Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Vista on the Horizon

Steve Ballmer Kicks Off Most Significant Product Launch in Microsoft's History is the press release with more on the news, noted in an earlier Tech Bit, that Windows Vista is now available to volume licensing customers, along with the 2007 edition of Microsoft Office. Here's a bit from the announcement, which likely confirms the newest edition of MS's OS will make its most recent consumer release date of January 2007:

NEW YORK, Nov. 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- At a press conference at NASDAQ MarketSite in Times Square, Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT - News) Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer announced the business availability of the Windows Vista(TM) operating system, the 2007 release of Microsoft® Office, and a host of other new product offerings designed to enable businesses to thrive in a world of instant communication, expanding information and constant change.

Today's announcement that Windows Vista and the 2007 Microsoft Office release are available to volume licensing customers marks the beginning of the most significant product launch in company history and the first simultaneous release of Microsoft's flagship products since the joint launch of the Windows® 95 operating system and Office 95 more than a decade ago. Windows Vista and the 2007 Office system will be available to consumers and organizations without volume license agreements on Jan. 30. In addition to Windows Vista and the 2007 release of Office, Ballmer discussed more than 30 new offerings for business customers. A complete list is available at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/default.mspx .

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Pondering Dec 1, 2006, 11:00 nin

So what do you recommend: Does Vista or XP have a good enough compatibility mode for older games?

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.richardcheese.com/ http://www.myspace.com/richardcheese

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Pondering Dec 1, 2006, 05:09 Jerykk

Solution is simple. Dedicate a small, FAT32-formatted HD for your classic games and install Windows 98 on that. Then dual-boot.

14. Re: Pondering Dec 1, 2006, 01:30 Zephalephelah

Zee, I believe that backwards compatability issues are mostly of the past & that your games will work as they do now. However, that said, I did buy WingCommander2 on a new Win98 OS & the game moved so fast I thought it was a joke or that I wasn't really playing the game yet, but rather that the start of the game was of the lead character playing a video game. I mean, it was moving so fast it made Activision's Megamania look slow!!!

Anyway, to answer your other question, winXP upgrade-edition supports removing the OS & reverting back to win98, so I'm guessing that the same will hold true here. The dual-boot is also highly likely, but I don't think that it will fly so well. I'm thinking that you'll end up using XP because you are used to it & that will make your learning curve last longer. Maybe not a bad thing, but "why" if it is a good & useful OS system?

Anyway, you raised some good issues.

13. Pondering Nov 30, 2006, 22:16 zee

Just curious. How is the compatibility of Vista with DOS/Win 95,98,XP games. I just got me a bunch of old games from Lucasarts (Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, etc) and Black Isle (Fallout, Planescape) I had never played before. On the other hand I would like to be able to install some new on-line shooter like Quakewars when it comes out. I am still using Win 98 but my hardware should run Vista OK after I add a second GB of RAM.

So what do you recommend: Does Vista or XP have a good enough compatibility mode for older games? Or better wait until I finish playing all my “classic” collection?(That could take a while) Maybe I can set up some dual boot deal. Does XP or Vista support that out of the box or is it too much hassle? Maybe go “transgaming”, but I heard they take a while until they properly support some games and at 60 dollars per year (3 years approx.$= 1 Vista) it is not that cheap either. What would you do in my situation?

12. Re: Available Nov 30, 2006, 22:14 Warhawk

I HIGHLY doubt that a school would have this already.

1. It isn't out yet.
2. Schools NEVER have, never should, never will, use am OS that is 24 hours old. If a school did, well, then they shouldn't be a school or the IT manager should be fired immediately.

The only people that would want this right now should would be suckers. Sure I have used the beta in a Virtual environemnt, just to see what does, but deployment for my company and my business to Vista is at least 6 months out from January 07. Anything else is a joke.

He said they have the Enterprise Edition already with the volume licenses - he's in charge of maintaining computers for 1 or 2 schools for the entire district.

Shrug - he doesn't lie, and I see no reason for him to start now.

http://house-update.blogspot.com/

Last update: Thursday, November 30, 2006

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

11. Fook Vista Nov 30, 2006, 21:48 grudgebearer

I am not migrating to Vista period. When I started work at my company it was completely NT/2000/VMS for everything. I worked to move all of the servers to Redhat other than the two domain controllers.

Now my fellow staffers and I have created a migration plan to finally move the workstations to Linux also, and ditch M$ all together.

The licensing fees involved with deploying Vista in a company with right at 150 employees just isn't worth the cost.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

10. It's not bad Nov 30, 2006, 21:04 indiv

Vista is really pretty and I generally like it but I find some things a little unstable (media center, explorer, and some COM communication layer go through occasional crashing fits) and it uses up a crazy amount of resources to the point where I can't play WoW anymore with only 512 MB of RAM. I'd advise gamers to hold off unless you're getting a PC that comes with it pre-installed, which theoretically will mean that the PC is powerful enough. My laptop has a 2.9 rating because of the RAM speed, but all the other components are rated from 3.5 through 4.5.

(it's been available to MSDN subscribers for a couple weeks)

9. OMG!11!! Nov 30, 2006, 20:34 Creston

I am like, SO excited! It'd be nice to see this fail. Just to get rid of the forced upgrades microsoft rams down everyone's throat every three to five years.

Creston

8. Re: Available Nov 30, 2006, 20:20 venomhed

I HIGHLY doubt that a school would have this already.

1. It isn't out yet.
2. Schools NEVER have, never should, never will, use am OS that is 24 hours old. If a school did, well, then they shouldn't be a school or the IT manager should be fired immediately.

The only people that would want this right now should would be suckers. Sure I have used the beta in a Virtual environemnt, just to see what does, but deployment for my company and my business to Vista is at least 6 months out from January 07. Anything else is a joke.

7. Available Nov 30, 2006, 19:24 Warhawk

Friend of mine works for a school district and he said that they already have Vista and Office 2007 for use on school computers.

http://house-update.blogspot.com/

Last update: Thursday, November 30, 2006

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

6. Re: o_o Nov 30, 2006, 19:06 The Half Elf

Well you know how the world is flat, if we are lucky it'll fall off the edge

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: o_o Nov 30, 2006, 16:34 DrEvil

This piece of shit can stay on the horizon.

3. Re: No subject Nov 30, 2006, 15:30 jam777

DEVELOPERS!!!!

2. No subject Nov 30, 2006, 15:27 Jim

Steve Ballmer Kicks Off...

Cool, can't wait to see the monkeyboy/chairthrowing videos for this one.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 15:48.

Jim

1. MAC SUCKS Nov 30, 2006, 15:24 Wildone

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo