Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Consolidation

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Wii-tastic Dec 12, 2006, 12:39 nin

Hit your girlfriend...blame it on the Wii.

Honestly, that was the first thing that crossed my mind, and I really hope it wasn't the case...

IE I really hope it was truly an accident, and not deliberate violence...

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.richardcheese.com/ http://www.myspace.com/richardcheese

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Dec 12, 2006, 12:39 Rseman

When using the Wii I forego all concern for how stupid I may look..... as far as I'm concerned, that wand IS a Tennis Raquet. I suffered hard the next day.

Still, I never bothered with the wrist strap because it seems to me that the secret to not dropping it is to remember not to let it go. Our TV still works and nobody required the services of the local ER.

Your kids will probably let it go because they have smaller hands, smaller attention spans and have at it with abandon. Only way I see people smashing their screens is standing too close or not paying enough attention. Nintendo can hardly be expected to ship you a brain with the Wii.... although that would be handy for some.

Smacking someone walking up behind you, however, is very simple. Been there, done that, got the postcard.... and still say it was their own fault.

21. Re: Wii-tastic Dec 12, 2006, 10:24 VoodooV

you gotta wonder how many people are just doing this shit to get attention.

got a broken TV? buy a Wii and blame it on the Wii. Hit your girlfriend...blame it on the Wii.

I'm not saying that's what happened, but if we can think it up, chances are someone's already done it.

20. Re: Wii-tastic Dec 11, 2006, 23:43 nin

SEE??? You're not supposed to jump around like a moron...
http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/show_article.php?id=64

GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

19. Re: Wii-tastic Dec 11, 2006, 13:47 Xenopulse

The Wii is not for me, but I wish it nothing but success. If it manages to get more people into gaming, that's good for all gamers in the long run.

P.S.: Does anyone else thing it's funny that the "Wii would like to play" guys from the commercial drive around in a German car?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_%28automobile%29

18. Re: Wii-tastic Dec 11, 2006, 12:20 nin

Now I don't know about him, but when I play, I just rest my right arm on my right leg and gently move the pointer. It's extremely sensitive, and only requires very tiny motions to move a large distance.

Ding ding ding! Winnah!

edit:
But how long is it going to take before people get bored of having to stand up, or wear out their arms to play a game?

Um, you don't have to do that now. Moron.

Don't you think the "moron" might be onto something if your counterpoint to his not buying into the gimmick is that you don't have to play games that way?

Nope. I'm playing the same as MOP and having a blast.

And Mr. "Boo-hoo-hoo I made this 63 character password and then I want to bitch about having to enter it" is a moron.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 12:24.

17. Re: Dec 11, 2006, 11:45 DrEvil

I think an area where the Wii falls short is, once you get outside of games where the controller is suitable, the 360 kicks the shit out of it.

Which is why Wii games are required to make use of its control setup. Afaik, making a Wii game for only the standard controller isn't an option. Of course this doesn't apply to the backward compatibility games. Sounds like a decent way to force developers to use the whole consoles attractiveness, though I'm still curious how some games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance control with the Wiimote, as it seems to me that the gameplay style would be very much tied to traditional control schemes.

16. Re: Dec 11, 2006, 10:50 Rseman

I think an area where the Wii falls short is, once you get outside of games where the controller is suitable, the 360 kicks the shit out of it. I mention 360 as we have the 360 and Wii and my opinion of Sony is low enough that a Playstation has even less chance than anything EA published making it into this house.

Where Wii is good, it's amazingly good. But outside of titles where that controller shines, I can't see anything it has over it's competitors other than price.... which is a big factor to be sure.

15. Re: No subject Dec 11, 2006, 06:48 PHJF

Pch... nobody got SHOT over a wii. I'm just going to keep waiting, patiently, for my jedi simulator.

Star Wars Kid, eat your fat heart out.

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: No subject Dec 11, 2006, 05:58 galewind

But I agree with PropheT that Nintendo will have a hard time with good 3rd party titles.

See, I'm not so sure about that. I know that there is going to be a dearth of crappy titles for it (and most of the "kiddie" games so far fit tbat bill), I know that many are excitd to work on a game with that kind of control scheme.

Now I'm no analyst or anything, but seeing the public going batshit crazy to get their hands on a wii (more than they did to get the 360 at launch) would indicate that creating some strong successful third party titles with good usage of the new controller scheme could be relatively easy. ESPECIALLY sice they already know how to program for it if they've made any games for the cube.

13. Re: No subject Dec 11, 2006, 05:04 Flo

I really applaud Nintendo for having such a strong start. They clearly showed that most of the people don't really care about 42" Plasma displays yet. I think it's the best choice for a family console. It's not the right thing for me since I'm hardcore gamer and I need my Gears of War, Rainbow Six Vegas, Dead Rising etc. but it is funny how Nintendo gives the big ones some serious headache.
But I agree with PropheT that Nintendo will have a hard time with good 3rd party titles.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

12. Wii-tastic Dec 11, 2006, 05:04 Icewind

Hmm, I just boguht a wii this past wednesday. Only had enough scratch to get Zelda, and I don't know where the guy was going with the "tired arm" thing.

Now I don't know about him, but when I play, I just rest my right arm on my right leg and gently move the pointer. It's extremely sensitive, and only requires very tiny motions to move a large distance. I suppose 12 years of playing FPS games has taught me to expect that, but, well, maybe the journalist didn't play them in college.

The only time I actually raise my arm is to swing or aim, and even then, not much. and if raising your arm tires you out, there are other problems you should be worrying about. Like chicken fat and what it can do to the ateries.

11. Re: No subject Dec 11, 2006, 03:59 PropheT

Yes, I actually consider the Wii's killer selling point as one of it's downfalls.

LOL!

But how long is it going to take before people get bored of having to stand up, or wear out their arms to play a game?

Um, you don't have to do that now. Moron.

Don't you think the "moron" might be onto something if your counterpoint to his not buying into the gimmick is that you don't have to play games that way?

The motion sensor is one of the big selling points of the console. If it's actually better to play the games without using it, then what's better about a Wii than one of the other consoles out there?

Do you own a DS? Have you noticed that 90% of the games out for it use the damn touch screen for stupid reasons, or for things that would have worked better with a traditional control style?

I like mine for some games... but for every title that comes out that's good there's 5 more that are released that are utter crap because of their poor use of the gimmick of the DS.

As much as I love Zelda and would love to play it on the Wii, my gamecube has been sitting and collecting dust because of its lack of good 3rd party exclusives; its controller was awkward and bad for 3rd party games (ones that didn't feel that way on other systems). How is the Wii different?

You've got a system that's just like the GameCube that will have some outstanding first party titles out for it. For anything else, even if you love the Wii, you have to concede that this guy has some good points.

10. Re: No subject Dec 11, 2006, 01:27 PHJF

Is the multiplay GoW faster paced than the singleplay? I found the slow, methodical approach to battles one of the game's more appealing qualities. If you can just quickly kill other players in one shot, running/taking cover seems rather pointless.

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."

9. Re: No subject Dec 11, 2006, 00:46 Masa

There are many on eBay just waiting for you to bid on.

LOL! If only I had the soul to lube the gears of capitalism, I'd sell.

Whoop, no, wait, school loans claimed that already.

8. Re: No subject Dec 10, 2006, 23:42 John

Hell, you can't even get a PS3 yet.
Sure you can. There are many on eBay just waiting for you to bid on.

This space is available for rent

7. Re: Gears weapon guide Dec 10, 2006, 23:19 Undead Scottsman

Try some multiplayer, PHJF.

6. Re: Gears weapon guide Dec 10, 2006, 22:57 PHJF

We played thru Gears on Hard, and the revolver was COMPLETELY worthless. We only ever used it to light the propane tanks.

And he is claiming its a one-shot headshot weapon? LOL, right. The longshot isn't even a one-shot headshot weapon.

Torque Bow 4 Life.

------

5. Gears weapon guide Dec 10, 2006, 22:48 raVen

Whoever wrote the weapon guide hasn't ever USED the pistol, the chainsaw is now useless against anyone that has played since launch, and any other melee attack is much better than the chainsaw because you aren't vulnerable right after you finish the chainsaw.

Example: Pistol whip is totally unrated, you whip twice they are DBNO (Down but not out) then you can either whip again or shoot. The thing most people don't notice is that the first time you whip someone you STUN THEM.

And for the Wii, I think the guy just wants to get his 5 mins of fame using a sharp stick on someone elses balloon. I'm happy with mine. He needs to check out bomberman '93, there is no tired arm and 5 player multiplayer. Take that angsty journalism!

4. Re: No subject Dec 10, 2006, 22:32 Parallax Abstraction

Yep, you basically said it right nin. This guy's just trying to get noticed by ragging on something that's generally getting positive buzz. I own a Wii and most of what he's complaining about is either a non-issue or are his opinion only. Some may like the Wii, some may not but this guy's reasons are in my opinion generally stupid.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Xfire: pxabstraction - Xbox Live: PXAbstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo