Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Need for Speed Carbon Demo

This EA FTP Directory offers a playable demo for Need for Speed Carbon, allowing the chance to test drive the latest installment in the street racing series. The demo is a 650 MB download, which is mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, ComputerGames.ro, FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2006, 02:20 Alak

Yeah, I guess it doesnt come from games. But media has an effect on people. Some people are more suseptable to advertising than others.

Like my cousin, who crashed his car into a telephone pole on the way home from Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift.

Everyone can agree on a system, but it only takes one man on a soap box to completely mess it up.

"They know percisely when racing started. It was when the 2nd automobile was invented." - Richard Petty

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: No subject Oct 31, 2006, 23:45 Masa

And you wonder where all these new legislations about street racing come from.

Not from games! Jeez, street racing with anything that has wheels has been around longer than you or I combined.

45. No subject Oct 30, 2006, 00:41 Alak

*Start Rant*

I donno if any of you remember Motor City Online. That was not a half bad game. The physics engine was more based on the weight of the car, rather than the suspension setups. But the fact that there was billions of parts to build your motors with got me hooked.

In any game, everyone buys the best, but MCO had no best. Its what worked best for you.

Porsche Unleashed is by far my favourate racing game of all time. In fact, as a result of that game, a number of years ago I bought an old Porsche. And next year, Im buying a new one. EA made the game so good it influenced me enough to buy the car.

Now, if anything, they've made people stay away. They put cars in games people already own and butcher them with arcade physics, flashy lights and the element of breaking every law. And you wonder where all these new legislations about street racing come from.

They went from glorifying cars to destroying the very fibres for which they stood for.

*End Rant*

44. No subject Oct 28, 2006, 23:40 Ledge

"Anyway, here's what I want to see back in the series:

- Multiple times of day: I remember the good ol' days where you could race during the day and at night IN THE SAME GAME(!).

- Car Damage: Adds depth to the game and actually requires you to drive well.

- Good replay function: Disappeared in Underground, came back in limited form in Underground 2 and then disappeared again in Most Wanted (which really, really would have benefit from good replays). Not sure if it is in Carbon.

- Unique, self-contained tracks: Yes, carving tracks out of a big city lets you have more except none of these tracks feels distinct or memorable. I replayed HP, HS and PU a lot because of the varied tracks, whereas I didn't replay the Underground games or Most Wanted at all. I want unique point-to-point tracks ala PU!

And that's it."

and how about half decent physics.

43. Re: no work Oct 28, 2006, 22:31 Alak

Im driving through Burnaby on sunday. Anyone up for Egging/Paintballing the EA Building?

42. no work Oct 28, 2006, 17:09 Dr.Kimble

don't d/l...it doesn't work

41. Re: Really? Oct 28, 2006, 13:25 Krovven

Car compaines use to not want there cars damaged I agree, But someone please tell that to SimBin who developed the best driving sim ever in GTR 2. so that dosent hold up anymore.

GTR2 are race cars, not street cars. Does GTR2 use the proper company/model names, or is a made up name like they used in say Grand Theft Auto? GTR2 is also raced on professional closed circuits without traffic/pedestrians/public structures, etc.

I used to work at EA, I worked on Need For Speed 2. You can try and dispute me all you like, but this is the reason why there is no damage modelling is most NFS games. And as someone pointed out, damage doesnt lend itself very well to the arcade style racing that the NFS series is.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Company of Heroes.

40. Re: Really? Oct 28, 2006, 12:19 Cheese

Car compaines use to not want there cars damaged I agree, But someone please tell that to SimBin who developed the best driving sim ever in GTR 2. so that dosent hold up anymore.

39. bleh Oct 28, 2006, 04:56 Ouch

I only drove the Camaro but it was way too easy to win. I was just messing around trying to crash and slide and I still won all 3.

The handling is too cartoonish. It also completely changes for no explainable reason on the drifting track. You slide like an ice rink on the drifting track even if you drive exactly the same as you do on the other tracks. What a bunch of b.s.

I like that they finally pulled their heads out of their backside and included a few muscle cars.

The car customization tools are interesting though the fourth option on the Camaro hood completely locked up my computer every time that I clicked it. You've got to love waiting through that blue screen checking for disk errors after a crash.

They also should have made the custom muscle car options more like something that would really get added instead of just trying to make them look like the imports. Overall I give them credit for at least trying though.

I don't think I'll get this.

38. Re: Really? Oct 28, 2006, 01:36 Jerykk

Once the damage bar ran out, your car just stopped working, please correct me if Im wrong, its been 6 or 7 years since I played it.

You're wrong. Car damage had an active effect on your performance and handling. For example, if you had taken a lot of damage to the upper left-hand side of your car, your vehicle would start drifting towards the left and you'd have to compensate. Also, your headlights could be knocked out, making it very difficult to navigate the poorly-lit tracks at night. Porsche Unleashed had similar damage modeling, only visual damage was limited to textures and I don't think you could knock your headlights out.

A game like Most Wanted does not lend itself to damage modeling anymore than a first person shooter; you are going way too fast in narrow city streets taking very tight corners.

The reason why MW didn't lend itself to car damage is because the whole game revolves around aggressive driving. You get points for destroying property, hitting other cars and breaking through police barriers. In addition, getting hit by a Rhino would completely trash your car if there was any car damage.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 01:40.

37. Re: No subject Oct 28, 2006, 00:34 Bludd

I had the same problem and enabling Windows 2000 compatibility mode for autorun.exe worked for me.

36. Re: No subject Oct 28, 2006, 00:06 StaTik

I had to disable my net connect and kill kerio to get it to install. Its phoneing somebody and it trips out when it cant get though a firewall.

35. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2006, 23:38 ExitWound

Same here. Can't get it to install. No license agreement and no DirectX0.

34. No subject Oct 27, 2006, 22:52 supaidaaman

Ok, i have downloaded this demo 3 times and extracted it. I get no text showing in the license agreement, and it crashes and tells me i dont have directx installed.

EA sucks.

33. No subject Oct 27, 2006, 22:41 Alak

Game support for 64-bit OS seems non-exsistent.

Just a comment on Damage. Automakers dont allow damage in most games because some people will rely on that information in real life. I.E. I crashed my car at 200MPH and its only a little banged up and it runs. So therefore, some dumbass, somewhere will crash his car, somehow live, and sue based on the information assesed from the videogame enviornment. I did it in LA in the game, why couldn't I do it in real life.

Anyone else notice street racing and high speed pursuits go through the roof in the last couple years?

Im gonna go play some Porsche Unleashed.

32. Re: Really? Oct 27, 2006, 21:50 PHJF

The car companies do not want their cars getting destroyed, even in a video game.

... Or damage modeling is too complex for developers so they ignore it. Or they just assume nobody will care if it isn't there.

A game like Most Wanted does not lend itself to damage modeling anymore than a first person shooter; you are going way too fast in narrow city streets taking very tight corners. It was fine in a game like Porsche Unleashed because most tracks consisted of five-lane highways with wide-ass turns.

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

31. Re: Really? Oct 27, 2006, 20:41 Masa

The car companies do not want their cars getting destroyed, even in a video game.

Heh, and people say advertisements in the forms of posters, products, and billboards in-game are way too obtrusive.

30. Re: Really? Oct 27, 2006, 18:03 Krovven

actually I remember I could damage my car in High Stakes so much it became a pain to drive, and it also LOOKED like it.

Changing the skins on the car to look like it is taking damage is not what I call "taking damage". I had forgotten about High Stakes, but I'm pretty sure no other Need For Speed game has ever had the player car models deform with damage that actually degrades the driving quality and control. And in High Stakes, if I recall correctly had a damage bar, but didnt actually degrade the driving control. Once the damage bar ran out, your car just stopped working, please correct me if Im wrong, its been 6 or 7 years since I played it. The reason behind this though, is because of the licensing agreements to have the real cars in the game. The car companies do not want their cars getting destroyed, even in a video game.

NFS games have always been arcade racing (except for the very first 3D0 version), but a couple versions did have a "simulation" option that changed how the cars controlled (most notably NFSSE & NFS2).

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Company of Heroes.

29. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2006, 17:50 Elf Shot The Food

I had a lot of fun with Most Wanted, and I liked the Underground games too.

I guess there's something wrong with me.

28. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2006, 17:33 The Half Elf

Honestly this is crap. The need to call it what it is.
Underground 3: Ugly Crap.

yeah the body molding was neat, but other then that it sucked. And it has drifting which is an automatic no-buy for myself. (Yeah I had underground 2, but didnt know about drifting and it's not required to beat the game THANK GOD!).

Hopefully with Test Track: Unlimited being pushed back for the PC it'll find a nice cozy home on my pc

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo