Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade Patch

As noted in the Relic Forums, a new patch for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade is now available, updating the RTS expansion to version 1.11. Word is: "Relic has just released Patch 1.11 for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade. This patch adds subtitles to loading screens and in game movies to region specific versions of Dark Crusade. Additionally, installation of patch 1.11 allows for all languages to be able to play against each other online." The update can be applied automatically from within the game, and there's also a manual patch, which can be found on 3D Gamers, The Patches Scrolls, Strategy Informer, and Worthplaying.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2006, 10:39 General Ego

wow, what's with the DoW hate?

I'm not too happy about several changes (I loved the vehicles and the restrictive cap isn't too appealing to me), but overall it't still a great game even with the newest patch and WA and/or DC. Then again I neither play it in multiplayer/competitively nor can I play CofH on my Win2k machine so maybe I'm missing something here...

{ There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt }

|[ Jesus is coming. Look busy! ]|
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2006, 00:13 .Drifter

The only map that has given me any real trouble is the Tau stronghold. Partly because of all the stealthed snipers, and partly because the minute the map loads you're being attacked.
So far I only have 2 complaints about the game, one of which the Tau base reminded me of.
1. The AI seems too partial to a Zerg rush on a lot of the maps.
2. Necrons. They really need to balance out and improve the rez ability. Some maps I'm fighting nonstop since they seem to rez almost as fast as they drop. Other maps, only their leader rezes.

11. Re: No subject Dec 17, 2006, 14:58 Than

Indeed, the Necrons are very broken right now, far more powerfull then the other races. Fortunately, Relic has admitted this and they are getting a good nerf when the next balance patch comes out.

This patch doesn't really fix anything. The single issue fixed is a subtitle issue in foreign languages, not really worth downloading imo. When the balance patch comes out though, this game will be put back into my LAN lineup.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 14:58.

10. Re: No subject Dec 17, 2006, 02:28 Creston

I love this game. I'm not sure why people are saying the AI is crap, there are about five maps where even on Normal the AI gives you an incredible battle. Some of the maps just work too much in your favor, but (for example) if you leave the IG too much on that map just to their left, they will crush you like a bug.

Finished with Space Marines, Tau (awesome race, very cool units), Necron (hideously overpowered) and currently working on Orc. The only shame is that the scripted maps are too easy, and they get boring after you've played them twice or so.

Creston

9. Re: No subject Dec 17, 2006, 02:23 PHJF

I found Winter Assault even more boring than Dark Crusade. Even though it was a generic campaign, the maps were good and the new races made it enjoyable enough to play through twice.

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: No subject Dec 17, 2006, 02:13 Jow

I like what they've done with the two new races in Dark Crusade. However, the campaign missions are repetitive in the extreme, skirmishes like someone mentioned, but often longer and much spammier than the traditional skirmish. The commander customization (wargear) is pretty uninteresting because you will eventually have all the gear, so choice of gear is pretty unimportant. Overall, the campaign in DC is the least interesting to me by far.

7. Re: No subject Dec 17, 2006, 01:38 .Drifter

No storyline at all because of the turn based concept. Boring.

Well, from that comment right there I doubt you ever finished Dark Crusade. No Story? Yeah, right. Each army has it's own story, which you pick up pieces of as you defeat each side. After defeating all sides you get the story cap that says how it all turns out for which ever side you played through as.
Personally, I've like Dark Crusade better than the others in the series. Maybe that's just because I played the game to skirmish mainly though.
Oh, and dirty brown and black against snow. Uh, Winter Assault, not summer, set on a war torn planet, so it's not all that suprising it's brown, black, and white.

Egh, the entire single-player game consists of generic skirmishes?
Well, not quite. While the goal of most of the missions is to destroy the enemies headquarters on that map, a few are different. One, you have to kill a certain number of enemies before the enemy kills a certain number of your units. In another you have to gather a certain number of bots before the enemy does. In one you have to wipe out the enemies army before he wipes out yours, and you cannot reinforce while he can. And finally, for each enemy stronghold there are several optional missions you can do which usually make destroying the enemy stronghold easier. But yes, it's basically you picking one skirmish map after another while fending off enemy counter attacks against your territories. Kind of like Risk, but with DoW units.
This comment was edited on Dec 17, 01:47.

6. Re: No subject Dec 17, 2006, 01:35 Jerykk

Egh, the entire single-player game consists of generic skirmishes? I've found that to be a common problem with single-player RTSes that let you choose which territories to conquer. BFME1&2, SW:EAW, etc. Since RTS AI is pretty lackluster, the only way to make them fun to fight against is through good level design and generic skirmishes aren't good level design. I have yet to play Dark Crusade, so I'll hold off judgment until then.

There must be some universal law that saws that something great has to be destroyed.

It's not a law, it's a disease. Called consolitis. More and more original PC franchises are getting infected with it and the future does not bode well. Though, I wouldn't declare DoW infected yet. Now, if DoW2 is codeveloped for the X360 and PC, then that will be the time to call the doctors.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 01:39.

5. Welcome to Last Month Dec 16, 2006, 22:40 Raven

The post and patch you link to is dated November 29th.

4. Re: No subject Dec 16, 2006, 17:05 PHJF

You ass, Dark Crusade is great. Tau and Necron are balanced extremely well and are very very very different races.

Winter Assault sucked because Imperial Guard was so boring. Calling Necron boring is blasphemous.

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: No subject Dec 16, 2006, 16:44 Hornet303

DOW was good, I really liked that, I havent played any of the exp packs. Picked up Company of Heros and yeah, I dont imagine going back to the DOW series.

2. Re: No subject Dec 16, 2006, 16:31 Mr Gar

I loved and finished the first Dawn of War. I actually enjoyed the cut scenes with the storyline. The slightly camp Chaos sorcerer 'I command the darker powers" was my favourite. The kind of awesome 40K game I've been waiting for for years.

Finished Winter Assault with the 'good' side, final battle against the Necron was pretty cool but lost interest with the Ork campaign when I kept failing a level. Pretty good for an expansion I thought though. Imperial Guard were an interesting well developed new race.

I played 4 maps on Dark Crusade and uninstalled it. The Tau were an OK addition, not great though, and the Necron units are all very samey, bland and boring.

Worst of all the missions were just skirmishes and the AI is too crap to make that remotely enjoyable.

Also having picked up COH around the same time I just couldn't go back to DoW anymore.

Hopefully there will be a new DoW game using the newer engine. One day a decent turn based Final Liberation type game might be made again too.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 17:03.

1. No subject Dec 16, 2006, 16:05 Woody

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 16, 09:45.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo