Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Medieval II: Total War

SEGA of America offers the chance to go medieval once more, as Medieval II: Total War is shipping, and Creative Assembly's RTS sequel should be marching into North American stores:

SAN FRANCISCO (November 13, 2006) – SEGA® of America Inc. today announced the North American release of Medieval II: Total War for the PC. Developed by The Creative Assembly, this visually stunning game spans four and half centuries of the most turbulent era in Western history and provides players the reins to experience and rewrite one of the most fascinating periods of history to become the greatest power of the Middle Ages.

Medieval II: Total War drives the Total War franchise to a new level by completely upgrading the game's battlefield rendering system, eliminating the clone armies of the past games in the series and including a new, more realistic animation system. With over 10,000 troops now to command and hundreds of unit types, players can experience massive battles in graphically rich environments enhanced by dynamic weather effects and vastly diverse terrain. Leading armies across Europe, the Middle East, and even the Americas, players will encounter brutal real-time battles and the pure bloodlust of medieval warfare. As players progress, they will shape their empires by strategically determining whether to build castles for military power or cities for technology and trade, allowing for a greater depth of gameplay.

Medieval II: Total War for the PC is rated "T" for "Teen" by the Entertainment Software Review Board and has an MSRP of $49.99. For more information on the game, please visit www.totalwar.com. Screenshots and artwork can be found on the SEGA FTP site at http://segapr.segaamerica.com/

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Sir Nov 14, 2006, 10:58 Awesome Spume

Do not feed the trolls.

-------------------------------------------------
Dear Customer,

We can confirm, despite a European shortage of the Nintendo Wii consoles, that Play.com should be able to supply your pre-ordered Nintendo Wii at launch.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Sir Nov 14, 2006, 09:44 Ecthelion

I'm not really sure why Doom was more successful than Wolfenstein 3D (I assume that's the game you're talking about, since Castle Wolfenstein wasn't a FPS). Maybe it's the fact that Wolf 3D was my first PC game, but I thought it was great. When Doom came along, I didn't see what the fuss was all about. Sure, it had steps and diagonal angles, but besides the tech advances, it didn't really bring anything new to shooters.

15. Sir Nov 14, 2006, 04:13 venomhed

Keep dreaming. You and many others think reinventing the wheel is the only way to progress. Without evolution, there can be no revolution.

So you're going to tell me that all the FPS games out there suck except the very first one, which to my memory, would be a game called Corporation (Pre doom, pre duke nukem)? That game fucking sucked. However, Castle Wolfenstein from ID was very neat, but utterly shattered by Doom when that arrived.

So for you, Corporation, the game, is the best one out there. I will take the evolutionary route and say Doom was.

Let's look at sales and see who wins this argument.

14. Re: Sir Nov 14, 2006, 01:38 sir

If that is your basis for an arguement, then you better go back to playing Pong and using wood and stone as tools.

This game series didn't really interest me until Rome came about. Same with Splinter Cell, never liked it until Chaos Theory.

How's that slide show coming along? Since movies fall into your analogy right?

Another cretin who's graduated from the Derek Smart school of game design. Once again, feature creep does not make a good game. In most cases, memorable games come about through a paradigm shift in gameplay - revolution not evolution.

13. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2006, 00:27 Dave_b

A game of the first Medieval generally took a month if you weren't skiping work to play.
I've been playing since Shogun, and the pincal of the series for me was the first Medieval. The battles in that were significantly more challenging than Rome on Very Hard. Though Rome is beut - I still love watching a crew of Lombard Beserkers plowing into a bunch of grunts. I think every episode since Shogun has been a step foward, and after playing the demo I pretty sure they'll recapture the battlefield feel of Medieval uno.
But of course nothing is going to recapture that first sense of playing something that seemed to actually be sort-of-real, when everything had been so blatently a game (or a clunky hex-sim)

12. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2006, 22:16 Creston

Any way you look at it, M2:TW is leaps and bounds ahead of Shogun in almost every way. Granted Shogun might be a better game, but M2 is more advanced in every way.

Technologically, the game has definitely gotten better. They've also gotten rid of several bad design decisions and implemented others.
However, I have to say that none of the other Total Wars have the same feel as Shogun had. Also, you could play a game of Shogun in an evening. A game of Rome takes a week. I'm assuming a game of medieval will take at least a week, if not more.

Making the game more complex has in no way (in my opinion) made it better. Just more of a chore to play.

I'll still pick this up, sometime next year in the lean months.

Creston

11. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2006, 20:55 shinchan0s

Shogun is probably the only game in the last 10 years that lived up to the massive hype it got. Rome was a slight disappointment but Medieval II looks to make up for it.

And the next Total War game will be fantasy-based. Book it.

10. No subject Nov 13, 2006, 18:56 nin

download it its bene ot for a wile but i hav sum prob1em it lock up on a map screen time two time?

9. Cool Nov 13, 2006, 17:26 Muscular Beaver

Always wanted a new Medieval when I saw Rome.
I still play Rome from time to time.
I love the medieval age. Cant wait for this one!

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

________
I'm not... gonna... cry... you... dumb... doo-doo brain!
-Bubbles

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

8. Sir Nov 13, 2006, 17:12 venomhed

If that is your basis for an arguement, then you better go back to playing Pong and using wood and stone as tools.

This game series didn't really interest me until Rome came about. Same with Splinter Cell, never liked it until Chaos Theory.

How's that slide show coming along? Since movies fall into your analogy right?

7. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2006, 16:45 Malakai

Did you read what i had posted? I never said that added features and greater complexity equaled a better game. Read what i posted again. I merely said that M2:TW is more advanced.

But hey, i know you'll probably reply with "you're stupid" or something similar, so to advoid it, please, enlighten me as to what sequal that has come out recently that is a better game than it's predecessor.

6. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2006, 16:37 sir

Since when does added features and greater complexity equal a better game? No, I think you're the one who has been overdosing on the stupid pills. And by leaps and bounds I meant better, not stuffed with unnecessary bullshit that makes the game a chore to play.

5. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2006, 16:30 Malakai

Sorry that argument is just....stupid. Almost every single game played now is nothing more than a slightly more complex and pretty version of something created years ago.

M2:TW has come on in leaps and bounds. The diplomatic funcations, the battle sequences, the map/movement system on the strategy level, the implementation of cities vs citadels, traits to commanders, missions. Hell i could go on for a bit longer if you wanted me to.

Any way you look at it, M2:TW is leaps and bounds ahead of Shogun in almost every way. Granted Shogun might be a better game, but M2 is more advanced in every way.

4. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2006, 16:23 sir

Sorry, fanboy, perhaps you'd like to elaborate on how the game has come on in leaps and bounds and isn't just a prettier and slightly more complex version of what we were playing six whole years ago?

3. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2006, 16:11 DDI

Downhill? You are insane.

2. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2006, 14:57 MachineMk2

I want Civil War:Total War

1. No subject Nov 13, 2006, 14:00 sir

I remember being blown away by Shogun when it first appeared, but I think - stunning graphics aside - this series has gone downhill ever since. When are we going to get naval combat?

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo