Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Xbox 360 Warranties Extended

Microsoft is retroactively extending the warranty period for Xbox 360s purchased in the United States and Canada from 90 day to one year, as it is most everywhere else. This will include refunds for those who have already paid for repairs that would have been covered under this warranty:

REDMOND, Wash. - Dec. 22, 2006 - In a move to benefit customers, Microsoft Corp. announced today that it will change the Xbox 360 warranty from 90 days to one year from the date of purchase in the United States and Canada. Microsoft extended the warranty in these territories to be consistent with the standard one-year Xbox 360 warranty that is available throughout most of the world. The news is reason to celebrate this holiday season; it applies to both would-be purchasers and those who already have Xbox 360 and are still within their first year of ownership.

Effective today, the one-year warranty is now the standard for the Xbox 360 console. Customers who experience hardware issues with their Xbox 360 within one year of purchase can have their consoles repaired at no cost. Moreover, the new warranty policy is retroactive, so consumers who may have already paid for an out-of-warranty Xbox 360 repair within one year of purchase will be eligible for reimbursement of their console repair charges.

Customer satisfaction is a central focus and priority for the Xbox 360 system, said Jeff Bell, corporate vice president of Global Marketing for the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft. In addition to jaw-dropping features such as high-definition graphics, an amazing catalog of over 160 games, and social online and entertainment experiences on Xbox Live., the Xbox 360 system now offers this extended warranty upgrade. It is truly the industry's most compelling home entertainment offering.

Customers who have already paid out-of-warranty repair charges within their first year of ownership can expect reimbursement checks for the amount of their console repair in approximately 10 weeks. Reimbursements will be automatically distributed, so customers need not contact Microsoft. Customers who have questions regarding this policy change or experience any hardware issues should visit http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/contact where they can check their warranty status, find troubleshooting information for common issues and find Xbox support contact information.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2006, 04:25 Muscular Beaver

But on the other hand, I cannot recommend the console to anyone without warning them of the failures first...

I like to recommend it to people I dont like.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 04:25.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2006, 22:15 Malachii

I am on my third console as well and I feel every one I get back from MS is only going to make it another couple months.

Funny thing is, out of folks at work with one, out of 8 people, only one of them is still on their first 360.... Industry standard failure rate my ass...

In a way, I am torn because the live backend and games coming out recentely are superb. But on the other hand, I cannot recommend the console to anyone without warning them of the failures first...

21. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2006, 20:35 Charlie_Six

This is awesome news for me. I was planning on selling my 360 after the 3 month warranty was nearing its end. Now i can keep it  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

20. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2006, 19:43 Bet

Probably not. Those store-run warranties are designed to make them money, not benefit you.

19. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2006, 17:06 Gdiguy

Well this is annoying, I spent the money to buy a 2-year warrantee from MicroCenter specifically because of the 90 day one (and the problems they were having)... I wonder if they'll bother extending theirs

18. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2006, 16:32 lux

My 360 died a couple of days ago after having it for about 8 months. 2 days ago they told me on the phone that its not covered under the warranty and after sending an email to their support I was told to contact a supervisor by phone again. I was eventually able to get ahold of someone today at their phone support and should be able to get a replacement 360.

The problem I had with mine is it was one of the original ones that apparently has overheating problems. It started by randomly freezing up then recently I tried to load a game and it froze and displayed red and black rectangles all over the screen. When I shut it down then, started the 360 back up, the 360 logo displayed then froze and showed the red and black rectangles all over the screen again. I'm hoping this does not continue to occur with newer model 360's or whatever replacement they give me. Really disappointing to have this happen to expensive hardware that I know I've taken good care of.

17. Re: Xbox 360 on PC LCD Dec 22, 2006, 16:19 Skookum

Recommended if you don't have an HDTV at home. I find it more convenient to play games on my 'puter screen anyways.

16. Re: Stop whjining Dec 22, 2006, 16:04 Muscular Beaver

this is a good thing, more than what Sony would do..they're too arrogant to care less
Dude, the PS3 had 1 year warranty from the beginning.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

15. Xbox 360 on PC LCD Dec 22, 2006, 14:14 Flo

You need to buy the VGA HD cable for about 30 bucks. Then it works fine. I have a 20" widescreen TFT myself hooked up to my 360.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

13. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2006, 14:08 Cutter

Do the 360's work with a PC LCD monitor?

"I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!"
- Cal Naughton, Jr., Talladega Nights

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

12. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2006, 13:23 Masa

I'm on my 3rd 360 and this still happens on a regular basis.

Hey, I think you and I belong to some club by now. If I ever meet you, I'll buy you the alcoholic beverage of your choice.

Though I've not really heard that many problems occurring with the PS3 (haven't really looked into it either), I'm curious if Sony will run into the same problems MS is now, manufacture wise.

11. Link? Dec 22, 2006, 12:54 Quaternion

Can we get a link to the article?

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 12:54.

10. Re: About time Dec 22, 2006, 12:06 MMORPGHoD

Step in the right direction. I don't plan on getting a 360 until their next revision of what should be more reliable 360 hardware. Hopefully by then I won't need to worry about the need to pay for replacements. Over two years my PC is more cost effective at the rate 360s are dying.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 12:07.

9. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2006, 11:53 Pedle Zelnip

90 day warranty actually legal over there?
I guess I'm too used to having minimum 2 year warranty on pretty much everything in Norway

Of course the 360 itself is also siginificantly more expensive in Norway as well.

PZ
------------
Reading: Nothing yet, planning on reading Isaac Asimov's "The Robots of Dawn" shortly

PZ
------------

8. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2006, 11:29 Pedle Zelnip

Hilarious. Microsoft is actually trying to say this is for the benefit of customers?! .....

I, like I would imagine any North American consumer, share your skepticism about MS's motives, but come on, you have to admit this is great news for 360 gamers.

PZ
------------
Reading: Nothing yet, planning on reading Isaac Asimov's "The Robots of Dawn" shortly

PZ
------------

7. Stop whjining Dec 22, 2006, 11:22 Wildone

this is a good thing, more than what Sony would do..they're too arrogant to care less

6. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2006, 11:20 The Half Elf

Yeah but ya never had to worry about throwing the 360 controller into your TV either.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. About time Dec 22, 2006, 11:09 Smoove

It's a shame they took so long in deciding this (and over a year since the console launched). Many owners, such as myself, with consoles well past the 90 day warranty (but under 1 year) took it upon ourselves to try to fix the console. With MS asking $140 + shipping to fix your 360 as well as numerous reports they would simply ship you someone else's "repaired" console (which would often last only a few weeks), it was a reasonable choice. I was able to get my premium system running for a while longer on my own, but ultimately it bit the dust.

I found a $40 off any purchase of $199 or more coupon online for Circuit City, so I was able to pick up a replacement core system for $260 (I just swapped over all my premium accessories) . Better yet, CC was including a free play and charge kit (worth $20) with every console purchase.

While I think MS got cheap with the internal build quality (judging from all the dead consoles), this 1 year warranty is a very nice thing as a bad console will almost certainly die within that period from what I've seen.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 11:11.

4. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2006, 11:06 nin

as are most things Nintendo makes

My cube lasted until I hooked up the Revo...5 years...I do think the drive was wearing out by the end though...

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.richardcheese.com/ http://www.myspace.com/richardcheese

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo