Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

CPL Game Announced

This PDF Press Release (thanks Shacknews) announces development of Severity by the Cyberathlete Professional League, a competitive multiplayer game that will use an unspecified id Software engine (the DOOM 3/Megatexture engine is the only id technology not released under the GPL at this point). The CPL's foray into creating their own game is being directed by Tom Mustaine, recently of Ritual Software, and word is testing should start by the end of next year:

DALLAS, TX – December 18, 2006 – The Cyberathlete Professional League® (CPL), the world’s most recognized brand in professional videogame tournaments, today announced the creation of project “Severity,” a new multiplayer game developed for both PC and console systems.

Severity is a multiplayer first person shooter (FPS) focusing on team-versus-team and one-versus-one play modes. Additionally, the game offers unprecedented support for gamers worldwide playing in online and live competitions both casually and professionally.

“Severity will be the first videogame conceived from the ground up to ensure the growth and appeal of multiplayer game competitions worldwide,” said Tom Mustaine, Director of Game Development at the CPL’s new studio.

Severity is built on technology created by developer id Software™ and includes enhanced tournament support, spectator modes, as well as detailed player and tournament statistics tracking. By leveraging the enthusiastic community and practical experiences of the CPL, Severity is uniquely positioned to set new standards while raising the bar for competitive multiplayer games.

According to Mr. Mustaine, former studio director of Dallas-based Ritual Entertainment, the league expects to begin testing the new game with members of the video-gaming community before the end of 2007.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Dec 18, 2006, 22:29 Masa

Uh, did you just suddenly forget how to read altogether, dude? That's that I'm guessing by your answer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Dec 18, 2006, 19:43 Riley Pizt

Nah, you need to go back and read your article.
Are you illiterate?

Here's a quote from the article I linked (http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=13606) which proves my Quake 3 prediction correct:

Mustaine told us...that the game will use id Software's Quake 3 Arena's networking system as its basis and a mix of id Software based Quake 3 graphical rendering along with refinements and improvements on their own.

I didn't say that Ritual would be making this game only that Quake 3 with Ritual's enhancements (which Mustaine would certainly be privy to) would be used.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 19:47.

19. Re: Dec 18, 2006, 15:14 Masa

I'd bet Riley is on the money with it being based on the Quake 3 with Ritual's Uber enhancements.

That's a bet you would have won.

Nah, you need to go back and read your article. Ritual's not even discussed as developing the game, and their only mention is Mustaine having left the company. Hell, they even state the company developing Severity for the CPL hasn't even registered a name yet.

So, unless you're inferring Ritual was making something like this for the CPL before some split occurred, you could just state that.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 15:17.

18. Re: Dec 18, 2006, 11:30 Riley Pizt

I'd bet Riley is on the money with it being based on the Quake 3 with Ritual's Uber enhancements.
That's a bet you would have won. See http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=13606

17. No subject Dec 18, 2006, 10:00 Anaardvark

I agree with #10. I also am looking forward to this greatly and like 10 I agree that nothing has surpassed Q3 for multiplayer, even to this day.

I still play RA3 even now every couple of weeks with friends and still enjoy it as much as I ever have.

I got out of the competition scene a long, long time ago but if they can nail this down properly it's going to be awesome.

16. Re: Dec 18, 2006, 07:16 Rseman

Id, Splash Damage and god knows he'd be in on the lie, too.... John Carmack all claim that Carmack came up with Megatexture...

However, I'll expect a retraction from all the above now you've let the truth out;P

Having read this thread and the offical pdf... I don't see anywhere it's mentioned which engine they intend to use. I'd bet Riley is on the money with it being based on the Quake 3 with Ritual's Uber enhancements. Like it says above, DooM is the only 'known' id tech not available under the GPL and, therefore, it's probably the least likely engine to get used.

15. Re: Based on ID's doom(ed) 3 engine? Dec 18, 2006, 01:44 Spectre-7

Dentrassi - I'd like to make a couple clarifications -- Technically speaking, the games you listed are still built on the Doom3 engine. Megatexture is an addition to the D3/Q4 codebase. Also, saying that ETQW's tech is developed primarily by Splash Damage isn't entirely correct. They're doing the game development, but AFAIK the bulk of core engine development is still Carmack and crew.

I'd agree that Doom 3 and Quake 4 were mediocre, but I don't think the problem was the engine. On technical basis alone, I still think they're beautiful and impressive games. I just wish the gameplay had been... ummm, at all innovative or creative. C'est la vie.

14. Re: Based on ID's doom(ed) 3 engine? Dec 18, 2006, 01:39 sponge

Plus, there is certainly nothing preventing the inclusion of hardware shaders and other eye candy to a Quake 3 derivative engine.

See CoD2. It's a terribly butchered Q3 engine by now, but it's still technically Q3.

13. Re: Based on ID's doom(ed) 3 engine? Dec 18, 2006, 00:54 Riley Pizt

My guess would be "c."
Given that the CPL is not made of money, my guess would be "none of the above." It will most likely be based upon Ritual's Quake 3 derivative stuff, and that makes sense since Mustaine is at the helm of this game. Given that the CPL recently reverted to Quake 3 from Quake 4, graphics are not the primary requirement for a CPL game. Plus, there is certainly nothing preventing the inclusion of hardware shaders and other eye candy to a Quake 3 derivative engine.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 01:04.

12. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2006, 00:36 Jerykk

Eh, the problem with bots is that they become so predictable. The bots in Q3 were pretty easy to kill, even on Nightmare difficulty. All you had to do was keep them away from direct-fire weapons like the Lightning Gun and Railgun and you could dispose of them without hassle. UT's bots were better, but only marginally so. Human players will always be more skilled (skill encompassing more than just aim) and less predictable than bots.

Oh yes, lest I forget: Tribes plz.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 00:38.

11. Re: No subject Dec 17, 2006, 23:52 MuzixMon

I really hope they include BOTS in this game as well. 90% of the time I'd rather play offline than on. I really loved playing bots in UT and Q3. I was always quite impressed how good their AI was.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

10. No subject Dec 17, 2006, 23:49 sponge

I for one am looking forward to this greatly. Quake4 was supposed to recapture the Q3 community spirit. While being moderately successful, it's not going to last.

If you're going to say any game made within oh, a good 5 years or so as being designed from the ground up competitively, you are either kidding yourself, or don't know what the definition of competition means. Looking at the top 10 games on Gamespy, you have CS, which caught on, but is a pretty competition designed game (besides CS:S), BF2/BF2142 which don't care about the comp scene (unlocks?), UT2004 which needs a competition mod, ET which needs a competition mod, CoD2 which needs a competition mod, and didn't even have the most basic of AC for a while, America's Army which I believe is played relatively plain, and Neverwinter Nights, an RPG.

When I'm playing an FPS for anything besides random pubbing (aka if I'm going to waste my time playing computer games, I might as well be competitive about it) I don't want the stupid gimmicks that make games "unique." I want balanced, normal weapons, superior map design with attention paid to ammo, weapon, and armor layout (no stupid gimmicky outdoor maps) physics that need to be MASTERED (trickjumps that can be used to outflank your opponent if performed right)

Give me a Quake3 over a Far Cry, BF, Prey any day of the week. I'll play any three of those latter games, and I'll even be able to clock 100+ hours on it, however soon to be 8 years later, I'm still playing Quake3 at least 4 times a week.

Basically, if they come through with this, I'm psyched. Quake3 was the pinnacle of 1v1 competition as evidenced my continuing competition support today. This is the only game in the near future that could unseat the mighty Q3 for 1v1.

9. Re: No subject Dec 17, 2006, 22:17 The Half Elf

Come on Raven, gimme another Jedi Knight Game with the Doom 3 engine

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

8. No subject Dec 17, 2006, 21:18 Chicken

I was hoping for a game where you play games as a CPL player.

Barring that, EA could do CPL Manager 2007, and buy the rights to the players names, not that anyone knows/cares who the hell competes in CPL anyway.

7. Re: Based on ID's doom(ed) 3 engine? Dec 17, 2006, 21:06 Swerv

I really liked Q3A, loved playing 8 vs 8 RA3 on some big maps, especially when having a break from TDM and CTF matches.

First I've heard of CPL developing a game, I wonder if they'll make a new official "fps" every couple of years?

6. Re: Based on ID's doom(ed) 3 engine? Dec 17, 2006, 20:45 Acleacius

No kidding and how you like that BS about the first game designed from the ground up for competition, yeah that's never been done before. <shock and awe>

O'boy another Doom engine game weeeeee, nothing like being forced to play indoor levels for more than 10 Fing years.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: Based on ID's doom(ed) 3 engine? Dec 17, 2006, 20:39 Dentrassi

Actually, it won't be based on Doom 3. That engine is extremely old, and has already proven its limitations with two mediocre products (Doom 3, Quake 4) and one sorta good one (Prey).

It will likely be based on either:
a) ETQW's tech (aka the "Megatexture" technology), developed primarily by Splash Damage.
b) Wolfenstein's tech, developed primarily by Raven, which the world hasn't seen yet.
c) Some new id-created tech.

My guess would be "c."

4. Re: Based on ID's doom(ed) 3 engine? Dec 17, 2006, 18:24 D3lirious

If it's another q3/q4 they can keep it. If they can capture the magic of q2, I've already bought it.

3. Re: Based on ID's doom(ed) 3 engine? Dec 17, 2006, 18:00 dubfanatic

Yeah, I can't see many people besides a few "aspiring cyber-athletes" enjoying this.

2. Re: Based on ID's doom(ed) 3 engine? Dec 17, 2006, 17:16 Enahs

*yawn*

The CPL rules and such are so strict and asinine in many cases that the games you play in the CPL are no longer actually fun.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo