Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Garry's Mod on Steam

Valve announces plans to distribute a commercial version of Garry's mod for the Source engine via the Steam service:

November 27, 2006 - Independent Software developer Garry Newman and Valve today announce an electronic distribution agreement for Garry's MOD, the popular software utility downloaded by hundreds of thousands to create mini-games, many of the most popular movie shorts on web sites such as YouTube.com, and more.

"The new version has been created from scratch so almost everything has been revised and re-invented," said Garry Newman, creator of Garry's MOD. "It has a bunch of new tools to play with (winches, hydraulics and hoverballs), totally new spawn menu and a few new Post Processing effects to play with. The great thing about Steam is that I can update really regularly, really easily - which is something I plan on doing - so expect more tools/gamemodes/stuff to come."

The first commercial release of Garry's MOD will be made available on November 29, 2006. Since a Source-based product is required to run Garry's MOD, Valve will be offering a special bundle of Garry's MOD plus Counter-Strike: Source for just $24.95. For those who already own a Source-based game, Garry's MOD will be sold separately for just $9.95.

For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: No subject Nov 30, 2006, 19:42 The Raven

I don't mind Gary's Mod at all, but I do have to say I don't think it's 'teh future!!11!'. Specifically, Gary's Mod servers have very little stability... you aren't sure what you're getting when you join a server, the gameplay can vary widely from server to server.

This makes it perfect for LANs and small groups of players, but not so optimal on the Internet where you're joining some anonymous server with some anonymous admin with some unknown rules. Some people like the surprise... more don't. To compare the relative popularity of 'same old' vs 'differenty every time' why don't you look at how many Counter Strike servers are running the same top 4 maps compared to the number of Counter Strike servers playing all the other maps combined. And that's ignoring the fact that a different map in CS isn't really different gameplay compared to two differently configured Gary's Mod servers.

The Raven

Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. No subject Nov 28, 2006, 20:37 Dr.Hamstring

garys mod is the future of MP games, when users can make thier own games up on the spot, just like we did before video games.

19. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2006, 15:20 sponge

Thats right mr internet know it all , god forbid anybody to have an opinion different to yours eh.

suckers will buy this nobody else.

POT. KETTLE. BLACK.

[edit fucked up tags \o/]
#bluesnews on QuakeNet -- idle around it and get it going!
This comment was edited on Nov 28, 15:21.

18. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2006, 15:08 Storm23

Thats right mr internet know it all , god forbid anybody to have an opinion different to yours eh.

17. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2006, 13:52 sponge

Seconded

And thirded.

I figure if we keep seconding and thirding and fourthing, we may drown out the idiots like the one below me.

16. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2006, 13:06 Storm23

Spoken like an idiot who has clearly never used Garry's MOD. GG.

You know nothing , keep trying.

15. Garry's mod Nov 28, 2006, 10:24 EvilGrouse

PAY for the mod?? HA! I don't think so. NEXT!

14. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2006, 09:16 MeatForce

how can they sell something that was already in the game , it's fucking pathetic

Spoken like an idiot who has clearly never used Garry's MOD. GG.

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

13. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2006, 09:01 nin

The guy deserves a payday, relax.

Seconded.

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.richardcheese.com/ http://www.myspace.com/richardcheese

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: 24.99? Nov 28, 2006, 08:47 necrosis

Reading 4TW! Yeah im stupid. I just saw the big number and went WTF! And also stopped reading the post...

11. Re: 24.99? Nov 28, 2006, 08:42 tron

Garry's MOD will be sold separately for just $9.95

if you had just read 1 more sentence...

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

10. 24.99? Nov 28, 2006, 08:37 necrosis

Didn't he originally say it would only cost like 10$ when he said it was going to cost money months ago?

9. No subject Nov 28, 2006, 03:35 Hump

For those who had forgotten, this was announced awhile ago. He was ready to drop the project until they came up with this idea. The old version will still be available for free.

The guy deserves a payday, relax.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

8. No subject Nov 28, 2006, 03:05 Storm23

how can they sell something that was already in the game , it's fucking pathetic , suckers will buy this nobody else.

7. Re: Well, Nov 28, 2006, 02:40 Hunterzyph

Actually this is a good thing. Perhaps we'll see more mods with actual dedicated staff who can look forward to perhaps more than just a couple minutes in the lime light.

6. Well, Nov 28, 2006, 01:43 vacs

I still remember the times when MODs created by the community for available for free... What have we come to?

5. No subject Nov 28, 2006, 01:42 sponge

Congrats to Garry for finally having his project released. $10 is a pretty damn good price when you consider all the mini-mods that people make off of GMod; Zombie Survival being my favorite.

4. WOW, Garry Newman From the 80's? Nov 28, 2006, 00:22 Techie714 ©

Is this Garry Newman from 80's fame? /Sarcasm

http://www.redsunrecords.nl/catalog/mp3/Gary_Numan_-_Cars.mp3

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

3. No subject Nov 28, 2006, 00:07 Mystical PotatoHead Groove Thang

Ya. Because lincoln logs is sooooo much better than playing Half Life 2. Keep playing with your wood, lego-boy.

2. Re: No subject Nov 27, 2006, 23:21 PHJF

Isn't this just that sandbox thing that people make terrible machinima and ridiculously complex Rube Goldberg machines?

I grew up on Lincoln Logs, Legos, and K'Nex. The Incredible Machine is as far as I'd like to take my virtual imagination.

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo