Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NA Gold - Gothic 3

Aspyr sends word that the North American edition of Gothic 3 is gold, and gamers can begin having their time devoured by Piranha Bytes' RPG sequel on November 13. Here's the announcement, which also pimps a contest:

AUSTIN, Texas – October 27, 2006 – Aspyr Media confirmed today that its highly anticipated PC RPG Gothic 3 will ship on November 13 in North America, ensuring that it lands on store shelves by November 20.

“Obviously, Gothic 3 is an important title for Aspyr, but as a gamer I can’t wait for the holiday's best PC RPG to land in stores next month,” said Michael Rogers, President and CEO of Aspyr Media. “I can already picture folks across America grabbing a turkey leg, rolling up the sleeves of their snowflake sweaters and gathering the ones they love around the PC hearth to stomp orcs - as a family. After all, that's really what the holidays are all about."

Gothic 3 is rated T for Teen by the ESRB and will carry a SRP of $39.99. To learn more about Gothic 3, and to enter for your chance to win a high-end gaming PC, go to http://aspyr.com/product/info/54. Contest ends November 30.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

21. No subject Oct 27, 2006, 18:14 Luthier

The post-patch combat is less broken, and your level 40 fighter who can kill three bandits with one blow no longer gets raped by wild boars and other animals all the time.

However, the two other huge problems remain. Both are unlikely to get fixed.

1. "Quick" save takes anywhere from 30 seconds to over a minute, depending on your system specs; and a "quick" load takes twice as long. This makes all the other problems much more pronounced. You don't even dread getting killed as much as you dread having to sit there and listen to the whining strings of the loading music for the millionth time.

2. The quest system is pure shit. The quest log is a chat log, and half the quests don't even have the relevant information recorded. Most of the quests don't give you decent directions. You're told "go north of the town and bring an artifact from the ruins", when the entire area around town is covered with identical ruins, and after two hours of searching you discover the artifact was pretty much directly west. It's incredibly frustrating, especially as you get into the desert area. Also, no information about the quest giver is recorded besides his name.

The quest system is what brought me to uninstall the game. I've enjoyed it immensely in the beginning, but after a while it just became a tedious chore to run around in circles for hours, looking for a vaguely described NPC or location.

This game could have been great, but instead of trying to reach a broader audience, they went all-out to please the handful of masochistic German RPG fans who wanted their lives to be as miserable as possible. Bleh. I've never seen a title so promising, and was disappointed so bitterly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2006, 17:34 The Half Elf

Post patch verdict please Creston!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2006, 17:27 Jerykk

Holy crap, you're right! Looks like it fixes a lot of bugs. However, from what I've read, the NPC combat AI is still pathetic.

18. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2006, 17:04 Tehol

i think second patch is out.

17. Re: Love it anyway... Oct 27, 2006, 17:04 Jerykk

I'm working on freeing my 3rd city from the orc rules but hell if I wanted to I could just sabotage the whole thing and join the orcs... I love it.

You may want to stop liberating cities for the moment. I've read of a bug where if you liberate all the cities, you can't complete the main quest.

16. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2006, 17:01 MMORPGHoD

Gold already?

Why not? After all, that's really what releasing before the holidays is all about. The money!

15. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2006, 16:51 Jerykk

Gold already? The second patch isn't even finished yet. If the American version of Gothic 3 is the same as the Euro version, it'll get lambasted in the reviews for its lack of polish.

14. No subject Oct 27, 2006, 16:10 Bone43

Sounds like the euro version is a beta test just like the last two, glad i waited this time i suffered through the previous 2 until they finally fix most of the bugs at least the show stoppers, its to bad Jo Wood cant get it together as this is one of the best RPG titles out there.

Playing Fear extraction point so far just more of the same has that been there done that feeling im about three or four level in and board with it hopefully it will pick up or maybe ive just drifted away from my FPS roots.

13. Re: Not as pretty?! Oct 27, 2006, 15:54 xXBatmanXx

Even though you just slaughtered 8 others with no problems, if the last one manages to stunlock you, your character is buttered toast.

Butter side up or down?

Listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Squirrel Count: Catch & Release: 11 Shot: 19

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: Not as pretty?! Oct 27, 2006, 15:17 Skookum

"Runs smoothly" on my machine too. After everything loads off the hard drive that is :). I've put about 20 hours into it since I got it, and I'm finding it pretty addictive. I love the idea of "conquering" towns with massive battles. The enemy AI is just retarded though, so that takes away a considerable amount of the fun. It's difficult to recommend because of the bugs: the crashes to desktop, and the quirky way quest flags can screw up (sometimes quests work, sometimes they don't). As for the graphics, I have to disagree with you. I just don't see anything to really talk about, especially after playing Oblivion. Last but not least, you must have the patience to deal with wacky creatures that can attack you and kill you instantly with the stunlock bug. Even though you just slaughtered 8 others with no problems, if the last one manages to stunlock you, your character is buttered toast.

/edit - Buttered side DOWN dammit!

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 00:17.

11. Love it anyway... Oct 27, 2006, 15:12 Sepharo

My Gothic 3 runs about as smooth as schizophrenic doing the robot while ice skating.

But I still can't stop playing it. The RPG is so in depth and the fighting and leveling seem so old school. Oblivion felt too polished to me just didn't feel right and the story was pretty blah. Every quest means something directly to the story in Gothic 3. You feel like everything you do has consequences. I'm working on freeing my 3rd city from the orc rules but hell if I wanted to I could just sabotage the whole thing and join the orcs... I love it.

I probably have some of the lowest system specs allowed by the game and I run it at mostly medium settings with a delicious 18fps average, lot's of foliage 10fps, fighting 5fps [but hard to measure], and fighting in foliage... Just forget it.

Athlon 64 3200+
2Gigs DDR400 pc3200
Radeon 9800xt

Edit: Forgot to add that I have yet to have a crash or any major noticeable bug

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 15:59.

10. Re: Not as pretty?! Oct 27, 2006, 14:53 Cabezone

"run smooth" is relative.

How exactly is Gothic "deeper as an RPG" than Oblivion? I'm not necicarily disgreeing, I just don't understand when people say Oblivion isn't really an RPG.

"There's always money in the banana stand." - George Sr.
This comment was edited on Oct 27, 14:55.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

9. Re: Not as pretty?! Oct 27, 2006, 14:45 SlamDunk

What are your system specs?

http://personal.inet.fi/atk/kjh2348fs/sd_comp.html

1280x960 with all details @ max + INI performance and visual tweaks to make it run smooth and look amazing (much longer rendering distances for vegetation, DOF and entities etc.).

8. Re: Not as pretty?! Oct 27, 2006, 14:36 xXBatmanXx

To me Gothic 3 is the best looking game on the market right now. Hands down. If you got the comp to run it you will be amazed, I guarantee you. The sights in the beginning are nothing compared to what you'll see later on...

What are your system specs?

Listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Squirrel Count: Catch & Release: 11 Shot: 19

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Not as pretty?! Oct 27, 2006, 14:28 SlamDunk

[...] it's not as pretty as Oblivion

I disagree

To me Gothic 3 is the best looking game on the market right now. Hands down. If you got the comp to run it you will be amazed, I guarantee you. The sights in the beginning are nothing compared to what you'll see later on...

6. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2006, 14:01 Cutter

The game does have its share of problems, but the quality of the gameplay (story/quests/world) is not one of them. If you loved the first two you'll love this one too. As I've said before, it's not as pretty as Oblivion but it's much, much deeper as an RPG.

"They got a message from the Action Man, "I'm happy, hope you're happy too. I've loved all I've needed to love. Sordid details following"

- Ashes to Ashes, David Bowie

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

5. No subject Oct 27, 2006, 13:48 space captain

i really dont think people are prepared for the level of bullshit this game will try to feed you

its one of the buggiest games of all time, right up there with Dung Lords.. yeh the game itself is a bit better - but who gives a shit when you cant even play the fucking thing??

skip it, skip it so hard

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2006, 13:35 Jaenos

Not a huge fan of Gothic, but NWN wasn't that good and Obsidian sucks, so really, I'll agree with him on that.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 13:35.

3. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2006, 13:14 Fion

Pfft Hollidays best PC RPG haha.

I'm sure it'll be good but they have a little product called Neverwinter Nights 2 to contend with for that title. A game Desslock called 'Obsidians best work since Planescape: Torment and the best RPG since Baldur's Gate 2.'

Not that I'm complaining. The more CRPGs the better!

2. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2006, 12:58 CptStern

there's supposed to be a patch coming before NA release that addresses the problems ...well I sure as hell hope so because besides the game stopping bugs the game is supposed to be pretty good

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo