" or which "lacks influence" is not going to make someone unhappy or move them to any emotion. Indifference is the response to something which is insignificant.

And you have the audacity to call me childish?
It doesn't take audacity to see that you are childish. just plain observation

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 22:32.

32. Re: ... Dec 24, 2006, 21:33 Riley Pizt

Please, Riley Pizt, don't quote...when the full sentance he said was...it just helps me get more entertainment out of it.
His full sentence was just as ridiculous as the snippet I quoted. There was no need to repeat it. You can still see that he is an imbecile from the part I quoted. Plus, you have to be pretty lazy if you can't scroll down the page a few inches and read the whole line.

(but, hey, I'm sure your answer will just be "fuck you")
You haven't been reading me very long, or you would know that I am much wittier than that.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 22:40.

31. Re: ... Dec 24, 2006, 16:54 Kosumo

Please, Riley Pizt, don't quote -

" I will continue to use childish insults "

when the full sentance he said was -

' I will continue to use childish insults until you are reasonable about Valve, their products and the computer industry in general - so for the rest of eternity. "

Thanks, it just helps me get more entertainment out of it. (but, hey, I'm sure your answer will just be "fuck you")

30. Re: ... Dec 24, 2006, 16:39 Tango

nd while their devotion may be seriously misguided, they shouldn't have to do without their favorite toys just because Valve doesn't value them enough to spend the money and do the steps necessary to support them properly and allow them to play their games every time they wish.
What do you care? You've said you don't play Valve's games. Why does it bother you? I am a Valve customer and it doesn't bother me. If it were a regular occurance then it would. But it's not.

And I have several other games I should be trying to get through. Oblivion, FEAR and (don't laugh) SimCity4.

29. ... Dec 24, 2006, 15:07 theyarecomingforyou

I just did spell it out.
No you didn't. A power outage does not offer any hint as to what Valve thinks of its paying customers. YOU ARE WRONG. Get over it.
The magnitude of your obliviousness is staggering. This latest outage clearly demonstrates the very failings of the Steam software
Yes, but that is different the point you made originally.
LOL! Of course it does.
YOU ARE WRONG. This is why I resort to childish remarks - you are unable to accept when your mistakes or anything that doesn't support your arguement!
I don't need every Steam user to think they aren't insignificant to prove that they aren't. I only need one. And guess what? A few posted in this very thread that they weren't happy with the outages. And, I have no doubt that there are plenty more who feel that way.
But that is completely different to the point that you made. You said that ONLY Valve and myself considered the outage insignificant and I challenged that. Yet more of your bullshit. Also, just because people are unhappy with it does not mean it can't be insignificant... they are not mutually exclusive.
It's not like the legion of Valve's fawning toadies have any other games they want to play.
And you have the audacity to call me childish? Honestly, you should grow up and get over your hatred of Valve. Then you can get back to raping your mum up her shit-shoot. Perhaps when your age reaches the double digits we can have a sensible discussion. I guess your father must have abused you or something because you're seriously messed up.

28. Re: ... Dec 24, 2006, 11:09 Riley Pizt

Who the fuck cares if for one 20 hour period out of the 2 years HL2 has been available (pretty much faultlessly in my experience) you can't play it
First, that is far from the only time in the history of Steam when a game on Steam has been "unavailable" for any customer. Second, the people who care are the customers who are rightfully complaining.

Play another fucking game.
Thank you, Marie Antionette. It's not like the legion of Valve's fawning toadies have any other games they want to play. And while their devotion may be seriously misguided, they shouldn't have to do without their favorite toys just because Valve doesn't value them enough to spend the money and do the steps necessary to support them properly and allow them to play their games every time they wish.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 12:24.

27. Re: ... Dec 24, 2006, 11:05 Riley Pizt

Please do spell it out as I seemingly can't understand your point.
I just did spell it out. Sure I could make it even simpler and more lengthy, but quite frankly given your obviously limited intelligence you still wouldn't understand it.

Nowhere in a power outage does it imply that Valve could, or should, change the one of the fundamental principles of Steam
The magnitude of your obliviousness is staggering. This latest outage clearly demonstrates the very failings of the Steam software and of Valve's poor support of its customers that I have mentioned copious times on this forum. Another user (Brick) below even posted how offline mode had failed him. If your head wasn't up Valve's ass, you would see this.

It doesn't "prove" anything of the sort.
LOL! Of course it does. Customers could not play their games because of Valve's shortsightedness and its refusal to give customers more control over their purchases.

Trying to suggest that Valve is the exception, however, would be ridiculous and I doubt something even YOU would try to claim.
Sure Valve may not be the only company which provides poor customer service and needlessly hampers what its customers can do with the products they purchase, but that still doesn't make its actions (and inaction) acceptable.

So you personally asked the opinion of every other person that uses Steam and found that only I felt this way?
Look, moron, you are the one who proclaimed that these outages were insignificant. I don't need every Steam user to think they aren't insignificant to prove that they aren't. I only need one. And guess what? A few posted in this very thread that they weren't happy with the outages. And, I have no doubt that there are plenty more who feel that way.

I will continue to use childish insults
That is certainly no surprise since everything about you appears to be childish. I think you should also hold your breath until you turn blue in the face.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 14:00.

26. Re: ... Dec 24, 2006, 09:46 Tango

Who the fuck cares if for one 20 hour period out of the 2 years HL2 has been available (pretty much faultlessly in my experience) you can't play it - go watch TV, read a book, go for a run or something.

Yes, it's annoying. Yes, it's unneccessary. Yes, Steam's offline mode is shit. But honestly, get some perspective here, it's not like they're preventing you from a liver transplant here. Play another fucking game.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 09:47.

25. ... Dec 23, 2006, 18:34 theyarecomingforyou

As usual you are so obtuse that I have to spell everything out for you. No, moron, what it says is that Valve could change Steam so that it doesn't penalize its paying customers every time Steam is "unavailable" to them.
It doesn't say anything of the sort. Please do spell it out as I seemingly can't understand your point. Nowhere in a power outage does it imply that Valve could, or should, change the one of the fundamental principles of Steam - you just take your point-of-view and warp everything else around it. You can try all you want but I won't tolerate your shit.

So, moron, what this and the lack of redundancy proves is that Valve doesn't care enough about its customers to spend money and do the other things necessary to provide them with access to the games they paid for whenever they want to play them.
It doesn't "prove" anything of the sort. All it proves is that their redundancy plans were ineffective. Again stop warping everything to fit your perverted point-of-view.

LOL! Even if those occasions you mentioned were all of the times that Steam has been unavailable for every customer (and it ISN'T by far), that is still too many.
Any outage is one outage too many for any product or service, so obviously that is no different for Valve. Trying to suggest that Valve is the exception, however, would be ridiculous and I doubt something even YOU would try to claim.

Insignificant only to you and Valve.
So you personally asked the opinion of every other person that uses Steam and found that only I felt this way? No? So you again just pulled shit out of your ass? Thought as much. You're really not doing yourself any favours here.

You have just proven once again that you are nothing but a childish imbecile who does nothing but suckle at Valve's teat.
I will continue to use childish insults until you are reasonable about Valve, their products and the computer industry in general - so for the rest of eternity. I admit that I liked HL2. I will also admit that I thought HL2-EP1 was shit and that the delays that have plagued every Valve product are pathetic, unreasonable and beyond excuse. I admit that Valve bundling TF2 and Portal with EP2 only to have it delays by over 6 months is unreasonable and that Valve are too reliant upon the success of Half-Life and Counter-Strike. Finally, I freely admit that you're an asshole and that you will never listen to reason. So, go rub up against a leper and get skull-fucked by a blue whale.

24. No subject Dec 23, 2006, 17:25 ventry

It's LONG past time where companies took care of their PAYING customers rather than treat them ALL as potential criminals.
NEWS FLASH!!!
Piracy of computer games has been around since before the Commodore 64 days and even then the doom and gloom about it bringing the industry down was just as loud as it is today.
Fast forward to today and the industry has not rolled over and died but, has in fact got stronger.
There is no need for treating cutomers like criminals.
Companies like Valve need to realize that YOUR GAMES WILL GET PIRATED!!
Treating your customers like criminals will not change this.
A simple 10 minute search yealded half a dozen different ways to play Steam games for free.
Some of which allows you to DIRECTLY download from STEAM itself. LARF! (solid security there Valve)
EP1 was out and about (hacked and released) 2 days after it's release.
So please explain why legit cusomer need to be tied down with draconian DRM's???
I have purchaced HL and HL2 so, my Steam is legit but, I will NEVER give Valve (or any developer who uses DRM like Starforce etc.) another cent of my money while they continue to treat me and other legit customers as criminals.
Wake up and and stop biting the hand that feeds you.

23. Re: Remote site? Dec 23, 2006, 15:45 Tigger

That's not neccessary, all they need are backup generators

Backup generators can't help you when your data lines go down as well.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President
Fixed my quotes
This comment was edited on Dec 23, 15:45.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

22. Credit people for lost time Dec 23, 2006, 15:03 Kxmode

With a free game or some sort of compensation. This "We're sorry" crap doesn't cut it anymore.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://www.bandwidthbling.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode

21. Re: ... Dec 23, 2006, 13:12 Riley Pizt

Actually, it doesn't say anything whatsoever regarding what Valve thinks of its paying customers... absolutely fucking squat.
As usual you are so obtuse that I have to spell everything out for you. No, moron, what it says is that Valve could change Steam so that it doesn't penalize its paying customers every time Steam is "unavailable" to them. Removing the needless restrictions and limitations on so-called offline mode would be a good start. However Valve is so worried that people will use unauthorized copies of its games that it won't do that. It would rather its paying customers be without their games when they want them. Meanwhile the barn door has long been open for those willing to hack Steam.

So, what this and the lack of redundancy proves is that Valve doesn't care enough about its customers to spend money and do the other things necessary to provide them with access to the games they paid for whenever they want to play them.

apart from this freak weather event and the launch of HL2, the first full-scale implementation of Steam encryption, there has been virtually zero downtime
LOL! Even if those occasions you mentioned were all of the times that Steam has been unavailable for every customer (and it ISN'T by far), that is still too many.

and even those few occasions have been pretty insignificant.
Insignificant only to you and Valve. You may be willing to do without your games when you want to play them because you are a Valve sycophant, but every customer is NOT.

I won't even bother continuing because you have demonstrated on numerous occasions that you are an unreasonable anti-Valve asshat with especially small genitalia and a predisposition to intercourse with your terminally ill mother (ill from AIDS that you gave her, which you contracted from ass-fucking monkeys). I hope you get leprosy for Christmas, though we can't all get our Christmas wishes.
You have just proven once again that you are nothing but a childish imbecile who does nothing but suckle at Valve's teat.

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 00:09.

20. No subject Dec 23, 2006, 11:42 Brick

I guess the biggest problem with the outage was that when Steam found an internet connection but no servers it required you to log in again and when the log in was unsuccessful it made the off line mode unavailable as well. Unacceptable in my book.

Positives: When running, I can acccess all my software purchases from anywhere and software is indeed easy to purchase and acquire providing you have the bandwidth. Great for multi-player.

Negatives: The fact that Steam\HL2 and DOD:Source are the only software products I have on my computer that give me a BSOD every once in a while. Don't see the cost savings I would have expected although there have been some nice packages lately. Still needs a lot of work!

19. Easy Dec 23, 2006, 11:32 venomhed

Use two collocations in different states, half the servers, half in the other with pointers mixed for the client.

Isn't rocket science. But it is expensive.

The real problem is steam match making. The good ol days of "insert ip address of server" are gone and not usually a choice anymore in games. Sucks.

18. No subject Dec 23, 2006, 11:01 MMORPGHoD

CS and other online games like WoW and GW are one thing, but not being able to play HL2:EP1 because a storm hit a thousand miles away is definitely not a improvement for the consumer. We as consumers should be pressuring Valve to prevent this from happening again.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 11:02.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo