Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite to Return?

Braben reveals Elite's Future on Computer and Video Games is a Q&A with Elite co-creator David Braben about the possibility that Elite will be making a return in an updated form. Braben expresses that Frontier Developments intends to follow their coming project The Outsider with not one, but two games based on the seminal '80s space combat game, one a single-play game (with "normal" multiplayer support) and an MMO variation. This is all speculative, as the new Elites would follow the completion of development of their next project, The Outsider, and will rely on some of that game's technology, so this all could change, but in the meantime, it provides hope for the fans of the original:

Braben told us, "There are two project designs that we've got now. One is a multiplayer game, the other is a single-player, still allowing multiplayer, but not massive multiplayer, which we do plan to do and that will follow on from The Outsider and use some of the technologies that that employs. That's the way they fit together."

Braben continued, "Certainly the first Elite incarnation will be a single player game, that supports multiplayer, but we're not talking thousands, we're talking tens of players."

While an Elite MMO still remains the ultimate dream (coincidentally as we argued for recently in our Bring It Back! feature,) Braben is under no illusions that it will be a simple task: "Although I think it's a long way off, one thing I'm wary of is that it's a very difficult game to provide for well. There will be groups of fans who will be very critical of what happens, that's true of every game really, but it's a lot of work to keep that going for a long time."

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Never happen Nov 20, 2006, 09:02 Wilf

This will never happen. This guy is too late and from the UK, where UK devs RARELY come through, and when they do, they do not adhere to the quality control standards we have in the states. So the games are buggy and crappy in the control area.

Not saying that American games aren't, we are just the cream of the shit pile.

Rare indeed but the irony here of course is that the finest of all UK developers, RARE, continue to set the standard that most other developers, including your beloved US developers, strive for.

But then they spent many years in bed with Nintendo and if you want the best in video gaming you still look to Japan.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Never happen Nov 19, 2006, 01:07 Masa

I'm just sayin' is all.

34. Re: Never happen Nov 18, 2006, 20:47 Creston

I'm pretty sure that Jade Empire originated in Canada, with Bioware. Most of those other ones came from the UK. The UK has had excellent development houses.

Creston

33. Re: Never happen Nov 18, 2006, 07:42 sir

This will never happen. This guy is too late and from the UK, where UK devs RARELY come through, and when they do, they do not adhere to the quality control standards we have in the states. So the games are buggy and crappy in the control area.

Please check your brain is in gear before engaging your mouth.

Where do you think the Medieval series (yes I know I was bashing it in another thread), GTA games, Black & White games (not my style, but some like them), Jade Empire, Quake Wars, Lego Star Wars to name just a few originated?

32. Re: Remakes Nov 18, 2006, 01:05 Masa

Elite
StarFlight
Star Control
Sentinnel Worlds
Space Rogue
Sun Dog

All great games that could EASILY be modernized and appealing, especially Star Control and Sun Dog.

Many, many, many...maaannnyy hours of fun were derived from more than a few of those games you listed, particularly Starflight and Starcontrol.

The problem with Elite is we all love it for what it was. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure you could take those game elements and recreate it today.

Oh hell, it's been done more than a few times already, and better too. I mean, the X series of games, and Terminus (once the community got done with it), practically surpassed Elite. Elite was just so far ahead of its time it stands out as being what it is, and will always maintain that initial awe for those who played it (especially those whose first was Elite). Could it stand on its own too feet today? Sure, if were massively updated, but then you'd still get those who would say it's "not true" to the original.

Or, as the concept Beamer likes to deny exists, some would look at the revived series through rose-colored goggles and not consider how time and circumstances affect things.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 01:12.

31. No subject Nov 18, 2006, 00:44 space captain

Especially when he can just crank out whatever rubbish a publisher happens to be paying for.

yeh smart - im sure you are an expert on that topic... except your level of rubbish is so extreme it prompts publishers to take legal action on your sorry ass

Go forth, and kill!

30. Derek Smart Nov 17, 2006, 22:58 venomhed

DSmart ripping on another game, wow, that's comedy gold!

Kind of the whole "pot calling the kettle black".

Or Paris Hilton calling Carmen Electra a cheap whore.

29. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2006, 22:56 Enahs

Do not just talk about it, play it, for free (legally)!
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/

You can get the PC Elite, or the PC Elite + (vga).

I personally think Elite is the greatest PC game, ever. But then again it was my very first PC game I ever played many many…many years ago, on a 286.

I loved the game. It was simple while yet being huge, vast and open. This gave it the feel of being incredibly complex while still being simple (i.e. simple controls, you do not have to learn about 500 different weapon systems, 500 different shield/defense systems, etc). You just did what you had to, to survive and prosper, and it was in the future in space! Best game evar!

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

BluesNews community frappr page:
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

28. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2006, 21:09 The Half Elf

Well I have to say Frontier did a good job of taking Roller Coaster Tycoon to 3D.

Honestly I think it's pretty easy to sell Elite 4 just on the name alone, as alot of people want another Elite game.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

27. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2006, 20:44 Creston

after the travesty that were the last two

That's a bit harsh there, Derek. Frontier was quite an enjoyable game, though it suffered from stupid relativity issues (causing you to die without ever being able to do anything about it) and you took WAY WAY WAY too long to gain rankings in this game. I delivered about 98,725,419 packages in this game, and made it to Lt. Colonel or something, I believe. Top rank of the left most column. There was still an entire column on the right hand side. This game makes X3 look like you're powerlevelling.

Other than that, it was very good and fun to play.

First Contact, now THERE I agree. I remember getting four separate "patch disks" sent to my home, and still suffering from absolute gamebreaking bugs.

Creston

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 20:45.

26. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2006, 20:41 MachineMk2

Alright...who summoned him?

25. No subject Nov 17, 2006, 20:30  dsmart 

It'll never - ever - happen. Here is what I said about this earlier.

Anyway he's full of sh*t. He knows for a fact that the space sim genre is not as big as it used to be and that for anyone to take E4 seriously - after the travesty that were the last two - that he'd have to literally have monkeys flying out of his butt to live up to the hype.

PLUS, factor in dev costs and the fact that no publisher will touch a space sim with the longest barge pole unless the devs were fully funding the development, what do you get? No Elite 4.

It is highly unlikely that he will ever do another Elite. Not when he has bills to pay. Especially when he can just crank out whatever rubbish a publisher happens to be paying for.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

24. Whatever Braben Nov 17, 2006, 19:24 Creston

Your last "game", First Contact had so many fucking bugs it's NEVER been completed by anyone. That was...shit, I dunno, 14 years or so ago? So now all of a sudden, I'm supposed to believe you can release a PLAYABLE modern game?

Sure.

Besides, this whole "Elite 4!!!!" theme has been going since 1999, and there's still not even a single screenshot to show anything is even being done. It's like the Duke Nukem of space games.

Creston

23. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2006, 19:07 Wildone

yep everything else since has been a poor substitute. If U extrapolate what he did back then to todays technology, it woulda been one heck of a game now!

22. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2006, 19:04 Bodolza

How come he managed to create a universe that felt more free alive than any game has managed since?

And fit it on a single floppy disk. I'm still astounded by that one.

-B

21. Re: Remakes Nov 17, 2006, 18:56 Wildone

how can u compare a point and click craptacular (EVE) to the visceral thrill that was Elite. Im lost for words????!??

20. Remakes Nov 17, 2006, 18:16 venomhed

Elite
StarFlight
Star Control
Sentinnel Worlds
Space Rogue
Sun Dog

All great games that could EASILY be modernized and appealing, especially Star Control and Sun Dog.

However, Space Rangers 2 was definitely a nod to Star Control and Star Flight (my fav game of all time).

But nope, we must make more FPSs' and Madden 2008,9,10,11,12 etc.

SO much for innovation and taking risks in America's safe, one hit wonder only marketing blitz thinking these days.

19. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2006, 17:39  cliffski 

surely not. Eve is massively like elite. it has the option to be a pirate, a huge universe connected by hyperspace jumps, the option to do trading and to have a score reflecting your standing with the police.
Eve *is* elite online. I was addicted to elite as a kid, its one of the greatest games ever, but why would someone bet on elite to take over from eve when eve has such a massive head start.
Forget space, and wizards, do me an MMO set somewhere original. purlease........
Napoleonic era europe would be cool.

http://www.positech.co.uk

18. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2006, 17:25 MachineMk2

The problem with Elite is we all love it for what it was. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure you could take those game elements and recreate it today.

Elite benefited from being probably the first GTA of its time. It was completely open ended, and that in itself made for something new. Heck, I was playing Elite on an Apple IIe with a CH Mach 1 joystick (although...I think I might have started on keyboard) on a green monochrome monitor.

Today...I think the X series comes close. My favorite modern day version was Indepedence War 2: Edge of Chaos. That was great...neutonian physics...fantastic game, but not without its problems.

Unfortunatley, to make Elite today it'd have to be more of a simulator...but a simple one. Eve is more of a spreadsheet with pretty graphics (I have a special place in my heart for Eve, but it's not the same spirit of Elite).

Elite was also, for lack of a better term, a very solitary experience. You were striving to be THE badass of the 8 galaxies...

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 17:28.

17. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2006, 16:31 Quan

Let me be the first to say:

Fuck you DEREK SMART, The king is returning.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo