Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Windows Vista

Microsoft finishes work on Windows Vista has word that Microsoft's new operating system has been deemed ready for prime time, and is due in stores on January 30:

SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp. finished work Wednesday on its long-delayed Windows Vista operating system, and said the software would be broadly available Jan. 30.

The announcement means Microsoft will meet just barely its revised goal of putting Vista in consumers' hands in the first month of 2007.

Windows Vista's code was released midmorning Wednesday to manufacturing a step that allows the company to begin making the copies that will be distributed with PCs and sold at stores, said Jim Allchin, co-president of the Microsoft division that includes Windows, in a conference.

"This is a good day," Allchin said.

Microsoft had previously said it would release Vista to big business clients at an event at the Nasdaq Stock Market on Nov. 30, and Allchin reiterated Wednesday that corporations who buy Windows licenses in bulk will get the new system this month. That's also in keeping with the company's revised release schedule.

The release will be the first major upgrade in more than five years to the operating system that powers most of the world's personal computers. Vista boasts improved graphics, more effective tools for finding documents, pictures and other items on personal computers, and a new Internet browser, among other changes.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

33. Vista Nov 9, 2006, 03:54 Carver

Windows, lol ...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2006, 03:45 Bhruic

Anyone who actually pays for pirated stuff should be shot.

Personally I'd rather have the people selling pirated stuff shot. They are, imo, morally worse, and as a bonus, there's generally less of them.

31. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2006, 03:26 Jerykk

Bluesnews: Software Piracy Shopping Forum?

Shopping? Anyone who actually pays for pirated stuff should be shot.

30. hehe, Nov 9, 2006, 03:23 TorTorden

Downloading the RC1 now, sigh.

I'm not doing this entirely because I want to. I am doing this so I dont have to say to a customer in a couple of months, "sry, I have never touched Vista, cant help you"

But to the customers who asks me right now what I think is best, I say "Buy a final XP box now, use that and xp for that machines lifetime and wait with vista until you need another hardware upgrade. That way most of the horrendous flaws will mostly have been fixed." inow I would say wait at least for SP1.

And yes I think Vista is going to be riddled with bugs/security holes. and anyone who thinks vista is going to be secure out of the box needs help. And I am willing to give it. For a price.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 03:24.

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

29. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2006, 02:51 PHJF

Bluesnews: Software Piracy Shopping Forum?

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

28. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2006, 01:36 Jerykk

Uh, how do you know? I mean, the "scene's" reputation is paramount in determining "clean" product, but damn, it's still hot software nonetheless.

Experience. After a while, you figure out what is reliable and what isn't. Basically, the whole piracy scene has rules and standards that official "scene" releases must follow. This includes stuff like bitrates for music, resolutions for movies, number of discs, source, etc. Releases from these groups are clean and trustworthy. Granted, there are often fakes released using scene names but if you have enough experience, distinguishing the genuine releases from the fakes is easy.

27. ugg Nov 9, 2006, 01:16 Kxmode

Everyone calmly make your way to your designated bomb shelters.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://www.bandwidthbling.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode
This comment was edited on Nov 9, 01:17.

26. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2006, 01:15 Masa

There are official "scene" releases that you can get from reliable sources like newsgroups and these are safe.

Uh, how do you know? I mean, the "scene's" reputation is paramount in determining "clean" product, but damn, it's still hot software nonetheless. You can't be sure all what you're actually downloading.

25. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2006, 00:31 Jerykk

You may trust Pirated versions not to have some sort of key logging or something worse... but I don't.

Guess you aren't very experienced with piracy. There are official "scene" releases that you can get from reliable sources like newsgroups and these are safe. Now, if you don't know anything about the "scene" and you just download WINXP.ZIP from Kazaa, you might need to be concerned.

24. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2006, 00:20 MMORPGHoD

Audidy 2 ZS (previous king; cheap now)

I used to use that card, until I experienced contant freezes and blue screens in certain games with my ASUS A8N-SLI AMD64 X2 motherboard. I read that other people were having the same problem and had to send it back to creative for a fix. Instead, I replaced it with a M-AUDIO revolution 7.1 card (nice card, but not geared for gaming) and never had a problem since.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 00:23.

23. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2006, 00:11 sponge

A nice target for virus makers.... can't wait to see a virus going out that shuts down / cripples a multitude legit Vista installs.

What use is a deactivated computer to a virus author? Nothing.

What's stopping a VIRUS running WHATEVER CODE IT WANTS from "deactivating" your windows install by deleting choice files? Nothing.

What has come of every single threat of security destruction by features MS has put in? (remember OMG XP ACTIVATION WILL BE TAKEN OVER BY VIRUSES?) Nothing.

If you have unauthorized code on YOUR machine, whether MS can deactivate it remotely or not is irrelevant, since THE VIRUS CAN DO WHATEVER THE HELL IT PLEASES ANYWAY!

22. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2006, 00:07 Smoove

Thanks to FreonTrip for summing up everything I was going to post. I used to be excited about this operating system, but that was years ago when it was going to have all these great new features. Those features one by one were removed, only to be replaced with new restrictions on how I can use my computer.

21. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2006, 00:03 wtf_man

Thankfully, pirated versions of Windows almost always bypass or remove such security measures completely.

You may trust Pirated versions not to have some sort of key logging or something worse... but I don't.

But on the flip side... since I do everything else in Linux... not exactly sure what possible good built in malware would do for the hacker.

Anyway... still not worth the risk... nor the download for that matter.

20. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2006, 23:57 Jerykk

And let's not forget the lovely rootkit / phone-home-ware WGA built into the OS this time... and that MS can remotely cripple your OS if they wish.

Thankfully, pirated versions of Windows almost always bypass or remove such security measures completely.

19. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2006, 23:48 Fantaz

*ignore double post*
This comment was edited on Nov 8, 23:48.

18. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2006, 23:48 Fantaz

Hey, what if Vista isn't all that bad after all? The OS should auto-update itself to stay efficient with people's needs.

17. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2006, 23:47 wtf_man

The 1st post (FreonTrip) is pretty much is on target. Although they did back off on some of the Draconian crap in the EULA, it's still pretty bad. And let's not forget the lovely rootkit / phone-home-ware WGA built into the OS this time... and that MS can remotely cripple your OS if they wish. A nice target for virus makers.... can't wait to see a virus going out that shuts down / cripples a multitude legit Vista installs.

No thanks, MS. As soon as PC games quit working on XP... it's time to quit buying games, for me. Linux does everything else I need, anyway... and with less resources gobbled up.

16. Re:Wait for SP1 Nov 8, 2006, 23:45 sponge

I'm not even bothering with Vista till way after SP1 is released.

I agree. I tried the RC, I'm not sure what the big deal is about. It'll take me a couple more hours after install to tweak it to the way I want. Is that the BEST way to go about it? Probably not. Vista brings a few cool features to the table, though; was reading something a few days ago, I wish I could remember what it was exactly :\

15. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2006, 23:04 PHJF

EAX isn't anything; it's a means to an end. All EAX does is add effects to voices, by instruction, and all each new EAX iteration does is increase both the number of voices and the effects applied to each voice. It's glorified reverb, nothing more.

Creative Lab's Soundblaster, on the other hand, has a sound processor built into it; the load is taken off the CPU (not that it's a huge load anyways). The newest X-Fi Soundblasters also have some RAM onboard to work with, but games explicitly need to be made to work with it.

The best Soundblaster available is the X-Fi (EAX 5 [Advanced HD, they call it]), followed by:
Audidy 2 ZS (previous king; cheap now)
Audigy 4 (not Audigy "4", but Audigy "EAX 4")

As I said, any third party card will generally have EAX 2, but better ones will come with Dolby DTS sound and other such more cinematic features. Creative Soundblaster is a GAMER soundcard; not home cinema stuff. You can find good sound cards for ~100$ for cheap, effective home cinema, and they should still at least have EAX2, so they are perfectly acceptable for gaming. I myself am still on a cheap 5.1 sound card I got *years* ago, and it still works great for both games and movies.

[EDIT]

Onboard audio has cought up with external sound cards. Most onboard audio of the past was (HORRIBLE) AC'97; anyone using it, as I have, will talk of the nightmares that ensued...

Intel HD Audio, the new onboard audio, is Dolby Digital and DTS capable, 7.1, with 192KHz 32-bit performance.

[/EDIT]

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."
This comment was edited on Nov 8, 23:09.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2006, 22:53 Skookum

Use EAX? For gaming it's the best for now. An audigy 2 soundcard will beat any onboard sound card I've ever tried, both in game sound and game performance. Gotta hate monopolies, but CL has the market right now. On the other hand, you can pick up an Audigy 2 for pretty cheap right now, and be assured of having top notch sound performance (completely different from video cards).

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo